Keileon

Filtering: Ability to filter OUT tags

As per Pilauli's post here!

Suggesting/requesting the ability to use the filtering system to find everything NOT in the chosen tags. How this would likely best work is using a different symbol in place of the #, so instead of (as in the example in the linked post) using #cb #pinkdragon to find all CB Pink dragons, one could use, say, !cb #pinkdragon to find all non-CB Pink dragons or #cb !spinelwyvern !golddragon to find all CB dragons that are not Spinel Wyverns or Gold dragons.

I use ! as the main example/suggestion here because I know an exclamation point translates into "not" in many coding languages, but theoretically any could work. It's common enough that I even briefly checked to make sure it wasn't already a thing in filtering.

Also possibly make it so that you simply add the ! to the # instead of replacing it:

35 minutes ago, Pilauli said:

One thing I would like to see is that, instead of replacing the #, the ! should go next to it.  For example, !#pinkdragon.  This is because if I typed !dorkface, I would want it to return the dragons who didn't have "Dorkface" in their names, rather than the dragons which didn't have #dorkface as a tag.  The reasons are probably obvious.

Disclaimer: this is not a thread about adding new filters, just the ability to use existing filters to filter tags OUT. It's a minor tweak to the filter system. Please don't use this thread to suggest new filters or overhauls to the filter system or whatever. Thread hijacking sucks, yo.

Edited by Keileon
I keep messing up lol

Thank you for posting this, Keileon!

One thing I would like to see is that, instead of replacing the #, the ! should go next to it.  For example, !#pinkdragon.  This is because if I typed !dorkface, I would want it to return the dragons who didn't have "Dorkface" in their names, rather than the dragons which didn't have #dorkface as a tag.  The reasons are probably obvious.

That could work too. I'm not certain what the coding for that would look like, is all; I understand the logic enough to hazard a guess at how one would code the ! replacing the #, but since I'm not actually a coder I'm unsure about how it would look adding it.

I'm no great coder either, but I'm pretty sure the standard usage of ! as "not" means "just do the opposite of whatever I say next".  So it probably isn't much (if any) harder to implement.  And I would like the extra versatility, while I'm begging for increased versatility anyway.  :D

Edited by Pilauli

Massive support, this would make grouping things so much easier.

I only recently learned how to filter dragons - so anything that can help me further sort them would be much appreciated. Full support

Yes, please!

I would use it e.g. to find all #bred individuals of a breed that are not #2g (so !2g or !#2g) so I might find my checkers easier.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Support! 

And I like is a mechanic I know! Pokemon Go also uses it with ! for not

And please, please, more filters! Like #hatchling/adult or #unbredable or #hybrid

Edited by camelia2

48 minutes ago, camelia2 said:

And please, please, more filters! Like #hatchling/adult or #unbredable or #hybrid

On 10/3/2020 at 7:40 PM, Keileon said:

Disclaimer: this is not a thread about adding new filters, just the ability to use existing filters to filter tags OUT. It's a minor tweak to the filter system. Please don't use this thread to suggest new filters or overhauls to the filter system or whatever. Thread hijacking sucks, yo.

I put that there for a reason :)