lexi_

notification for description approval

ive searched around a little bit so sorry if this was already talked about somewhere else, but i couldnt find it. i thought it was worth at least discussing though.

i think there should be a notification for a description being approved. now, this is why i wanted to discuss it, because i know that some people might say no to this because some people submit a lot of descriptions at once, and some don't use the describe action at all. i'm someone who's in the middle, so i can see why someone might want it or not want it.

for the people who submit a lot, their notifications might be cluttered by all the messages, and that would be no good. and for the people who dont use it at all, this wouldnt have any relevance to them anyway. but descriptions, as they are now, take a while to get approved, and i find myself having to constantly check to see if it's been approved. some have been sitting for months, but some of them get approved within weeks. but thats besides my point here. i never know if my description has been approved until i go to the dragons page itself to see, and doing this makes me want to check in on all my other ones to see how their status is doing, clicking through all of my dragons that have pending descriptions only to go, "oh, this has been approved? for how long?"

it might not be as big of a deal though, especially not to clog up notifications like that though. maybe an email notification, or a toggleable option in the settings to get notifications for it? i'd love to hear what other people think about this.

I check my descriptions often to see if they've been approved, and honesrly approval happens so rarely that I feel like the likelihood of it flooding notifications are a bit uncommon since I tend to have mine approved one at a time for some reason.

However- I am open to this idea and I wanted to put forth two potential solutions to a cluttered notifications issue-

1. A toggle for "notification when described dragons have their descriptions approved" (perhaps under the "show pending descriptions toggle)?

OR

2. If more than 1 description approval happens at similar times, the notification is something like "[number] of your dragons had their descriptions approved. Click here to review them."

Anyways, support either way for me, but I can see why some players who submit TONS of descriptions would prefer not to have it.

I don't really see the point of a toggle if it's just for 100% mod approval, since no other functions have it despite trade offering (or spamming), etc being a *lot* more common. Even if someone does submit a lot of descriptions they all need to be read and approved, which inherently takes time since there's at most a couple mods taking care of them.

+1 for a descrip notification in general.

Edited by Shadowdrake

49 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

I don't really see the point of a toggle if it's just for 100% mod approval, since no other functions have it despite trade offering (or spamming), etc being a *lot* more common. Even if someone does submit a lot of descriptions they all need to be read and approved, which inherently takes time since there's at most a couple mods taking care of them.

+1 for a descrip notification in general.

I totally agree with, but I just wanted to put some suggestions in case others disagreed or didn't want them XD 

I just put anything I describe in a group called pending, when I do the thing, and move them to another group called "described" when they make it... But I wouldn't mind this. I do find loads and loads of notifications irritating though... And once you've looked - you won't necessarily remember which were approved later, so in the end will still have to check anyway.

I would definitely like this addition to the game. I would even describe more if I get a notification that warns me my work has been reviewed XD

I would like description alerts within reason. As someone who describes a lot of dragons, my understanding is that the moderators will often go a while doing little or no reviewing, then get together to have description parties and go through a huge swathe of the queue. I have a "pending" group which is back up to over a hundred dragons (after a peak of over two hundred right before the most recent moderator reviewing party dropped it down into the twenties). Getting that many separate alerts in one day would vaporise any other alert that might pop up concurrently.

d.png

The number of pending descriptions rises steadily, with a few dramatic cliffs.

I definitely would appreciate if, as Paintra suggested, alerts exist and are "collapsed" into a single notification for "X descriptions have been approved/rejected over the past Y hours". Whatever time frame is picked should be discussed with/determined by the description moderators. 

i was thinking of you when i wrote about people who submit a lot at a time, @Kakaru_of_DOOM. i definitely don't want you to have > 100 notifications in regards to descriptions in your inbox at once, so i think collapsing them as a couple of you have suggested would be a good idea, if it were able to be implemented. 

if that were to happen, i do like this idea

17 hours ago, Paintra said:

"[number] of your dragons had their descriptions approved. Click here to review them."

mostly the "click here to review them" taking you to a different page within the notifications listing them if you choose to click on it, if that makes sense? it'd keep it much cleaner rather than taking up a ton of notification space. in that case, it'd just be one notification, and since the mods already approve in chunks for the most part, then it makes sense to do it this way.

also, side note, i always appreciate your comments in user approvals, kakaru. made me start writing little comments of my own, when i get around to reading what other people submit :) 

I'd love a option for this. I want to know when my descriptions are approved!

Of course, there should be a toggle option for people that don't want notifications, like what Paintra said.

Full support. I had a dragon whose description must have been approved at least a year ago and I only noticed now when I went to add another dragon to my pending descriptions group

I would certainly love it. I have a description pending from last Summer that I'm checking every now and then to see if it FINALLY went through but ... nope.

(I submitted it on 4th of August 2020 ... for Dirtytabs's bingo XD)