Dragon Mage

ANSWERED:Adjust sickness rates?

It happens over and over.

I breed new eggs.

I put them in ONE (1) hatchery.

A few hours later, sickness strikes.

I can only imagine the frustration this would cause new players/collectors. Surely this is a barrier to new membership, besides being an onerous ritual for veterans like myself? Now, I'm not complaining about the generosity of hatchery viewers or the efficacy of the hatcheries themselves; far from it!! But here's my theory: Once, many years ago, Dragcave was a smaller site, with a smaller following. Now, it's a much bigger site, with a much bigger following. More hatcheries, mire members, more artists.

More views.

It's no longer a view bomb problem. I understand if some unusual or rare eggs get clicked a LOT, but a bunch of very commons? Pinks? Blacks? Come now, I can't be the only one seeing my dragons get endangered by egg sickness almost _every single time_ am I? Perhaps, it's appropriate to increase the tolerance levels of time/views that would induce egg sickness? It surely shouldn't be THIS common to get sickness for ALL my eggs nearly EVERY time, just hours after breeding?

Good people of the Dragcave, what say you?

If you are putting them in a hatchery right after you breed them, that's why. It's really very simple to avoid sickness if you just don't add brand-new things to hatcheries. An egg 1 day old (ie 6 days on timer) is much less vulnerable then a brand-new egg, for instance. I very very rarely get sick eggs and that's because I wait until under 6 days to add them anywhere, and if I have particularly valuable eggs I fog them for the first 24 hours in case anyone tries to 'help'. 

That said, this sounds like it belongs in Suggestions.

Firstly, I totally apologize that I put this in the wrong section! I thought I put it in the right place but -- you are right. This is to be in suggestions. I are the idiot. If a mod would be so gorgeously kind to move this to the appropriate place, I'd be most grateful! 

Secondly,  I've been a member since 2008 and this is the first I knew of the 6 day thing being and easy side-step to sickness! See, I clearly can't fully gauge how sickness is conceived. It's sorta... wishy-washy. Every time I think I got it figured, it pulls a hard left on me.

Thirdly, maybe the easy vulnerability of the newly laid eggs is something to consider? I certainly can see a lot of newbies being baffled by it and Dragcave should be fun, not something an 'inner' should be able to fully enjoy just for knowing the ticks of the trade. (Not saying you, HeatherMarie, fall into such a category, nor does anyone here; merely, it's a grouping as perceived by a newcomer, who may feel the odds are against them for nor knowing a common knowledge -- but unwritten -- mechanic.)

Edited by Dragon Mage

It's not really an "insider" thing? From the Help page regarding sickness:

Eggs and hatchlings can become sick when they receive too many views, unique views, and clicks in a short period of time. Although sickness can occur at any time, eggs are most vulnerable when first laid. If an egg or hatchling continues to receive too many views, unique views, and clicks while sick, it may die.

@Stromboli @HeatherMarie

I could continue to make points in support of my concerns, but I know when to acknowledge I am not in favor and have no right to voice my side, misguided and simple-minded as it is. I even made an attempt to distinguish the difference between an ACTUAL 'insider thing' and only a perceived one, but to no avail. Even appealing to ease of entry to new members is clearly no sufficient incentive for any serious consideration to my words. I acknowledge this oblique standard and I bow before it.

Therefore, I rescind all earlier statements and I formally exit this discussion. I thank you all for your time, and I do sincerely appreciate your candor! It has, admittedly, been some time since I had cause to look over the basic help guidelines, since I've been a member so long. It's evident to me now that I am simply behind the common knowledge and resources so readily available to those that have cause to go looking, such as new members. XD Please forgive my stupidity and foolish words! They have no merit and carry no weight. As such, I request any passing moderator summarily shove this thread into the trash and let it be forgotten, as is right and proper.

Unless, of course, it is still within my power to delete a thread?

Edited by Dragon Mage

Sorry, I'm having a hard time trying to understand what you're saying.

If your concern is over new users not understanding an "unwritten mechanic" that is actually documented in the official help guide, and the help guide is linked in the header of every page on the site, I'm just not sure what additional aides would actually be impactful? Just seems like, idk, you can give a newbie help guides, but you cant make 'em read. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's no problem, no issue at all, and the fault is entirely mine. Like I said, it's been a long time since I had any cause to peruse the guides themselves, and therefore this entire matter should be seen as nothing more than a complete error on my part, and mine alone. I mean that sincerely and in the most plain, honest way the words can be. ^__^ Thus, the utter superfluous nature of the thread cannot be understated, and I have no motive to belabor a nonexistent trouble. It's a fabrication of my own foolishness and nothing more, I assure you!

@Dragon Mage I've been here since 2010, and it was a while before I realised that new eggs were the most vulnerable, as they were even then. When i joined, the help area was nowhere near as helpful as it is today.  But - times do change. It behooves us all to read it over from time to time.

I'm sorry all your eggs got sick; I hope they are better now. There have been suggestions to change the mechanic - but more to give people time to rescue eggs when they are viewbombed. Don't feel bad. W all have doh moments (I had a terribly embarrassing one in TLQ the other day....) No-one remembers everything around here.

@Fuzzbucket I cannot overstate my gratitude that it isn't just me that accidentally bumble into this problem! Like you said, back in the day the help area wasn't nearly as comprehensive as it is now; even a quick glance over has told me that! I don't know who (or how many people) were involved in consolidating and streamlining the help guides so beautifully and so thoroughly, but I definitely give them a tip of the hat for all their hard work. There's certainly a lot to keep track of and I do feel a little less stupid and not mind all the egg on my face, thanks to your kind words! XD

(May be a bit of a pun there, but I don't mind)

15 hours ago, Dragon Mage said:

As such, I request any passing moderator summarily shove this thread into the trash and let it be forgotten, as is right and proper.

Done, glad you got your question answered. :)