brickman1444

Waterhorse Should Be Available As a Hybrid

Hybrid's are one of my favorite mechanics in the game. So far there are only 16 hybrids possible.

I am proposing that in addition to being available as caveborn egg, Waterhorse should be available as a hybrid, specifically a hybrid of Water Dragon and Horse Dragon.

Water_male.gif + Horse_female.png = Waterhorse_male.gif

This would offer another hybrid option for players like me who like to breed for hybrids. The name already makes complete sense. The body shapes are close enough that the hybrid makes sense. This change also wouldn't require creating a new dragon.

As a possible downside, Water Dragons and Horse Dragons both already have the possibility of breeding hybrids (Shallow Water Dragons and Hellhorse Dragons), so this change could concentrate too much hybrid potential into a these breeds.

Mmm, I don't think so, honestly-- hybrids are made taking both parent breeds into consideration, beyond just how the dragon looks. I want more hybrids too, but I'm not sure that making existing dragons into hybrids is the answer.

I agree, making existing breeds (that already have their own lore, description, *cavebred* ability, etc) into hybrids isn't the best way to go. We got two (two!) new hybrids in this last release, I'm hoping that is a sign that maybe we will get them more often in the future. I'm always interested in good hybrid concepts, but imo hybrids need to be made as hybrids, so that their lore/sprite/etc reflects that, not just suddenly try to fit an older existing breed into the hybrid mechanic.

As much as I love hybrids, I'd have to agree with the others. I dont think trying to shoehorn existing breeds into being hybrids is the best idea. I really really hope we get more hybrids, dont get me wrong, but not like that. Sorry. 

I love hybrids as well, but making an already-in-cave dragon into a hybrid is a recipe for disaster. On a different note, I also think dragons currently lacking hybrids should probably be prioritized over those with hybrids. Particularly the two in question have 3 between them (Shallow Waters, Blunas, and Hellhorses.) I would prefer if waterhorses stayed the way they are now since making a currently common dragon only available through Hybrids would inevitably cause many, many issues.

Making them avvailable as hybrids would be cool *only* if they were *also* still catchable in the cave.

Kind of like you can breed Pinks from Arias *and* find them in the cave.

(yes I know Pinks aren't hybrids yadda yadda)

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Did you even ask the artist(s) involved if it was okay to change how their creation works? Because that should be the first thing done when proposing a change to an existing dragon. Definitely should be done BEFORE making a suggestion topic. 

If you want more hybrids, why not create new dragons that are rather than changing old ones.

I don't really understand the logic here as waterhorses are their own breed, but I wouldn't mind if this happened. It probably won't, though. 

I also suggest that if you really want a new hybrid, you ask for permission from the artists and then get to work on your own suggestion in dragon requests. It's better than deciding that an existing breed should be a hybrid 11 years after its creation. 

11 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Making them avvailable as hybrids would be cool *only* if they were *also* still catchable in the cave.

Kind of like you can breed Pinks from Arias *and* find them in the cave.

(yes I know Pinks aren't hybrids yadda yadda)

So much this. Or we'll get someone to propose that Yulebucks should be a holly x striped hybrid - and disable CB yulebucks upon implementation. (Not that I'm in favor of that, not at all!)

Personally, I'd also be open to more options for hybrids. For example, since both deep seas and waters can be bred with a skywing to create a bluna, why not go the same route with shallow waters? (Just to name one example.)

On 6/19/2020 at 7:49 PM, Jazeki said:

I don't really understand the logic here as waterhorses are their own breed

The logic is mostly about the name, I suppose: Water + Horse = Waterhorse

Also agreeing with the rest. CB hybrids only belong to TJ and a few Honorable Mentions winners back during the original raffles, and TJ has said he regretted even making CB hybrids for players a thing. This would go against that if we could still obtain CB ones in the biomes.

More hybrids would be nice, but twisting a normal breed into becoming one isn't the way to go about it. Sorry.

Given that the primary reasoning for this seems to be water + horse = waterhorse, and doesn't take into account the lore for any of the three breeds involved or the aesthetics of the proposed hybrid, I can't support this. Just looking at the proposed parent breeds, they don't look like they'd produce offspring that looks like the waterhorse. 

Coincidental naming shouldn't be used as the basis for creating hybrids, not to mention what everyone else has said about making an existing CB dragon into a hybrid.

I see no reason for this...other than explaining why the dragon is named what it is.

Plus, as others have said, a change like this would require the artist(s) input. Not to mention there's other things to look at (like what happens to CBs?). Sorry, but I just dont see a point to changing it

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I've learned a lot, especially about how important the artists' permission is.