camelia2

Warning for holidays on Encyclopedia

I've got tired (and feel so sorry) for the trades of clueless newbie that request holiday breeds outside of season on trade hub.

Nowhere on DC is it mentioned that there are holiday-specific breeds (some don't even look like being speciffic ex Desipis vs Black Zyu) and that they're only obtainable once/year.

Poor newbies have no ideia. 

I know I've been drawn to DC by the breathtaking Mistletoe, Soulstone and Garland. I was upset when I *finally* found wikia to tell me I'll have to wait.

Sometimes I forget if a breed is holiday and would like to check fast in Encyclopedia.

Sure there is wikia, and forum but a newbie doesn't know, also IMO a site should have all critical info as this within itself, not relying on unofficial sources to spread this info (which was also wrong when I joyned. Wiki sayd only 2 holiday/scroll when is actually only 2 CB/scroll)

Fix: add a tiny warning 'only found on its season/unobtainable outside of season' on the Encyclopedia page at the top along with body type

Due to their unique mechanic, Seasonal should display the same warning

Edit: Reading all the replies I realise the unlocking part eluded me.

I'm now in favour of adding this notice on the dragon description and/or in a special 'chapter' of the Encyclopedia along with 'elements' and 'magic'.

it reads 'holidays', lists all holiday species by holiday name and maybe some lore.

I hold onto the Encyclopedia part as it is very easy to find and the place you'd expect to find relevant info, more accesable than another's dragon and solves another potential issue 'why only these breeds stay locked-gray for me and I never saw these dragons?'

Edited by camelia2
Unlocking eluded me

But if they have no holidays they won't see the dragons in the encyclopaedia anyway - they will not be unlocked. So they couldn't see that information.

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But if they have no holidays they won't see the dragons in the encyclopaedia anyway - they will not be unlocked. So they couldn't see that information.

I'm pretty sure the encyclopaedia page unlocks from adult views alone? In which case they absolutely could see it. Am I misremembering how it works?

For the record, I like this idea.

I'm not sure how much it would help, but I'd be okay with some kind of warning. I think it would be better for the warning to be incorporated into the dragon description (if we were to have it) since not everyone can or will unlock the encyclopedia or even knows it exists.  I just checked and I don't have Eradors unlocked. If I were new, having a note about limited availability wouldn't help if I can't even see the breed. Many new players might not even know the breed names or where to go looking for the dragons to unlock adults. 

I do want to note that generic dragon descriptions for Christmas seem to imply  limited availability though in the encyclopedia anyway. They are all (Holiday 2xxx) and have this description: Holiday dragons are a very mysterious breed. They are only seen during winter, and even then it is hard to catch a glimpse of one. They are responsible for the general cheer that spreads during the holidays. In essence, they are the “Spirits of Winter.”

Personally, I think there should be a generic as well as a breed-specific description for all the holiday breeds, just like there is for Pygmies, 2-Headeds and Drakes (so Pumpkins would even have the Pygmy AND the Halloween blurb on their page). Like this, the information could be narratively included right there without any unlocks required.

1 hour ago, Jazeki said:

I'm not sure how much it would help, but I'd be okay with some kind of warning. I think it would be better for the warning to be incorporated into the dragon description (if we were to have it) since not everyone can or will unlock the encyclopedia or even knows it exists.  I just checked and I don't have Eradors unlocked. If I were new, having a note about limited availability wouldn't help if I can't even see the breed. Many new players might not even know the breed names or where to go looking for the dragons to unlock adults. 

Thanks Jaz - that was what I thought. And as you say - new people who aren't aware of the encyclopaedia won't see it anyway. In the description would work - a line in all holiday breeds saying "Can only be acquired in its season" or something.

5 hours ago, Jazeki said:

I do want to note that generic dragon descriptions for Christmas seem to imply  limited availability though in the encyclopedia anyway. They are all (Holiday 2xxx) and have this description: Holiday dragons are a very mysterious breed. They are only seen during winter, and even then it is hard to catch a glimpse of one. They are responsible for the general cheer that spreads during the holidays. In essence, they are the “Spirits of Winter.”

Garlands and everything released after them have specific descriptions that mention their actual breed name now, I think, so that's no longer helpful.

49 minutes ago, Keileon said:

Garlands and everything released after them have specific descriptions that mention their actual breed name now, I think, so that's no longer helpful.

Garlands, Starsingers, and Wintertides all have mention of winter/holiday in their descriptions. Not saying that's *enough*, but it is there. 

I'm not sure the encyclopedia would be the best place to put this sort of thing (many newbies don't even realize the encyclopedia exists!), but I do agree with the idea. Especially with the more ambiguous breeds that aren't very obviously holidays.

OR - a note at the top of the Hub: Please remember that holiday dragons are not available out of their season."

I agree, there needs to be some sort of notice for new players that they can't trade for Holidays outside of their specific time of year. Think about how discouraging that must be to offer something "cool" for a Valentine '09 and wonder why no one offers on your trade. I also see people wanting to trade for things they can never get like a black Sweetling for example. So I'm in favor of some sort of notice for new players, whether it's on the actual dragon's page, encyclopedia, or the trading hub, or even all 3 places, just so they will know it's only available at certain times, or it's simply scroll related & only certain people have it thanks to a glitch.

Not a bad idea, provided players are made aware of the encyclopedia. Personally though, I think players would be more likely to notice if there was an actual section in the encyclopedia dedicated to each holiday.

For example:

Valentine's Day Dragons

These dragons can only be found in the wild or by breeding during the week of Valentine's Day.

*pictures/links to all Valentine breeds*

9 hours ago, kiramaru7 said:

I also see people wanting to trade for things they can never get like a black Sweetling

I have to say that since the change a couple of years back, there are long standing players who still ask about the black sweetling thing....

If the concern is for new users who haven't been playing long, this information probably won't be super helpful if it's on a page that needs to be unlocked, rather than a page that's always available. If we need an explanation of how time-sensitive breeds work, it'd probably be better in the "Help" section.

Reading all the replies I realise the unlocking part eluded me (although I think if you view 15 adults it will unlock, otherwise how newbie know the name?)

Anyway I'm now in favour of adding this notice on the dragon description and/or in a special 'chapter' of the Encyclopedia along with 'elements' and 'magic' it reads 'holidays', lists all holiday species by holiday name and maybe some lore.

I hold onto the Encyclopedia part as it is very easy to find and the place you'd expect to find relevant info, more accesable than another's dragon and solves another potential issue 'why only these breeds stay locked-gray for me and I never saw these dragons?'

On 7/29/2020 at 12:14 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

OR - a note at the top of the Hub: Please remember that holiday dragons are not available out of their season."

If it'd be to add it on trade hub it would only be fair to remind people that CB prize/alts/hybrids can't be obtained either, that SAkin start from 2G and so do prizes, that you can't trade a Fool mint etc. All not-so-basic stuff that a newbie needs but also creating a precedent. 

I'm against it being on the hub. (Not to mention that hub has bigger problems like unclear and vague rules that you get banned for without knowing they exist)

1 hour ago, camelia2 said:

If it'd be to add it on trade hub it would only be fair to remind people that CB prize/alts/hybrids can't be obtained either, that SAkin start from 2G and so do prizes, that you can't trade a Fool mint etc. All not-so-basic stuff that a newbie needs but also creating a precedent. 

If the idea is to offer a guide/explain all of these things, I agree that they should probably be on the help page. The dragon limits page does seem to mention holidays as limited edition: https://dragcave.net/help/limits

2 hours ago, camelia2 said:

Reading all the replies I realise the unlocking part eluded me (although I think if you view 15 adults it will unlock, otherwise how newbie know the name?)

Yes, 15 dragons, but you can learn a species name by viewing one given it's in the adult description.

The encyclopedia is not obvious, older members still occasionally post in help asking when it started and why their old dragons dont count. People that dont bother clicking on everything to see what's about often miss it.

Maybe add it to the warning page for when you go to make a public trade?

12 hours ago, camelia2 said:

Yes, 15. However, with exception of several christmas dragons, most holiday dragons (halloweens and valentines, plus a few Holiday breeds) actually have their breed name on their adults' view page WITHOUT unlocking anything.

12 hours ago, camelia2 said:

I hold onto the Encyclopedia part as it is very easy to find and the place you'd expect to find relevant info, more accesable than another's dragon

I would suspect that accessing ONE dragon of another player would be easier than finding FIFTEEN individuals of the same sort on other players' scrolls.

4 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Yes, 15. However, with exception of several christmas dragons, most holiday dragons (halloweens and valentines, plus a few Holiday breeds) actually have their breed name on their adults' view page WITHOUT unlocking anything.

I would suspect that accessing ONE dragon of another player would be easier than finding FIFTEEN individuals of the same sort on other players' scrolls.

This, very much. To be honest, I suspect that anything in the way of a message would make almost no difference. It's sheer chance where people look, and the number of people who simply don't read messages that are there anyway.... One of my students actually asked me once, when I said all that info they had just asked for was under "help" on their scroll:  "but where is the link to help."

Um: 

image.png.8d2b6f75c83360c844c28ab1b9c4b251.png

People don't SEE.

16 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

People don't SEE.

Counter-point: They definitely don't see if the information isn't actually visible anywhere. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, please.

But we can discuss various types of "good". And I just don't think that requiring an unlock would help getting the point across that some breeds are currently not available.

1 minute ago, Ruby Eyes said:

But we can discuss various types of "good". And I just don't think that requiring an unlock would help getting the point across that some breeds are currently not available.

Exactly. That's not the only issue with having the info only connected to the encyclopedia, either. The encyclopedia in general just isn't a great place to put important info like this, especially if the goal is to help *newbies*. Not until the Encyclopedia is more visible and easier to access. 

It just doesn't make sense. I've said it in other threads, hiding 'tips' or 'hints' or 'warnings' behind unlocks just isn't going to help newbies (and I'm kinda surprised anyone thinks it would). Again I'm not sure where this information *would* be best, the Hub itself is a good idea but that's only useful to actual traders and wouldn't help newbies who simply aren't aware in general that some breeds are limited to specific holidays.

Exactly, ruby. You could put a link on every single page saying HOLIDAY DRAGONS ARE ONLY AVAILABLE IN SEASON and you'd still get...

The encyclopedia certainly won't cut it.

38 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Exactly. That's not the only issue with having the info only connected to the encyclopedia, either. The encyclopedia in general just isn't a great place to put important info like this, especially if the goal is to help *newbies*. Not until the Encyclopedia is more visible and easier to access. 

It just doesn't make sense. I've said it in other threads, hiding 'tips' or 'hints' or 'warnings' behind unlocks just isn't going to help newbies (and I'm kinda surprised anyone thinks it would). Again I'm not sure where this information *would* be best, the Hub itself is a good idea but that's only useful to actual traders and wouldn't help newbies who simply aren't aware in general that some breeds are limited to specific holidays.

QFT. A lot of newbies (or casual players in general) aren't aware of this....or they're not even familiar with how normal breeds work yet. There's a few trades right now asking for yellow Pargulus eggs. They probably mean green. 

(Actually I've been calling them yellow, based on the S1 hatchies....)

But they probably also don't know that if they have said "lineaged is OK" they can't tell till the egg hatches.