TJ09

2020-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 14th Birthday!

16 minutes ago, spatio said:

My original sketch for the labradorites.

AaaaaaAAAaaaaaaah I love them and I want a hundred. (Wait, I can have a hundred. *_* Nothing is stopping me! Nothing! Bwahahahaha!)

They're so xenomorphy, but with much less maiming and much more enthusiastic friendliness. I am deffo smooshing them together with Arsanis.

(Also I can so relate to these guys. I usually go by "Dread" on my home IRC network. It takes people a while to notice it's not descriptive of me. XD)

Posted (edited)

Spoiler

On 5/24/2020 at 8:35 AM, Infinis said:

Yeee adult time ~ Alcedines are based on kingfishers! Common kingfisher and south Philippine dwarf kingfisher. 🙂

For everyone wondering if there was any theme method to our madness, this release was intended as a care package.  A big thank-you from all of us for being an awesome community; we're right there with you and together we're gonna get through this.  I hope you all enjoy the release!

ddxyfv7-72974932-eb85-4c24-a651-bc3353e4

- This is so sweet. Thank you all!

On 5/24/2020 at 9:25 AM, SkyWolf25 said:

Adults!!

Here's the sketch I did for the Cloudplume, with a few edits made to accurately represent the final sprite:
FBrzCIs.png?1
Squishy toe beans. Yes.

Some tidbits:
-They'd love plushies. Hatchlings especially would absolutely adore them. I guess it'd be a stuffed doll in canon DC setting?

-The tail plumes and the two pairs of large feathers on their backs faintly shimmer with iridescence when the dragon is full of mana. It's a sort of surplus magic. I wonder if you can see a hint of it on the sprite?

-Their actual body is not really fat or bulky; the thick feather coat and air magic provides enough warmth, so they don't have much need for extra body fat.

-Always happy to provide snuggles for their friends. They love snuggles.

-This is what I imagine their size to be. It's a size chart for all of my released breeds.(pls excuse the doodle-ness)
T1001Mf.jpg?1
(all sizes can be changed in the future depending on changes to average DC dragon sizes or if I change my mind)
They're big enough to bury your hands in the feathers, or bury yourself in their floofiness. 

Finally, here's a portrait, in three different versions since floof shading is haard and I wasn't too happy with the result x'D
(large images warning)
  Reveal hidden contents

XtmKr9F.png?1515HQ3J.png?1

yaVK3GS.png?1

Feel free to ask me questions regarding the Cloudplumes! I love opportunities for more lore. :3

On 5/24/2020 at 10:19 AM, hazeh said:

WHOOOOOOOO!!!! 

Happy Birthday DragCave and well wishes for everyone during this time! 

dcbadbh.thumb.png.b6c9c395334f86e878173bcea6bb2898.png

I haven't quite finished their official artwork yet, but have a birthday card in the meantime!! 😁 (And yes, Amalthean is definitely a heavy reference to Lady Amalthea from the Last Unicorn-- but also the name Amalthea in general means "noble goddess" and is the name of the she-goat that nursed the god Zeus when he was an infant )

On 5/24/2020 at 12:12 PM, TCA said:

Hi guys, glad to see you are all enjoying the dragons! The Jesters were a fun design I came up with by trying to combine the Bauta's 'mask' aesthetic with the black and white color scheme of the Blancblacks, around the same time we decided to do a care package theme, so they fit right in as a representative for finding ways to occupy your mind and relieve stress via consuming entertainment. Wishing you all the best!!

On 5/24/2020 at 2:52 PM, hazeh said:

Thank you, I'm really glad you like them!! I have loved unicorns since I was a toddler so I knew I had to jump at the chance to make these guys. I am very proud of them!

Since I've seen the question floating around a little, I'll clarify here: the horn is made of both wood and bone. As a hatchling, a piece of the stave from their White parent is removed and bonded to the hatchling as their power comes into being (in the case of Amaltheans with Amalthean parents, it would be a piece broken off from one of the parent's horns). This wood fuses to the dragon's bone and integrates into the neural and magical network of energy in the dragon's body. The wood is still alive, and grows as a tree generally might, thus they have to constantly sharpen and file their horns down on trees or stones in their territory to keep them at manageable lengths. Texture-wise it's a bit harder than natural wood, similar to fossilized wood, because of its fusion to the bone (which acts like antler bone, though the horn itself is never fully shed). 

On 5/24/2020 at 3:41 PM, Hawaiianbabidoll said:

Here is some of the concept art for the Pargulus Pygmy.

Pargulus_concept_art.png

Some trivia:

-They weren't originally going to come in multiple flavors. After testing out some palettes, I was struggling to narrow it down to one. So after asking some opinions, I narrowed it down to 3 instead.

-Their name comes from a combination of the latin words for 'little' and 'gatherer'

-Citrus trees grow well in the desert and the tropics, peaches in volcanic soil and temperate climates, and berry bushes along the coast and in valleys.

On 5/24/2020 at 6:20 PM, Infinis said:

Here's the concept art for the pink alcedine: https://sta.sh/0cjxgdcg6rg

they were originally going to be m/f dimorphic set but the blue ended up appearing so much visually larger that I ended up deciding they'd be alts, so there's no separate concept art for the blue one (just a color mockup on the same base as the pink alcedine's concept art). blues were originally going to have longer, branching antlers but this ended up too complex with the mane texture right there as well owo 

On 5/24/2020 at 7:06 PM, Nakase said:

Sapo, latin for Soap. Not very creative there =P

axolotl similarities and betta fish similarities

I love their smiles, whiskers and gradient.

I enjoyed the concept of the fins becoming more vibrant as they aged.

Oh yeah, these dragons are THICC. Think seals ;)

colors + single pose = trans

( I noticed this similarity as I was picking out my colors, and the fact that if it only had one pose, then it would continue the thought into a sentence. We are all precious.)

image is the painting in progress~

sapo.jpg

On 5/24/2020 at 8:53 PM, hazeh said:

I'm not sure where the implication that white dragons grow their own staffs from their body comes from 😅. Their encyclopedia says they take branches off ancient elms and staffs can be passed down through the generations. Amaltheans simply absorb a small piece of that staff and grow that piece for the rest of their lives as part of themselves. 

For those who are separated early enough from their parents, they would likely find a branch from a tree they are most fond of and use that as a substitute. I imagine their magic would not be as strong this way, though, since a lot of the potency comes from the magic imbued by white dragons into the wood. 

16 hours ago, spatio said:

unknown.png

Oops, I guess I should have posted this!  My original sketch for the labradorites.  Doha spiced up the head design with horns when we were working on the sprites.  My headcanon for size is that they're sorta like goldfish - the bigger the cave, the bigger the Labby (plus those in mana-rich caves would grow faster than others).  I'd imagine most of them aren't overly enormous, but the occasional cryptid inhabiting a mammoth cave system may be scary large.  But still friendly little buggers.  Probably the type to pop out of a hole suddenly and scare someone because they've been waiting so long for someone to get close enough that they can share their eerily intuitive/specific life advice or WIP script for this amazing play they've written and oh my gosh you're just gonna love this character! Wait, why are you running away?

15 hours ago, spatio said:

They literally were inspired by xenomorphs xD  Horns had to be added and other things tweaked so they weren't so on the nose haha

- A collection of all the stuff posted on the Dragons in the spoiler

Thank you @spatio! The personality for the Labaradorites make me lol.

Though, physically, they remind me of Aliens from Alien (lol).

Edited by Shokomon
adding more info

Something about the fluidity of the design puts me in mind of a lot of Allison Theus's work. *rubs chin*

They literally were inspired by xenomorphs xD  Horns had to be added and other things tweaked so they weren't so on the nose haha

58 minutes ago, spatio said:

unknown.png

Oops, I guess I should have posted this!  My original sketch for the labradorites.  Doha spiced up the head design with horns when we were working on the sprites.  My headcanon for size is that they're sorta like goldfish - the bigger the cave, the bigger the Labby (plus those in mana-rich caves would grow faster than others).  I'd imagine most of them aren't overly enormous, but the occasional cryptid inhabiting a mammoth cave system may be scary large.  But still friendly little buggers.  Probably the type to pop out of a hole suddenly and scare someone because they've been waiting so long for someone to get close enough that they can share their eerily intuitive/specific life advice or WIP script for this amazing play they've written and oh my gosh you're just gonna love this character! Wait, why are you running away?

I love this information had me in stitches, I just love these guys 😍 all they need is friendship I will gladly listen to anything these beautiful creatures have to say

And that art work is phenomenal, I really love this concept and design! 

1 hour ago, spatio said:

unknown.png

Friendly xenomorph dragons are hilarious to me for some reason. 

What do they usually eat?

@spatio Love the sketch! They are really beautiful dragons if kind of sad.

And your little scenario there makes me feel even sorrier for them. Poor guys just wanna be friendly and end up scaring everyone. XD

59 minutes ago, spatio said:

You and Dohaerys did a great job varying the theme! They have the general vibe without feeling like copies at all. The spindliness is probably the primary differentiator! To quip, Xenomorphs have an actual ribcage, after all, these guys are just noodles. 8D The friendliest, spiniest noodles. *squishes them happily*

Posted (edited)

What a Wonderful 14th Birthday!  Thank you TJ & Spriters!  I love that we had 2 breedables, I've missed them so (even if I could do only one). Some of the newer dc members apparently had never had the chance to do the exquisite fun of breeding to obtain a new egg. Hoping for more in the future, thanks all! 

Edited by Kaini
Removed scrollspam

Posted (edited)

On 5/24/2020 at 10:18 AM, Kaityn said:

Same here! I immediately thought of doing a Amalthean - Soulpeace checker for a White-Hybrid lineage (if anyone could do a mockup, I'd be very grateful!)

Vibe! I thought the same thing later on due to the whole white dragon overlap LOL

No idea is anyone else made any yet, but here are the two lazy mocs I made:

Spoiler

lineagenewblank6ust8-1.png.8973beb6372868d82fb364f3cfee50f6.pnglineagenewblank6ust8.png.b376ddbd2b62c516430d671fff076180.png

I think I'm going to do Make whites and Male soulstones to maximize the sitting sprites LOL

Edited by Cowfish249
I wrote die instead of due so I fixed it - yes.

I love all of the new dragons, they're so beautiful and wholesome! ❤️ I'm still working on collecting them all, but I'm finally close to getting everything. :lol:

Posted (edited)

I can't believe I forgot to praise the diversity in this release, only ONE vanilla western, everyone else is an eastern, two headed, pygmy. And we got TWO hybrids which we don't get often enough. It's nice to see the other variants getting some attention.

I love this realease.

Edited by blockEdragon

*sees Cloudplume* SO FLUFFY!

I think the pillows have competition now for whose the fluffiest.

Despite that, I think the Jester is my favorite (I like the color pallet)

Posted (edited)

I thought the Labradorites look like they're throwing lassos - so I paired them with Horse dragons 😄

1758973626_lineagehorselabradorite.png.7b49db859179a9753a78e56c6304d6c1.png

Edited by Laura-Borealis

29 minutes ago, Cowfish249 said:

Vibe! I thought the same thing later on due to the whole white dragon overlap LOL

No idea is anyone else made any yet, but here are the two lazy mocs I made:

Thank you! Of the mock-ups that have been done, those two combinations are my favorite (with the white and Amalthean the same gender)! Totally going to be working on those two! XD 

2 hours ago, spatio said:

unknown.png

I love these dragons so much. Their eggs remind me of really nice marbles.

And the S1 hatchlings reminded me of the creature, Alien. This sketch furthers gives me that vibe. And I love it!

Aaah. I love them all, but the Amalthean is my fave. Unicorn dragons. 😍

Oh my lord...how did I manage to miss this???

I grabbed two of my little seed gremlins from the jungle and desert thinking the desert = hot = red, lol. I'll just have to grab two more greens  when its time to grab more of them and influence them male since both will be female.

I'm very curious- how far in advance/how long ago did you spriters begin the art/plan for the birthday release?

Well, although I was catching eggs a few days ago, I managed to completely miss this!

Happy birthday, and many more :)

Posted (edited)

I think I've found a glitch.  Sopa eggs do not appear to be dropping in coast as reported at the beginning of event. 

At first I thought it was just my bad luck this past day hunting for them in coast and not seeing any.  So this afternoon I started searching the hatcheries to see if anyone else caught them in coast.  All I saw, from eggs to mature hatchlings, were from forest and jungle.  Seems very strange to not have an aquatic breed appearing in coast biome.  

Edited by Dracaena

5 minutes ago, Dracaena said:

I think I've found a glitch.  Sopa eggs do not appear to be dropping in coast as reported at the beginning of event. 

At first I thought it was just my bad luck this past day hunting for them in coast and not seeing any.  So this afternoon I started searching the hatcheries to see if anyone else caught them in coast.  All I saw, from eggs to mature hatchlings, were from forest and jungle.  Seems very strange to not have an aquatic breed appearing in coast biome.  

This came up a few pages ago and a few people pointed out we haven't actually seen any evidence of them having ever dropped in the Coast (although there's no ruling out some people might have gotten some from the very first few minutes and reported them in some chat or another, of course). But you're right that it's a bit strange they're not dropping in the Coast, by their nature.

5 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

This came up a few pages ago and a few people pointed out we haven't actually seen any evidence of them having ever dropped in the Coast (although there's no ruling out some people might have gotten some from the very first few minutes and reported them in some chat or another, of course). But you're right that it's a bit strange they're not dropping in the Coast, by their nature.

I always laugh at cheese dragons from the volcano!  I mean--how do they survive? :D Fondue!

20 minutes ago, Dracaena said:

At first I thought it was just my bad luck this past day hunting for them in coast and not seeing any.  So this afternoon I started searching the hatcheries to see if anyone else caught them in coast.  All I found, from eggs to mature hatchlings, were from forest and jungle.  Seems very strange to not have an aquatic breed appearing in coast biome.  

i've always taken the coast biome to mean oceanic coastline (much like how the desert biome specifically describes it as a hot desert). not all aquatic dragons belong in the coast; water exists in many, many places inland. ^^