camelia2

Show date next to time

Exactly that: add date next to the time.

With all the diffrent timezones Earth has I sometimes get confused about the date on sites and DC is no exception.

~~I'd view it as this, but it could also be an all numeric 20.03.~~ I think only day and month are relevant.

Edit: I forgot Americans do it diffrent than the rest of the world. Definitely write month with words! 

Edit 2: PLEASE, NO lore/made up months! As we discussed it is a clarity function. Lore is unecessary and defeats the purpose. (And as Fuzz pointed out: a dragon last bred date reads real months so they're the same)

Screenshot_20201020-234323.png

Edited by camelia2

Support. I'm only 3 hours off from DC-time but even I'd find this helpful at times. (Although I'd think it should be month first, not day, I *think* most of the US puts month first and DC is based in the US so...)

Text please (October 20)  - otherwise - well, many of us in Europe are definitely day first - and maybe other countries too. Not to mention Australia, where it REALLY is an issue.

Since I am in the same time zone as the cave I have no need for this, but I support it for others who are not.

And I agree that the month needs to be in text, not numbers, as that would cause more confusion for those who order things differently!

Support! DC-date is different for half of the day where I am :v I'm 12 hours ahead so night is day and it's often "tomorrow" here.

Edited by thalassophobic
Additional information

Massive support for this! I'm pretty much a full day ahead of DC time, so despite being somewhat used to things being 1 day later, I still get confused pretty often. This would be really helpful, especially for events and when I need to breed things on specific dates.

Personally, I'd prefer having it displayed in words to avoid confusion, but either Month/Day or Day/Month in words would work well. :) 

Edited by Taginix

If it were month/day in numbers I would "hide" it to avoid MY confusion...

Yeah. Unless the month is written it will cause confusion no matter what. The US does month/day, which is where the cave server is. But, everyone else (I think) does day/month. If the month is written it shouldn't matter. 

Or just a calendar pictogram with a number in it? A 21 because today is the twenty-first. Then the month wouldn't really be needed. 

I fully support this. I agree that the month ought to be in text or not showing at all, to avoid the "day first or month first?" confusion.

This would be so great! I'm only six to seven hours ahead of DC time so it's not that big an issue for me but seeing the date with one look would really reduce the cognitive stress when browsing through a lot of trades on the hub. Besides, sometimes I can't even remember what date it is in my country, without checking the calendar, so... :D

I agree with everyone else that it has to be letters for the month if it's shown, otherwise the date would cause extra confusion instead of helping. Personally, I would prefer the date with month name visible, like in the first post, just because I think it looks very nice.

I wonder if we should use the months as they are on Earth? 

While time is essentially the same on Valkemare and Earth, length of days and lunar cycles are different. It probably would make sense to have a different calendar entirely (especially considering where the names for our months came from.)

I'm not disagreeing with adding the month, but I'm not sure keeping the months the same would make sense, lore-wise. 

And we do have a time page to explain the equivalence between month names if needed.

*Sees the debate about the time keeping in the us vs everyone else* 

We, Americans, to be special (ie stubborn), and refuse to change with the rest of the world. 

Edited by Shokomon
Fixed likewise to lore-wise because I didn't realize I made that typo

Everyone is stubborn, just about different things.

I think the day would be enough. Just my 2 shards :D

I support this. I often have to clarify cave time when I'm organizing breeding events.  Though if we must include the month, please have the word instead of numbers. 

52 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

While time is essentially the same on Valkemare and Earth, length of days and lunar cycles are different. It probably would make sense to have a different calendar entirely (especially considering where the names for our months came from.)

I'm not disagreeing with adding the month, but I'm not sure keeping the months the same would make sense likewise. 

And we do have a time page to explain the equivalence between month names if needed.

We, Americans, to be special (ie stubborn), and refuse to change with the rest of the world. 

Everyone developed their own methods before communication all over the world became so common. I don't think this one is down to anyone's stubbornness, just that we could use something that is the same for all of us.

PLEASE stick to Earth dates....

34 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Everyone is stubborn, just about different things.

I think the day would be enough. Just my 2 shards :D

I don't think only having the day would cut it, though. Unless there's a month attached to the day, or it's otherwise formatted in a way that we associate with dates, then it could just look like some number at first glance. Just saying "23 11:00 PM" is vaaaague

1 hour ago, Shokomon said:

I'm not disagreeing with adding the month, but I'm not sure keeping the months the same would make sense likewise. 

In terms of lore this is true, but if we look at it that way there's no reason the dates would be the same either. For all we know the year could be split entirely differently on Valkemare, so who's to say the number of months and days in the month would correspond to real life ones?

At the end of the day this feature is meant to be functional, not for lore purposes. If an entire Valkemare calendar has to be created we would still need an in-site page with the corresponding Earth months/days, so why not skip the middle step and simply display the Earth date? 

Edited by MissK.

I'm up for this think it would be a great idea, personally i prefer name of month and date, just because I'm from UK and the American way confuses me (not that there is anything wrong with it there isn't just not used to it) 

I also get the point of would the months be named different? Like what shokomon says, it isn't earth to be fare. I know it would take getting used to, and people would have to learn the names but I'd love that idea :)instead of October it would be .... (insert cool name here) it could even be the names in the dragon language thats used on the site, it would make it very fun, to make it easier they could start with the same letter? Or have a translation page Just?Just a suggestion haha but would be cool and certainly add to the lore

But yes agree that at least adding the date would be helpful :)

Edited by Bloommist

25 minutes ago, MissK. said:

In terms of lore this is true, but if we look at it that way there's no reason the dates would be the same either. For all we know the year could be split entirely differently on Valkemare, so who's to say the number of months and days in the month would correspond to real life ones?

At the end of the day this feature is meant to be functional, not for lore purposes. If an entire Valkemare calendar has to be created we would still need an in-site page with the corresponding Earth months/days, so why not skip the middle step and simply display the Earth date? 

THIS, so much.

No to fantasy dates. the point is help people remember the real world time not make them have to go find yet another resource.

Yeah, I feel like a 'Valkemare calendar' is a different suggestion entirely. This suggestion is just a small functionality improvement for users, nothing to do with expanding on lore.

Lore is already drastically separated from in-game timekeeping: I rather doubt eggs hatch in 48 hours and full-grown adults appear in 5 days. Plus, we already have dragons based off Earth words and Earth locations (baikala, for example). Making up new months when they're direct translations seems... Unnecessary.

(Sure, we have different moon names but that's because DC runs entirely on a totally different moon system, not one that matches 1:1 to Earth like the seasons do.)

Also NO to lore dates. Is a functional ...function. It's one of the times you break from lore (like how cheese doesn't turn into fondué when incubated)

@Shokomon

Also just to disagree, we clearly have the same year lenght (see anual events) and same astrological phoenomens(doesn't make sense but) see Equinox & Solstice dragons and 4 seasons with 3m duration (seasonal dragons) so I'd asume we have 12m here too...MAYBE with diffrent names...but please NO (seasons have same names btw)

Edited by camelia2

Still up for this, even if its just functional without the lore baced elements to the proposed idea,  just showing the actual time and date will still be very useful.

Edited by Bloommist