Astreya

Searching for Content in Profiles

I think it might be a practical idea to give an additional option in the forum search to search the profile content, too.

Some weeks ago I had an egg with a specific code and remembered I saw in somebody's profile, that s/he was looking for exactly that code, but there was no way to search that as the search only gives the option content (topic, titles) or members. (And looking up all members manually would have been a bit excessively time-consuming. ^^) And today someone wanted to find me as my profile says that I look for Zombie kids, but said user told me s/he spent an hour to find me, too.

So I wonder if it was possible to add this search option?

Edited by Astreya

I feel neutral but leaning more towards no (or this not being possible).

The problem i see with this search is not everyone updates or uses their forum profile (freely admit mine is outdated) which could lead to users being spammed with messages* of people looking for eggs, offering trades, etc. On 'outdated' wants.

Plus, unless someone used the exact same phrasing as you search with (ex. Their profile says "want 'Candy' codes" - you search "looking for 'Candy' codes") - I can see users either getting a lot more results than they thought or potentially finding the wrong person [ex. Bob wrote "looking for-" Steve wrote "Want-" you contact Bob, but it was actually Steve you were trying to find.]

TL/DR: This might help some people who are big into trading/breeding make new connections...but beyond that I don't see a purpose for this.

*Yes, this can and does happen anyhow - but not without a little effort of checking people's profiles/signatures

If the forum software doesn't already this functionality, it doesn't seem to me to be a big enough thing to justify maintaining a custom feature on top of the forums (each one that gets added makes it harder to apply feature and security updates to the forums).

That said, you may be able to accomplish what you want with google searches. It appears that the  "site" filter you can add to searches will work for this: https://www.google.com/search?q=tj09+site%3Aforums.dragcave.net%2Fprofile%2F

@TJ09

Thank you very much for your reply!  Ah, good - then I shall use Google search for that! Why on Earth didn't I have this idea myself? -_-'