CryptidUni

More use for Marketplace

Introduction: Hi. Welcome to the topic of making the Market a bit more useful. 

Bless the Market it’s really good but my idea is maybe letting us buy more egg slots or hatchling slots. I know we already can obtain slots via trophy but I think we need more slots

Body: How it might work and how to limit the over-flooding.

“Price curve and max slots”:

Bronze: +1 egg slots, +2 hatchling slots available for around 9k-10k shards per slot
Silver: +1 egg slots, +2 hatchling slots  available for around 20k-30k shards per slot

Gold: +1 egg slots, +2 hatchling slots  available for around 50k-70k shards per slot 

Platinum: +1 egg slots, +2 hatchling slots  available for around 70k-100k shards per slot and etc

Basically put limit on the slots you can buy via Trophy and amount of Shards you have. Or you could require some type of dragon that has “Dig” BSA which let’s you have more space for a shard, of course still limited to your Trophy tier.

Conclusion: I don’t have a biggest idea atm so feel free to criticize this topic.

Edit 2: My ideas aren’t very creative but I do like the idea of temporary slots more now.

Edits & criticism:

Jazeki said:

Can you explain your breakdown in pricing a bit more? Why is there an approximate cost that's so broad? Why doesn't every level get an equal amount of slots? Is it 500 for one slot, 2000 for two, etc.? Are the slots permanent and infinite? So, I could theoretically buy at least 3 extra slots every six months?

Fuzzbucket said:

No support for buying egg slots. Or indeed, anything but eggs.

...But if you could buy them they should cost a MINIMUM of 10,000 shards EACH.

Ruby Eyes said:

Personally, I think your prices are too low. An eggslot should be more valuable than the most expensive creatures in the Market. 

Getting an egg from the cave (5 shards) + hatching it (3 shards) + raising it to adulthood (3 shards) = 11 shards per self-caught-and-raised adult. Doing that 1000 times (platinum trophy) gets you 11000 shards, though you need to pace that so you don't surpass your weekly limit. That's 110 weeks = 2 years and some.

I think 11k should be the absolute minimum for a slot of any sort, even if it's only a temporary slot.

Edited by CryptidUni

Eh. I'm iffy on this. I'd rather TJ just give us more slots naturally.

Also, can you explain your breakdown in pricing a bit more? Why is there an approximate cost that's so broad? Why doesn't every level get an equal amount of slots? Is it 500 for one slot, 2000 for two, etc.? Are the slots permanent and infinite? So, I could theoretically buy at least 3 extra slots every six months?

1 hour ago, CryptidUni said:

Conclusion: I don’t have a biggest idea atm so feel free to criticize this topic.

I do feel inclined to criticize this topic - its title makes me wince XD

Personally, I think your prices are too low. An eggslot should be more valuable than the most expensive creatures in the Market.

No support for buying egg slots. Or indeed, anything but eggs.

The marketplace doesn't need to be "made great again". It IS great. After YEARS of failing to fill my CB gold scroll goals - I was able to save up for them. That's FAR more important than trying to rush to buy slots. Which you get by collecting and breeding.

But if you could buy them they should cost a MINIMUM of 10,000 shards EACH.

The point of the trophies is to reward your collecting by giving you more room to collect with once you hit required milestones. While I'd love more slots (who wouldn't?), hasn't TJ shot down adding non-egg things to the Market before? Granted, that could change but only TJ can speak on that.

Is it eggslots only, or a random mix of eggslots  and hatchie slots? Would these extra slots carry over as you advance in Trophies (i would think so but it's not stated so gotta ask)? Would you only be able to buy, say, the slots from Gold once, or can I keep buying them and get myself as many slots at that tier as I please if I have the shards to spare? Would a higher trophy user be able to buy the slots listed at lower trophy levels?

With this, it kinda just lets you pay to win in terms of boosting your slots. You wouldn't need to collect a certain number of dragons past Bronze to get more slots, you could just buy them and get the perks of a higher trophy user. And since Platinum isn't listed, unless you could buy slots at the lower levels, does that kick them out of obtaining more slots? There's a lot of stuff that would need explanation if this was to be a thing.

Also, agreed on the point of the prices being too low. If this was implemented, 10k+ should be a minimum. Extra slots are pretty valuable, especially around release times when everyone is clamoring to get moremoremore in case that shiny new egg becomes the next mega-rare.

Edited by animatedrose
editted because yeah, to get the shards to purchase said slot, kinda need to be active

1 minute ago, animatedrose said:

with none of the work

Except that you need to be active in order to earn shards, so "none" isn't quite correct.

Getting an egg from the cave (5 shards) + hatching it (3 shards) + raising it to adulthood (3 shards) = 11 shards per self-caught-and-raised adult. Doing that 1000 times (platinum trophy) gets you 11000 shards, though you need to pace that so you don't surpass your weekly limit. That's 110 weeks = 2 years and some.

I think 11k should be the absolute minimum for a slot of any sort, even if it's only a temporary slot.

This all sounds most of all like a new player wanting to up their trophy level faster than looks possible...

46 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The marketplace doesn't need to be "made great again". It IS great. After YEARS of failing to fill my CB gold scroll goals - I was able to save up for them. That's FAR more important than trying to rush to buy slots.

This. Getting the marketplace was a hard fought battle. Admittedly once I get my scroll goals of CB Golds I may not use it much, but I don't think adding the purchase of extra slots would make it any greater. Personally I am against that.

I'm not sure how you arrived at your levels. They seem a bit arbitrary. Are you allowing for gold trophy level to buy up to 5 extra slots, but nothing more (or is it nothing at all?) for platinum? And I agree that slots should be priced MUCH higher if they were to be made available for purchase.

Hard no.

Also pretty sure TJ has said we wont be getting anymore egg slots. Yes he can change his mind but he's shot down every suggestion to do so for years now.

unironically love the title

As much as I want more egg slots, I think they should be tied to new trophy levels-- this isn't the way to go about it, I think.

Isn't this just why we have trophy levels anyhow? I don't really see why we need this, and I feel that it is unlikely to happen.

I'd prefer to continue keeping the market as simply eggs from the biomes. Slots are best kept just related to trophies - which seems to echo how many people are feeling.

5 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I do feel inclined to criticize this topic - its title makes me wince XD

Agree (to everything here!). Eggslots are not on equal level as buying an egg. For many reasons, but to me the thing that jumps out is that buying an egg from the Market is a singular thing. You buy the egg, raise it, it's an adult. That's it. You can breed from it, sure, but you aren't continually getting more just because you bought it once. Buying eggslots, at least this specific suggestion, would be a permanent addition. So you would permanently have this extra space to use, permanently have this advantage that you can use constantly.

I also have questions: Are these bought slots in addition to each trophy as you earn them, or just additions for that specific trophy? It just doesn't really make sense combined with the trophy levels. If you can buy 1 eggslot with a Bronze trophy, that kicks you up to Silver trophy levels before you earn that trophy. Each trophy gives you *one* more eggslot... So through the Market you can obtain *more* eggslots than the highest trophy? That doesn't seem right at all. 

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

This all sounds most of all like a new player wanting to up their trophy level faster than looks possible...

Honestly, yeah. Wasn't going to say that, but yeah. Trophies are there for a reason. We get additional slots as we reach trophies, as we *work* on building our scroll. A suggestion like this just seems intended to make the Trophies, and the work that goes into getting them, fairly useless. 

7 hours ago, Jazeki said:

Eh. I'm iffy on this. I'd rather TJ just give us more slots naturally.

Also, can you explain your breakdown in pricing a bit more? Why is there an approximate cost that's so broad? Why doesn't every level get an equal amount of slots? Is it 500 for one slot, 2000 for two, etc.? Are the slots permanent and infinite? So, I could theoretically buy at least 3 extra slots every six months?

Ah sorry about the unclarity, egg slots limited to the trophy just like the normal unlock-able slots. But this additional ones rather being free you have to work for it. But I have edited the original post little bit better.

6 hours ago, purplehaze said:

This. Getting the marketplace was a hard fought battle. Admittedly once I get my scroll goals of CB Golds I may not use it much, but I don't think adding the purchase of extra slots would make it any greater. Personally I am against that.

I'm not sure how you arrived at your levels. They seem a bit arbitrary. Are you allowing for gold trophy level to buy up to 5 extra slots, but nothing more (or is it nothing at all?) for platinum? And I agree that slots should be priced MUCH higher if they were to be made available for purchase.

Sorry, the original post was bit unconfident. I fixed it a bit now. :) 

27 minutes ago, CryptidUni said:

Ah sorry about the unclarity, egg slots limited to the trophy just like the normal unlock-able slots. But this additional ones rather being free you have to work for it. But I have edited the original post little bit better.

In which case I see even less of a point you'll acquire trophies far faster than shards. 

35 minutes ago, CryptidUni said:

I have a platinum trophy. Do those also fall under the gold category? Or not?

10 hours ago, CryptidUni said:

Body: How it might work and how to limit the over-flooding.

“Price curve and max slots”:

Bronze: +1 egg slots, +2 hatchling slots available for around 9k-10k shards per slot
Silver: +1 egg slots, +2 hatchling slots  available for around 40k-50k shards per slot

Gold: +1 egg slots, +2 hatchling slots  available for around 90k-100k shards per slot and etc

And now it seems you've gone too far the other way. Your original shard costs were too low, with a rather large and unhelpful range, but these are extremely high. For reference: a player who gets max shards every week will earn roughly 5,210 shards a year. So, it would be reasonable imo to start costs at 5,200 or so, that would make players save up for a full year without buying anything in the meantime. With your adjusted costs here, it would take a dedicated player at least 7 and a half *years* to be able to afford the extra eggs for the Silver. I'm not even going to do calculations for the Gold. 

I really think you should take awhile to get familiar with the game and how things work and the pacing and such, before making these kind of suggestions. You obviously aren't familiar with shard limits and how long it takes to collect them. Your other suggestion also seems to lack knowledge of how this game works. I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to point you in the right direction. 

Edited by HeatherMarie

23 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

And now it seems you've gone too far the other way. Your original shard costs were too low, with a rather large and unhelpful range, but these are extremely high. For reference: a player who gets max shards every week will earn roughly 5,210 shards a year. So, it would be reasonable imo to start costs at 5,200 or so, that would make players save up for a full year without buying anything in the meantime. With your adjusted costs here, it would take a dedicated player at least 7 and a half *years* to be able to afford the extra eggs for the Silver. I'm not even going to do calculations for the Gold. 

I really think you should take awhile to get familiar with the game and how things work and the pacing and such, before making these kind of suggestions. You obviously aren't familiar with shard limits and how long it takes to collect them. Your other suggestion also seems to lack knowledge of how this game works. I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to point you in the right direction. 

I understand, thank you for your addition. These would be a permanent slots so I thought, hmm yes @/Ruby eyes have a good point. But you’re correct too.
So instead of perma slots, how does temporary slots that are cheaper but expires as soon as the egg hatches.

Indeed I am not fully familiar with the game but I’ll try my best understand it.

(Also yes I am aware of 100 shards a week)

Edited by CryptidUni

17 minutes ago, CryptidUni said:

So instead of perma slots, how does temporary slots that are cheaper but expires as soon as the egg hatches.

What would be the purpose?  If all your slots are full you wait a couple days.  a slot that only lasts 2 days is silly.

12 hours ago, CryptidUni said:

Silver: +1 egg slots, +2 hatchling slots  available for around 20k-30k shards per slot

Gold: +1 egg slots, +2 hatchling slots  available for around 50k-70k shards per slot 

Platinum: +1 egg slots, +2 hatchling slots  available for around 70k-100k shards per slot and etc

So, let's say I have a bronze trophy, and I buy the extra egg and hatchling slots, so let's say 30k spent. That takes me from 5/15 to 6/18

What happens when I get to the silver trophy level? Do I keep my extra slots that I paid for, or does the new trophy replace them. Do I stay at 6/18, as that is silver level? Or do I get extra slots, since I paid for them when I was only bronze?

If we get to keep the slots when we buy them at bronze level, that is inherently unfair to those of us who would have to pay 100k to get 1 slot at platinum level. It would make it that people would dump adults to get to a lower level to buy slots cheaper.

If they are only there until we go to the next trophy, people would be wasting shards on temp extra slots.

No support from me on this.

I would love to see a plutonium trophy (or something like that) for those of us with 20k dragons.

7 hours ago, CryptidUni said:

So instead of perma slots, how does temporary slots that are cheaper but expires as soon as the egg hatch

7 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

In which case I see even less of a point you'll acquire trophies far faster than shards. 

Quite. (And I can't see anyone who plays seriously wasting shards on a temporary slot, and delaying buying that dragon they really NEED that much longer.)

I'm not sure about buying or renting egg slots in general. Not too fond of the idea, not too much against it, I suppose. However, the pricing suggested is atrocious. Because you cannot buy these things when you have a bronze trophy unless you collect thousands of dragons - and release or kill them afterwards. That's not what DC is about.

Also, 70 k for platinum trophy players - do you have any idea how long you'd have to have been playing for this? You can only earn 100 shards per week, so 70k shards take 700 weeks - or (almost) 14 years. DC is going to celebrate its 14th birthday next month. The "earn shards, buy stuff at market" was introduced for DC's 12th birthday, so less than 2 years ago. Just to give you a little bit of framework.

The logical result of your proposed pricing is that people would save up a number of years, then purge their scrolls to go back to bronze trophy, buy their extras then - and re-do their scrolls.

15 hours ago, purplehaze said:

The battle was not only hard-fought, but also a very drawn-out thing. How many years of discussions did it take again?

ETA: Well, I could see myself renting some extra slots for the holiday seasons - as long as the slot doesn't expire as soon as the egg/hatchling leaves the scroll/isn't growing any more, but the slot stays active for a certain amount of time (1 week? 2 weeks?) However, this largely depends on the price.

Edited by olympe

38 minutes ago, olympe said:

ETA: Well, I could see myself renting some extra slots for the holiday seasons - as long as the slot doesn't expire as soon as the egg/hatchling leaves the scroll/isn't growing any more, but the slot stays active for a certain amount of time (1 week? 2 weeks?) However, this largely depends on the price.

I would also maybe rent holiday slots if they were very cheap, but I'm not fond of paying shards for something that isn't permanent. I'd rather buy the dragons I need instead.