Naruhina_94

New Encyclopedia page: Unique Breeds

8 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Personally, I'd leave spriter alts out altogether. People can't get them, and they don't breed true. There is no need for a page on them.

I rather agree.

26 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Personally, I'd leave spriter alts out altogether. People can't get them, and they don't breed true. There is no need for a page on them.

17 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I rather agree.

I'm inclined to agree too- while I would like to have them all in one space, I feel like it would be like opening Pandora's box. I hate mentioning other pet games in my explanations, but Tales of Ostlea lists its spriter alts for its creatures in the encyclopedia and it was incredibly confusing to me as a new player XD I can imagine something similar for this!

21 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Personally, I wouldn't. Their owners' names don't have to be stated or anything, but finding them in the encyclopedia might help un-confuse new players who found them in a lineage. How else do you explain Penk or Jewel? How that one very colorful Yulebuck, a pink Pumpkin, tan Snow Angels or a mostly black Radiant Angel - to name but a few. All the information I think should be in the encyclopedia are the adult sprites (since they're already on site), the fact that they are limited to 1 scroll (or two, in case of Snow Angels) and that everybody else is restricted to finding them in lineages.

I don't think the spriters' alts need to all be listed on a page somewhere.

I do think that the encyclopedia should address spriters' alt breeding, something like: "Many limited-availability breeds of dragons (such as holiday dragons) have unusually-colored variants that are owned by the people who helped draw the sprites for that breed of dragon.  When these unusually-colored variants produce offspring, the offspring will be normally colored."

This is enough that, if users see a spriter's alt, they will probably be able to figure out what it is, but really, spriters' alts are only aesthetic variations, and they all breed the same way (pretend to be exactly like their normal kind, but have a different sprite for themselves), so they don't need separate sections for all of the alts.  They just need a paragraph somewhere.

do think it would be a good idea to put a note on each spriter's alt's view page.  Because really, if someone wants to know more about an unusually-colored dragon, isn't clicking on it the first thing they're going to do?  Something to the effect of "This dragon color variant is only owned by one particular user, as thanks for helping produce dragon sprites for DC."  would explicitly addresses the first question anyone will think of ("this is cool, can I have one?") by sharing information that is extremely obvious to people who read the forums or wiki, without infringing on anyone's privacy.

---

At risk of hypocrisy, I don't think this thread needs this much discussion of spriters' alts.

In general, I would love to see the encyclopedia have more information on the game mechanics.

On 10/16/2020 at 12:10 AM, DragonLady86 said:

I agree with this in general, if a player cant have that sprite on their own scroll, I don't think it should be in the encyclopedia. (Sorry sweetling alts, if I cant have you, no one can) Though giving credit to the spriters on the relevant page would be pretty cool.

But in full support of having more clues to dragons that have additional sprites and mechanics. I think summon is a hidden mechanic completely on the trio until you have all three so something alluding to "Legendary birds dragons of fire, and and lightning" and lines of text that allude to hybrids and other bsa mechanics (Like for xols) would be cool for new players to explore and reduce (Remove, even) the need for a separate wiki.