Varasse

Remove time limit for influencing BSA (Eggs with over 3 days left)

I love this suggestion, particularly for those players who have limited time to be online. While I'm fortunate not to have many things demanding my attention, there's been several occasions where something urgent at work has gotten in the way of life/my online hobbies, and there is nothing more tedious than finally getting the egg you need (looking at you Luminas) only to have it gender incorrectly because your mind was elsewhere and you missed the deadline to be able to influence it. I can see the points of those against it, but personally, I'd give the complete removal of influence time limit a thumbs up.

i'm glad someone brought up the counterargument for it only being (more) relevant during christmas or especially halloween (i say more relevant since it does happen at other times of year, but it's a particularly bad problem during these times) because you can only get those breeds at that time of year. if i see a dragon that's exactly what i need, but i use prerecognition on it and, surprise, it's set to be the wrong gender! it's a major pain to have to wait another entire year just because there was some arbitrary limit for me to not be able to influence it. it doesn't make much sense to me personally. i support this thread.

I'd like to clear up some things.

My suggestion had nothing to do with holidays. When I posted it there was a massive wall of a specific breed on the AP (Black Tips, Nocturnes?) and the times had fallen under 3 days. This happens almost every time an extensive wall builds up. Which means several times a year.

And no, this is not about being picky and not wanting the poor darlings that will not gender the way I was hoping for. I do hatch those eggs nonetheless and gift the hatchies, no big deal. But when the AP is full of those eggs for days, especially when we are speaking of a not so popular breed, you will reach a point where nobody takes those hatchies of your hands anymore. Yes, I could always send them back to the AP, but that is simply not my goal. You may call me idealistic or naive, but I simply prefer to spend my time, effort and scroll space on eggs that I know will have loving homes and not grow up as wild dragons.

And no again, my suggestion will not solve the wall problem. But it might help clear walls if the eggs were influenceable and thus more desirable, not only for keeping, but gifting too. There seem to be plenty of people here who like to help clear the AP (thank you!) but plenty of users turning their back until there are more cherries to pick again too.

Yeah it seems people are taking this in a very specific holiday-related direction, but it's an issue that affects not only the AP as a whole, but trading as well. Imagine having several things up for trade that you've painstakingly collected over time, some of them at risk of growing up after days, and finally you get an offer of a CB metal that you need - only for it to be under 3 days. I've taken offers like that before and then had to struggle to also find a swap if it didn't precog right.

We already have influence to avoid this issue, why limit it in a completely arbitrary way? Even lore wise it makes no sense as an egg's stage is not only determined by time but also views; should eggs also be uninfluencable if they already have a big hole in them because the hatchling is too developed? Clearly not.

To clarify, I'd also be fine with it being added for year-round use as well. I just thought that it was unfair to say that it's only needed "2-3 times per year" when those 2-3 times are even more important than the rest of the year.

4 hours ago, MissK. said:

Yeah it seems people are taking this in a very specific holiday-related direction, but it's an issue that affects not only the AP as a whole, but trading as well.

I think it's because Holiday lineages where you need the holiday-kin are a one-shot attempt per year [so if you can't find/influence for the right gender you're out of luck until next year] - so a lot of people are looking at that.

That aside, I pledge support for this earlier in the thread and feel it should be a permanent thing and not just for the holidays

This seems like a cool idea!  I don't see any reason it wouldn't work with gameplay or with the lore, honestly. 

(On the holiday side of things... has anyone suggested yet that AP holiday eggs that fall below influencing time should auto-hatch?  Because that would be really helpful right now...  **stares at the wall**)  XP

That wouldn't make much sense lore or mechanically, and some of us enjoy shoveling the ap heh. I've been chugging away at it on and off since the release.

i agree that that suggestion wouldn't make much sense. i've also been lurking at the ap, but i do want to say that times have been below 3 days (sitting more at the low 2 day mark, actually) for maybe... 3 days now? i've lost track. but definitely for a long while, and some of them are being left there because people use prerecog on them and see that they will gender wrong, and then toss them back.

It's 'eggs are at 3 days or below' o'clock so would love to add my support for this! Such a shame to have gorgeous lineages (especially during a time like halloween where it takes a full year to recreate them) not being able to be influenced to follow a lineage pattern.

Edited by dragonico

18 hours ago, dragonico said:

It's 'eggs are at 3 days or below' o'clock so would love to add my support for this! Such a shame to have gorgeous lineages (especially during a time like halloween where it takes a full year to recreate them) not being able to be influenced to follow a lineage pattern.

Agreed 100%

I am firmly convinced after hunting the AP this morning that all the nicely lineaged eggs that are still there are there because they precog the wrong gender to continue their lineage! The eggs are at 2d 8 or 9h, so cannot be influenced. I have thrown back some real beauties, including some that would have fit beautifully with lineages that I am already building -- if only I could influence them.

It would be good if we could influence at least down to 2d0h. Even 3d0h would be some help.

10 minutes ago, Terrafreaky said:

Yeah.   I threw back a 2G Halloween prizekin because it was going to misgender. 😪

I'm currently raising 8 2G hatchlings to see how they gender. At least the one PB gender doesn't matter, but I may freeze some.

Support!

At this point I don't have any plans to change or remove the limitations around the influence BSA. As such, I'll close this thread.