Moonlight_Eevee

Extend Halloween New Release Drops

With more and more Halloween dragons being avaliable for a limited time, it's getting harder and harder for players to pick up the new Halloween releases when they happen due to a very limited scroll space which are being used to work on lineages or picking out random eggs from the AP.

My suggestion is that we raise the new Halloween Drop than just 24 hours. I say we get another day or two so people who are busy with work or just simply don't have time to visit DC that day have a slightly extended time to get their fill instead of hoping people are willing to depart with their treasure or trying to snag the eggs from the AP which people will be racing for. 

I neither support nor object to this suggestion, but the number of assorted Hallowe'en breeds has nothing to do with this; if you can't be on on 31st; that's the day you miss - and it has always been that way.

I'd still rather bump it up to either a second day if not a third day like Valentines and Christmas. The whole point for those 2 holidays is that people can be busy those days and still have a few extra days to catch the eggs they want. Why shouldn't the same be applied for Halloween?

Support!
While it makes sense that Halloween dragons appear on Halloween it's somehow really counterproductive to have the breeds you can have unlimited CBs of only drop 1 day while the ones that are limited to 2 (and therefore much faster obtainable as people become locked with them) are obtainable for 3 days...
(Also, at least November 1st is also a holiday in some parts of the world...)

Edit: Oh yeah, I completely forgot, that while Christmas kinda makes sense, because there are 3 Christmas days, Valentine's also is just one day, but has 3 days of drops, so it really doesn't make any sense. (Also, as can be seen now, trying to get these eggs is horribly difficult)

Edited by TheDoggy

Support, I never understood why Halloween only got a day considering it can be just as busy for people IRL and CBs are unlimited which makes them harder to catch. And on top of that, the lag...

Wait, the others get 2-3 days and Halloween only gets one? I was unsure, but now that I know that then that's a 100% support from me. That's so weird that it's not consistent...

I will always support this, it doesn't seem intuitive to me that the one holiday release that's not limited to 2CB per scroll is shorter in drops than they are....

And the Halloween = 31st only hardly applies if Valentine = 14th only doesn't. In my country we don't even celebrate Halloween and I'm sure we aren't the only ones. 

Edited by Alwerien

1 hour ago, TheDoggy said:

Support!
While it makes sense that Halloween dragons appear on Halloween it's somehow really counterproductive to have the breeds you can have unlimited CBs of only drop 1 day while the ones that are limited to 2 (and therefore much faster obtainable as people become locked with them) are obtainable for 3 days...
(Also, at least November 1st is also a holiday in some parts of the world...)

It really does seem like it'd be more logical if it were flipped the other way... Users can only have 2 of the new Holiday/V-days, which means they'll get their 'fill' faster, and it's less of a battle to get them in general since so many people are 'out of the race' after grabbing their 2, so why does that go for three days? While Halloweens, which are not limited and people are able to get as many as their 'growing things' limit allows, are confined to 1 day? 

I've never been a big fan of 'extend the holiday drops' suggestions, but even I see that it doesn't make sense the way it is right now. 

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

Users can only have 2 of the new Holiday/V-days, which means they'll get their 'fill' faster, and it's less of a battle to get them in general since so many people are 'out of the race' after grabbing their 2, so why does that go for three days?

The reason that's been cited in the past is that those CB event dragons are supposed to be stress-free acquisitions, whereas Halloween is more 'competitive'. The reason that's been cited as to why Halloween's not also a three day drop was that with there being no limit to how many new Halloweens a scroll can have, extending it to three days would mean people with a bunch of incubates would get a second load of Halloweens.

That said, while I feel the first of those is a more than fair reason to have long and lazy holiday season and Valentine drops, I personally don't think the second's a particularly strong argument for keeping the Halloween drop shorter.

Ultimately, I don't at all mind if it's kept as-is, but I do support extending Halloween drop to three days as well. ❤️ I for one would love to be able to use Halloween proper to do more breeding for my lineages and then catch my CBs on the 2nd of November. ^_^ I don't think it would do any harm if the community were able to do that.

Doubling up my support just from seeing the horror lag and errors we are having now. This is just impossible and I reckon extending it to 3 days would make things better.

6 hours ago, pinkgothic said:

The reason that's been cited in the past is that those CB event dragons are supposed to be stress-free acquisitions, whereas Halloween is more 'competitive'. The reason that's been cited as to why Halloween's not also a three day drop was that with there being no limit to how many new Halloweens a scroll can have, extending it to three days would mean people with a bunch of incubates would get a second load of Halloweens.

Not being able to even reach the page, best stressful competition.

Edited by Alwerien

Feels like this sentiment has been coming up more often in the past few years. Like a few other QoL changes I think there's little downside so I can't see the harm in just doing it and adding another day.

However, since this hasn't been done I assume the powers that be have some reservations about this suggestion. It'd be nice to know what those were exactly, but yeah. For the sake of discussion I'm going to try and play devil's advocate and come up with some possible reasons:

1. People could catch more than one batch of new Halloween eggs.

Spoiler

- For a 3 day Halloween drop yes, if you use Incubate. I don't see this as a downside personally, since why does it matter if some people get more CBs? Less competition in the Halloween biome next year, score. Maybe with 16 new eggs they'll trade some off to less fortunate people. If getting a bunch of new Halloweens is such a worry why wasn't a limit wasn't put in place to begin with.

- For a 2 day drop, even with Incubate you'd have to gamble with Earthquake and at that point who cares. They're risking eggs with no guarantee they'll be replaceable, so I don't have a problem with a handful of people getting another last minute batch. There have been issues in past years where Halloween drops ceased completely within the last hours, I sure know I wouldn't gamble those odds.

- Anyways, the quickest and most dedicated AP stalkers-- or those who just have a lot of time on their hands-- can get another batch of new Halloweens from the AP during the holiday wall regardless.

2. Halloween is about "greed".

Spoiler

- I think I remember "greed" being mentioned as a reason in a previous year's thread, but I don't remember the gist of it. With 2 days of drops you can still be just as greedy, only less frantic and stressed. 3 days drops allows even more greedy hoarding.

3. Halloween is about "competition".

Spoiler

- pinkgothic mentioned this too. I think if competition was the goal for Halloween drops, 2 days could still accomplish that. 3 days would be even better, then you have the incubate-lings vs. late-comers. It's still kind of a weird reason for short Halloween drops though. Does this mean the lag and short drop numbers are intentional? Is this all some twisted schadenfreude experiment? Halloween is like the best holiday for gifting, swapping lineages, and breeding for others due to the lack of limit on CBs. I almost see VDay and Xmas as more competitive due to fewer CBs.

- Maybe this is a big reason an extension hasn't been implemented. However, it's such an odd reason to both argue for or against because the reality of competition feels subjective. Is the current state of DC Halloween seen as a success regarding competition? How is that judged? Maybe someone else can shed reasoning behind this.

4. Halloween only lasts one day in real life.

Spoiler

- VDay does too. I guess you could argue Halloween lasts longer than Valentines if you want to stretch out certain celebrations, traditions, etc. I don't think a 2 or 3 day drop would kill anyone's immersion about Halloween.

5. Worried that people will dump loads of CBs into the AP and catch more from biomes, repeatedly, for the hypothetical 2 or 3 days.

Spoiler

- Again I personally don't see why it matters if people can fill up on more CBs from the AP after Halloween. They'll still be restricted by egg/hatchling limits, and if that's too generous then a cap could be placed on how many new CBs you can own the first year (16?). I think the phenomenon of the holiday walls-- and subsequent influencing issues-- is a multifaceted beast of its own.

- If you really, really don't want people filling up on multiple AP batches from an extended 2-3 day Halloween drop, you could make new Halloweens have a limit or un-abandonable. I realize this would upset a lot of people and I wouldn't want this either, but I can't be sure where the line is being drawn when it comes to "how many CBs is too much."

- For some reason I feel this may be the issue powers that be have with extending the drop. I feel like every other reason against it is either subjective (what Halloween is "about") or contradictory (don't want people filling up 2 batches, even though people already can thanks to trading/AP).

That's all the reasons against an extension I can think of. Maybe there's others. I can't imagine Halloween being a 1 day drop is simply a "just because" thing.

I think I've already supported a similar suggestion in the past, but I'll support this one too. Even just increasing it to 48 hours would help. DC Halloween is pretty busy compared to other holidays and the shortened 24 hour drop contributes to that in my opinion. I do see how extending the drop could worsen the holiday wall but like Nine I feel that issue needs it's own thread.

At least 48 hours would be fantastic! Then one could have 4 rounds of Halloween breeding and not just the three ones can do at the moment without blocking the egg slots needed for catching the new release.

51 minutes ago, Astreya said:

At least 48 hours would be fantastic! Then one could have 4 rounds of Halloween breeding and not just the three ones can do at the moment without blocking the egg slots needed for catching the new release.

I will support, as these are very good reasons.

7 hours ago, Nine said:

Feels like this sentiment has been coming up more often in the past few years. Like a few other QoL changes I think there's little downside so I can't see the harm in just doing it and adding another day.

However, since this hasn't been done I assume the powers that be have some reservations about this suggestion. It'd be nice to know what those were exactly, but yeah. For the sake of discussion I'm going to try and play devil's advocate and come up with some possible reasons:

1. People could catch more than one batch of new Halloween eggs.

Hide contents

- For a 3 day Halloween drop yes, if you use Incubate. I don't see this as a downside personally, since why does it matter if some people get more CBs? Less competition in the Halloween biome next year, score. Maybe with 16 new eggs they'll trade some off to less fortunate people. If getting a bunch of new Halloweens is such a worry why wasn't a limit wasn't put in place to begin with.

- For a 2 day drop, even with Incubate you'd have to gamble with Earthquake and at that point who cares. They're risking eggs with no guarantee they'll be replaceable, so I don't have a problem with a handful of people getting another last minute batch. There have been issues in past years where Halloween drops ceased completely within the last hours, I sure know I wouldn't gamble those odds.

- Anyways, the quickest and most dedicated AP stalkers-- or those who just have a lot of time on their hands-- can get another batch of new Halloweens from the AP during the holiday wall regardless.

2. Halloween is about "greed".

Hide contents

- I think I remember "greed" being mentioned as a reason in a previous year's thread, but I don't remember the gist of it. With 2 days of drops you can still be just as greedy, only less frantic and stressed. 3 days drops allows even more greedy hoarding.

3. Halloween is about "competition".

Hide contents

- pinkgothic mentioned this too. I think if competition was the goal for Halloween drops, 2 days could still accomplish that. 3 days would be even better, then you have the incubate-lings vs. late-comers. It's still kind of a weird reason for short Halloween drops though. Does this mean the lag and short drop numbers are intentional? Is this all some twisted schadenfreude experiment? Halloween is like the best holiday for gifting, swapping lineages, and breeding for others due to the lack of limit on CBs. I almost see VDay and Xmas as more competitive due to fewer CBs.

- Maybe this is a big reason an extension hasn't been implemented. However, it's such an odd reason to both argue for or against because the reality of competition feels subjective. Is the current state of DC Halloween seen as a success regarding competition? How is that judged? Maybe someone else can shed reasoning behind this.

4. Halloween only lasts one day in real life.

Hide contents

- VDay does too. I guess you could argue Halloween lasts longer than Valentines if you want to stretch out certain celebrations, traditions, etc. I don't think a 2 or 3 day drop would kill anyone's immersion about Halloween.

5. Worried that people will dump loads of CBs into the AP and catch more from biomes, repeatedly, for the hypothetical 2 or 3 days.

Hide contents

- Again I personally don't see why it matters if people can fill up on more CBs from the AP after Halloween. They'll still be restricted by egg/hatchling limits, and if that's too generous then a cap could be placed on how many new CBs you can own the first year (16?). I think the phenomenon of the holiday walls-- and subsequent influencing issues-- is a multifaceted beast of its own.

- If you really, really don't want people filling up on multiple AP batches from an extended 2-3 day Halloween drop, you could make new Halloweens have a limit or un-abandonable. I realize this would upset a lot of people and I wouldn't want this either, but I can't be sure where the line is being drawn when it comes to "how many CBs is too much."

- For some reason I feel this may be the issue powers that be have with extending the drop. I feel like every other reason against it is either subjective (what Halloween is "about") or contradictory (don't want people filling up 2 batches, even though people already can thanks to trading/AP).

That's all the reasons against an extension I can think of. Maybe there's others. I can't imagine Halloween being a 1 day drop is simply a "just because" thing.

Support from me too.

I couldn't agree more with all those reasons, especially with the highlighted one. One extra reason I could add for extending the drop is "what if, in the end, I don't like the Halloween dragons of the current release?" If I don't like them I don't have to worry trying to collect more next year.

By the way, I think in past years the Halloween drops were 3 days(?), maybe I'm mistaken but I remember looking at some scrolls with a lot of CB Halloweens (like more than 50) and being grabbed after Oct 31st. I don't recall which scrolls I saw but like I said I may be mistaken.

3 minutes ago, Kegluneq said:

By the way, I think in past years the Halloween drops were 3 days(?), maybe I'm mistaken but I remember looking at some scrolls with a lot of CB Halloweens (like more than 50) and being grabbed after Oct 31st. I don't recall which scrolls I saw but like I said I may be mistaken.

The Cavern Lurkers were released after October 31 one year, though I don't recall why. Those may have been what you saw.

I definitely support this. Like others have said, even just making it 48 hours would help.

2 minutes ago, KrazyKarp said:

The Cavern Lurkers were released after October 31 one year, though I don't recall why. Those may have been what you saw.

I think it was due to a storm in the US which led to power outages and so on, so the release was postponed to Nov 2nd or something?

2 minutes ago, KrazyKarp said:

Yes, I saw Cavern Lurkers with those "egg stolen" dates, I don't remember seeing any other species though. It happened years ago.

Yep, Hurricane Sandy. It was so weird seeing the new Halloween breed with a stolen date after the 31st.

support, been trying to get the new dragon nearly all day now but every biome page keeps showing up as empty 😕 would stink to miss out on the new dragon for a whole year because my wifi isn't fast enough or something

Support, it should match the other holiday drop times. And basically everything Nine said.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't there a three-day halloween drop ONCE due to a hurricane affecting a large portion of the US around Halloween [want to say it was Cavern Lurkers]?

That aside, I'm pretty neutral on this. Now that we have the halloween biome, its quite easy to grab extra CBs of past breeds/missed breeds AND there's always people who catch and dump new eggs to the AP as they hunt for ones with their desired codes [I recall seeing a Kohraki wall last year at one point, all CBs]

So could it help people who can't get on during halloween? Yes. But at the same time, there are already methods in place to 'help' those who miss the drop

53 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

That aside, I'm pretty neutral on this. Now that we have the halloween biome, its quite easy to grab extra CBs of past breeds/missed breeds AND there's always people who catch and dump new eggs to the AP as they hunt for ones with their desired codes [I recall seeing a Kohraki wall last year at one point, all CBs]

So could it help people who can't get on during halloween? Yes. But at the same time, there are already methods in place to 'help' those who miss the drop

This was my opinion too, but being reminded that the Valentine's/Holiday drops are three days was what tipped me over to the "support" side- I feel like it makes no sense for the drop where eggs are limited to 2 CBs per person to drop for three days, while the one that's unlimited is only one day? I feel like 2 days is the best option, because it keeps some level of "limit" by not letting eggs hatch (outside of the use of earthquake, which is super risky), but that's just my personal opinion.

1 hour ago, ShorahNagi said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't there a three-day halloween drop ONCE due to a hurricane affecting a large portion of the US around Halloween [want to say it was Cavern Lurkers]?

Given that I only *saw* 2 Kohraki in the Halloween biome this entire week, I'd say 'easy to grab extra' is very subjective. The previous year's breed always goes super-fast in the Halloween biome, I'd say it's 'easier' to grab extras you need after two years (although Arcanas have been strangely hard for me this year)... Especially when it comes to lineage-makers, I'd say waiting 2 years to get your fill of CBs is a little much. 

Imo, it'd be different if the one-day drop was a *continuous* drop and we didn't have such horrible lag issues. But given that the lag *is* such an issue and the 5-minute drops can get snatched up within just a few refreshes, more time would be really nice.