Sign in to follow this  
Nightlark

"Proxy" Message Issue

For the past week, I have seen the following message at the top of https://dragcave.net :

You appear to be using a proxy. While this won’t stop you from visiting Dragon Cave, you cannot give views and clicks to eggs/hatchlings.

Thing is, I am NOT using a proxy, and none of my security settings are allowed to touch this site, and I double checked to make sure nothing there had changed and it hasn't, so why am I getting this message? I am only posting here because I can't seem to find and answer to this question anywhere else. I have never gotten this message in the time I have used this site. I have never used a Proxy, never had a reason to, so why this all of a sudden?

Posted (edited)

It happens:

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Mine eventually went away and never returned but I still have no idea what caused it to this day... 😕

Interesting... well by way of information, I have found that that message is showing up for me on most of my devices that use the internet through my DSL, the carrier is Century Link, but it does not show up with my phone browser, which I use on the data network (not the wifi through my DSL modem), so I am thinking it is something to do with Century Link maybe?

It seemed to be that, last time...

A little update, the message appears to have VANISHED, no additional action on my part to credit, no goodbye, no notification from anything or anyone, it is just... gone. Oh well, someday we might figure it out... maybe.

Mine came back like four times, completely random on when it would vanish and return, for about a month before it was gone for good. 😕

The common factor does seem to be Century Link...

On 6/6/2020 at 10:11 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

The common factor does seem to be Century Link...

Okay captain obvious, but the one thing you are missing here is that CenturyLink was there BEFORE all of this started, it has been there for years, and this is the first time I have seen this message on my screen.

I have, just today, done a proxy test on my IP address and it is NOT a Proxy, so what has happened that all of a sudden dragcave.net thinks it is a proxy? While we have determined on my end dragcave is having an issue with Century Link, that could just as likely mean that something changed in the cave, not Century Link, and seeing that my IP is showing that it is not a Proxy, it tells me that the only thing left to check is how dragcave.net detects a proxy in the first place, with the likelyhood that whatever it uses to detect it may very well be labeling it wrong.

They may have changed something yes - but as TJ said in the other thread:

And fateweaver and I ran a test at the time; it isn't their account, I assure you. (And you could ask @TJ09 to run a check - as you see, he found fateweaver's IP showing MULTIPLE proxies.... and their machine said not.)

9 hours ago, Nightlark said:

Okay captain obvious, but the one thing you are missing here is that CenturyLink was there BEFORE all of this started, it has been there for years, and this is the first time I have seen this message on my screen.

ISPs change things all the time - "The Internet" is not a static thing, and neither are the routes through it. Which is why sometimes you see that message and sometimes you don't, but others do instead. Apparently those proxies that are being detected are part of CenturyLink's network, or their customers - or leeches using their infrastructure.

In thinking about it, I find it both fascinating and a little troubling that DC would even be interested in knowing whether or not a "connection" to the actions of "clicking" and "viewing" are coming from a proxy or other source. I guess it makes sense to me that the system would want each click and view to be unique, and identifying an ISP would certainly be part of that, but if a proxy is just another connection, one would think a click or view from it would still be valid. If the internet is not so static, unless you want to know where I live, why even worry about a "proxy"? Then again, I think with plain logic, not tech logic, totally different things by design.

Proxies are - for one thing - what people who are heavily into viewbombing use. And what multiscrollers can use.

And yet, I don't do any of that, so identifying that someone is using a proxy without also identifying additional browser behavior, such as but not limited to "viewbombing" and "multiscrolling" is just blowing empty air around over what might be nothing to be alarmed over, but that is a great deal of fuss for a single site to go through.

I guess the real questions I have are, how can a proxy connection really stop someone from giving views and clicks, is it a technical impossibility due to compatibility or is DC saying it doesn't accept views and clicks from a proxy by its programed system default?

I honestly think that disallowing proxies for everything is the only way to manage this. anything else would be exactly what you call 

52 minutes ago, Nightlark said:

a great deal of fuss for a single site to go through.

And as I recall, Fateweaver was NOT able to click or view - they tried.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I honestly think that disallowing proxies for everything is the only way to manage this. anything else would be exactly what you call 

And as I recall, Fateweaver was NOT able to click or view - they tried.

To add my own test on the clicking and viewing to the experiences of others, I tried myself, and although the link takes you to the egg/hatchling page like normal, the click/view does not register as a click/view at all.

My own conclusion to this is that if you get this message while using a land bound internet line (cable, DSL and the WiFi connected to it) you should use the Data side of your cell phone to give clicks and views, as it would appear that connection is not as effected by this issue. It's the only work around I have for it.

Sign in to follow this