TJ09

2020-08-23 - August Dragon Release

Gorgeous!!  Almost forgot to add my eggs to a hatcherie oops  I love that silky periwinkle of the skystriders and the glowy shading on the astaari is delicious *o*

I absolutely love both of these so much. The skystriders look so smooth, I want to touch them.

3 hours ago, Niyaka said:

I agree @Shokomon

Excuse the awful phone scribble, but I really think it should look something like this

Yeah exactly. If it is meant to go down the back, then we should see it joining from the other side too. As is, it just looks like a very bizarre mistake.

Been staring at the astaarus, just realised they have hooves thought it was a nice detail as mal did say they were based on Taurus, which is a bull!

Great release as usual! I'm glad the adult Astaarus(es) kept their bright bold s2 hatchie colors, really makes them stand out from other sky-related breeds imo. Neither new breed is a favorite for me, but they are both very well done and pretty. I'm still over here cooing at the s1 Skystrider though, the wittle flapflaps! 

Nice dragons. Won't be my favorites, but nothing to dislike. Thanks to the spriters for your hard work and to TJ for releasing these.

The female is my favorite for the Astaarus, but the male is my favorite Skystrider. I just like the poses.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

SKY ones in FOREST ????

Well, there are three SKYstrider eggs on their scroll, but only 2 Astaarus eggs. I guess that's what they meant.

Lovely adults, kudos to the artists! 

Is it just me, or has the Skystrider female sprite been tweaked?

4 minutes ago, stagazer_7 said:

Lovely adults, kudos to the artists! 

Is it just me, or has the Skystrider female sprite been tweaked?

It's not just you- looks like the female was tweaked a bit to make the "v" shape with the lighter blue line. I like the change myself, makes it more clear that the dragon's got symmetrical markings :D

Edit: Looking more closely, I think I'm wrong. I do get the feeling something was changed, but it's probably just deja vu. LOL

Edit AGAIN: Looking at the sprite history on the wiki made it clearer to me:

image.png.e29ea8f0b9a5ed0bd3bb8c4f6fb3d69d.png

It's small, but I like it!

Edited by Paintra

I expected the Skystriders to be my favorite between these, but I am much too fond of fire to Not love the Astaarus 

I really like the name Skystrider.  IMHO, a nice name is a big plus for any dragon.  :D

20 minutes ago, Stormcaller said:

I really like the name Skystrider.  IMHO, a nice name is a big plus for any dragon.  :D

AGREED honestly! I wasn't sure I'd love it so much when I realized it was a "sky" name, but Skystrider is just so great!

8 hours ago, Paintra said:

It's not just you- looks like the female was tweaked a bit to make the "v" shape with the lighter blue line. I like the change myself, makes it more clear that the dragon's got symmetrical markings :D

Edit: Looking more closely, I think I'm wrong. I do get the feeling something was changed, but it's probably just deja vu. LOL

Edit AGAIN: Looking at the sprite history on the wiki made it clearer to me:

image.png.e29ea8f0b9a5ed0bd3bb8c4f6fb3d69d.png

It's small, but I like it!

I'm happy with the change because now my brain has stopped interpreting The wings as perpendicular to the body (which is why it bothered me so much even though logically, I know that the back had been twisted to us.)

The additional stripe helps cement the perspective.

At least, it does for me.

So thank you @Corteo and @Dohaerys!

Glad the change helped clear up the confusion.  Fun fact I originally wanted to call them Skywalker, but I figured Disney might not be too happy.   Plus Skystrider sounds cooler.

Idk if this is the place for this type of feedback. If not, let me know and I will put it elsewhere, but since I have seen people leave positive feedback on the news threads then I assume they are a place where feedback can go?

I have an issue w/ the Astaarus dragon description. I have been been seriously and directly harmed by the idea that men "playfully" chasing someone who is clearly running away, or otherwise "playfully" violating women's boundaries, is just fine and dandy and the way that it should be. I know some animals do this (eg. ducks), but dragons are portrayed as sentient beings in this, unless I'm way off base. Normalizing "playful" violation of females' boundaries by males makes me deeply uncomfortable. 

Sorry this was so long. I am not good at being brief. 

The designs are beautiful as always, and I appreciate the effort that is continually put into this site. 

Edited by w0rmg0d

12 minutes ago, w0rmg0d said:

Normalizing "playful" violation of females' boundaries by males makes me deeply uncomfortable.

I agree with this sentiment. However, in this case, I'm pretty sure that's not what the description is representing. There's no mention of the males ignoring the females' boundaries or the females trying to run away from the males. In fact, if they were then the text would not make much sense, because then the humans would be seeing the trail the females left as they fled at top speed, not just the trail left by the males. The description sounds more like it really is playful, and that the males are pursuing the females who are NOT trying to get away from them.

However, the possibility of it coming across wrong might be eliminated by changing the phrase "in playful chase" into "in playful pursuit." The word "chase" may sound more aggressive or stalker-like out of context, whereas we are all used to sentient beings of both genders pursuing each other in socially fine ways. 🙂

Y'all it's literally a reference to Aldebaran appearing to "chase" the Pleiades in the sky, it's not that deep.

Both breeds are lovely, and the Astaarus might be a new thing to hoard. Their description is cute.

if there WAS a problem with the astaarus description it'd be the same problem with blacktips and hellfires but nobody complains about them

Edited by Keileon

Many species of animals playfully chase each other during mating season. It's a natural occurrence, I don't see it as a form of violence from reading that description. Description seems fine to me.