cafuneandchill

Does DragCave API have a request for breed info?

I want to know whether DragCave API has an option to request info about a specific breed, such as its description, elemental affinity et cetera. If it doesn't, is there a possibility of that being made?

What would you want it for anyway ?

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I can think of several reasons that kind of information could be useful:

- to be able to help building lineages ("which avatar will these dragons produce")

- to know whether the egg is stubborn to hatch (prizes, zyumorphs, ...) and thus might be prone to sickness when incubated, allowing it to be put on a different rotation in the hatchery

- to know whether the egg can hatch at all or will just get sick from additional views (sunrise/sunset), allowing it to be put on a different rotation in the hatchery

- for accessibility reasons like putting the dragon species name next to the dragon's image

Probably other use-cases I haven't thought of.

(Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not saying I expect there to be an API like this. I'm literally only answering your question. :P If there was an API like this it would presumably have to be tied to the OAuth authentication, so the site knows whether the fansite user already has the encyclopaedia unlocks necessary to determine species, otherwise the fansite would just (likely unintentionally) bypass that site feature.)

Edited by pinkgothic

3 hours ago, pinkgothic said:

- to know whether the egg is stubborn to hatch (prizes, zyumorphs, ...) and thus might be prone to sickness when incubated, allowing it to be put on a different rotation in the hatchery

- to know whether the egg can hatch at all or will just get sick from additional views (sunrise/sunset), allowing it to be put on a different rotation in the hatchery

I've thought about adding breed info multiple times (and it'll likely happen at some point), but these two things in particular are things I don't want to see hatcheries doing. It is for the same reason that sickness information is not provided via the API (and why sites were banned from using the API in the past): third-party sites shouldn't be obviating the need to raise your eggs yourself.

10 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Well, I thought about whether it's possible to make an encyclopedia program (either web-based or working locally), which would have features like searching breeds by their elemental affinity or regions where their eggs can be found. Maybe it would have some graphs; for example, a pie chart that shows the ratio of region-specific breeds or something like that.

Also, in conjunction with the DragCave's OAuth authentication, it could be used to track the progress of a user on filling the Dragon Encyclopedia tied to their scroll. That could be useful for users who raise their dragons to get more lore info on them (like a research of some kind).

Edited by cafuneandchill
Added the second paragraph

I would like it for easier lineage checking. Like, to check which breeds are present in a given dragon's lineage, and if I give my (imaginary) tool a 2nd dragon, it could compare to see if they're matching or not (or if there's an impersonator in the shape of a different breed hiding somewhere)

I got linked to this thread, so sorry if I'm not supposed to answer an older topic (couldn't see any rules against it but I could've missed'm).

Personally, I'd love to have the breed available, as I'm in the process of writing myself a lair-and-lineage organiser.  Currently it looks like I'll have to go through and set breeds manually somehow.  Which I can do, but it's also just kind of a pain! One writes tools so you can STOP doing painful, error-prone manual tasks!

I don't have an opinion either way re: TJ's worries about fansites using breeds to sort hatcheries, but I'd be fine if it was only adult dragons that had their breed come back through the API.  That might be a good compromise?