lexi_

inappropriate name..?

i dont usually make topics of my own, so forgive me if this isnt where i should be postng this x_x 

my naming scheme for my dragons is usually i think of two words to string together, and boom, my dragon has a name. but i tried entering a name and it told me that it was inappropriate. 

the name i tried to put in was "rabbit chat". 

If I could hazard a guess: rabbit chat. Obviously a bit of a silly reason to block the name, but I understand the intent - to prevent users from inputting swear words. Unfortunately you'll have to pick a different name.

ahh,,, that makes a lot of sense. honestly cant believe i didnt notice that myself... lol. thats actually pretty funny. thanks for the answer >_< 

at least the name wasnt too meaningful, so i dont mind that precaution fjkdhfkdghkjdgh

It is pretty funny, can't lie. I was staring at it for a long time thinking "What? Why on earth would Dragon Cave block rabbit?" and then it hit me 😂

Yes - I wanted The pen is mightier than the sword, once. Nope :(

ahahha, thats honestly super silly. not even upset over not getting the name because of how funny it is realizing what was wrong LMAO

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Yes - I wanted The pen is mightier than the sword, once. Nope :(

🤣😂This is just too good. 

Anybody willint to find out whether vage-eye-nah goes through the filter?

Nope.

The name you entered contains inappropriate words and cannot be used.

I also just tried several others with spaces between words along the lines of my pen is mightier. - nope.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I'm guessing that if this part of the site code is in JavaScript, the swear filter function just takes the potential name in as a string, filters out the whitespaces, hyphens and special characters in the name (.filter()) and, if the .indexOf words from a predetermined array of banned/swear words after the letters have been put together isn't -1, it rejects the name. So any combination of spaces a user will try (rabbit ch or pen is mightier) will still get the swear word detected.

You'd have to either put more letters in there or do deliberate misspellings to get around it, and there's probably a list of misspellings it also rejects (peniis comes to mind).

Yeah. It won't let me name a dragon Shiitake Mushroom.

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Nope.

The name you entered contains inappropriate words and cannot be used.

I also just tried several others with spaces between words along the lines of my pen is mightier. - nope.

Not even if you used the pen's mightier?

I did want the PROPER quote as part of a Thing. It's too late now, but I'll try some time.

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Yeah. It won't let me name a dragon Shiitake Mushroom.

Actually that has nothing to do with spelling or anything else. It's simply because the name is taken:

https://dragcave.net/view/n/Shiitake Mushroom

47 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I did want the PROPER quote as part of a Thing. It's too late now, but I'll try some time.

Actually that has nothing to do with spelling or anything else. It's simply because the name is taken:

https://dragcave.net/view/n/Shiitake Mushroom

Ah, thanks, I should have noticed that. But the forum used to censor that word back in the day, so I made a rash assumption...

My bad.

Edited by purplehaze

It does allow peniis, too. (Now I need to un-name the poor thing...)

What - you missed out ? It's available - I just tried.... But I imagine someone will complain.

Would a dragon actually be killed if deemed to have an inappropriate name?

imo its better to play it safe either way, plus that wouldn't be very nice to the dragon to name it something so awful :( lol

How would someone know a dragon has an inappropriate name though unless you breed it and abandon or trade the eggs? I'm not asking because I want to name any dragons anything bad, but I'm curious really. I've never tried naming any of my dragons anything outright lewd or cursing.

Other people might see it on your scroll. I have reported a few overtly racist ones myself.