TJ09

2020-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 14th Birthday!

Anyone breed an Amalthean from a White x Gold Undine pairing? I bet that would look extra pretty...

Also, breeding topics! 

• Alcedine: None! 😧 
  • Amalthean: None! 😧 
  • Cloudplume: 
  • Pygmy Breeding General:  Pargulus only: 
  • Two-Headed Breeding General: 
  • Sapo: 
  • Labradorite: 

Give them some love!

Edit: Apparently, Sopa dragons are Leviathans...except....they look like Easterns....like Traditional Easterns. They got Antlers, short little limbs, long sprawling serpentine bodies, whiskers, and a long mane (though really is a dorsal fin) extending all the way down the body... They look like Easterns and it bothers me that they aren't labeled as such. 

Well, they wouldn't be the first strangely labeled Leviathan... 

Edited by Shokomon

^I would assume leviathan is being used to mean "long aquatic dragon."

59 minutes ago, cbussiere said:

^I would assume leviathan is being used to mean "long aquatic dragon."

- Then, Aqualises and Red-Finned Tidals would apply. (Though in the case of the Red-finned, it was the artist decision to change them to Lindwyrms due to their fragility.)

- And Shallow Waters are not long.

- My understanding of Leviathans are long serpentine dragons that are primarily aquatic in nature and use fins, fin-like wings, and/or flippers for locomotion. Often have decorative fins and frills as well.

Stratos dragons are the exception to the aquatic part because they live in the stratosphere. However, their morphology is close to that of normal Sea Serpents, so that's what they are labeled as. If these guys were real, I wouldn't be surprised if they had an aquatic sea serpent ancestor. 

More Alcedines, Sapo's, and a Pygmy, a Labradorite and a Cloudplume and I am Egg-locked again...  Took a couple of hours, but I dood it...lol

Thank you all for the opportunity to gather more and post more~~~

Edited by Husky51

Question, do the pygmies breed true? Or are they affected by the parent's biomes?

Surprise! I scribbled the rest of the background to finish this on time 😁

image0-17.thumb.png.54bd9da0cbfdd3c7f250cad21bca54a6.png

Squeeeeeeee! Oh wow that's so lovely hazeh! Those wings look so majestic. 

11 minutes ago, hazeh said:

OUR CHILD LOOKS SO PRETTY GRFEDHUGREFOJOBTGT34HRIUJEBHIU345I

Haze, that's so lovely.   Love this release, still need to work on getting the rest of the things...

Didn't even know there was a release on til i saw some new feathery eggs in the alpine, doh. These look brilliant!

Thanks to all the spriters and description-writers for the bountiful new release! Great way to mark DC's 14th birthday!

I remember when I first joined - I was just breaking into middle school, spent most of my time on low-tech roleplaying forums and felt soooo bad because my terrible internet connection meant I couldn't keep any of my engagements towards other players, so I started looking for low-maintenance and no-human-interaction websites. At the time, I was already writing a novel involving dragons and found that DC was the perfect combination of no-strings-attached gaming and crazy-dragon-lady indulging. It helped me a lot as a teen to have a website like this! A huge thanks to TJ for creating and maintaining it.

Hem-hem. Enough personal. Back to new release.

All new releases are gorgeous! At first I thought I wouldn't like what turned out to be the Labradorites, but as soon as I found out they were based on Labradorites... wellllll they sprouted on me xD And I love their description.

Amalthean are definitely my favourites, next to the Sapos and the blue Alcedines (of which I have caught 0 on 6 attempts). I keep egglocking myself trying xD I had never caught on to the Undines, and alas don't have enough to start an Amalthean breeding program, but it's coming... ooooh yes, it's coming... if ever I can un-egglock meself long enough :P

*looks around*

I get the feeling that since the thread wasn't closed 3 days ago, there's something more we haven't found out yet...

*rubs chin*

On 5/24/2020 at 1:41 PM, Hawaiianbabidoll said:

Here is some of the concept art for the Pargulus Pygmy.

Pargulus_concept_art.png

Some trivia:

-They weren't originally going to come in multiple flavors. After testing out some palettes, I was struggling to narrow it down to one. So after asking some opinions, I narrowed it down to 3 instead.

-Their name comes from a combination of the latin words for 'little' and 'gatherer'

-Citrus trees grow well in the desert and the tropics, peaches in volcanic soil and temperate climates, and berry bushes along the coast and in valleys.

-The plural of Pargulus is Pargulus.

These are now my favorites. Love the different hues. They're adorable.

Hide contents

On 5/21/2020 at 9:31 AM, Hawaiianbabidoll said:

birthday_babies.png

On 5/24/2020 at 8:35 AM, Infinis said:

Yeee adult time ~ Alcedines are based on kingfishers! Common kingfisher and south Philippine dwarf kingfisher. 🙂

For everyone wondering if there was any theme method to our madness, this release was intended as a care package.  A big thank-you from all of us for being an awesome community; we're right there with you and together we're gonna get through this.  I hope you all enjoy the release!

ddxyfv7-72974932-eb85-4c24-a651-bc3353e4

- This is so sweet. Thank you all!

On 5/24/2020 at 9:25 AM, SkyWolf25 said:

Adults!!

Here's the sketch I did for the Cloudplume, with a few edits made to accurately represent the final sprite:
FBrzCIs.png?1
Squishy toe beans. Yes.

Some tidbits:
-They'd love plushies. Hatchlings especially would absolutely adore them. I guess it'd be a stuffed doll in canon DC setting?

-The tail plumes and the two pairs of large feathers on their backs faintly shimmer with iridescence when the dragon is full of mana. It's a sort of surplus magic. I wonder if you can see a hint of it on the sprite?

-Their actual body is not really fat or bulky; the thick feather coat and air magic provides enough warmth, so they don't have much need for extra body fat.

-Always happy to provide snuggles for their friends. They love snuggles.

-This is what I imagine their size to be. It's a size chart for all of my released breeds.(pls excuse the doodle-ness)
T1001Mf.jpg?1
(all sizes can be changed in the future depending on changes to average DC dragon sizes or if I change my mind)
They're big enough to bury your hands in the feathers, or bury yourself in their floofiness. 

Finally, here's a portrait, in three different versions since floof shading is haard and I wasn't too happy with the result x'D
(large images warning)
  Hide contents

XtmKr9F.png?1515HQ3J.png?1

yaVK3GS.png?1

Feel free to ask me questions regarding the Cloudplumes! I love opportunities for more lore. :3

On 5/24/2020 at 10:19 AM, hazeh said:

WHOOOOOOOO!!!! 

Happy Birthday DragCave and well wishes for everyone during this time! 

dcbadbh.thumb.png.b6c9c395334f86e878173bcea6bb2898.png

I haven't quite finished their official artwork yet, but have a birthday card in the meantime!! 😁 (And yes, Amalthean is definitely a heavy reference to Lady Amalthea from the Last Unicorn-- but also the name Amalthea in general means "noble goddess" and is the name of the she-goat that nursed the god Zeus when he was an infant )

On 5/24/2020 at 12:12 PM, TCA said:

Hi guys, glad to see you are all enjoying the dragons! The Jesters were a fun design I came up with by trying to combine the Bauta's 'mask' aesthetic with the black and white color scheme of the Blancblacks, around the same time we decided to do a care package theme, so they fit right in as a representative for finding ways to occupy your mind and relieve stress via consuming entertainment. Wishing you all the best!!

On 5/24/2020 at 2:52 PM, hazeh said:

Thank you, I'm really glad you like them!! I have loved unicorns since I was a toddler so I knew I had to jump at the chance to make these guys. I am very proud of them!

Since I've seen the question floating around a little, I'll clarify here: the horn is made of both wood and bone. As a hatchling, a piece of the stave from their White parent is removed and bonded to the hatchling as their power comes into being (in the case of Amaltheans with Amalthean parents, it would be a piece broken off from one of the parent's horns). This wood fuses to the dragon's bone and integrates into the neural and magical network of energy in the dragon's body. The wood is still alive, and grows as a tree generally might, thus they have to constantly sharpen and file their horns down on trees or stones in their territory to keep them at manageable lengths. Texture-wise it's a bit harder than natural wood, similar to fossilized wood, because of its fusion to the bone (which acts like antler bone, though the horn itself is never fully shed). 

On 5/24/2020 at 3:41 PM, Hawaiianbabidoll said:

Here is some of the concept art for the Pargulus Pygmy.

Pargulus_concept_art.png

Some trivia:

-They weren't originally going to come in multiple flavors. After testing out some palettes, I was struggling to narrow it down to one. So after asking some opinions, I narrowed it down to 3 instead.

-Their name comes from a combination of the latin words for 'little' and 'gatherer'

-Citrus trees grow well in the desert and the tropics, peaches in volcanic soil and temperate climates, and berry bushes along the coast and in valleys.

On 5/24/2020 at 6:20 PM, Infinis said:

Here's the concept art for the pink alcedine: https://sta.sh/0cjxgdcg6rg

they were originally going to be m/f dimorphic set but the blue ended up appearing so much visually larger that I ended up deciding they'd be alts, so there's no separate concept art for the blue one (just a color mockup on the same base as the pink alcedine's concept art). blues were originally going to have longer, branching antlers but this ended up too complex with the mane texture right there as well owo 

On 5/24/2020 at 7:06 PM, Nakase said:

Sapo, latin for Soap. Not very creative there =P

axolotl similarities and betta fish similarities

I love their smiles, whiskers and gradient.

I enjoyed the concept of the fins becoming more vibrant as they aged.

Oh yeah, these dragons are THICC. Think seals ;)

colors + single pose = trans

( I noticed this similarity as I was picking out my colors, and the fact that if it only had one pose, then it would continue the thought into a sentence. We are all precious.)

image is the painting in progress~

sapo.jpg

On 5/24/2020 at 8:53 PM, hazeh said:

I'm not sure where the implication that white dragons grow their own staffs from their body comes from 😅. Their encyclopedia says they take branches off ancient elms and staffs can be passed down through the generations. Amaltheans simply absorb a small piece of that staff and grow that piece for the rest of their lives as part of themselves. 

For those who are separated early enough from their parents, they would likely find a branch from a tree they are most fond of and use that as a substitute. I imagine their magic would not be as strong this way, though, since a lot of the potency comes from the magic imbued by white dragons into the wood. 

On 5/25/2020 at 2:22 PM, spatio said:

unknown.png

Oops, I guess I should have posted this!  My original sketch for the labradorites.  Doha spiced up the head design with horns when we were working on the sprites.  My headcanon for size is that they're sorta like goldfish - the bigger the cave, the bigger the Labby (plus those in mana-rich caves would grow faster than others).  I'd imagine most of them aren't overly enormous, but the occasional cryptid inhabiting a mammoth cave system may be scary large.  But still friendly little buggers.  Probably the type to pop out of a hole suddenly and scare someone because they've been waiting so long for someone to get close enough that they can share their eerily intuitive/specific life advice or WIP script for this amazing play they've written and oh my gosh you're just gonna love this character! Wait, why are you running away?

On 5/25/2020 at 2:55 PM, spatio said:

They literally were inspired by xenomorphs xD  Horns had to be added and other things tweaked so they weren't so on the nose haha

15 hours ago, hazeh said:

2 hours ago, Hawaiianbabidoll said:
  Hide contents

Bonus Artwork

Pargulus_teens.png

- A collection of all the things artists posted about the dragons in the spoiler

That looks lovely, @hazeh!

--

On 5/28/2020 at 12:22 AM, stardust13 said:

Has anyone gathered all the Spriter Tidbits into one post? Just curious and don't want to wade through 30 pages. ^_^

{snip}

Here you go!

Also, Breeding Templates! Thanks, @Cowfish249!

On 5/26/2020 at 3:45 PM, Cowfish249 said:

I made some checkered templets with the new releases for anyone who might want to use them.

I haven't made any for the pygmies since we don't know how their offsprings colour is determined yet.

Hide contents

Alcedine Wyverns

Hide contents

1516489874_ynn4TSgcopy10.png.37641d3fa042b0f102564fd642627a65.png776748935_ynn4TSgcopy11.png.b464be66c746e747bdbe34b0ccba174e.png1982004239_ynn4TSgcopy8.png.e11c0efa763c48b956e0721fc11b3e5d.png675179213_ynn4TSgcopy9.png.63dbd93013014278e64d8d0045fd4e71.png

Amalthean Dragons

Hide contents

1311444403_ynn4TSgcopy14.png.4cd20bc7abc7da44d2f75416d82390a5.png1685880687_ynn4TSgcopy15.png.c4b44b07a458d4be76bc706aefeeabea.png

Cloudplume Dragons

Hide contents

2093091524_ynn4TSgcopy6.png.9965152c153704d3ac4cb81218ad59a9.png1297312113_ynn4TSgcopy7.png.d9e0d731d5ef503aef8fe8669261f926.png

Jester Dragons

Hide contents

1026379699_ynn4TSgcopy12.png.702b91d40861b8515a296377802e58ea.png1312125342_ynn4TSgcopy13.png.3020b88030774a3fdc78e2ca40fce5af.png

Labradorite Dragons

Hide contents

1470801193_ynn4TSgcopy4.png.aa200c1db7d168f7106f2f85e76dd9a2.png803450017_ynn4TSgcopy5.png.940b7ae54069013787c85c1d3193f14f.png

Sapo Dragons

Hide contents

2070325759_ynn4TSgcopy2.png.31833140791344c016ea373794cbd00b.png724666761_ynn4TSgcopy3.png.069c2fff28e08f7bfa57caee1ab68af2.png

(If there is somewhere else I should post these please let me know)

- You may want to post these to their respective breeding threads. You can find a list of them here: Link

Edited by Shokomon
Adding more art!

9 hours ago, hazeh said:

STUNNING!

1 hour ago, Kith said:

*looks around*

I get the feeling that since the thread wasn't closed 3 days ago, there's something more we haven't found out yet...

*rubs chin*

I've honestly thought the same thing and have wondered if it's related to how the alcedine wyverns color. Could influencing them effect that, or has it been confirmed that it is totally random with nothing users do affecting it? 

4 minutes ago, ADN6 said:

I've honestly thought the same thing and have wondered if it's related to how the alcedine wyverns color. Could influencing them effect that, or has it been confirmed that it is totally random with nothing users do affecting it? 

Nope. Infi themself confirmed that the Alcedine color at random. 

3 hours ago, Shokomon said:

Reveal hidden contents

- This is so sweet. Thank you all!

- A collection of all the things artists posted about the dragons in the spoiler

You might want to add this to your collection even if it hasn't any info on the new dragons but it's a beautiful piece of art:

1 minute ago, Hawaiianbabidoll said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Bonus Artwork

Pargulus_teens.png

Love it!  Love these pygmies--spectacular job!  I need an army!

So cute!

And my Market Pargulus turned peachy :D

2 hours ago, rinoa26 said:

You might want to add this to your collection even if it hasn't any info on the new dragons but it's a beautiful piece of art:

Thanks! I somehow missed that one!

2 hours ago, Hawaiianbabidoll said:
  Hide contents

Bonus Artwork

Pargulus_teens.png

Ohh nooooo!!!! Too cute!

The citrus look so happy with all his citrus fruits. Even the lemons!

And the Peach is just peaches!

And the Berry alpine is such a sweetie!