KingDarkstalker

Inherit colors through breeding

I think it would amazing if they added a feature where you can breed dragons for certain colors. For example, if you breed a white dragon with a black one, the baby might become a grey color.

While this sounds interesting, we do have hybrid dragons already and inherited colors would be a lot of extra work for the spriters. If you have certain dragon colors you would like to see, you can always submit a dragon request and it might get worked on. 

Would color-changing require artist's permission? Usually messing with in-cave dragons needs the spriter's permission (or at least a decent attempt to contact them). I've also noticed that many of the updated/changed in-cave sprites have had the original spriter involved in the actual change-spriting. All to say, this suggestion in any form is more involved and time-consuming than many realize, certainly nothing like just changing a dragon's color through Photoshop or whatever. 

It's an interesting idea, though, simply because there are definitely dragon breeds that some would like more if they were a different color (I'm guilty of that way of thinking too). 

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Would color-changing require artist's permission?

Yes. Although some artists may have given blanket permission for this kind of thing. You can look this up here: 

You find the name of the artist on the view page of a dragon under "copyright".

As soon as I saw this, all I could think of was Dino Cave.

Short of Dino cave actually becoming a thing, I don't know if this will happen. That'a s a lot of work for 200+ breeds of dragon with at least 3 sprites each (S1, S2, Adult). 

Plus, Dragon Cave has approached mixing between breeds as hybrids as opposed to color changes. 

Now, if Dino Cave became a real thing, I'd be down.

No, it is way too late to implement this on Dragon Cave. The breeds were deliberately given the colors they have with no consideration or consent for color changes.

Yeah, DC was just never set up for a system like that, and trying to retrofit it now would be... woof.

The closest we have is the Striped Dragons, which would be kind of fun to explore expanding to more colors, or y'know, implementing a new breed with a similar mechanic, but trying to make recolored variations of every sprite would just be... buh... like, before you even get into the art permissions part, just the scope of the project is... buh.

Edited by Stromboli

We kind of have this with the Striped Dragons. If you breed a white Striped Dragon with a Red Dragon you get a red Striped.

I agree that it would be too involved to implement this as a change for all the breeds in the cave, but if you want you could make a new breed suggestion. Maybe a breed that comes in red, blue, and yellow variants in the cave.  And when you breed the red variant with the yellow variant the egg come out orange. Red x Blue produces a purple egg, and Blue x Yellow produces a green egg. You would have to figure out the mechanics of how they would interbreed with other types of dragons.