KingDarkstalker

User Scroll Description

I think it would be totally possible and cool to add a feature where users can add a description on their scroll; somewhere under highlighted groups, badges, and stats. For example, if someone mainly collects dragons, they can write in their description, 'I am a dragon collector.' I think it would bring some personality out and let users get to know each other better.

I'm not sure if I'd use such a feature, but there are definitely users who would. There would have to be some guidelines/rules, of course (what exactly is acceptable in the scroll description?). I'm not really sure why a simple 'I'm a dragon collector' would be helpful or needed at all though. We are all dragon collectors, that's what the game is. There are a very small number of 'joke breeds' that aren't dragons, like Dinos and Chickens, but they are very much a small exception. I do think scroll descriptions that are more user-specific might be nice though. 

Recent similar thread:

This would be useful for people who have a different forum name from the scroll name, too, as then they don't need to use dragons to write an  explanation how to contact them on the forum.

Supported-- a lot of people create dragon groups in order to give out contact info and preferences for trading for those not on the forums, and just having a dedicated page would make it way easier to put out your relevant information. While I'm not advocating for direct communication on-site, I really would like to see info from other users on DC, because most players don't have a forum account.

Support! Would it have to be approved first because.... uh yeah. There is a LOT of players. If it worked like forum signatures then, sure!

This is a good idea. I do have Welcome and various hatchlings named to explain some of my scroll ideas but it would be fun to have a place to outline the backstory of my various dragon communities.

I had been thinking about this and wondered what would pop up if I'd search, and lo and behold.

Adding support. Aside from lore which happens to be a big reason, I'd also like the freedom to detail basic player information like "I can breed on request" or "I hoard/collect xyz and have a preference for those in trading".

Also, before someone mentions it: I'm aware one can argue that naming and freezing hatchlings and/or creating highlighted groups (which is what I do now) is enough of a makeshift way to store and display this information but... really, I'd just prefer a neater and more official way.

Support this! I’d love to be able to slap my contact info on there, and maybe a little signature type note!

Personally I’d hope it wouldn’t have to be approved bc of how long descriptions already are, so maybe a report system would work better

On 6/16/2020 at 1:00 AM, Astreya said:

This would be useful for people who have a different forum name from the scroll name, too, as then they don't need to use dragons to write an  explanation how to contact them on the forum.

On 1/8/2021 at 4:47 PM, soullessheartofsteel said:

Supported-- a lot of people create dragon groups in order to give out contact info and preferences for trading for those not on the forums, and just having a dedicated page would make it way easier to put out your relevant information. While I'm not advocating for direct communication on-site, I really would like to see info from other users on DC, because most players don't have a forum account.

Adding support for this idea! I'm one of those players whose scroll name is different from my forum name. In addition, my forum name unfortunately has a special character in it that cannot be used in any dragon names. (I'd love it if it didn't, but unfortunately someone who never commented or posted in the forum took the name missy.) I have to jump through hoops to try and get my contact info out there. Anything that would make it easier is appreciated!

I've got no feelings on this one way or the other, myself, but I can see the use for this.  One reason the dragon descriptions need a vetting process is to make sure you don't have something like "my white dragon is an omnicidal maniac who murders all the other dragons" or "my dragon races airplanes" which would violate the breed and setting guidelines.  If a user description was limited to "only contact information and breed preferences" then it might be able to get by with just a report feature?  But if people want to use it to describe then you might run into the issue of setting guideline violations (referencing technology that would be too "modern" for the setting).

Maybe more limited--simply a contact information form?  You could list your forum name, and maybe a few other social media sites?  Like how on the Forum you can list your DC username, your own website, your Skype, and/or your Discord.  Maybe a checklist for breeds you're most interested in, and the ability to specify CB or not?  It'd be less helpful if you're looking for specific lineages but then you could direct them to your forum profile where you have more of that info listed...

It'd still need a content filter for people who have inappropriate usernames (and that's on users if they named themselves something inappropriate elsewhere), but if it was more limited like that it would avoid the issues of running into settings violations in a description...

20 minutes ago, KageSora said:

I've got no feelings on this one way or the other, myself, but I can see the use for this.  One reason the dragon descriptions need a vetting process is to make sure you don't have something like "my white dragon is an omnicidal maniac who murders all the other dragons" or "my dragon races airplanes" which would violate the breed and setting guidelines.  If a user description was limited to "only contact information and breed preferences" then it might be able to get by with just a report feature?  But if people want to use it to describe then you might run into the issue of setting guideline violations (referencing technology that would be too "modern" for the setting).

23 minutes ago, KageSora said:

Maybe more limited--simply a contact information form?  You could list your forum name, and maybe a few other social media sites?  Like how on the Forum you can list your DC username, your own website, your Skype, and/or your Discord.  Maybe a checklist for breeds you're most interested in, and the ability to specify CB or not?  It'd be less helpful if you're looking for specific lineages but then you could direct them to your forum profile where you have more of that info listed..

This is a good point. I could support making it for contact information and breed preferences only, to keep it from needing to be moderated the same way dragon descriptions are.

Support. Currently people need to improvise and name dragons for these info, which is neat in its own way, but I do think it's gonna be nice with some additions.