blockEdragon

Draconia - A dragon open world survival game with RPG elements (New map, Vindsvept now recruited)

Which of the six dragons would you be the most excited to play?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Draconia_Illustration1200wm.jpg?width=721&height=406

What is Draconia?

Draconia is an open-world dragon survival game with RPG elements being made in Unreal Engine 4.

Play as one of six different dragon species and take over the sky or the land.
Follow the path of Taruk and uncover the story behind Draconia through quests, secret locations and various characters in singleplayer and multiplayer mode.

If you don’t want to play alone, join others in a multiplayer game or invite your friends to join your group or clan and level your characters together.

FAQs from their discord:

Spoiler

-What is Draconia?

Draconia is a dragon survival game with RPG elements, where you play as the dragon.

-Which engine are you using?

We are using Unreal Engine 4.

-For how long have you been working on this game so far?

We started working on the project in early 2016, but we took some time to work on the foundation of the game, which includes concepts, ideas, lore and mechanics. Active development in-engine started in 2019.

-Is Draconia an MMO?

We are aiming for a player count of 60 players per official server, but private server hosts can increase this number. 60 is rather low compared to most known MMO’s, however it might still fall under this category for a lot of people.

-When is the game coming out?

We’re aiming for early 2022, however we aim to bring you a quality product, and as such the date is not set in stone.

-Can I help test the game before release?

By supporting us on Patreon, you can gain access to a pre-release version, available sometime in 2021, where you can help us test performance and find bugs as we develop the game further.

-What platform will I be able to play the game on?

There might be Linux/MacOS support in the future, but for now it will be Windows only. No console support planned as of right now.

-Where will I be able to buy the game?

We will launch on Steam. If you’re interested, you can wishlist us right now!

-What will the price be?

We’re aiming for $25-$35, depending on the contents of the finished product. With current development plans, most probable price is $30.

-How many playable characters will be in the game?

There are currently 7 playable species planned: 6 dragons - Wyvern, European Dragon, Eastern Dragon, Quetzalcoatl, Behemoth, Lindworm; and a Griffin, courtesy of a generous backer. There will also be 3 wildlife species: The Kirin, the Golems and the Stoneback (dragon turtle). We may add more as development progresses.

-Will I be able to have multiple creatures on a single server?

You will be able to have multiple save slots for various creatures, but their quantity may depend on the server you will be playing on.

-How many maps are there and will there be more in the future?

We are currently working on one map, which will contain all the story relevant parts of the game, but we may or may not work on additional maps after full release.

-Will the dragons be able to breathe fire?

Of course! But not all species. Each dragon species will have their own element.

-Will there be different biomes?

The main map will be heavily based on ancient and modern Iceland. There will be dense forest areas, mountains, open plains and special story relevant biomes.

-Will there be caves?

Cave systems are planned and will contain resources unique to them.

-Will there be some sort of territory system?

There will be safe zones, which will also work as nesting grounds. Players will have to claim them and they will have to do some work to keep them secure.

-Will players have their own dens?

Dens are on the to-do list!

-Will there be a level system and how will it work?

Yes. You will gain exp by gathering resources, creating items, completing quests and killing enemies and wildlife. Your dragon will also grow with each level and get stronger.

-Will there be destructible terrain, like rocks and trees?

We might add destructible objects later at some point. However these are very performance intensive, so we try to avoid them.

-Will there be hoards and how will they be made?

There will be and you will need to gather a couple of resources to make one. After creating one you will have the option to upgrade it in two different ways: Increase its camouflage or make it more resistant to attacks, since they will be destructible. However, this is just the most basic storage system we have planned so far.

-What will combat be like?

Each dragon will have a specific ability that will be helpful in combat and make your or your friends dragon life easier. Every species will have its strengths and weaknesses, but we are trying to keep the characters balanced, e.g. Flying dragons will have a hard time to kill a Behemoth with ranged attacks. Hunting will depend on what animal you are trying to have for dinner. Not every creature will flee, if you attack it.

-Is there PvP?

Yes, however it is not mandatory. You will be able to opt-in to PvP if you’re interested in fighting other players.

-Will players be able to play as babies?

You will start as a young dragon/hatchling and grow with each level.

-Can you carry objects?

Players will be able to loot food from corpses. We may add a feature that allows you to carry carcasses and even hatchlings.

-Will there be nesting and what will it be like?

We are heavily working on the nesting mechanic, to make it challenging, but also fun. However, if you do everything right, you will have a new dragon hatchling as your follower.

-Will there be controller support?

The current build has partial controller support, but we may have to remove it and re-add it at a later date

Their site

Their twitter

Their youtube channel (new link)

Their discord

Have a look around and make up your own mind about if they're legit or not and if they're worth your money, I am personally very excited for this game but as always - do your research first and donate at your own risk! Be careful out there!

I understand anyone who is skeptical of them after the whole Day Of Dragons nonsense but they have a lot more to show for their work, the assets are all their own, and they're not doing crummy things like making exclusive backer content. They also stream their work from time to time, I don't usually catch the streams so I can't tell you much about what they're usually like but they do have them from time to time. They're overall are a lot nicer that the DoD devs and feel a lot more legit to me. In my experience they're FAR less rude to critics and often respond to them very quickly, and I'm not just talking about communication. If they agree with the critic they often post a video a few days or a week, the videos showcase a change they made in response to critics, I've seen them update animations multiple times in response to criticisms. 

The Dragons:

They are a cut above most dragon games in terms of diversity, instead of dying on the "one true body type" hill like most dragon media they allow for diverse options with 6 planned body types.

Draconia - Armor Concept

Here they are in some concept art for facial armor. As of typing this the European, and lindwyrm are playable in the alpha they have going. Each dragon  is going to have its own element and special ability that helps the player to survive or supports them and their friends in combat.

The Western:

"The European Dragon aka “Vodros” is the all-rounder among the main characters. Unlike other dragons, it doesn’t have any major weaknesses or strengths, which make it easier to play for beginners. However, due to its balanced stats, it needs to consume a higher amount of food and water.

Its base element is the shadow element."

-Official site

They've recently updated some of the animations: on the ground and hovering

The western was the first one to be made, it's currently playable in the alpha and is the one I have the most screenshots of

Glimpse at their current animations for the western.

918b59e0274e2d9e7522769bacdf0ce7-jpg.jpg?width=784&height=406

Human for scale.

The Lindwyrm:

"The Lindworm aka “Yggaron” is a flightless dragon, which prefers dense forests and caves, where it hides from flying enemies.
Even though it appears to be weak due to its unusual anatomy, it will fight back with strong poison attacks."

-Official Site

Lindwyrms are now playable in the beta alongside westerns! You can see more screenshots of them in the discord screenshot thread.

Draconia - Lindworm LindyMarkPrev.png?width=954&height=406

Lots of footage of the lindwyrm. They talking might throw some off but it's decent footage.

The Eastern:

"The Eastern Dragon aka “Yamati” is less of a fighter, but more of a support class which has a variety of healing skills.
It represents the water element and can therefor often be found close to rivers and lakes."

-Official site

YamatiShimmer.jpg?width=405&height=406

They're iridescent by default but it can be turned off if you don't want yours to be.

Kotone1.png?width=915&height=406Kotone3.png?width=915&height=406Kotone2.png?width=915&height=406

A new eastern skin has been created thanks to a backer.

Eastern_Dragon_Pattern.jpg?width=656&height=406

The eastern had a redesign.

The eastern dragon's new model, probably my favorite so far.

easternaltWIP.png?width=842&height=406

Early preview of an alt eastern model, this is not a replacement but an alternative model both will be used if I understand the announcement correctly.

The Wyvern:

"The Wyvern aka “Fyrrwin” is a skilled flyer which lives on the floating islands and prefers to stay high up in the sky. It has low health and defense stats, but fights back with strong fire attacks."

-Official Site

WyvernHighPoly.jpg?width=1025&height=356

EnMayUHXMAIi-oM?format=png&name=900x900

It looks just about finished which means texturing is probably gonna start soon.

Concept art for wyvern nesting grounds.

The Quetzalcoatl:

"The Quetzalcoatlus aka “Tecatl” is, like the Wyvern, a dragon which prefers to live in higher places, closer to the sun. It has a large amount of mana and energy, which allow it to stay in the air for a very long time. It's base element is light"

-Official Site

Draconia - Quetzalcoatl

The Behemoth:

"The Behemoth aka “Gaulung” is another flightless dragon, which lives in rocky areas and large caves. It doesn’t fear attackers from above due to its high health and defense stats.
The base element of the Behemoth is earth."

-Official Site

Draconia - Behemoth

unknown.png?width=1025&height=368

new sketch

WIPBehemoth.png

First look at the behemoth model (WIP)

behemoth.png?width=635&height=609

Second look.

The Gryphon:

Draconia - Griffin Sketch04ce7d0d97616293635a0bd69e514c86.jpg?width=897&height=406CorvidGriffin_Wip_jun26_2020_01.jpg?width=721&height=406

WIPGriffin.png?width=907&height=406

Gryphons will be playable, a backer donated a large sum of money and got to choose a new playable race, they picked gryphons. 

They appear to be based on ravens which I am personally very, very happy about.

Other creatures:

WIPDrake.png?width=923&height=406

Early WIP drake model. They're a wildlife creature.

Draconia - Kirin (Reworked)

Kirin's will be in the game which is pretty neat, they are not playable.

Draconia - Ka'sai

They also have these lizard people that seem to live in tribal villages, they will not be playable.

Draconia - NeoGolem Variations

They also have golems, the red one is supposedly going to be a miniboss of some sort according to the artist.

Customization:

ImageImage

Character customization is already looking quite in depth. You can have both natural and unnatural colors, the server can however decide that they only want natural colors if they so choose.

ImageGem.png?width=1015&height=406

1051962467_DraconiaFlowerCrown.png.646c28086d134cc3e7fe057bb8f32b89.png628577473_DraconiaFlowerCrown.png.01be72d67128a06927b692cd6fd56f1e.png

Accessories are also an option, and they've made their colors customizable which is a really nice touch.

Warpaint is also in the game.

Iridescence is also available for all breeds and you're even allowed to choose the color of your shine which is really interesting, eastern dragons have it by default but it can be turned off if you wish.

The Environment:

It's mostly based on Iceland according to devs, with more fantastical elements peppered in for obvious reasons.

"There is currently a new map in the making which is larger and allows us to add aquatic creatures in the far future. While we can't give you a release date yet, we can give you a few screenshots of the new spawn location. "

ErLmVR-XUAEi6KV?format=jpg&name=large

ErLmVR_WMAALsO4?format=jpg&name=large

There are a few other photos of the new map:

Altuis8.png?width=1242&height=609

A pine forest

Altuis7.png?width=1339&height=609

Altuis6.png?width=1401&height=609

Hot springs

Altuis3.png?width=1201&height=609

Altuis4.png?width=1201&height=609

Early look at the landscape

https://i.gyazo.com/8fbb3585da02a2d3f6d2cf8614b98b4e.mp4

https://i.gyazo.com/e2838f635d0e7d85aeb63ac84a198231.mp4

Some videos of the environment.

EqiueXNXYAIv87z?format=jpg&name=medium

Some sort of mushroom model.

Old map:

WaterfallVillage.png?width=869&height=406

Ka'sai Village

LindyTerritory3.png?width=759&height=406

Lindwyrm territory. 

Eastern Territory

A crystal cave, I think this a lair if remember correctly

The bioluminescent plants are pretty neat.

skysystem4.png?width=721&height=406

A sky and weather system has been added. This photo is a first peak at it.

Enbrj3PW8AA2YUp?format=jpg&name=large

This one came with no caption but I think it's fog.

Other:

1295900_20200818153832_1.png?width=721&height=406

Multiplayer has now been added to the alpha beta test!

First fire breath demo.

(the western is being used purely for test proposes because the wyvern is not finished yet, the wyvern will be the fire breather, not the western)

The fire breath has been improved!

Ay2RFPwq.jpg

"We are finally able to officially announce our collaboration with Vindsvept, who will be working on the music for Draconia!"

His channel

----------

That's about it for what I have right now, I edit this when new news comes out but their discord or twitter is the best place to get the news so be sure to check those out if you're interested.

in case anyone is wondering The vast majority of of these photos either came from the official Twitter, the others discord announcements section, or in a few cases, the lead dev's DeviantArt page. I'd recommend the discord if you want the newest photos, twitter gets most of the important ones a few hours to a day later and the deviant art mostly has the concept art.

Thoughts on the game?

Edited by blockEdragon

Daaaaang...thank you for posting this, this looks great!!  I never would've known about it.  I'm disappointed that it won't end up on a console, but it still looks fun.  We're in dire need of more games where YOU play as the dragon.

Isn't this like 1 of 3 dragon games coming out? I know of the one but don't want to play it for obvious reasons...

Yes there are multiple dragon games in production, Emberfall is one that's about wyvern-style dragons fighting humans, Day of Dragons was one but turned out to be a massive scam, The Dragon Game Project technically also exists but it's VERY early in production (i'm not actually sure what the genre even is), the flight videos are very pretty though so it's not without potential, and a 2d side-scroller I glanced at on reddit that's about being a dragon rider called Dragon Creek.

There are other dragon indie games I just personally am most interested in Draconia and thought it deserved a thread.

Edited by blockEdragon

As everyone knows; always be yourself unless you can be a dragon, then be the dragon. I like how expansive their being. The options for different dragons is nice. It was a good touch adding gryphons to the list though.