rabbithaver

We Need New Drop Mechanics. It's Just A Fact.

I think this is the perfect time to bump this thread again because with yet another numerous new release, 3 eggs per biome is nowhere near sufficient. At the very least, we need a second row to account for the amount of breeds that we now have in the cave - because its becoming tedious to hunt even for specific commons, and I'm not even going to talk about uncommons/rares.

Support here as well, especially if the drop periods are going to end so soon after they begin, having more eggs to hunt through might take a moment longer, but there’s just that much more of a chance of a good egg appearing.

Support. I literally breed all my uncommons on a semiregular basis and drop the eggs into the abandoned cave for other players because I've seen how difficult it is to find caveborns, the site mechanic probably shouldn't rely on people like me doing this. I am not sure I have anything anyone considers a "rare" and my account was made in 2008, with a few hiatuses. 

Edited by Laskuraska

Support. While I personally didn't have an issue with the length of the drop, with each new dragon the spawn rate of any particular even common dragon gets worse and this has been going on a long time. I personally like the idea of having two of each biome, but regardless, it's about time for some kind of update

While I'm not sure how the drops should be adjusted, support. It's strange not seeing mint eggs so often (to the point I recall seeing more red zyu drops?).

Support. As you already said it is kind of a pain to find specific dragons now which definitely would be helped with more eggs in each biome. 

Edited by Alixiron

Throwing my support in for this too. If I'm not at a drop the minute it starts or within at least the first 4-5 hours, I can almost promise I wont see that breed for months.

Bumping this thread again to show my support. I have seen one of the newly released breeds since they dropped. One. 

My support too.  These eggs were just released, and I feel I should at least have a chance of catching some of them.  Right now I've bought 2 at the market, traded for others, and am still 2 short of having my first complete set.  This has become more stressful than it is fun.

I think I tend to support this idea. :iraptor: A mechanic that helps people easier to get what they want would be great.

Support. Dunno if I'd prefer more eggs in each biome or more biomes for the eggs, they both have their pros and cons and I don't think I have a preference between the two (maybe both would be great, I get really bored hunting these days).

But it does bring up a question for me -- please please don't take this as rude, it is just legitimate curiosity.

Why is the spriter's permission so important in regard to changing biomes? Don't get me wrong -- if they're still active then sure, run it by them to make sure it's cool (though not sure why it should be them rather than the concept creator but that's a different beast). But plenty of changes have been made to dragons with inactive spriters -- the original creation of biomes seems most relevant and was mentioned earlier, I believe. But even more important things like mechanics have been changed from the original intent (I think anyway, my memory is garbage).

But yeah, it seems like it'd be more of a courtesy than a requirement? Again, please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just legitimately curious in case there's some sort of rule or procedure I'm unaware of.

1 hour ago, psyrae said:

Why is the spriter's permission so important in regard to changing biomes?

I didn't even know this had come up as a concern, but now I am also curious. It shouldn't matter to the spriters nearly as much as it does to the concept creators, who would probably be a little upset if you went against their original vision of the dragon without a run by. I'm sure if new biomes were added though only the dragons that made a lot of sense would go into them or their would be new dragons made to release alongside them. I can not personally see this happening though as what we do really need is more egg slots in each for the dragons that are very specific to biomes such as gemshards.

I'm not sure how much of it is actually a concern, I just noticed consulting the artist pop up once or twice and wasn't sure why it was particularly relevant.

11 hours ago, psyrae said:

I'm not sure how much of it is actually a concern, I just noticed consulting the artist pop up once or twice and wasn't sure why it was particularly relevant.

Aside from public DRs, a lot of the time the artists are the concept creators of their own sprites. 

It is typically considered a courtesy to ask all involved with a dragon concept before altering or using it in any capacity - for event art, hybrids, and in this case, yes, it would be prudent to ask about biomes. Even if the artist defaults to the conceptor (which most do in my experience), then the artist may know a way to get ahold of the conceptor if it was a collaboration, or may be able to make the call themselves in the event the collaborator cannot be reached. 

I agree with some others that already posted in this thread - I really don't like the suggestion of adding an extra egg or an extra row of eggs to the biomes. Right now, the setup is perfect for mobile, and adding another row or extra slot will only cram the screen and make it more difficult for folks who play on mobile. 

Do we have any mobile users who were here for the Black Marrow release? Because we had two rows of eggs for that and I remember it helping a lot to allow more people to get them. But I was using a PC.  Using a mobile now, mostly I actually dont see how it would be too cluttered. The single row shows high enough on my screen that the page ends before the bottom of mine. At worst, I think it would just take adjusting to the idea that eggs might appear in more places. 

For eh Black Marrows at least you knew that whichever egg you hit, you'd get the one you were after. No misclicks. In ordinary times you need to be able to see them all clearly - and I think that wouldn't work well on mobile. It certainly isn't great on my small tablet.

I still like the mobile solution, to put the description of the biome *below* the eggs on Mobile so that mobile users see the eggs first. I have to scroll past the description even on mobile sometimes.

I support any new mechanic, and also have a rather weird suggestion:

For only one egg max for each breed to drop in each biome, in each 5-minute drops, unless they are newly released (up to some point).

The result I want from this is: when cave-blocker-common eggs block a biome, we would NOT see the same egg description repeated on page 2~3 times; and if they do, we would know they are not two eggs of the same breed but different breeds sharing the same egg description. We have enough common breeds that the cave can be blocked even without one breed dominating the pickup page, and if there were more variety, the small chance that someone would want those common breeds would rise accordingly.

3 hours ago, lovely0331 said:

I support any new mechanic, and also have a rather weird suggestion:

For only one egg max for each breed to drop in each biome, in each 5-minute drops, unless they are newly released (up to some point).

The result I want from this is: when cave-blocker-common eggs block a biome, we would NOT see the same egg description repeated on page 2~3 times; and if they do, we would know they are not two eggs of the same breed but different breeds sharing the same egg description. We have enough common breeds that the cave can be blocked even without one breed dominating the pickup page, and if there were more variety, the small chance that someone would want those common breeds would rise accordingly.

No. (No to this particular suggestion by lovely0331, I do support new drop methods as a whole!) 

https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Common_dragons

The rarity of some of these dragons have fluctuated over time; after the 2021 birthday release there was a lot of demand for electrics and sapphires, which put them in the uncommon range. Idk if they're still regarded as desirable by people anymore, but the fact stands that these sort of new mechanism changes can shift a dragon's rarity into something more or less valuable. 

There are people who do need a specific type of common dragon for some reason- in my personal case, I needed more furor pygmies after yesterday, when none of my zombie experiments on them were successful, and I needed more of them to fill up the zombie fodders. It would be very, very annoying for me if someone else took the only furor pygmy, leaving me to wait for 5 minutes for the next refresh just bc there was some arbitrary rule that stated there would be only 1 of each breed per refresh. 

I am having enough problems getting zombie fodders as is-the sheer number of different sprites means that I have given up on hatchling zombies for the time being, and am only shooting for adult zombies for now-and some of the sprite types are restricted to one or two different breeds, like the Baikala, Ciriax, Ghanser, etc. The Blancblacks have been a consistent problem for me because they are supposed to be common(uncommon? I'm not sure), but is rather harder to find, and they cost 700 shards, which is comparatively not cheap. I am quite glad that I now have a two headed eastern zombie sprite, but if I had to hunt for 5 more of them, it can get very time consuming. Last time this happened, on May 31st, it took me a week. 

Edited by ylangylang

Since new, unique biomes would pose an issue, how about sub-biomes? i.e. Alpine 1*, Alpine 2, Alpine 3, ...4, ...5, ...6, Forest 1, Forest 2, ...3, and so on. Would leave the main page the same if the relevant extra biomes were linked on each biome page. From a player perspective you could visit the current Alpine biome, see the usual text about nearby eggs and the 3 eggs themselves, and then read another bit of text asking if you'd like to explore deeper with links to the relevant sub-biomes. Clicking on... Alpine 4... and you'd see a page with a different set of 3 Alpine eggs, same page layout except for a link back to the Alpine page.

*Or use compass directions. Either way it avoids describing new terrain and doesn't change much about the site.

After writing this I saw that this idea was brought up on page 3, but there wasn't much discussion. Any critiques on non-unique, extra biomes?

I was late to the July dragon release, and since I've found two. I've seen others, but was unable to grab them, and I swear I haven't seen a single False-Headed Hydra since a week after the release. I am not the most active user, admittedly, but this is still frustrating.

ETA: Also the Zyumorph dragons, I have rarely seen a single one in the biomes at all. If we can't get a better drop rate or method, I would also accept adding these eggs to the Marketplace. They're the only ones not in there, I see that even the False-Headed got in there (though I need to find the eggs for most of them before I can buy them...)

Edited by silver_tiger

On 7/22/2022 at 2:55 AM, DragonLady86 said:

Do we have any mobile users who were here for the Black Marrow release? Because we had two rows of eggs for that and I remember it helping a lot to allow more people to get them. But I was using a PC.  Using a mobile now, mostly I actually dont see how it would be too cluttered. The single row shows high enough on my screen that the page ends before the bottom of mine. At worst, I think it would just take adjusting to the idea that eggs might appear in more places. 

While I could see where you're coming from with this, it wouldn't be an accurate comparison.

Black marrow release was October 2010.

The first iphone came out in I think it was 2007, and by 2010 we were only up to the iphone 4, which still had a 3.5 in screen. (that's about 5x7.5 cm or 2x3 inches)

2010 would have actually been one of the first releases I did on mobile (Not particularly successfully, as I didn't get a marrow til the next year) and I did that on an HTC Magic (3.2 inch screen). This was one of the first smartphones, the second ever android phone, and I was only the second person I knew to have a smartphone.

For comparison... The Galaxy S22 is 2.8 x 5.7 inches (6.1 in diagonal) and the iPhone 14 is meant to be about the same. Someone using a mobile in 2022 likely has a screen as wide as ours were tall in 2010. Trust me, two rows would fit fine.

I was inactive from the game for a few months i think the last update i was properly here for was the pink sapphire update n such, and the xenowyrms but ive tried getting back into the game now and i quite litterally cannot find any eggs from the events ive missed unless i do the following:

. watch the eggs like a hawk for 5 minutes each time (even then it doesnt matter due to comp/net speeds)

. stay up all night in hopes of less people being online 

. grab lots of fodder eggs in hope of the eggs i want spawning after them

only then i was finally able to grab some of the dnd dragons but god forbid i try and find rares/xenos/metals 

its very frustrating and very hardto stay invested in this game due to it honestly so i hope we get a change but i know how set in its ways this community tends to be..