camelia2

Add search when breeding

When you want to breed a dragon you have no way to search for a name/breed/G for a mate. You have to scroll manually through all to find your desired mate.

Now I have well over 3.000 dergs and say about 1000 posible mates for a dragon...scrolling through them is a pain, especially on mobile. Not to mention that I keep my scroll on breed order JUST so I could know where a mate would be, keeping the desired age sort makes it imposible to know where a mate is.

Fix: Add the search bar, same like when you add dragon to a group, to breeding :)

edit: definitely keep them click-able!

Edited by camelia2

You can run with "find in page" for a name. (I have almost 9k dergs and it is doable.)

This topic has come up before and while there are workarounds, as Fuzz has pointed out, I do agree that some change would be appreciated.

I would like it. At >11k individual dragons, which means plenty of available mates each time, this would really help narrowing down the search window.

Just today I was looking for Mints which are in various groupings all over my scroll, plus some yet-unsorted individuals ...

The search result would still need to keep the dragons clickable, though, so I can check their view/lineage to make sure I pick a suitable one.

Support, plus support for Ruby Eyes' addition. My dragon's names aren't super distinctive, so the ctrl+f strategy doesn't work as well when I have two dragons with similar names.

I support this suggestion. I used control +f now, but it doesn't mean anything if I can't remember a specific name or breed. I also would like results to be clickable, as per @RubyEyes's post. 

Similar things have been suggested before and I support this 100%! Like Ruby, I have 11K+ dragons and even though they are pretty much arranged by breed sort it can still be difficult to find what I am looking for.

Agree that however the search works it must, unlike fertility, allow clicking on the dragons to check lineages before breeding.

The search in page can't help when I only know what breed the mate shall be and no idea of the name.

The only hope is either scrolling through the breed-sorted hoard or the search bar

Putting the breed name in the fertility box brings up the dragons of that breed (as well as any sharing the name - as in Monarch will also bring up any dragons called Monarch) but it's pretty good - and that filter could be added for breeding ?

9 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Putting the breed name in the fertility box brings up the dragons of that breed (as well as any sharing the name - as in Monarch will also bring up any dragons called Monarch) but it's pretty good - and that filter could be added for breeding ?

But...the dragons in that list are not clickable. You wouldn't be able to check a lineage before breeding. Not ideal.

I'm pretty sure the result listing could be adjusted as needed, to allow links instead of the selection mechanism used by the Fertility page.

I support this 100%, I don't have thousands of dragons but even I get bored of scrolling to find the right one

i would love to have that filterable list widget on the breeding page as well. Particularly for, like, the tag filters. It'd be so nice to be able to pull up only the #cb dragons from my scroll when i'm looking for new mates.

Aha! I knew I made a thread for this at some point!

Wholehearted support, would take the strain off those with slow internet or whatever struggling to load thousands of images at once.

On 6/16/2020 at 5:39 PM, Ruby Eyes said:

The search result would still need to keep the dragons clickable, though, so I can check their view/lineage to make sure I pick a suitable one.

This is where I stand on this too. I originally thought it was odd that we had a particular interface for fertility which allowed us to search using names or breed name and wondered why the same wasn't the case for the breeding page. Then I remembered however just how much I use the fact the breed page allows us to click on the mate to confirm lineage in a new tab before going ahead.

So something like the fertility page but once filtered to still allow us to click the dragon to open its view page (a la the current breeding page) would be perfect in my opinion.

A couple of thoughts:

- I think I saw a suggestion, somewhere, that said it would be nice to apply filters before even viewing the list of options.  That would mean that your computer wouldn't ever need to load all the dragons that weren't black marrows, weren't already-established mates, weren't CB, whatever.  That sounds nice.

- One thing that I don't like about the fertility page is that it feels cluttered and cramped because of the ever-present header with the big picture of the purple dragon.  If we get a similar display for an action as basic as breeding, I'd like to see a less-intrusive header: for example, maybe the dragon's image could be shrunk and put on the same line with the title, instead of standing above it in solitary splendor.

I made a mockup to see how it would look (using the fertility screen as a model), and it doesn't feel quite as impressive, but for some reason, displaying 9 instead of 7 dragons really makes the list of dragons feel more expansive to me.

Spoiler

fertility-screen-normal.png.4191155499f21a37d6cd8baa7e4bae76.png->fertility-screen-proposed.png.f228705e30d96f5aa59d8874cc8fb976.png

Actually, I suppose since you don't need password confirmation to breed dragons, the password field could disappear.  That's probably good for another dragon or two, also.

But I would like any update to the breeding page to show at least a few more dragons at a time than the current fertility page does.

Edited by Pilauli
tweaked wording...

21 hours ago, Pilauli said:

I made a mockup to see how it would look (using the fertility screen as a model), and it doesn't feel quite as impressive, but for some reason, displaying 9 instead of 7 dragons really makes the list of dragons feel more expansive to me.

that mockup looks great!! i agree with what everyone else said here. im always such a supporter of this, especially doing stuff on mobile since you cant control + f on there to search! something like that listing, with the search function and being able to click on lineages to see, would do WONDERS! 

On 9/28/2020 at 8:22 PM, Pilauli said:

- I think I saw a suggestion, somewhere, that said it would be nice to apply filters before even viewing the list of options.  That would mean that your computer wouldn't ever need to load all the dragons that weren't black marrows, weren't already-established mates, weren't CB, whatever.  That sounds nice.

Breeding on mobile is especially a nightmare. This would be fantastic.

Yes please. You can always use ctrl f, but a search box like for bsas would be insanely helpful