Moonlight_Eevee

Extend Halloween New Release Drops

9 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Given that I only *saw* 2 Kohraki in the Halloween biome this entire week, I'd say 'easy to grab extra' is very subjective. The previous year's breed always goes super-fast in the Halloween biome, I'd say it's 'easier' to grab extras you need after two years (although Arcanas have been strangely hard for me this year)... Especially when it comes to lineage-makers, I'd say waiting 2 years to get your fill of CBs is a little much. 

Imo, it'd be different if the one-day drop was a *continuous* drop and we didn't have such horrible lag issues. But given that the lag *is* such an issue and the 5-minute drops can get snatched up within just a few refreshes, more time would be really nice.

I'm going to add onto this. This is the reason last year CBs are always in demand. While it's true that there are 'methods' in place for those who miss Halloween, its always almost never enough as they start dropping way after everyone else has had their fill and have more room to grab the new eggs. Not to mention that there's always new players joining in and trying to catch up on getting Halloween dragons. 

I standby a solid 48 hours if we can't have 3 days.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

Imo, it'd be different if the one-day drop was a *continuous* drop and we didn't have such horrible lag issues. But given that the lag *is* such an issue and the 5-minute drops can get snatched up within just a few refreshes, more time would be really nice.

Regardless of how long the drop is, this raises a good point; the Halloween release really should be a continuous drop. The Halloween biome should also be continuous, on that note.

I think at least 48 hours and a continuous drop is the best scenario.

4 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

That aside, I'm pretty neutral on this. Now that we have the halloween biome, its quite easy to grab extra CBs of past breeds/missed breeds AND there's always people who catch and dump new eggs to the AP as they hunt for ones with their desired codes [I recall seeing a Kohraki wall last year at one point, all CBs]

So could it help people who can't get on during halloween? Yes. But at the same time, there are already methods in place to 'help' those who miss the drop

It's not easy at all for those of us with rural or slow internet! It's crazy difficult. 
It took me from midnight to around 3 pm to get this year's new dragons.
This past week when I was hunting the Halloween biome, I never even *saw* a Kohlraki.

I missed most of the original Omen drop, and I think I finally hit 8 total this year, and those were now two Halloweens ago.

Continuous drops for the new, and more varied drops for the Halloween biome, and at least one more day to alleviate some of the catching stress would be such a quality improvement! I support this suggestion! Plus it would give more time to get the treats and finish event. There's so much to get done, that it gets a little overwhelming. Extremely fun!, but a bit stressy.

Edited by Uther_Pendragon
Forgot a word

I too would support a longer drop period. Three days, to make it the same as Christmas & Valentine's Day, would be wonderful. Personally, I don't want to nab more than eight of the new release, but I would like the extra time in order to do another round of breeding past Halloween dragons. Also, it would be good to know you did have a little bit of grace if there is a particularly bad lag or something.

I too would also really, really like to see the eggs dropping continuously at Halloween. 

Ah, crap. I missed out (called in to work) because I wasn't aware it wasn't a three-day thing. Support.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Looking at the AP - not so sure....

I don't know if I'd consider this a problem or not, but it's something to think about. The last I checked, we were on the 27th in the AP. Extending Halloween drops does create even more of a backlog--on par with the other holidays.

As for the suggestion, I'm neutral. I do think continual drops all day long would alleviate some of the problem.

22 hours ago, KrazyKarp said:

The Cavern Lurkers were released after October 31 one year, though I don't recall why. Those may have been what you saw.

I definitely support this. Like others have said, even just making it 48 hours would help.

KrazyKarp, it was extend because of Hurricane Sandy. A lot of us, myself included, had no power around Halloween. I remember catching my 7 (which was the top limit at the time) on my kindle instead of my desktop, with very little power left. I'm surprised they actually survived. XD I was a bit sad they all turned out to be male so I didn't have any CB pairs. I did manage to get some nice 2nd gens the following year. And the holiday cave, in my humble opinion, was the best thing ever! :D

To get back to the topic at hand, I support this. The lag was HORRIBLE & it took me 3 hours just to get 4 eggs. XD I was glad I was able to grab the other 4 in the morning, thanks to what I'm calling "an extended drop" (no mixing in with other eggs). I work, so when Halloween falls during the week, it's a nightmare trying to grab my fill. I was even around for the Marrow drop, where there was a very limited pool of eggs & after staying up ALL NIGHT, I only managed to get a pair of CBs. I definitely think 2, 3 days like the other holidays would be a good thing. I get that some people hate the wall of holiday eggs in the AP & walls of holiday eggs in the Cave, but it seems the vast majority of people prefer to extend the Halloween drop.

I'm in favor of extending the drop by one day. But if we can't get an extension, then it at least needs to be continuous, or at least much bigger than it is now. :s

During the five minute drops it looked like only 5-15 eggs were being generated per biome (and very unevenly between biomes as well), and they were getting scooped up pretty quickly all day. That wasn't because of users being greedy and wanting more. It was because people couldn't even grab enough to hit their egg limit, or because they couldn't get online at all until later in the day. I have a pretty solid connection and even I was getting flustered during the first 12+ hours, both because of how fast the eggs were flying by and because of the lag.

It's one thing to allow users to be "greedy" by trading for extra eggs/hatchlings after the drop ends, but everyone should at least have a chance to catch that initial 4-8 egg limit. There's no reason for it to be so stressful.

Edited by 11th

I figure TJ has had this suggestion a fair bit. For what it's worth, I agree.

I'd also love to see more quantity of eggs in the Halloween drops in general, as the eggs disappear very quickly due to people being able to grab a full egg lock worth of them. This isn't the same as a normal release, this is a limited event dragon, and the "competition" is not fair for people who can't be around for hours on that day.

11 hours ago, Aventurine said:

I would rather have continuous drop than more days, honestly.

Why not both?

13 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Why not both?

If 'both' is an option, maybe so!  But it was being posited as an either-or thing.

Bumping this because it's only becoming more and more of a notable problem as time goes on. 48 hours is still in the spirit of having to grab what you grab in a single go while being a much more lenient time frame for everyone who needs to work or has family obligations or both during this time.

Support. I didn't realize Halloweens only got 1 day, which just doesn't make sense imo. 

Yes, definite support. I see no point in making life difficult for people and next year’s competition in the Halloween biome would be less cut throat as well if people can just pick up the new eggs they want now. 

I support this but also think drops should be larger. Getting three refreshes before all the eggs are gone is ridiculous!

Either a non-stop 24 hour release or bump it to 3 like the rest. It's halloween, we're supposed to get as many as possible, I've never struggled this much in the prior years, it's just this year alone.

Given how big the site has gotten, full support for a 2 day continuous drop. 3 days would also be fine, as I got 11 graves last year due to persistent AP hunting, so I don't see much of a downside to letting people double dip with incubates.

Edited by Skadi

yeah, i wouldn't be opposed to a full 3-day drop by any means. i just figured that it hadn't been changed when valentines did for a reason, so a 48-hour drop seems like a good compromise.

I'm fine with the Halloween eggs continuing to be a 24-hour phenomenon (though I wouldn't be upset if it was extended), but I think it's a necessity that way more eggs be produced!  It's insane to me, as a long-time player, that it's now 6 PM Cavetime and eggs are still evaporating from the biomes in literal seconds on the 5-minute drops.  In past years, when the player base was smaller, I could count on eggs standing in the biomes by the afternoon, so people with slower internet or an unhelpful work schedule could still catch some.  It appears DC has grown enough that that's not happening anymore!  Which is great in some ways, but really emphasizes the need for tweaks to the holiday system. 

I don't see why the number of eggs generated couldn't be higher or infinite during the 24-hour drops; there's no reason eggs should run out, when there's only one day out of 365 that they exist in the first place.  24 hours of eggs would be great!  But right now we're getting eggs for only a fraction of that 24 hours: if we get 2 minutes of eggs being present at every hourly drop, and 30 seconds at every 5-minute drop, which is what it seems to be doing about now, that's 48min + 5.5 seconds - not even an hour of availability, out of 24!  Even if the drops lengthen later on, we've only got 6 hours left; it's not going to change the math drastically.

If an egg's only going to be available for 24 hours, it should be available for most of those 24 hours, not a small percentage of them.  Increased or continuous egg production seems like an obvious option to deal with this.

I agree 100% with @sorenna. I can see why TJ might be reluctant to extend the drop to 3 days, considering that without the CB egg limit that other holidays have it would allow more hoarding of eggs. (Not that I agree, but it may be the way he is thinking.)

But I do definitely think that we should have more eggs at each drop to give people with limited time or poor connections a better chance to get their eggs without stressing the way so many are today. By the time we get this late in the day it should not still be so hard for people to get their eggs.

I've never only had 3 z'codes this late on a Halloween.  Something feels off.  Eggs should be sitting there by now as everyone gets egg-locked.

24-hours is perfect (I think 3 days is way to long at Christmas and Valentines), but it should be a continuous drop.  Why limit eggs we can only get one day a year?