TJ09

2020-10-02 - Trick or Treat Event Submissions

Our traditional gathering events, the Festival of Eggs and Trick or Treat, have been open for community submissions several times now. Having a wide variety of art in the event makes things that much more special, so I'm excited to open things up again this year and see what we receive.

All submissions must be sent via PM to @Event Art Submissions. The deadline for submissions is October 20.

Here's some base guidelines:

• Treats should be generally Halloween-themed, not just random objects.
  • Size limit of 50x50px.
  • Images must be submitted in PNG or GIF form.
  • Treats should be pixel art, which generally means that overall color count is limited and pixels are intentionally placed. Do not use e.g. filters or anti-aliased tools such as Photoshop's paint brush.
  • Treats may be animated, but should not use rapid or flashing effects. Animated PNGs are allowed, but your mileage may vary.
  • Semi-transparency is allowed.
  • Images must not be shared publicly before the event begins.
  • Images should not have blank space around the outer edges.
  • Treats should not use the egg base.
  • Treats may be rejected for reasons other than those in this post—namely, there will be a general quality bar. We'll try to provide useful feedback around rejections.
  • Only one submission will be accepted per-person.

There are a limited number of spots available. Art will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis which only applies when the art is deemed to meet all of the above guidelines (that is, if you need to make changes and resubmit, that bumps you to the back of the line).

By submitting art to the Trick or Treat event, you grant Dragon Cave a non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license to host, use, distribute, modify, copy, display, and create derivative works of your content. You can end this license any time by contacting us, though the art may not be immediately deleted. The license also ends immediately upon formal notice from us that the art will not be used in the event.

\ovo/

PS. I was ready and posted my submission rightaway!

Edited by VixenDra

Yayyyy!!!! I’m so excited to see everyone’s treats! Thank you for opening this again!

I didn't underatand the part saying "Images should not have blank space around the outer edges."

how should i put it?

59 minutes ago, Quiustath said:

I didn't underatand the part saying "Images should not have blank space around the outer edges."

how should i put it?

What art program are you using? If your sprite isn't animated, you can use the "trim" tool to cut off transparent pixels.

Good luck everyone!  I'm looking forward to seeing and enjoying your submissions!

50 minutes ago, Paintra said:

What art program are you using? If your sprite isn't animated, you can use the "trim" tool to cut off transparent pixels.

I am using GraphicsGale, it think its easy for beginners like me

17 hours ago, TJ09 said:
  • Images should not have blank space around the outer edges.

I am really confused by this too.

Is this referring to the spacing as in the art has to be fitted to the edges? 

Or is this saying no white background or "blank space" around the edges?

Or no transparency?

:unsure:

Edited by Yesh2976

I've been paying attention to DC so consistently that this will be my first halloween celebration with yall! Happy Halloween the 2nd everybody!

8 hours ago, Quiustath said:

21 minutes ago, Yesh2976 said:

I am really confused by this too

It's generally called "cropping" the image.  I'll give an example.

Spoiler

Imagine I draw a picture.

house-example-large-canvas.png.8540a0b1313f9367efed53004a64baf9.png

You should be able to see a faint gray box around it.  The forum draws boxes around all of the images I post here.  It will help you see what I'm talking about.  The image is bigger than it needs to be.  The computer has to remember about all of the empty space around the house, and all that empty space means that the image is never going to get very close to my text, or to other images.

Now I'm going to cut off most of that empty space, so that the image is only as big as it needs to be to hold the house.

house-example-small-canvas.png.4172aff8adbb7b5a75a6bb58417d83a3.png

The house is still the same size, but the computer doesn't have to waste effort on remembering about all the non-house space that nobody cares about.

This also lets me pack the houses together as tightly as I want.  I can do this: house-example-small-canvas.png.4172aff8adbb7b5a75a6bb58417d83a3.pnghouse-example-small-canvas.png.4172aff8adbb7b5a75a6bb58417d83a3.png

If I think they need more room, I can put spaces in between them, like this:     house-example-small-canvas.png.4172aff8adbb7b5a75a6bb58417d83a3.png   house-example-small-canvas.png.4172aff8adbb7b5a75a6bb58417d83a3.png

The old house image can't fit tightly together with anything:                              house-example-large-canvas.png.8540a0b1313f9367efed53004a64baf9.pnghouse-example-large-canvas.png.8540a0b1313f9367efed53004a64baf9.png

(You might also notice that the larger images spread out the rows of text, so I can't fit as much text on the page.)

Now imagine if most of the treats had a bunch of empty space in their images.  It would make the images take more space in the trick-or-treat basket, and it might make the computers need more space to store the images, but it wouldn't do anything useful.  And if some of the treats had lots of extra space and some of them didn't, then it would be impossible to make all of the treats line up neatly.

house-example-small-canvas.png.4172aff8adbb7b5a75a6bb58417d83a3.pnghouse-example-small-canvas.png.4172aff8adbb7b5a75a6bb58417d83a3.pnghouse-example-small-canvas.png.4172aff8adbb7b5a75a6bb58417d83a3.pnghouse-example-large-canvas.png.8540a0b1313f9367efed53004a64baf9.pnghouse-example-large-canvas.png.8540a0b1313f9367efed53004a64baf9.pnghouse-example-small-canvas.png.4172aff8adbb7b5a75a6bb58417d83a3.png

(Hey!  Why are some of those houses closer together than others are?)

So that's why TJ wants everyone to trim the extra space off of their images.

6 hours ago, Quiustath said:

I am using GraphicsGale, it think its easy for beginners like me

I don't use GraphicsGale myself, but this looks like it might tell you how to trim the extra space off of your image:

https://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=15984.0

All Frames->Enlarge Canvas, Crop or Resample.

You would probably want the "Crop" option.  Enlarge Canvas does the opposite (makes more room that you can draw in, which always starts out as empty space), and resample would probably make everything (including your treat and your empty space) grow bigger or smaller, which doesn't do anything to make the image stop wasting space.

I hope this helps!

Edited by Pilauli
Realized I should probably put my long explanation inside a spoiler tag. It's not a spoiler, but this means the only people who have to read it will be the ones who want to know what I said.

Good luck everyone! I must admit I saw the topic and thought "Is Trick-or-Treat happening earlier this year??? How did I miss it? AAAAAHHHH!" until I clicked through and read it. XD 

2 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Good luck everyone! I must admit I saw the topic and thought "Is Trick-or-Treat happening earlier this year??? How did I miss it? AAAAAHHHH!" until I clicked through and read it. XD 

Me too! I forgot about TJ soliciting player participation in creating the treats. I think it is a great feature to allow more people to contribute to the event. :)

I just sent in my first ever submission for any of these kinds of events >3> mine's something simple but cute. Good luck to all the spriters who submit something, can't wait to see this year's treats. :D

oh sweet, I don't think ive been active on the forums for one of these contests yet :0 might have to give it a shot! best of luck everyone!