MoonShark

Expanding Holiday Breeding Season to Two Weeks

While I don't care if they have multiple opportunities to breed or not (though it would certainly be nice) I really don't see why that has to be limited in the first place.

On 9/24/2020 at 6:26 PM, calankh said:

Anyway, support, specifically:

extend holiday breeding for the entire month of the holiday (so Oct, Dec, Feb)

...I think that could/should include May.

Yes, I support extending the breeding period. Two weeks of breeding would be a huge help but a month dedicated to the festivity in question would be more meaningful for some players.

Anyway...

What about about the Holiday biome? During Halloween I've seen most of the players in the Holiday biome than hunting the AP. I don't wish the Holiday biome to go, on the contrary, I'm not a lineage builder so when it comes to Halloween I hunt for CB stuff, but I'd love an extension of the breeding period because during Christmas and V-day I'm in the AP all the time. But what would happen if we get an increase of CB limits of Christmas and V-day? Most players would hunt the Holiday biome than the AP during the breeding period. It's just my perception.

With the Holiday biome in place the AP runs slower. Still, my personal request would be: if the breeding window expands please expand the presence of the Holiday biome as well, some players lack CB exemplars for scroll completion, or just for hoarding.

29 minutes ago, Kegluneq said:

What about about the Holiday biome? During Halloween I've seen most of the players in the Holiday biome than hunting the AP. I don't wish the Holiday biome to go, on the contrary, I'm not a lineage builder so when it comes to Halloween I hunt for CB stuff, but I'd love an extension of the breeding period because during Christmas and V-day I'm in the AP all the time. But what would happen if we get an increase of CB limits of Christmas and V-day? Most players would hunt the Holiday biome than the AP during the breeding period. It's just my perception.

Well, if you play seriously, you get your intended CBs on day 1, on day 3 you either get more CBs or start getting AP eggs if they're down to 6 days. In the latter case, you can get another batch of eggs on day 4 instead of day 5. And during the time the eggs in the AP are incu-hatchable, getting one set of those, inchatch them and then hunt for more CBs is the way to go for optimal use of your scroll space.

1 hour ago, Kegluneq said:

...I think that could/should include May. 

What exclusive holiday eggs that can't breed the rest of the year happen in May? It's the cave's birthday, but regular dragons.

11 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

What exclusive holiday eggs that can't breed the rest of the year happen in May? It's the cave's birthday, but regular dragons.

I'd like to know that too. Makes no sense at all.

2 hours ago, olympe said:

Well, if you play seriously, you get your intended CBs on day 1, on day 3 you either get more CBs or start getting AP eggs if they're down to 6 days. In the latter case, you can get another batch of eggs on day 4 instead of day 5. And during the time the eggs in the AP are incu-hatchable, getting one set of those, inchatch them and then hunt for more CBs is the way to go for optimal use of your scroll space.

Yes.

Actually here's what I do, or intend to do this year: on day 1 I egglock myself with CBs; on day 3 I hunt more CBs from the AP because like you said, by that time I have a chance to get '5 days left' eggs (meaning Incuhatchable), I mean by day 3 APd eggs are 5 days left, correct? And a few hours later I can hunt for more CBs in the AP and get scroll locked on day 3, scroll locked with hatchies lol. By day 5 I got my first batch of adults and another batch of Incuhatchable AP eggs and so on, and so on... idealistically speaking I could have 24 adults by day 5 but, I'd either have a super duper internet connection and be extremely lucky to get 24 hatchies stolen on October 25 lol

It's possible and I can prove it. Last year was a bad hunting year for me because I had to hunt on phone but 2 years ago I tried this plan. Here I have 10 adults stolen on Oct 25 and hatched on Oct 27, the other 2 were stolen on the 25 but hatched on the 28...

https://dragcave.net/view/HN3ev

https://dragcave.net/view/uFDbe

https://dragcave.net/view/QOV4J

https://dragcave.net/view/myUC2

https://dragcave.net/view/Ro7dI

https://dragcave.net/view/6AJzR

https://dragcave.net/view/ZK1qM

https://dragcave.net/view/U6L4t

https://dragcave.net/view/PB8fo

https://dragcave.net/view/8Qa6A

https://dragcave.net/view/Y5HcU

https://dragcave.net/view/uRVkB

It's complicated but as long as you do your math right you'd be ready for the new release on time. But getting back to the subject, it's extremely difficult for CB hunters and lineage builders to look for stuff in the AP and a little more time for the breeding season would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, DragonLady86 said:

You're right. I'll correct myself.

It wouldn't be necessary, I now say (based on my previous post) that sometimes, in some anniversaries we get many Dragons it's a bit difficult to keep up, so a little more time to catch them during the anniversary itself would be nice.

But that's right, they're regular Dragons that can be obtained any time.

@Fuzzbucket clearly I wasn't thinking straight, apologies.

Edited by Kegluneq

15 hours ago, VixenDra said:

I did mean 2(I'm just not sure if I used English correctly or not), like I need 5 GoNs, being allowed 3 makes it 2 short for me

Sorry, I had misread :) Thanks for clearing up for me!

On 9/25/2020 at 4:57 PM, Odeen said:

I would be cool with increasing the window that holiday dragons could breed true if it could be done in such a way as to mean that individual holiday dragons can still breed only once per year. I feel like the slow progression of holiday lineages is part of their charm.

I completely agree.

I like extending the breeding window, but I don't like the idea of being able to breed one dragon twice on the same holiday, personally.

With both double breeding and multiclutches we will be dealing with up to twice as many holiday eggs in the ap as usuall, making the holiday ap situation even worse than it is. Those eggs will be spread over 2+ weeks, so technically it shouldn't be much worse than now. The thing is that time on holiday eggs in ap decreases consistently and on Halloween (the event when influencing is important for lineages) it drops way below 3 days just from the eggs bred this one week. Add possible second breeding and I think we end up with holiday eggs running out of time and just dying in ap.

Edited by Lyncerta

Huge support from me. There are certain aspects that need to change in order to keep up with the increasing player base. Aren't longer holidays always joyful?

25 minutes ago, Tetelestai said:

Huge support from me. There are certain aspects that need to change in order to keep up with the increasing player base. Aren't longer holidays always joyful?

Yes, we definitely need some changes. And I'd prefer changes that are going to work for a looong time to come, not just quick fixes that need to be fixed soon again. And, particularly with holidays, we have two major issues.

1. With the number of holiday breeds and the bred holidays on our scrolls, continuing all our lineage projects within a week is pretty much impossible. Ergo: We need a significantly longer breeding window.
    1. However, the prolonged breeding period needs to be balanced somehow. So, it's either getting rid of multi-clutches for holidays or allowing only one true-breeding per holiday per year. Personally, I'm all for keeping multi-clutches but only allow for one true breeding per holiday dragon per year as it favors newer players as well as giving all players the ability to hunt for other lineages or additions to our own. Either measure should ensure that the total number of holiday eggs produced doesn't rise significantly.
    2. Personally, I also think that the "fake cooldown" for young adult holidays should stay. Yes, it does slow down breeding project. But that's part of the price you pay for one guaranteed holiday offspring per year. Guaranteed as in you have a guarantee for an egg during that time as well as a guarantee that it is going to be a holiday egg. In other words: The fake cooldown is actually a balancing measure, and I'd rather keep the guarantee for a holiday egg than praying for the ratios to be in my favor for multiple generations each year.
  2. With the way holiday eggs get put in front of non-holiday eggs, players who aren't into holiday dragons are pretty much left out for all three breeding weeks and the first 6 days following that, so for roughly 6 weeks a year. This needs to change. On the other hand, due to the very limited time holiday dragons are available, we desperately need to be able to find them without having to pick up all those non-holiday eggs. Ergo: We either need a separate holiday AP or need to have at least one line of non-holiday eggs in the AP at all time.

MEGA-support from me. One week of slots doesn't cover all of the holiday things I would like to accomplish. Especially for Halloween when we aren't limited to just two caveborns.  I think the idea of breeding adults once per holiday would be a good idea. 

1 hour ago, Terrafreaky said:

MEGA-support from me. One week of slots doesn't cover all of the holiday things I would like to accomplish. Especially for Halloween when we aren't limited to just two caveborns.  I think the idea of breeding adults once per holiday would be a good idea. 

How do you mean - get rid of the holiday artificial cooldown ?

I am 1000% in favour of keeping multiclutches. The alternative - sure. I'd get my own lines done, but I wouldn't be able to drop good stuff for others on the side.

11 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

How do you mean - get rid of the holiday artificial cooldown ?

I think Terrafreaky meant to only allow us one breeding during a prolonged holiday breeding period.

Personally, I think that even if that involves another "fake cooldown" for already-bred holidays that keeps them on cooldown for the rest of the holiday breeding period is going to be much of an issue. Because those of us who breed holiday lineages will be too busy breeding those in the time we have to worry about having to wait a little longer to breed for non-holiday offspring.

To make it a little less abstract: Imagine we get all of October for Halloween breeding. However, we're only allowed one breeding per dragon. Thus, the "last bred" date will be October 25th (one week before November 1st), whether we breed our Halloween dragon on the 1st or 25th. (And, of course, after the 25th cooldowns will be normal again.)

It would be nice to have a bit more time.  Almost all of my lineages are holiday ones - so I'm only really active around holiday time (and then once a month for the new drop).  If I had more than just 7 days to work on those (which get bigger every year), that would be super awesome.

23 hours ago, olympe said:
  1.  Ergo: We either need a separate holiday AP or need to have at least one line of non-holiday eggs in the AP at all time.

Definitely agreeing to a second AP. I personally don't collect much beyond CB, but I might want to do lineages down the road. Having two APs during holidays give players a choice if they want to focus on the holiday dragons or just regular. I'd honestly be okay with holidays breeding for the holiday month but no multiclutching. I'm sure that's too much, but I'm throwing it out as an example of the dire need for change here. A week simply isn't enough time for most people who have families to visit and what not. Make it two weeks, at minimum.

Perhaps, since there's disagreement on whether letting dragons breed more than once a season is a good idea or not but there's no one objecting to a longer breeding season, we could simply try expanding the breeding season while leaving the holiday cooldown as is and decide if we want to change that or not the following year?

It's October 1 now. It sure would be nice to be able to breed a few more Halloween lineages! I've been doing marrow checkers for ten years now, that's an AEON in Internet years, yet instead of feeling like my project is flourishing I feel like I just fall further and further behind every year. 😞  So many dragon breeds, and such a limited number of breedings allowed per year...

Edited by tjekan

5 hours ago, tjekan said:

Perhaps, since there's disagreement on whether letting dragons breed more than once a season is a good idea or not but there's no one objecting to a longer breeding season, we could simply try expanding the breeding season while leaving the holiday cooldown as is and decide if we want to change that or not the following year?

Full support from me. Let's start with the middle ground!

Support!

I've probably opposed it in the past, but the more holiday dragons pile up, the less the holiday-only dragon appeals. Between the logistics of wrangling eleventy-twelve different breeds of dragon during a seven-day window and being reminded that some of my faves are essentially locked up for all but a week each year, I've started to wish they were snaggable as CB at holidays but breedable year-round.

But I know that probably won't fly, so heck yeah, please, expand the window to 14 days or a full month, please.

At this time I do not have any plans to expand holiday breeding beyond the current one week period. This will apply to all of this "season's" events: Halloween, Holidays, and Valentine's Day.

Dropping by to say I fully support the idea as well. Even making it '10 days' would be awesome, if not two weeks. Of course with every holiday being able to breed only once per holiday season.

Edited by yieldy

Support! I'd also like a holiday AP change rather than removing multiclutching.

I will just say that I liked having the row of "normal" AP eggs added at the bottom of the AP holiday wall!  That was very cool and seems like a nice thing to do for people who aren't interested in holidays OR who just want a break from holiday hunting, so I hope it returns for future events; thank you for setting it up, TJ!

With the constantly increasing number of holidays (and alt-having hols especially) some extension will be necessary sooner or lster.

Full support. Lineages are a big part of the game so being so restricted in holiday lineages is a buzzkill.

On 5/27/2021 at 8:55 PM, Shadowdrake said:

With the constantly increasing number of holidays (and alt-having hols especially) some extension will be necessary sooner or lster.

Bear in mind that this WILL mean an extension of the AP holiday wall.... On those grounds - no support.