HeatherMarie

Halloween Valkemarian Tales not working, blank/black screen

Still stuck with a black screen on opera - and I had WebGL active - I deactivated and restarted - no change; activated and restarted - still the same. Turned off all addons - STILL the same.

Well, i'd posted previously about a puzzle issue in another threat but i managed to get past/fix that.

But now i've run into this issue.

I just did the second round of doors.

I'm about to fight the boss dragon the guide mentions.

But now by screen is black.

And it wont progress.

And i don't even have sound.

Edit: Refreshing the page did seem to help. For a bit.

Edited by DragonRider102

On my second run through, I am still completely stuck; This is the case in EVERY browser. Last time I was stuck switching browser fixed it. Not any more.

image.png.380432ea2c9b3d11d63d615757fd0d92.png

(My adblocker is disabled, but...)

ETA just tried in SAFE MODE on Chrome - same result. I get the loading bar and then a black screen.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

@TJ09 - any hope of a fix ? I know I HAVE done it once, but it's fun and I want to do it again.... NO browser will work for me...

9 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

On my second run through, I am still completely stuck; This is the case in EVERY browser. Last time I was stuck switching browser fixed it. Not any more.

image.png.380432ea2c9b3d11d63d615757fd0d92.png

(My adblocker is disabled, but...)

ETA just tried in SAFE MODE on Chrome - same result. I get the loading bar and then a black screen.

46 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

@TJ09 - any hope of a fix ? I know I HAVE done it once, but it's fun and I want to do it again.... NO browser will work for me...

Nothing in your screenshot represents an actual error with the event. Are there any other failed network requests?

I was able to change the name, then get to the loading screen. It loads to a black screen, the controls show up. A text box shows up [name:.] and when I go to click on anything I get the something went wrong screen. I’ve cleared browser data and cookies. I’m on an iPod on 12iOS, safari browser. 

I love the concept of this! It’s a beautiful game. Here are my issues that I am having.

On my iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13, the game is very tiny, too small to play. 

On my iPad, when using desktop mode, it does not show me my keyboard. Thus I cannot use the keyboard controls that are recommended (and also hidden? I saw them somewhere once and now I can’t find them but they included W and other keys. But I can’t see my keyboard on my iPad during the gameplay, so I can’t use the keyboard.  

If I switch to mobile mode on my iPad (this would be my preferred way of playing), the controller that has up down left right is mostly hidden. I have tried full screen mode and regular mode and neither help.  To the left I have the menu that shows cave, account, dragons, trading, etc. The controller is hidden behind that menu.

~~~~

ETA: There is a workaround if I play in portrait mode on my iPad. I was trying to play in landscape mode, which gives a much better experience (larger screen) but hides the controls. In portrait mode, at least the controls are not hidden on the iPad. But the screen is much smaller. With my eyesight, I need the larger screen. On my iPhone, the screen and the character are too small and the menu controls (Resume, etc) are inaccessible.

Edited by missy_

16 minutes ago, Swissalo said:

I was able to change the name, then get to the loading screen. It loads to a black screen, the controls show up. A text box shows up [name:.] and when I go to click on anything I get the something went wrong screen. I’ve cleared browser data and cookies. I’m on an iPod on 12iOS, safari browser. 

Instead of clicking try hitting enter on that screen.

4 hours ago, missy_ said:

I love the concept of this! It’s a beautiful game. Here are my issues that I am having.

On my iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13, the game is very tiny, too small to play. 

On my iPad, when using desktop mode, it does not show me my keyboard. Thus I cannot use the keyboard controls that are recommended (and also hidden? I saw them somewhere once and now I can’t find them but they included W and other keys. But I can’t see my keyboard on my iPad during the gameplay, so I can’t use the keyboard.  

If I switch to mobile mode on my iPad (this would be my preferred way of playing), the controller that has up down left right is mostly hidden. I have tried full screen mode and regular mode and neither help.  To the left I have the menu that shows cave, account, dragons, trading, etc. The controller is hidden behind that menu.

~~~~

ETA: There is a workaround if I play in portrait mode on my iPad. I was trying to play in landscape mode, which gives a much better experience (larger screen) but hides the controls. In portrait mode, at least the controls are not hidden on the iPad. But the screen is much smaller. With my eyesight, I need the larger screen. On my iPhone, the screen and the character are too small and the menu controls (Resume, etc) are inaccessible.

I strongly recommend turning on "fullscreen" on mobile" to make sure none of the rest of the page gets in the way.

13 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Nothing in your screenshot represents an actual error with the event. Are there any other failed network requests?

Not that I can see. It just does the loading bar and then - nothing. And it DID work the first time I played. It is now showing something about autofocus...

AND - I just went and tried on my partner's laptop - which hasn't visited the cave for well over a year - and get the exact same issue. So it seems to be something actually in my account, out there, rather than machine related. VERY weird. I WOULD like to play again - but I also want to keep my badge....

I wanted to find that gold egg !

Since I keep ending up frozen in the sewers no matter what browser I use on my desktop computer, I went to try the game out on my iPhone 6s.

The game loads fine in the latest mobile versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera Touch.

But as soon as my finger touches one of the controls or even the menu icon, the screen goes completely black and says "Something went wrong".

Adblockers are disabled.

What could be the cause of this?

Also, I have noticed that it is possible to load the desktop version on mobile, but then you are faced with the problem of how you should move the character around. After all, you can't hook a regular keyboard up to an iPhone. Could there be a way around that?

BTW: is it (or will it be) possible to start the game from scratch? Part of me wonders if that could somehow fix the freezing problem in the sewers. But alas, "Reset" in the menu will only reset the sewer level and not the game as a whole.

EDITED TO ADD: I am not the only one who is experiencing problems in the sewers. Others in the event thread mentioned having encountered virtually the same thing:

- Data_Girl_3: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/187735-2020-10-25-halloween-event-begins/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-9988316

- Daypaw: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/187735-2020-10-25-halloween-event-begins/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-9988348

- Jazeki: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/187735-2020-10-25-halloween-event-begins/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-9988326
- TaiomiFox: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/187735-2020-10-25-halloween-event-begins/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-9988324

- Whirlaway: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/187735-2020-10-25-halloween-event-begins/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-9988329

As such, I guess it looks like there must be a glitch with the sewers itself and not so much with the browser a person is using?

Edited by Duysterwald

2 hours ago, Duysterwald said:

BTW: is it (or will it be) possible to start the game from scratch? Part of me wonders if that could somehow fix the freezing problem in the sewers. But alas, "Reset" in the menu will only reset the sewer level and not the game as a whole.

I would REALLY like this as an option.... It's been so long I can't even remember where I was when the screen went black on me. (OH - after the doors, it seems...)

And now I keep getting:

Save data has been modified from another window. Reload the page to continue.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

19 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Not that I can see. It just does the loading bar and then - nothing. And it DID work the first time I played. It is now showing something about autofocus...

AND - I just went and tried on my partner's laptop - which hasn't visited the cave for well over a year - and get the exact same issue. So it seems to be something actually in my account, out there, rather than machine related. VERY weird. I WOULD like to play again - but I also want to keep my badge....

I wanted to find that gold egg !

I've found an issue that can cause the game's save data to be corrupted after resetting the game to play through again. I've corrected the issue, and the event will now detect invalid data and reset you back to the intro of the game. Try playing now and let me know if that doesn't seem to be the case.

11 hours ago, Duysterwald said:

Since I keep ending up frozen in the sewers no matter what browser I use on my desktop computer, I went to try the game out on my iPhone 6s.

The game loads fine in the latest mobile versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera Touch.

But as soon as my finger touches one of the controls or even the menu icon, the screen goes completely black and says "Something went wrong".

Adblockers are disabled.

What could be the cause of this?

Also, I have noticed that it is possible to load the desktop version on mobile, but then you are faced with the problem of how you should move the character around. After all, you can't hook a regular keyboard up to an iPhone. Could there be a way around that?

EDITED TO ADD: I am not the only one who is experiencing problems in the sewers. Others in the event thread mentioned having encountered virtually the same thing:

- Data_Girl_3: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/187735-2020-10-25-halloween-event-begins/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-9988316

- Daypaw: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/187735-2020-10-25-halloween-event-begins/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-9988348

- Jazeki: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/187735-2020-10-25-halloween-event-begins/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-9988326
- TaiomiFox: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/187735-2020-10-25-halloween-event-begins/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-9988324

- Whirlaway: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/187735-2020-10-25-halloween-event-begins/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-9988329

As such, I guess it looks like there must be a glitch with the sewers itself and not so much with the browser a person is using?

So the thing is: I just checked the scrolls of the authors of those posts (at least, everyone who had it visible) and they all have the badge and appear to have later been able to complete the event successfully. The issue they were experiencing should be resolved already.

I also loaded up your save data and had no problem continuing through the rest of the sewer. So if you're still having problems with the sewer, I need more information about what is going wrong in your specific case, which is why I asked for screenshots of the browser console.

Black screen, no loading bar or anything else in Firefox, iOS Safari, Edge, and Internet Explorer.

Firefox web console's output:

Uncaught TypeError: this.storage.data.settings is undefined

Uncaught TypeError: this.cameras.main is undefined

Uncaught (in promise) Error: Cannot add a Scene with duplicate key: error
    createSceneFromFunction https://s.dcave.net/cache/js/7/73gq3g.js:2959

Hope it's of some use.

49 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

I've found an issue that can cause the game's save data to be corrupted after resetting the game to play through again. I've corrected the issue, and the event will now detect invalid data and reset you back to the intro of the game. Try playing now and let me know if that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thus far yes ! Thank you ! :wub:

1 hour ago, TJ09 said:

So the thing is: I just checked the scrolls of the authors of those posts (at least, everyone who had it visible) and they all have the badge and appear to have later been able to complete the event successfully. The issue they were experiencing should be resolved already.

I also loaded up your save data and had no problem continuing through the rest of the sewer. So if you're still having problems with the sewer, I need more information about what is going wrong in your specific case, which is why I asked for screenshots of the browser console.

I 'm still stuck trying to get through the 4 doors. Avery still doesn't offer me the option to "work together", the wiki cheat is worthless, and I have no badge. I've tried three different browsers and it's all the same-- stuck. I'm so done. 

1 hour ago, Princess Artemis said:

Black screen, no loading bar or anything else in Firefox, iOS Safari, Edge, and Internet Explorer.

<Snip>

Hope it's of some use.

Yep, that pointed right to an issue that will be fixed very soon.

5 minutes ago, wbmorgan said:

I 'm still stuck trying to get through the 4 doors. Avery still doesn't offer me the option to "work together", the wiki cheat is worthless, and I have no badge. I've tried three different browsers and it's all the same-- stuck. I'm so done. 

The ability to skip the puzzle only applies to the first version of the temple, not the reprise.

I don't know what "wiki cheat" you're referring to but to the best of my knowledge the puzzle guides on there have successfully helped a number of people through, so I'd be surprised to find that they're inaccurate.

19 minutes ago, wbmorgan said:

There's one way I used every time (I couldn't even GET the "wiki cheat"  !)

Try a door. If it works, note its number. If not - try another. Rinse and repeat. When you have the first one sorted, repeat. AS you get them right you will have a series building up that you can use every time you have to start over...

AS in 1. Nope. 2 YES. 2 Nope (so do not use in position 2 next time !)

Start over: 1, 3, 4 (nope)

Start over: 1,3,2.... ad so on.

And remember you will need a total of FIVE and you may have to use the same one more than once and leave out others (someone got 4,4,4,4,4 !)

25 minutes ago, wbmorgan said:

2 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

(I couldn't even GET the "wiki cheat"  !)

There is no wiki cheat, the wiki just displays the logical solution we could figure out instead of brute-forcing. More specifically, 

Spoiler

there are 4 different symbols and each corresponds to a number from 1-4. In the first room there is a series of those symbols, and that order shows which doors you have to go through. 

However some people mentioned that when they were using the correct solution for some puzzles (mostly the cauldron one but still) the game still didn't respond to it, and it worked after a refresh. I don't know if this is part of what TJ has already fixed, but it's worth a try to refresh and do it again if you're sure you're using the correct solution.

6 hours ago, MissK. said:

There is no wiki cheat, the wiki just displays the logical solution we could figure out instead of brute-forcing. More specifically, 

Oh I saw it. I just couldn't gel along with it  so I did it my way.

13 hours ago, TJ09 said:

All right, so the issue is solely on my end then! :wacko: Thank you, TJ, for taking the time to look at everything. ^_^

On a desktop computer, the game works best in Chrome for me. Its browser console mentions a few errors, which can be viewed in the screenshot attached to this post.

If nothing can be done about it, then that is absolutely fine. :) At this point, now that we are almost at the end of the Halloween event, a complete reset of the game would be enough for me. At least then I would no longer be stuck in the sewers and could explore the game somewhat more than I have been able to so far, e.g. I could go and see that statue in the desert.

Thank you in advance! (y)

errorsdc.png

16 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

There's one way I used every time (I couldn't even GET the "wiki cheat"  !)

Try a door. If it works, note its number. If not - try another. Rinse and repeat. When you have the first one sorted, repeat. AS you get them right you will have a series building up that you can use every time you have to start over...

AS in 1. Nope. 2 YES. 2 Nope (so do not use in position 2 next time !)

Start over: 1, 3, 4 (nope)

Start over: 1,3,2.... ad so on.

And remember you will need a total of FIVE and you may have to use the same one more than once and leave out others (someone got 4,4,4,4,4 !)

I don't know what you mean by "if it works". NONE of them work. I keep getting booted out of every single one. I do NOT get the option from Avery to "work together", just  "one more time with feeling". At this point my "feeling" is pissed off and just done. 

5 hours ago, wbmorgan said:

I don't know what you mean by "if it works". NONE of them work. I keep getting booted out of every single one. I do NOT get the option from Avery to "work together", just  "one more time with feeling". At this point my "feeling" is pissed off and just done. 

If you hear laughter you get booted. One  door in each room will not laugh. There are 6 doors, 5 identical rooms.  If this is the second set, avery doesn't give you the option.