Varasse

Remove time limit for influencing BSA (Eggs with over 3 days left)

This has been discussed in the massbreed thread and I did not find a matching suggestion thread here (only the one regarding removing the limit for Halloweens).

Can the time limit on the influence ("Eggs with over 3 days left") be removed altogether please?

I understand the time limit for incubate but for influence it makes no sense.

This would greatly help with the wall problem until a overall solution regarding the AP can be found.

I've been hatching AP eggs for the last days like a madwoman but once you run out of Aeons to check if the hatchie has the right gender, keeping/gifting/trading gets difficult.

Yes, please. Let people with hundreds of Pinks actually USE them on low-time eggs!

This would be fantastic both for the normal walls and for Halloween.

If the limit can't just be removed (for realism reasons), maybe say "at this point it takes more effort to influence the embryo's gender" and increase the Pink's cooldown?

1 hour ago, Zimtie said:

This would greatly help with the wall problem until a overall solution regarding the AP can be found.

No, it wouldn't help the "Wall Problem" at all!  It would just be another justification for mass breeding which is ruining the game for so many players. The only way to solve that problem would be to put a stop to, or at least limit this activity. 

This last week has seen the AP walled up almost the entire time. While creating these walls might be fun for a small number of people, and some folks don't mind what breeds they pick up, there are a lot of players who have scroll goals that cannot be advanced when there are walls. Why not give them a break too?

Support from me; the time limit on Influence barely makes sense in lore and makes zero sense for the gameplay loop of DC in general.

1 minute ago, Stormcaller said:

No, it wouldn't help the "Wall Problem" at all!  It would just be another justification for mass breeding which is ruining the game for so many players. The only way to solve that problem would be to put a stop to, or at least limit this activity. 

This last week has seen the AP walled up almost the entire time. While creating these walls might be fun for a small number of people, and some folks don't mind what breeds they pick up, there are a lot of players who have scroll goals that cannot be advanced when there are walls. Why not give them a break too?

If you want to complain about massbreeds then maybe the massbreed thread would be better than a suggestion thread sparked in part by said massbreeds.

2 minutes ago, Keileon said:

If you want to complain about massbreeds then maybe the massbreed thread would be better than a suggestion thread sparked in part by said massbreeds.

Perhaps so, but my response was made to a comment that was made in the OP.  It is therefore appropriate to bring up for discussion here too.

You're reading that statement as the wall being the problem.

I choose to read it different: The "wall problem" being addressed here is not being able to influence the eggs you can get there now.

No need to bring the other discussion here as well, it only clutters this thread.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Although I can sort of see the sense in it (the baby has developed too far to change?) I would really like to see this limit removed.

Yes please, no reason not to have this really. It would also help with trading since sometimes I get a low time offer I wish I could still influence.

44 minutes ago, Stormcaller said:

It's more an issue of what shows up to be viewed in the AP, rather than actual walls as such  - which do help with ratios.  May I suggest you chip in to a thread discussing that issue than one with a specific request about influence.

This would especially be great after Halloween! Or for low-time eggs in general that people get from the AP and trading, too. I'd for sure like this.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

Although I can sort of see the sense in it (the baby has developed too far to change?) I would really like to see this limit removed.

That should only really hold true for cracked eggs.

eh. Lore-wise, i see the reason for the limit. I mean, eggs do say: "Unborn dragons are actually physically mature and ready to hatch early on in their development cycle." though given that, it kinda surprises me that the limit's not at 4 days since that's when eggs are mechanically mature enough to hatch.

gameplay wise, eh. there are definitely times it would be nice to influence a low-time egg.

42 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

though given that, it kinda surprises me that the limit's not at 4 days since that's when eggs are mechanically mature enough to hatch.

It's actually worse than that! They're mechanically mature enough to hatch far before then - at 5d with Influence, earlier still if you use the Kill functionality to force the egg to hatch (runs risk of instead killing the egg or the hatchling running away). There's a whole line of discussion about how the current lore doesn't really make all too much sense in the Allow re-influencing thread, starting about at this post.

I'd be in favour of ditching the time limit! The alternative of making it dependent on the amount of cracks an egg has is also very nice and might even solve part of the current lore problem. :)

How about if it depends on the number of views. They can't hatch below a certain number, and that would really help with AP eggs that arrive on our scrolls with 1-2 views and nary a crack....

20 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

How about if it depends on the number of views. They can't hatch below a certain number, and that would really help with AP eggs that arrive on our scrolls with 1-2 views and nary a crack....

This would be helpful: the BSA still has its limits, and there's much less disappointment of finding great lineages which will misgender.

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

How would this work in practice though? Would there be a specific but arbitrary limit for everything, or would it be different based on the egg since the views for hatching vary a lot too?

The views required for hatching progress supposedly correspond to the cracks. My suggestion would be, once an egg is lower than 3 days AND has a big gaping hole in its shell, it's beyond influence. But if its shell is still largely unaffected, the egg should still be influencable down to the last hour.

To be honest, I would prefer no limit period. The view and cracking suggestion would both be painful for people who receive eggs in a trade or picked up an egg from the AP that was already placed in hatcheries (Thuweds, anyone?). If there really must be some limit, perhaps any time under 1 day? At that point, the egg is close to death, so maybe the logic is there...

There's no need for any sort of limit on this based off of lore, that's just making it unnecessarily complicated. DC already doesn't 100% line up with it's lore and gameplay anyway.

It's a bit silly to me that apparently I can bite all of those low time eggs in the AP (provided they're the standard breeding group, of course) but not influence them right now. Speaking as someone who uses EQ a lot, one of the requirements for forcing a dragon is that it has at least a s1 crack. You can actually observe a difference in the death message for an EQ kill in this way. An uncracked egg says it "killed whatever was forming inside", but s1 onwards yields the message "killed the baby dragon inside". Development to me, in that way, feels like it's more tied to views or is a combination of both views and time. But I feel like the limit is best just removed altogether since really, this has nothing but tons of upsides in regards to stuff such as Halloween dragons from the AP, longevity of trades, and what have you.

also my aeons finally won't be lying to me when they say some low time thing's future can still be influenced.

Also Hollies and Mistletoes, plus whatever awaits after an extended holiday wall.

This is an instance where it makes more sense to separate gameplay from lore. Remove the limit altogether-- no reason to complicate it by tying it to views or cracks, especially as that comes with its own set of problems (like whenever Thuweds get hatcheried)

I don't see a need to complicate this. A simple change to allowing any egg to be influenced would be both useful and (at risk of repeating myself) simple. Incubate having a limit makes sense, as there's a point at which taking another day off runs the risk of the egg getting close to death. Influence, which neither adds nor removes time but only adjusts the egg's gender, doesn't need that time-related limitation associated with it.

I support this suggestion, with the caveat of it being a simple removal of the time limit rather than something complicated involving views or cracks.