Astreya

Brexit Revisited

Brexit Revisited  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Exactly 4 years after the Brexit referendum, how is your opinion on the UK's exit from the EU today?

(I was curious, but the original Brexit topic was closed about three or so years ago)

- With Mr.Johnson now at the helm of the UK and his absolutely unelected grey eminence Mr.Cummings pulling the strings, how do the people who formerly complained about "unelected Brussels bureaucrats" feel now?

- Are you content with the direction Mr.Cummings steers the UK to and how he is protected by the PM despite his actions?

- Are you content with the way Mr.Cu- err, Johnson handles the Covid-19 crisis?

- How do you think the UK will manage to set up good trade deals? (Remember the "easiest trade deals in human history"?) Do you have an idea how well the trade negotiations of the UK have proceeded so far and are you content with it?

- Did you read the layout of the negotiating objectives of the US for a UK-US trade deal and how do you feel about their impairing of the UK's sovereignty?

Food for thought ^^

Cummings - words fail me.

As do the US requirements for a trade deal - but it was pretty much expected. We get to sell you anything we like or no deal. Yo do what we say, or no deal. We will get you every which way just like we did with the arrest warrant.

Sub text - and we will do anyway, even if there is no deal.

I think it was a really bad idea, especially for the UK. However, it's good for the rest of us (EU27) that the UK have to face the covid-19 music on their own, considering how awfully they've messed up with that.

I also think that the Brexit is a train wreck happening in slow motion, and the only person able to stop it (Johnson) accelerates to create the biggest impact possible instead of doing the 180 he should do, all things considered. However, the people of the UK are free people, and free to leave. They voted for this, and for their leader.

It's good for the rest of the EU to be rid of us; we have never been anything but a PIA, and the clause allowing countries to leave was only put in because the UK demanded it. We have always been an unwilling participant, wanting the cake without the washing up, and having an unwarranted sense of superiority, Yes you are well rid of us - and it breaks my heart.

My main peeve at the UK leaving the EU is that it weakens the EU considerably, which is a bad thing considering how the other big powers (Russia, China, US) behave nowadays. Against the autocrats ruling the other big powers, a strong EU is absolutely crucial, and I really hope that the EU27 countries manage to get their act together.

(By the way, this amused me to no avail, too: 'We've bought the wrong satellites': UK tech gamble baffles experts - for those who wonder - after Brexit, the UK as a third party can't take part in the Galileo project any more. But this fact was not a machination of the EU27 as punishment for Brexit - it was a demand the UK made when they were still a part of the Galileo project - they didn't want any third parties in it to use the military features, so this was written into all the Galileo contracts and treaties on the UK's insistence. XD)

Edited by Astreya

19 minutes ago, Astreya said:

after Brexit, the UK as a third party can't take part in the Galileo project any more. But this fact was not a machination of the EU27 as punishment for Brexit - it was a demand the UK made when they were still a part of the Galileo project - they didn't want any third parties in it to use the military features, so this was written into all the Galileo contracts and treaties on the UK's insistence. XD)

As the saying goes: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Although this very much crosses into "play female dog games" territory.

By the way, I found a pretty good analogy for Brexit here:

... Farage, Gove and Cummings go into a pub and each asks for a pint.

The barman pulls three pints and throws it into their faces.

“Why did you do that?” Nigel asks.

“'You asked for a pint,” the barman says, “but you didn't say how you wanted it delivered.”

Gove replies,

“Okay, I’ll have a pint in a pint glass”

“No. You can't ask again,” the barman says.

“Why not?” Cummings asks.

“Democracy,” the barman replies ...

That's so funny I shall curl up and CRY :(

I HATE BREXIT.