jis99

Encyclopedia Problem?

In the Dragon encyclopedia, the alt egg of the new Xol dragon remains shaded. I have several of these alt dragons, and the encyclopedia says I only need one to unlock the alt egg. I believe that this is a problem that needs to be fixed.

You also need to see plenty of the alt EGG. Own one or view 5.... I viewed 13 before both eggs showed up; what are your stats ?

image.png.bdadc7c05ee4f5d810f4bb09c3d39f5d.png

My stats

image.png.b2ae15bb5ef0334960ed752d75247eb6.png

I currently have 2 alt eggs on my scroll

Edited by jis99

I wonder if, since the eggs were probably blue when they were first obtained, they always get counted as an "owned" blue egg and after incubating don't update to an "owned" red egg?

I'm pretty sure I had to go back and unlock the red egg with views as well, even though I'd raised a pair of red eggs.

Well, I went out to the fan sites and clicked on a bunch of Xol eggs to make it appear in the encyclopedia, I still think it's a problem, but at least there's a work-around.

5 hours ago, Stromboli said:

I wonder if, since the eggs were probably blue when they were first obtained, they always get counted as an "owned" blue egg and after incubating don't update to an "owned" red egg?

I'm pretty sure I had to go back and unlock the red egg with views as well, even though I'd raised a pair of red eggs.

You shouldn't have to.

When the Encyclopedia entries became available, it was at the time my eggs started hatching. So, I had the blue eggs discovered but the brown eggs weren't--only the hatchlings. All I had to do was grab another egg and incubate it to discover the brown egg. 

6 hours ago, ValidEmotions said:

All I had to do was grab another egg and incubate it to discover the brown egg.

As long as you don't go to the egg's /view/ page while it's still blue, that would work.

12 hours ago, jis99 said:

My stats

image.png.b2ae15bb5ef0334960ed752d75247eb6.png

I currently have 2 alt eggs on my scroll

You note I had 13 to your 5. I'm sure that makes the difference - and  Ruby makes a good point too: you will probably have seen them FIRST when they were blue. So the view of them after they turned won't count.

That seems like a bug that should be fixed. I have been trying to figure out why my red eggs didn't unlock the encyclopedia image. It seems like they should count as owned red eggs as soon as they change, even if you have already viewed them.

4 hours ago, UnicornMaiden said:

That seems like a bug that should be fixed. I have been trying to figure out why my red eggs didn't unlock the encyclopedia image. It seems like they should count as owned red eggs as soon as they change, even if you have already viewed them.

Well there's several possibilities:

Your blue egg converts to a red egg from an encyclopedia perspective, potentially locking the blue egg sprite (because your "owned" eggs went down) and creating an unexpected negative experience.

Your blue egg does not count as a red egg upon being incubated, making it harder to unlock the red egg and creating an unexpected negative experience.

Your blue egg also counts as a red egg upon being incubated, contributing to the progress of both but unexpectedly increasing your "owned eggs" count such that the one egg counts as two in the encyclopedia.

The last of those may be the best option, but honestly none of them are particularly intuitive.

13 hours ago, UnicornMaiden said:

You can only view something for it to count once a month on your own scroll . If you caught an egg - you will almost certainly have viewed it. When you got it it was blue. By the time a second view of it can count, a month later, it will have grown up (or died.) Basically you generally can't "view" an incubated Xol on your own scroll; you need the hatcheries. Or the encyclopaedia helpers thread.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

10 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Basically you generally can't "view" an incubated Xol on your own scroll;

Of course you can. Do NOT go to its view page after picking it up or breeding it, quickly use Incubate on the egg, THEN go to the egg's view page.

Do you NEVER get a view when you pick up ? You don't get a click, but a VIEW (I will test this in a minute, actually as I am biome hunting as we speak...)

ETA and it has a view. (I had my scroll open in another browser.) Not a click, but a view. I think it's safer to rely on the fan sites for incubated xols. I did say further up "you will almost certainly have viewed it"....

Edited by Fuzzbucket

On 5/7/2020 at 2:05 PM, Ruby Eyes said:

As long as you don't go to the egg's /view/ page while it's still blue, that would work.

It didn't for me. I just grabbed two, incubated both and then went to the view page for good measure. According to the Encyclopedia, I still need to own 1 alt egg to unlock the sprite.

Here's pic proof that at least one egg has not been viewed before incubating:

image.png.80fffd6ea15d39b6579ff73bf8811d88.png

Edited by olympe

Exactly. And when I checked my new egg from the biome. A view - before I had hit the view page. So both ways mess up.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

They still count for observations, though.

Not if you viewed them as blue first. And as I say - I caught a biome egg, checked my main scroll page, unlogged in, from another browser and it already had a view.

When you go to an egg's VIEW page, it gives a CLICK. THAT is what gives the observation.

Everything else is just a view for growage.

YES - but I caught an egg from a biome. left it at it "got page" and checked my scroll page - unlogged in - in another browser. That egg already had a view. I'm sure a view is what it needs for observation.

Not that it's a huge issue, as TJ has already pointed out.

The get code page is probably enough to count as a "you have owned" this egg, similar to auto-abandoned eggs counting as owned. Thus, a click is not necessarily what counts for observation, as it would be... counter-intuitive for an egg to count as both observed and owned, and these eggs are already owned.

@Fuzzbucket

The problem seems to be with using the same word for different things here.

Any creature counts only ONCE for "owned" and ONCE A MONTH for an observation, which is too long for any egg to count twice for the same thing. So if you clicked it when it was blue, it won't help anymore at all if you click it when it's red.

You have to VISIT the creature's VIEW page which gives you a CLICK if you haven't visited that creature before (and if it can actually still accumulate clicks) and it's an OBSERVATION if you haven't done that in the past 30 days yet.

You give that creature a VIEW if you just load any page where it's embedded, like a hatchery, someone's scroll, or a forum signature. If you do that for the first time, it also adds a UNIQUE VIEW. Neither of them count for observations.

Sure - but I think you need a view to count for the encyclopaedia. And the whole issue in this thread is about an egg, so the clicks thing (and even the UV) isn't that relevant.

As I say - yesterday I caught a biome egg - and before I had gone to its view page, it already had a view. I went to it on my unlogged in scroll page in another browser - and viewing a scroll page does not score views on its own. The view had to have come when I caught it - and so if it had been a Xol, I  would have already viewed it as blue and couldn't count it as a red one when I incubated it. The view - which had to have been by me - (and the "owned") had already happened.

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Sure - but I think you need a view to count for the encyclopaedia.

Nope. Think about it - if a simple view was enough, you'd have filled all observation needs by a single page load of any hatchery (for eggs and hatchies) or a sufficiently large scroll (for adults).

Since the Encyclopedia does NOT work that way, you actually have to click things.

Whatever - my egg had a view before I had gone to its view page - it had to have got that by my picking it up. So (if it had been a Xol) when I then incubate it, I can't get it another view as red, as I already viewed that egg once. That one egg can only accrue one view for you, for encyclopaedia purposes. EITHER as blue or as red, not as both.  And if it got a view when I picked it up (as the egg I got yesterday did) it will not get me a red view no matter which way I run.

As TJ said:

Well there's several possibilities:

Your blue egg converts to a red egg from an encyclopedia perspective, potentially locking the blue egg sprite (because your "owned" eggs went down) and creating an unexpected negative experience.

Your blue egg does not count as a red egg upon being incubated, making it harder to unlock the red egg and creating an unexpected negative experience.

Your blue egg also counts as a red egg upon being incubated, contributing to the progress of both but unexpectedly increasing your "owned eggs" count such that the one egg counts as two in the encyclopedia.

The last of those may be the best option, but honestly none of them are particularly intuitive.

What I would have got yesterday is bolded.

You are confusing me now.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

my egg had a view

That does NOT MATTER. Giving it a view does NOT do anything to your Encyclopedia.

How about you verify that by testing?

I have a red Xol on my scroll. I tell you this so you can check your Encyclopedia counters before you go and visit my scroll.

Check your observation counter before you go to my scroll.

Check your counter before you click my egg.

Check your counter after you click my egg.

Which of these adds to your counter?