Shokomon

Encyclopedia Link and Badge

Welcome to the Encyclopedia Link and Badge Request Thread!

Originally, this was just for an encyclopedia badge, but with input from the thread it has expanded to a direct link! So in summary this request is for:

1. A Link to the encyclopedia on the Dragons Page (Current suggestion is a link put in the "Unique Breeds" text at the top of the Dragons Page)
  2. An Badge for the encyclopedia you can get after fully unlocking a set amount encyclopedia entries (Current suggestion is 50 with no adjustments for new entries.)

---

Encyclopedia Badge

As it says on the tin, I would like an Encyclopedia badge to record how far you are along in the encyclopedia. And an achievement would be nice to have.

• The badge should NOT be pinned, since we will have an actually link to the encyclopedia elsewhere (though the badge should probably still contain a link to the encyclopedia. 
  • Achievement version 1 - Hard Number Limit
    • (Option 1) Badge fully unlocked at a set limit (current suggestion: 50 full entries)
      Just now, Shokomon said:

2. An Badge for the encyclopedia you can get after fully unlocking 50 encyclopedia entries.

We actually have enough to make it 100 entries. (We have exactly 101 according to the wiki.)

So which achievement would be better? 50 entries or 100 entries? 50 would be easier, but I just like 100 as an achievement number.

• (Option 2) Badge unlocked in stepwise faction with hard limits. Additional entries DO NOT change already obtained badge.
      Just now, Shokomon said:

Maybe something stepwise? 

• If we go with the sprites we have, maybe at 50, you get the badge with either a half-filled book or a single closed book.
      • After 100 entries, the badge upgrades to a filled book or a 2nd book in the "shelf."

What do you all think?

• Achievement version 2 - Percentage Based
    • (Takes into account increases in entries with the addition of new dragons and tries to mitigate changes to earning a stepwise badges as the number of entries increases.)
    • Instead of by straight numbers (since there are always more dragons being added), the badge would fill up by percentage, as in the percentage of dragon entries you have filled to the max. That way adding dragons won't suddenly change the badge (unless you are at a low or borderline percentage or a significant about of dragons were added.)
    • Maybe something like this (spoilered for length): 
      Spoiler

Ex: Badge or Pages in the Badge fills by 1/5.

- There are as of 05/29/2020, there are 256 entries in the encyclopedia.

1. 00-20% = up to about 51 of 256 entries completed
      2. 21-40% =  52 - 102 of 256 entries completed 
      3. 41-60% = 103 - 153 of 256 entries completed
      4. 61-80% = 154 - 204 of 256 entries completed
      5. 81-100% = 205 - 256 of 256 entries completed

- Say a Holiday Event (Val/Hallow/Xmas) and release occurred. 1 dragon breed was added to the cave, making the total number of 257 entries in the encyclopedia.

1. 00-20% = up to about 51 of 257 entries completed
      2. 21-40% = 52 - 102 of 257 entries completed 
      3. 41-60% = 103 - 154 of 257 entries completed
      4. 61-80% = 155 - 205 of 257 entries completed
      5. 81-100% = 206 - 257 of 257 entries completed

Note that there is hardly any change in the numbers needed to fill the encyclopedia.

- Now, say instead, a normal release occurred. 8 more dragons were added to the cave at once, making the total number of 264 entries in the encyclopedia.

-- I picked 8 as that's the largest number of dragons released in the cave at once so far...

1. 00-20% = up to about 52 of 264 entries completed
      2. 21-40% = 53 - 105 of 264 entries completed 
      3. 41-60% = 106 - 158 of 264 entries completed
      4. 61-80% = 159 - 211 of 264 entries completed
      5. 81-100% = 212 - 264 of 264 entries completed

This one has a larger shift, more prominent as the percentage goes up. Fortunately, Most releases don't get as high, so the shift wouldn't be as much.

In all cases, the people most affected are people at borderline entry numbers. Also, note that people who maxed out the encyclopedia never lose their badge. 

• There was discussion about an encyclopedia badge here (with art): 
    • But I don't know if it's worth bumping the old thread, especially because rules have changed to prefer individual threads for topics rather than conglomerate threads for related topics...

Ported Artwork from the old Badge and Trophy Thread

- One suggestion in the old thread was to set the badge by percentage as opposed to straight numbers (since the encyclopedia is always growing)

- By @silverstreak12

- By @zaverxi

--

Encyclopedia Link:

I would like an actual link to the encyclopedia on the "Dragons" page, as I often forget it's even there. With the link buried in the Accounts page, it's easy to forget it's there unless you are actively using it. 

•  There have been suggestions at placing a link to the encyclopedia in the "Unique Breeds" text in the Users states section. I agree as it makes sense, because the encyclopedia is there to record behavior and such for the various dragons (and not-dragons) we have on the site.
  • Related Posts:
    • On 5/1/2020 at 10:08 PM, Stromboli said:

Could we make "Unique Breeds" in user stats link to the encyclopedia, like "Growing Dragons" links to egg limits?

164043621_ScreenShot2020-05-01at9_05_12PM.png.f7dc72942f2e729772c3a35a33c507c2.png

Extra:

• For other things hidden in the accounts page:
On 5/1/2020 at 10:11 PM, Dunsparce said:

Hide contents

Maybe the 'dragons' page could have a drop-down menu that sort of has the encyclopedia and raffle available there? That way the account page functions for hosting more... account-y related things. I guess groups could fit into the dragon-related drop-down too, but menus might be prone to clutter later as the site grows further? I guess it could be added into the ' cave/dragons/trading/etc ' line, but it may off-set and reposition the header image too much. 🤔 

• TJ09 quotes:
On 5/1/2020 at 10:03 PM, TJ09 said:

I'm not against a badge as a nice little reward for spending the time to unlock things, but badges aren't really meant to be "this is an easy entrypoint to a thing" so if that's the real goal there's probably better solutions (I've already been thinking about the fact that too many things are buried under "account"—including things that are actually more related to your dragons than your account, like sorting or groups).

Keep in mind that for the most part your newest badges show up first, so an encyclopedia badge would eventually be pushed into the "see all" page.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:39 PM, TJ09 said:

I'd rather not add new pinned badges, because there's a fixed number of visible badges and anything pinned detracts from that.

Edited by Shokomon
Updates to the request with clarifications and more info

I'm not against a badge as a nice little reward for spending the time to unlock things, but badges aren't really meant to be "this is an easy entrypoint to a thing" so if that's the real goal there's probably better solutions (I've already been thinking about the fact that too many things are buried under "account"—including things that are actually more related to your dragons than your account, like sorting or groups).

Keep in mind that for the most part your newest badges show up first, so an encyclopedia badge would eventually be pushed into the "see all" page.

Could we make "Unique Breeds" in user stats link to the encyclopedia, like "Growing Dragons" links to egg limits?

164043621_ScreenShot2020-05-01at9_05_12PM.png.f7dc72942f2e729772c3a35a33c507c2.png

+ Support for collecting things badges, maybe an individual area similar to the easter baskets and halloween baskets, but for Encyclopedia badges? A "badge" that holds all the other badges?

Future badge sorting/priority similar to the dragon sorting would be interesting too, since I know some people have coveted badges from ages ago and/or just have certain favorites they'd like to display more prominently.

re: TJ's response / regarding the items hidden under 'account'

Spoiler

Maybe the 'dragons' page could have a drop-down menu that sort of has the encyclopedia and raffle available there? That way the account page functions for hosting more... account-y related things. I guess groups could fit into the dragon-related drop-down too, but menus might be prone to clutter later as the site grows further? I guess it could be added into the ' cave/dragons/trading/etc ' line, but it may off-set and reposition the header image too much. 🤔 

28 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

I figured it be like the Dragon Trophy, Easter basket, and Trick-or-Treat basket, a set badge that would stay at the top of the badge list because unlike the rest of the event badges, the encyclopedia is something you would be actively filling year round, and would change with every new breed.  

And, that was the original discussion for the badge. That you would get more books, or fill the page of the badge as you filled up your encyclopedia. My priorities were just more skewed towards easy of access. I would like the badge to reflect completeness! I know I'm certainly not done with my encyclopedia. 

Lemme port over some of the stuff from the old thread that's still relevant. 

Edit: Relevant artwork~

On 1/12/2015 at 6:35 PM, silverstreak12 said:

user posted image

?

On 1/12/2015 at 11:49 PM, silverstreak12 said:

one: user posted image

two: user posted image

three: user posted image

i'm not sure how well an open book would translate to the encyclopedia but i could give it a shot if people would like :3

On 7/19/2015 at 9:44 PM, zaverxi said:

user posted image

?

On 7/20/2015 at 10:41 PM, zaverxi said:

As a suggestion for filling the encyclopedia, maybe the more dragons you've unlocked, the more words show up on the pages of the book I sprited? biggrin.gif With darker 'text' so you can see it better, of course.

Like how the trick or treat baskets and egg baskets gradually fill up with goodies. wink.gif

Hmm. Decided to try an animation to show gradually filling it up. I can definitely separate it into frames if needed. :3

user posted image

Edited by Shokomon

14 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

I figured it be like the Dragon Trophy, Easter basket, and Trick-or-Treat basket, a set badge that would stay at the top of the badge list because unlike the rest of the event badges, the encyclopedia is something you would be actively filling year round, and would change with every new breed.  

I'd rather not add new pinned badges, because there's a fixed number of visible badges and anything pinned detracts from that.

3 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

Realistically though, how many unpinned badges need to be seen? We've pretty much only have received a badge for Valentines, Halloween, and Christmas each year, and rarely have we gotten any others. (And just looking, all the "not" yearly event badges are fairly old with Beat the Heat from 2010 being the oldest I've seen - the only one I don't have, lol.)  

Even if you'd blocked off the top row, being six badges, for pinned badges, you would still have 6 unpinned badges left, which is two years worth of events.

Unless you're planning some more "not" yearly events (👀), I'm not sure if we need more? I'd be okay with it, but that is just me. 

Support :) I'm always up for a new badge, or just an easyer way to get to encyclopedia.

I have to admit I love the encyclopedia so much great info in there and it's fun seeing it expand but If I'm honest as much as I love it I do forget it's there with it's current placement in the site 

On 5/2/2020 at 3:39 AM, TJ09 said:

I'd rather you didn't too - I'd rather have a link.

And as the encyclopedia grows all the time, if it showed as "achievement" it would go up and down like a yoyo...

I'm with those wanting a direct link. Perhaps it could be tied to the 'Unique Breeds' count on a scroll. That way, a user can click that and see what breed(s) they might be missing.

On 5/1/2020 at 7:08 PM, Stromboli said:

This seems like the best idea for a better/faster link to the encyclopedia, it actually makes a ton of sense for 'unique breeds' to have a link to what is basically a list of all the 'unique breeds'.

I also will say that I'm rather against an 'achievement' type progression-badge in this case, because it doesn't really make any sense for the encyclopedia. There are new breeds added nearly every month, so what exactly would that progression be? You could have the encyclopedia/badge totally completed, but what happens when there are more added that you haven't unlocked, does the badge change to reflect that it's no longer complete? Only thing I can think of that could work is if instead of 'completeness' it focused on actual numbers, like the badge progresses if you unlock 50, than 100, etc, but I have a feeling even that could have issues/flaws.

Spoiler
On 5/1/2020 at 10:08 PM, Stromboli said:

On 5/3/2020 at 9:42 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

I'd rather you didn't too - I'd rather have a link.

And as the encyclopedia grows all the time, if it showed as "achievement" it would go up and down like a yoyo...

On 5/6/2020 at 8:42 AM, ShorahNagi said:

I'm with those wanting a direct link. Perhaps it could be tied to the 'Unique Breeds' count on a scroll. That way, a user can click that and see what breed(s) they might be missing.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:53 AM, HeatherMarie said:

This seems like the best idea for a better/faster link to the encyclopedia, it actually makes a ton of sense for 'unique breeds' to have a link to what is basically a list of all the 'unique breeds'.

I also will say that I'm rather against an 'achievement' type progression-badge in this case, because it doesn't really make any sense for the encyclopedia. There are new breeds added nearly every month, so what exactly would that progression be? You could have the encyclopedia/badge totally completed, but what happens when there are more added that you haven't unlocked, does the badge change to reflect that it's no longer complete? Only thing I can think of that could work is if instead of 'completeness' it focused on actual numbers, like the badge progresses if you unlock 50, than 100, etc, but I have a feeling even that could have issues/flaws.

Taking in to account people comments [in above spoiler], I have adjusted the thread to have a link separate from the badge, because it's a good idea honestly.

... I still would like the badge though.

I'm going with the idea that the idea the badge fills by precentage than by straight numbers, hopefully cutting down the yo-yo-ing of the badge. 

- See the top post explaining the idea.

I think a badge would be nice. It wouldn't really be clutter because only a certain number of badges show on the main page. Of course it would "bump" one of your other badges from there, but you could still see it by clicking "see all."

I definitely would love to have the link, though!

Because I still want a badge, but I'm perfectly fine with a link instead.

Link - yes please. Badge - what would it MEAN ?

Yes please to link (I recently made a specific suggestion thread for a more prominent link...), still don't see how a badge could really work. Just looking at the proposed percentages/numbers in the OP it's already fairly out of date and different after only a year (for example, 20% of the current unique breeds is not 51 or even 52 anymore, it's 55 (55.6, exactly)). Which means that even going by percentages is bound to change over time, if for example I had 53 breeds unlocked when this suggestion was made I would be in the second 'stage' of badge according to the OP, but one year later if I haven't unlocked anything more I'd be dropped down to the first 'stage' now. 

I could get behind using straight numbers, like just getting a one-time badge after you've unlocked 100 full entries, but any sort of progressive badge based on percentages just isn't going to stay consistent. 

3 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Yes please to link (I recently made a specific suggestion thread for a more prominent link...), still don't see how a badge could really work. Just looking at the proposed percentages/numbers in the OP it's already fairly out of date and different after only a year (for example, 20% of the current unique breeds is not 51 or even 52 anymore, it's 55 (55.6, exactly)). Which means that even going by percentages is bound to change over time, if for example I had 53 breeds unlocked when this suggestion was made I would be in the second 'stage' of badge according to the OP, but one year later if I haven't unlocked anything more I'd be dropped down to the first 'stage' now. 

I could get behind using straight numbers, like just getting a one-time badge after you've unlocked 100 full entries, but any sort of progressive badge based on percentages just isn't going to stay consistent. 

So many be something like the bronze trophy?

Once you get 50 fully unlocked entries, you get the badge?

Do we have 50 full entries (with actual text rather than just the sprites?)

3 hours ago, Shokomon said:

So many be something like the bronze trophy?

Once you get 50 fully unlocked entries, you get the badge?

Do we have 50 full entries (with actual text rather than just the sprites?)

According to the wiki, yup! I only randomly checked a handful from that list but yeah there definitely seems to be well over 50 full entries. That sounds like a good requirement-level for the badge.

So, thing we would like:

1. A link to the encyclopedia (probably attached to the "Unique Breeds" text at the top of the Dragons Page)

2. An Badge for the encyclopedia you can get after fully unlocking 50 encyclopedia entries.

We actually have enough to make it 100 entries. (We have exactly 101 according to the wiki.)

So which achievement would be better? 50 entries or 100 entries? 50 would be easier, but I just like 100 as an achievement number. Maybe something stepwise? 

• If we go with the sprites we have, maybe at 50, you get the badge with either a half-filled book or a single closed book.
  • After 100 entries, the badge upgrades to a filled book or a 2nd book in the "shelf."
    • If we do have it stepwise like this, it may be better to used the closed book version, so that every time we reach a set of 50 possible entries, another book can be added to the shelf.

What do you all think?

I have no opinions for the link, but I like the idea of a badge, and the book sprites are really pretty ! 😊

I love this idea because I just started playing a couple months ago and immediately one of the most fun/addictive draws is trying to complete the encyclopedia (both sprites and lore). It would be neat to have even just the smallest commemoration like a badge. And yeah, I'm with the people wanting a link to it from the dragons page :3