Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Riverwillows

Current social issues

Recommended Posts

Here's one:  Cornrows as 'cultural appropriation"?? No.

 

Cornrows hair braiding cannot be claimed by any one culture. It's been around for about 3500 years, since the stone age, featured in rock carvings. Vestal Virgins in Rome wore their hair with them. Some Native American Tribes used them. They were the fashion off and on in Medieval European society. Polynesia. Japan. Parts of South America. Just about every culture in the world at some point, used cornrow techniques in their traditional styles. So, if you like cornrow style hair braiding, do it. Not "cultural appropriation".

Share this post


Link to post

Preemptive reminder that if you reply to this topic, you are encouraged to do so with civility.

 

Yep. I live in a politically-charged area, and I hate politics. I've had enough of the vitriol, and it's reached the point where the volatility from both sides is affecting my mental health.

 

To piggyback on cornrows: the Ancient Egyptian race controversy. Unbelievable how many people try to claim them as having been solely one ethnicity or another, and can't accept the fact that in that place and time there was no concept of race. Upper and Lower Egypt combined were populated by an incredibly diverse array of phenotypes - not that anyone's skin color mattered back then. I so much wanted to read a book about ancient Egypt as the rainbow it really was that I began to write one. Hope to publish it someday when things cool down.

Share this post


Link to post

@Sesshomaru

I have a good friend from Egypt and he (who is medium dark skin with dark hair) told me that he has a cousin who is fair with blue eyes despite the parents being somewhat darker, too. He told me that it is not uncommon to have fair people in his family as they are - as you already mentioned - have a huge potpourri of differently coloured ancestors in their history.

 

Many people don't realise that Egypt was a Roman protectorate (?) in the past, and Cleopatra came from a Greek family (even her name is Greek after all).

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sesshomaru said:

Preemptive reminder that if you reply to this topic, you are encouraged to do so with civility.

 

Yep. I live in a politically-charged area, and I hate politics. I've had enough of the vitriol, and it's reached the point where the volatility from both sides is affecting my mental health.

 

To piggyback on cornrows: the Ancient Egyptian race controversy. Unbelievable how many people try to claim them as having been solely one ethnicity or another, and can't accept the fact that in that place and time there was no concept of race. Upper and Lower Egypt combined were populated by an incredibly diverse array of phenotypes - not that anyone's skin color mattered back then. I so much wanted to read a book about ancient Egypt as the rainbow it really was that I began to write one. Hope to publish it someday when things cool down.

 

 

Actually that's not quite true. Jews were kept as slaves for a long long time in Egypt. So they were clearly aware of race/religion. But yes Egypt was a place with a lot biodiversity. As a Jew I should say that we consider ourselves not just a religion but a race/people. Hence, the saying if your born a Jew you die a Jew. Essentially it means that even if you don't practice the religious side of it you are still a Jew, because we are also a people. Jews are known for being lighter skinned and having blue eyes as well.

Edited by AngelsSin

Share this post


Link to post

Hmm. How about body positivity?

 

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely against body shaming, and I think that everyone should be allowed to feel good about their body. But in way too many cases, "body positivity" has lead to the phenomenon that extremely unhealthy body types get applauded. I mean, is this really a good thing? Personally, I don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, olympe said:

Hmm. How about body positivity?

 

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely against body shaming, and I think that everyone should be allowed to feel good about their body. But in way too many cases, "body positivity" has lead to the phenomenon that extremely unhealthy body types get applauded. I mean, is this really a good thing? Personally, I don't think so.

 

I agree while i feel too much body shaming goes on. Which i am guilty of at least in my head, i would never say some of the things that pop into my head out loud. I wouldn't want to make any one feel bad about themselves. I think especially women are body shamed too much by others and ourselves. But the whole big and beautiful movement is i think detrimental to a persons overall health and well being. I mean i am glad they are comfortable enough in themselves and there bodies to wear skimpy and revealing clothes while being obese, and given me putting on 20 pounds and i am self-conscious about it and what i wear, and i've been skinny my whole life. But i don't think being an unhealthy weight should pretty much be encouraged.

Share this post


Link to post

I found this....very interesting and may be a reasoning to this entire year.......what you all think?

 

YWaDCIu.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Well, super full or new moons always happen back to back. 

Moon_distance_with_full_&_new.png

All kinds of eclipses happen regularly, too - about 0.8 to 1.5 lunar eclipses every year, and roughly one third of them are penumbral eclipses (average over several centuries). Solar eclipses happen two to five times each year. In this regard, 2020 is nothing special, really.

Edited by olympe
added something for clarification

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Riverwillows said:

I found this....very interesting and may be a reasoning to this entire year.......what you all think?

 

 

The answer to "are you wondering why life feels so explosive lately" is "no", the astronomical information is interesting, and the life advice is okay. However, I am wondering why someone would write these three things right after each other as if there was a connection between them.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.