infiniteviking

Strategic holiday breeding vs the AP: what do you do?

image.png.b3d3291c7a35756f083891cffdd649e2.png

So you're ramping up for holiday season, testing new mates for your lineages to be sure they're compatible during the only week you can add to them, maybe doing a miniature BSA mass-breed for people who would probably like some extra reds, pinks, aeons, or magis right now. Or you've been so busy you haven't had time to breed your vast hoard of old-holiday lineages yet, but you can still make a run for it before time runs out. Or it's today, deep into the post-holiday wall, and you're adding non-influenceable eggs to hatcheries and hatch-and-releasing everything you have room for while thinking about breeding some shinies for the AP, but it's started to dawn on you what happened to all the the low-time commons withering away behind the holiday stampede....

And if you're me, you get paranoid and wonder: given the average volume of holiday breeding, whatever that shapes up to be in a given season, when should I breed or hatch-and-release to the AP so the eggs won't die without a chance to be caught?

I've seen this come up during event-breeding and holiday-release conversations, but haven't found a general thread for it, so here's one now. Do you strategize your holiday breeding with AP survival chances in mind? Do you have equations, groups, spreadsheets, reminders, or other organizational tools that keep you on track? Do you have questions about how the AP works on holidays, such as what happens to any remaining hatchlings when the flood suddenly disappears and makes way for low-time commons? When test-breeding and discarding unneeded holiday-kin eggs, or breeding to keep a lineaged egg and discarding its siblings, does it matter to your scroll-management style whether they'll survive the holiday wall? (There are no wrong answers!) Come on in and share your thoughts and practices for breeding to the AP around each holiday rush. 

Hmm... I mostly just breed holiday dragons in two groups:

- The ones I want offspring from, when it is convenient for me

- The newer / more colorful ones, when I notice that the AP is full of all one color (which doesn't actually address the "wall" I was responding to, but makes me feel like I'm doing something.)

So no, I don't really have much strategy there.

I'm planning to try to breed some of my non-holidays in a day or two, preferably timed such that if not picked up, the last Halloween eggs would run out of time just as mine dip down into hatch-immediately territory.

I don't really care if my eggs want to go and die behind a wall, though.  I subscribe to the "just pixels" school of thought these days.

Very fair! I'm usually a mix of "just pixels" and "having fun headcanoning things"; it mainly matters to me if I'm breeding BSAs, rares, or pretty lineages for people to enjoy hunting. :D

I don't breed my holidays any more except for my own lineages and for specific requests. I don't specially mind pixel creatures dying - it just feels wasteful, and drags out a wall that people don't much appreciate these days. Then I trawl the AP myself for new lineage inspiration.

I'm a bit like Fuzz, although I do breed a few on the first day or so just because I think they are nice lines.

Other than that I only breed ones I need for myself or to gift or trade. The walls have gotten so large lately and I don't like to add to that uninfluenceable backlog.

I do like trawling the wall to try to find mates for some of my holiday-kins, or nice new lineages. I use Aeons to check and toss back ones that won't work for me. I don't ever seem to have enough Aeons to get me through the wall, though. I have more this year than I have had before and it is still not likely to be enough. I still have a few left now and I am hatchie locked now, so it will depend on how long the wall lasts! XD

My strategic planning is pretty much all in the "what do I need to breed for my own projects or for trade partners?" category.  Once I have that planned out, I will breed any leftover CBs to the AP over the holiday period. 

There seem to be more than enough 3G-and-up AP eggs, so I have stopped breeding those now and just concentrate on 2Gs, especially breeds that are newer.  I bred 13 CB Arcanas this Halloween, and of all the eggs they produced I kept 1 for me and 1 for a trading partner; all the rest went off to break up the Lurker/Marrow wall.   :)  I bred a couple of CB Kohrakis to the AP, too! 

On 11/4/2020 at 10:31 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't breed my holidays any more except for my own lineages and for specific requests. I don't specially mind pixel creatures dying - it just feels wasteful, and drags out a wall that people don't much appreciate these days. Then I trawl the AP myself for new lineage inspiration.

Same here - though my AP hunting in the week prior and the actual breeding week is limited to only going for eggs of the breeds I need in the hopes they're CB or a 2g of the lineage I'm working on [fun fact - checked over 50 Caligene eggs...not one other person was crossing them with Monarchs :(]

Oh I'm so sorry; I found a couple but - I didn't like then and threw them back.

I couldn't find any marrows with rosebuds, myself. Then I got one. Oh joy.

It misgendered of course.

I struggled with all of this this time around. In past years I would just collect eggs from the AP and keep the ones I thought were pretty. When the CB biome was added, I moved to collecting a little from there, especially with the pumpkins, since Marrows were my first Halloween event here but I still collected from the AP more.

This year I was able to wrap my head around the linages I had and make a plan for breeding but when it came time to breed them, I was over whelmed because I could basically only breed one lineage and was unable to collect any AP eggs until after the holiday was over so some of the lineages probably misgendered. Even thinking about it now it's not reasonable to be able to get really far on the three lineages I set up this year, especially if I have any refusals, as I can't collect CB dragons until next year and the cycle will start all over again.

I understand the desire to have more time for breeding holiday dragons than just the 6 days leading up to the event. It would have been more enjoyable for me if I could breed my lineages then go hunting in the AP.

I had a couple lineages that I bred and released into the AP later on in the event week. Obviously I'm thrilled if the eggs make it onto someone's scroll and they get a forever home but I'm also okay if the egg didn't make it, I know that there's so much breeding and extra eggs going on it's hard to save them all.

I'm about to sit down and do the same thing for christmas but this will be harder since you can't have unlimited CBs so have to plan more towards trading and what you have to offer than just trying to put together a lineage yourself. I think it would be fun to maybe have some kind of gifting event that would allow people to get more CB Christmas and Valentines while still keeping the spirit of giving theme going.

Maybe that will be a little less stressful for me, we can see.

Edited by water_angel