skwerl56767

[Open] The Forsaken World

There was a pause in the sound, as Vaz called out to it. They trained their senses on the space above them, wishing the reach of their ability to read auras would extend beyond a few feet in front of them for once. Through the shadows they could make out the slightest, minuscule sense of smudged handwriting by an indecisive hand. Smaalvir. The voice in their head suggested, a weedy little demon who favoured the guise of a businessman most days. They worked for Malvorin but they were pretty low on the chain of command the last time Vaz had spoken to them, outranked by a few hellhounds even. Vaz didn’t relax as such, but the blade of the tail did curl away from the shadows slightly as they pocketed the thorn for later study.

“State your message and leave, Smaalvir. I am in no mood to entertain Malvorin’s threats right now.”

Now, Vaz was expecting the slimy little demon to descend in front of them after that. So when two hissing reptiles tumbled out of the shadows, covered in the blood of Vaz’s own kind, Vaz nearly fainted from the shock. A screech burst from their fanged maw and they scurried backwards at an inhuman speed, immediately trying to distance themselves from the two raptors. Their wings soon smacked against the side of a metal dumpster which blocked that path, but Vaz continued undeterred and scrambled wildly for a foothold until they finally were able to hoist themselves up onto the lid of the large container.

They were perched on top of the dumpster, wings flared as best as they could in the cramped conditions and spitting Oldspeak profanities at the new arrivals, when they first heard one of the raptors speak.

Mighty hunter Vaz.

Vaz blinked. Which took a while, for they had many eyes to track and they were all currently focused on Askee-ah even if only the usual two were visible. The wings faltered, slightly, the colourful and flowery language dying on their tongue as they squinted over at the reptilian duo.

We seek a pack alliance.

Vaz was well-travelled, and long lived. They had seen these creatures before, centuries and centuries ago, but never knew them to have the power of speech. The fear faltered, curiosity bubbling to the surface as they flipped to the page on ‘dinosaurs’ in their head and furiously started to jot down some new insights.

“I...don’t mean to tell you both how to live your lives, but I think you’re meant to be extinct?” 

Vaz hadn’t meant it as an insult or threat by any means, it was said with a dazed sort of confusion as the ancient demon questioned whether they should strike that fact from the record. They had mentioned an alliance, which intrigued Vaz. It would be rude to run away screaming without at least finding out if the odd beasts were even capable of holding a quill well enough to sign anything. Vaz never really liked Smaalvir anyway, knowing that Malvorin was short one more goon was surprisingly comforting despite the stench of Ikaar in the air.

“Could you...tell me more about the nature of this alliance? What are its terms? Who is involved? What do you offer that I can not provide myself, and vice-versa?”

“Wait, Gee-Zia?”

Repeated the demon, interrupting themselves before the talk of alliances had a chance to develop. Vaz repeated the name, about to say they had no idea who that was until their mind had played around with the rough syllables enough to form a suggestion.

“Ah. You speak of Argia?”

Offered Vaz, the previous mentions of balance finally clueing them in to the garbled attempt at her name. Their thoughts flickered back to the harbinger and the park, a slight frown forming. Vaz would have to make sure of their promise and return to her once they managed to return ‘Illsund’ to its usual owner. The chain seared at their flesh again, so Vaz smacked it against the wall a few more times as they considered the raptors before them.

“I am...vague...on her current whereabouts. Why do you seek her? Are you Kirit and Meztli?”

Edited by Lycanious

[[I'd love to put in Jorath's direct response to Vaz mentioning Fi'Faltuun, but I can't realistically put that in and somehow make it smooth reading/transition :V So, have idle thoughts later about it instead.

Also, I'm totally going to play on the idea that each time Vaz smacks that chain around, it has a very subtle effect within Jorath's mind.]]

Part of him wanted to consume Neil, too. It made sense to remove the only other witness to Jorath's presence at Hailey's apartment. And he still hungered, even if he was no longer starved. He shook off the desire. Neil would be better served under the influence of his Realm than he would as raw sustenance. There was just something... unsatisfying, about prey being coaxed into what he needed than letting them fall into it naturally. Running fingers through his hair, he gave Neil an easy smile.

"You just want me to go about my days like normal?" the human asked, nose scrunching with bemusement.

"Mostly." Jorath shrugged. Not for the last time, he wondered why he was bothering with it. I promised Gabriel adequate power if she desires it. He wasn't certain if the reminder was convincing enough. Stepping closer to Neil, Jorath lightly draped his arm against the man's shoulder. The human's potential teased his senses. "You're an interesting human with some talents up your sleeve that I could cultivate and use." Normally, Jorath wanted something more... binding, but while Vaz had possession of his chain, Jorath couldn't trust the risks. 

"Briefly." 

Right. Jorath knew how much Vaz loathed that chain. He couldn't blame them because he hated it, too. And, no matter how often he tried, no matter what method, Jorath couldn't break the infernal length of silver. Maybe it was for the best that he couldn't do such a thing himself. He had no idea what would happen if it did break. Most of him hoped it would be death but, knowing his track record, it likely wouldn't be. 

Neil was speaking, but Jorath had mostly stopped listening, letting the mortal rattle on about something. It was on a tangent. Shifting so that he could grab Neil's shoulder instead of just leaning on it, Jorath turned his senses inward to what he could understand of the human. Neil was a simple mortal, with a penchant for little disturbances. And latent desires that had gone mostly ignored. Jorath could foster those, bring them out more and gear Neil into something much more potent for his Realm. The thought was both enticing and sickening to Jorath. He didn't feel so alone, knowing that there were mortals capable of being as wretched as he was. And I'm the monster that brings them out of the woodworks.

He'd long ago ceased asking for forgiveness when it became clear he would never be worthy of such a thing.

Jorath patted Neil's shoulder twice before pulling away. "Start with the little things and work up. You want people to trust you with something private? Convince them. You do that, you can get what you want from them." His gaze drifted, searching the street with no true target. "You have to make people vulnerable around you willingly. The best way to do that is to convince them you want nothing from them in return. Make them believe what you want them to...." His voice trailed off. After a moment, he inhaled deeply, blinked and stood straighter, returning his gaze to Neil. "You're a patient man. Keep to that, stick to what I can do for you, and you'll have everything you want."

"And what do you get in return?" Neil gave him a curious glance. 

A smirk played with his lips. "Absolutely nothing."

Neil snorted. "Liar." The man was grinning though and Jorath could sense him contemplating it. "Alright. I'll heed your advice. Do I call on you for any reason?"

Jorath nodded. "You already do, to an extent. Ever thought you deserved something in particular? Ever considered yourself better than the other guy who got what you should have, instead?" He watched Neil puzzle over that, realization entering the mortal's eyes. "Exactly. You can call me whatever you think fits; I'll still find you." He started to make a dismissive gesture, taking a few steps away, before pausing and making it look like he was remembering something else. "Oh, and, if you have a chance... Feel free to chat up your friends. I'm sure they'd be interested in what I have to offer, too. I'll be around." 

He walked away, leaving Neil behind as a seed planted in toxic soil to bloom a hideous bud and shed its spores. 

Once he was certain to be out of Neil's sight, Jorath pinched the bridge of his nose. He almost stopped walking but forced his legs to continue moving. He told himself it was necessary. Make ugly decisions in order to reach a beautiful goal. That's how it was, wasn't? Besides, he only needed to foster a little growth until Gabriel decided if she wanted a bargain or not. After that, it would either be up to her efforts to gather more power or he could let it all fetter out. 

How long had he left his chain in Vaz's care? Regardless, he needed to return and get it back. It wasn't much of a secret to Jorath that Vaz would be left miserable with it. Frustrated, more particularly. He saw it all the time, lurking beneath their features. How their gaze never quite revealed what was under the surface. Though, when Jorath wasn't looking, he couldn't know what Vaz might be up to about it. Probably trying to gnaw their own arm off, if they had any proper sense. Unease threatened to settle in his stomach but he couldn't determine where it came from. 

Jorath stopped walking, lifting his gaze from the ground and stiffening. 

He was missing something. Or, at least, he thought he was missing something. Can't trust this... Shooting a glance over his shoulder, Jorath resumed walking, this time more alert. It was a few streets later when he put recognition to what he was feeling. Something followed him, though he couldn't pinpoint what or from where. Let alone when it started. All he knew was that it hovered at the edges of his awareness. Hunting.

He couldn't lead it to Vaz, not when he'd already set Ditraxol on his friend's heels through mere association. It was probably another one of Malvorin's pawns, keeping tabs to make sure he "played nice" as Ditraxol mentioned. There still hadn't been any blowback to his Realm after the breached bargain. Which only made Jorath's unease grow. He'd given Malvorin a hefty portion and, sooner or later, something was going to happen with it.

Jorath pushed through a growing crowd of humans, staying within the mass of bodies until he could decide what he wanted to do about the unknown hunter skulking after him. They were just outside of his reach to detect their aura. Has to be someone I worked with before. But who knew the limitations of his senses? It wasn't a very large number because he liked to keep the specifics of his abilities closely guarded. Vaz was a possibility, but he'd know if it were Vaz following him, even without sensing their aura. Maybe that little fool of a Seeker, Hyelou? Jorath had caught her snooping around his area of residence some months back.

He could lure the tracker to a place of his choice, find out what they wanted. But that would leave Vaz alone with his chain for much longer than either he or them would appreciate. And who knew what would happen? He'd fed, allowing the strain to ease enough for the next few weeks without trouble. Yes. Vaz would have to endure a little while more. At least until Jorath knew what was following him. Decision made, he slipped out from the throng of mortals and started moving to a more isolated space. Let's see what you're about.

Edited by ValidEmotions

((I'm just imagining several raptors running around and getting themselves into trouble so often and I'm dying. XD Then you have the sword over here going full attack mode.))

Gabriel intently listened to Askee-ah's explanation. So it's like rain... the energy that is life flows through the whole cycle, sometimes being what sustains life or being life itself. She still had some confusion as to where Askee-ah fit in all of it (only just now putting together she had to be 'bigger' than just a single mortal raptor). So she had created the careful balance for life yet her resurrection could have very easily tipped the scales the wrong way. Especially in a new world such as this where raptors didn't quite fit in anymore (though could quite easily adapt as it had already been seen). Gabriel wondered if she had to have corrected the balance to compensate for her and her raptors and how she did it. Maybe she was just thinking of it too rigidly in the basis of what she knew of balance. 

Blinking away the vision Gabe adjusted the jacket and began following Askee-ah again. They came upon an old movie theater and she almost kept walking, not expecting Askee-ah to stop here of all places. Walking in it was similar to what she expected to see. Besides the raptors of course. "Thank you very much for providing me solace. Assisting an angel never goes unforgotten." She turned to look at the man on the stairs and tensed. For the most part she avoided contact with humans given her vulnerabilities and the current mood towards angels. This man seemed much more interested in the raptor, so much so she doubted that he had even noticed their entrance. "Is he..." What would she even ask? An angel hater? She tucked her now visible wings tighter to her back uneasily. Surely Askee-ah wouldn't have put her in danger but it seemed like maybe she didn't know the full extent of human-angel-hatred. If he does try something I don't think he'd be much of a threat. 

(In the back of Gabriel's head: I wonder where my sword is? It can get a little overzealous on its own. 

Eh I'm sure it's fine.)

Askee-ah regarded Vaz, crouched atop the dumpster with what appeared to be wings much like Argia's and Gabriel's flared out defensively.

That was unusual, a demon's wings were usually skin membranes like those of the deadly saurian fliers she remembered from ages past.

And she realized that she had indeed botched her entrance, Vaz appeared to have been terrified rather than impressed. 

She knew she needed to change her approach if she was to be successful here, but that realization clashed with her instincts to show proper decorum by looking as fierce and unafraid as possible. The end result was a rather sheepish mannerism when either of the raptors made an occassional motion of fierceness-posturing out of instinct.

She made the motions to speak with Vaz.

("I was extinct, yes.")

The two raptors hissed and swooped thier claws and tails to each other for a moment. Askee-ah carefully structured her power so that Vaz was not privy to this conversation.

At last both raptors turned back to Vaz, extending her power again and making the motions and calls to speak.

("I desire the strength and fierceness of my pack run alongside yours. A greater pack can bring down bigger prey.")

One if the raptors punctuated that with a spitting hiss and a claw swipe.

("I seek the territory-path the winged-danger-flier called her own. You are packmates yes?") 

It occured to Askee-ah that the gesture for danger-flier could apply to Vaz just as well, but they had seemed to work out what she meant.

She tilted her head as Vaz smacked thier own arm against the wall, worrying they might have caught madness-fever from Jorath. They certainly had Jorath's scent, maybe they'd been sharing a kill or had both eaten prey infected by the sickness.

She would have to keep a close watch on them, if they agreed to an alliance.

("I seek the territory-path she seeks.") 

Askee-ah answered, shaking herself a little. Talking to humans and beings that looked human meant working out how to stretch her native language in convoluted ways it was never intended for. Raptors didn't ask such complicated questions.

She tilted her head at the mention of "Kirit" and "Meztli." They might have made good raptor names, accounting for differences in pronunciation, but she didn't know them.

("No.") She made a gesture.

("I am Askee-ah.") Both raptors "said" this in sync, to drive home the point.

("We can't track her scent through the sky") One of the raptors gestured and called, both to the other raptor and to Vaz.

("An alliance for now? To seek her?") The other gestured.

[Elsewhere]

Askee-ah found the site of Jorath's kill some time after he'd gone.

The demon's scent led through a doorway and into a building. A heavy, fierce, predatory sense of a hunter permeated beyond the door, she could admire that, but the room also stank of that sickness that worried her.

A human's body lay there in the close space, untouched save for a pair of wounds. Askee-ah crouched and sniffed. One smelled of a bite, but not even a part of the corpse had been bitten off and consumed.

In her mind only a truly degenerate hunter would kill and not eat what it killed.

She sniffed at the body again. No... it was... drained. Empty of life essence. Dead things were more so than living creatures, obviously, but some amount always remained with a corpse, the lingering forces of decay and fleeting scraps of power, like the knowledge she found in demon flesh. 

She stood and puzzled over that. Could a being eat only the life essence of its kill and leave the rest untouched? It seemed very strange.

Askee-ah didn't want to linger. She paused by the doorway of the building, listening, then quickly darted through it into the gloom between streetlights and windows. From there she picked up Jorath's scent again.

She followed him for a while, watching carefully for erratic behavior, fear of light and water, and any sign he might suddenly attack the humans he shared the streets with. She couldn't see any of those things, but that wasn't a sure indication he wasn't sick.

Askes-ah knew more than well enough how sickness spread through a pack, from pack to prey, from prey to other packs. It was part of the natural order, and ordinarily she wouldn't have thought anything of acting to stop the flow of that, indeed she *couldn't* have chosen to if she was still as deeply linked to the natural world as she had been. But she had changed, and without realizing it had decided to act on what she considered an importance beyond the natural order. If Jorath was infected he risked infecting the rest of the pack she sought alliance with, and he would have to be killed quickly.

Jorath seemed to pick up on her presence, looking over his shoulder now and then. Curiously, he chose to move into a less crowded area, an act of deliberately choosing the ground for an encounter. In many situations that might have worried her, but for this one it suited her intentions well enough.

She guaged the distance from the rooftop carefully.

It would be a very long leap with a risk of injury if she didn't land just right. She would have to take a good deal of the force of the landing on her own body, not wanting to kill or injure Jorath uneccesarily.

She moved swiftly and pounced. The demon's senses alerted him, but not quickly enough to escape. His movement meant Askee-ah didn't land perfectly, the impact hammered into one leg, but she still flattened Jorath to the ground with one killing claw pressed above his heart.

She stuck the end of her muzzle close enough to his face to nearly touch him, baring her teeth and sniffing deeply, glaring with one eye into Jorath's own, looking for a particular involuntary eye movement that marked the mental degredation of madness-fever.

No. Jorath's sickness had a source, clearly, but it was not the one she had feared.

She hissed and tried to extricate herself where she had landed atop the demon.

[[D: How rude, Askee-ah.... You totally forgot to close the door after leaving Hailey's house lmao I'm kidding

Also, I'm just loving how this entire thread has kept a consistent theme in using alleyways.]]

As he drew closer to an isolated space, the being slid further within reach of his awareness. At last, he could detect their aura. Briefly, he was surprised at the familiarity of it, not expecting to have another encounter so soon with the creature that felt like wind through the trees and the fresh scent of the earth mixed with blood. Askee-ah. Jorath slowed to a stop halfway down an alley, keeping his back to the entrance until he felt the reptile approach. He took a step forward and started to turn, anticipating the raptor on the ground. Only to wind up with a heavy weight slamming into his chest. The back of his head kissed the concrete and he snarled from the pain, unable to bring a hand up to clutch at his temple. 

The pressure on his chest kept him still, but only out of patience once the pain ebbed from his skull. Her muzzle came down to his face, an eye studying him. He stared unblinkingly and, mostly, unbothered by her inspection. Maybe she had forgotten who he was and thought he'd been prey. He'd only stuck around for a short moment after she'd appeared and Gabriel took up the offer for protection. But, no. She had greater intelligence than that. "Hello, Askee-ah," he said once he realized that it might have been some other motivation that drove her to tackle him. 

Waiting as she stepped back, noticing how delicate she was about not catching him with the hooked claw of her foot, Jorath picked himself up once there was space for him. Running his fingers through dark hair, he grinned at the reptile. "Well, that's one way to get my attention. Although, if you wanted to have a conversation with me, might I suggest a more standard face-to-face?" He dusted off his clothes, sweeping a hand over his sleeve and straightening his jacket. "Exciting as that was, you're not as... light, as most bodies can handle. Wouldn't do you any good to accidentally puncture a lung with broken ribs before you had a chance to speak with whom you wanted." 

Clothes adjusted, Jorath stuffed his hands into his pockets. "Now, to what do I owe the honor?"

Edited by ValidEmotions

(( XD I’m pretty sure this city doesn’t actually have any open streets at this point. ))

Vaz fidgeted as the two studied them, their intelligent eyes glancing over the wings in particular. Though they were polite enough not to question Vaz about the mangled state they were in, it still made them feel rather self-conscious about having them on display. Vaz folded them down, slowly, the massive wings pressing against their back for a moment until they finally dissolved out of sight once more. They still didn’t quite feel safe enough to jump down from their dumpster pedestal, but now all that remained of their demonic form was their horns.

“I am...pleased to hear that, then? I was unaware that death was only a temporary inconvenience for your kind.”

Vaz had to wonder what Argia would say on the matter, given her apparent role in putting souls to rest before beings like Vaz could get their claws on them. They had trouble understanding why it would be such an issue to have freedom of choice over the matter if one could just reverse an honest mistake.

“I find myself flattered, but I am unsure if I am the strength you seek.”

Mused Vaz, finally deciding that these odd creatures would make for pleasant conversation though and crouching down to sit along the edge of the dumpster.  They placed their hands in their lap, clutching at the silver chain to try to dampen its influence. It made it hard for Vaz to properly concentrate on their body language.

Ah, that was it, they were seeking Argia rather than Vaz themself. Made as much sense as the rest of this encounter, Vaz rather doubted they needed them personally unless they had some tax files or something to go over. Maybe they did. Whose to say that a talking raptor wouldn’t have to manage their own financial situation from time to time?

Vaz looked them up and down a few times. Despite their cruel appearance and the remains of Smaalvir coating them, they didn’t feel particularly threatening. And the talk of alliances rather than expected favours was...oddly pleasing. Unfamiliar, but pleasing. Vaz would oblige, for now. 

“Very well, I accept your offer ‘Askee-ah’. Nil lokis, nil xaal’strund.”

Vaz slid off the metal container, scooping up their discarded trench coat and making sure to give the chain one final, snarling smack against the ground this time.

“But first I must wait for my...”

Vaz wasn’t quite familiar with the social structure of raptors, not enough to explain all the complexities and intricacies of how Vaz perceived the sort of company they kept. The scholarly demon had enough trouble wrapping their mind around it themselves. Did raptors have a word for ‘snarky git with terrible dress sense’? What had the raptors called Argia again?

“...Another packmate, first. A different one. But after he returns I will attempt to take you to her, providing your intentions are benign.”

Edited by Lycanious

[in the Searchlight Theatre]

Askee-ah was pleased Gabriel had found the nest satisfactory in spite of the commotion of its other inhabitants.

She noticed Gabriel tense at the sight of the other human. She couldnt guess precisely why the angel was worried, but she thought it best to resolve the uncertainty now rather than later.

("Safe.") She called to Gabriel, and then called more loudly over to the human. He looked up, listening and watching Askee-ah speak.

"Oh, hello." The man adjusted his glasses, made a 'begone' gesture to the raptor who was hissing a rude noise at him, and stood up. He stooped again to put down his sketch pad and pencils, and walked toward Gabriel.

"I'm Dr. Harkon. Stephen Harkon." He held out a hand, looking a little out of his depth as he noticed Gabriel's wings. But he politely avoided looking too obvious about noticing "I'm, uh, not particularly religeous." He said it as though not quite sure whether to be apologetic about that. His other hand brushed the metal raptor's claw on the chain, and he smiled from a place of warm, genuine humor. "Funny how that works out."

He noticed the blood that showed on Gabriel's shirt.

"Are you hurt? I'm, um, a doctor of paleontology, not medicine, but I've got some first aid supplies in the back... Trust this lot not to show that they notice." He gestured to the raptors. "Its an instinctive response for them, prey animals don't like to show vulnerability so they tend to assume that if you're not falling over you're fine."

One of the raptors hissed at him. "I said what I said." He shouted back. "I've seen how big your fossils are."

[In the alley with Vaz]

Askee-ah was pleased that she hadn't scared Vaz badly enough to totally ruin her chances of making an alliance, even if Vaz themselves claimed not to be strong and didn't seem to find a full alliance suitable. Askee-ah was interested in allying with Vaz from the standpoint that they smelled and felt powerful, even if she didn't know what that power was or did. But she didn't know how to explain that idea at the moment and was too tired of talking to figure it out.

("This is good. I will wait.") She gestured and called in response to Vaz's agreement.

One of the raptors crouched and scratched at the ground. She could always eat Vaz if she was unsuccessful, they smelled full of intruiging ideas. Argia likes them though. Perhaps that would be unwise.

She tilted her head again as Vaz smacked thier arm against the ground, consulting with her overmind about her success in tracking Jorath.

Parasites. Perhaps its parasites. She thought. That was less dangerous, though she would have to be wary about getting too close. It was too bad there no longer seemed to be bug-picking-fliers in the world.

("Your packmate is with me- ... No... I know where your packmate is.") She stopped and tried a different, less confusing location-tense.

("I will ask him to return.")

[In a different alley with Jorath]

Askee-ah stepped aside, favoring her leg a little but refusing to let it show too much.

("You are not sick with madness-fever. This is well.")

She said opaquely in response to his greeting, (leaving the implications of that for Jorath to figure out on his own, or not) and preened herself in a show of unconcern.

A note from her overmind tugged at her awareness. Perhaps its parasites.

She eyed Jorath sharply. She could almost feel her skin starting to itch, though she made no move to show it. Hmf. He seems the type. She thought to herself irritatably.

Then another, stronger call in her mind, which she passed on to Jorath out loud.

("Hunter-Vaz seeks you. I can lead you to them.")

Edited by AlexisV

"Thank you for that observation," Jorath said, a little deadpan as he puzzled over what "madness-fever" was supposed to be and why Askee-ah concerned herself with determining a diagnosis. The reptile didn't say much more after that, returning to scrutinizing him. A frown began to slide across his face. "Is there something you want from me?" It was one thing to tackle him to get his attention and an entirely different thing to do so, only to waste his time. She hadn't even bothered with an apology. How rude. 

At last, Askee-ah gave him something to work with. Jorath fought back the impulse to smirk at her bearing of "hunter" with Vaz. "I'd say they're much more of a scribe than anything else. But, they do frighteningly well if their prey is a paper trail." Really, though? Askee-ah was there only as a messenger? And one from Vaz? No. That didn't sound right. Vaz would have no need to send a messenger to retrieve him when they both already knew that Jorath could find them with ease because of his chain. 

For a very rare moment, cold began to seep into his back. "Askee-ah, I know where to find them," he said slowly. Should he expect an ambush from the reptile? But, why? Wouldn't surprise me if she'd found something to blame me for. Maybe listened to Gabriel curse all demons as an angel is wont to do... Jorath couldn't risk stepping closer and coming into contact with her to find out if any hidden intentions rested within. And he hadn't thought about attempting to read her when she'd had him pinned. Idiot. Where's your sense of forethought gone? 

A creeping sense of wariness edged into his thoughts, heightening his unease. Impulse wanted him to take a step back but he kept his feet rooted. At least until he could determine what he wanted to do next. An ambush could explain why Askee-ah had decided to stalk him. Even worse, still, if she were trying to corner him or lead him into a trap with Vaz as the bait...? How else would she know that they were associates--albeit loosely? You've caused so much trouble for them. Faintly, Jorath wondered why Vaz still bothered with him. Stop that. I try. Things just.... They just always went bad and this moment likely wasn't an exception. 

Jorath didn't let himself think beyond that, leaping and scaling the side of the building to the rooftops. He sprinted across, jumping each gap that came, and headed towards Vaz. If she harmed them-- A snarl twisted his features. Gradually, the scent of blood drifted through the air, growing stronger, and his gaze darkened. He crossed one more rooftop and then dropped down into the alley he sensed Vaz in. More reptiles of Askee-ah's likeness lurked at the darkened end, gore clinging to their muzzles. 

"Askee-ah!" he growled at the creatures, hunched slightly like a beast ready to lunge. "What did--" Jorath blinked, standing slowly and glancing behind his shoulder. "What did.... you--" Vaz was standing, unharmed, in the alleyway. "Who's--" His gaze swung back to the reptiles, a hand motioning towards the blood and flesh. "I...." Clearing his throat and inhaling deeply, Jorath turned his gaze to his clothes and focused on smoothing them out, rushing to soothe the adrenaline in his body. "I thought--" Well, never mind what he thought. He was just relieved to have been wrong.

Wits recollected, he turned to Vaz completely and glanced at their arm, gently grabbing the chain that constricted their flesh and unlatching it. As the metal fell away, Jorath bit back a grimace at the burn Vaz's skin had to endure. No, Askee-ah hadn't hurt Vaz. Only him. Using it as an excuse to look away, Jorath made slow movements to reattach the chain to his waistband. 

Edited by ValidEmotions

Vaz glanced between the two raptors, and then attempted to peek around to the space behind them. They saw no sign of Jorath lingering in the shadows beside them, still unable to quite grasp that ‘Askee-ah’ was the name of an overmind with multiple vessels rather than the species label they had given themselves. Vaz honestly just thought the duo before them were so in-sync because they were longtime companions, picking up on each other’s thoughts and habits in a less direct method. It was nice to note that raptors could be so forward-thinking and devoted to each other.

“I...erm. Okay. I shall wait here, then?”

Vaz fidgeted slightly when the duo didn’t seem to move at all to track Jorath down, clearing their throat and blinking over at them expectantly. Ah, that was it. Raptors must have psychic powers. It explained the apparent mind-reading and ability to project concepts of speech directly into Vaz’s mind.

“So...”

They eventually murmured, not enjoying the awkward absence of speech while they waited. Vaz wondered if they were somehow sifting through the demon’s mind at this point, and made an extra effort to start a loud, mental chorus of their favourite patter song at the back of their thoughts as a deterrent.

“...Did your little demon snack fill you fine ladies up enough?”

Vaz inquired half-way through verse three.

“...Just. Erm. I’ve been told I don’t taste very good, y’know. Kind of like licking the inside of an inkwell. Not to mention my Ikaar has a tendency to mess around with one’s language centre if ingested. Very unpleasant. Wouldn’t recommend it.”

Vaz was just starting up their fourth round of the mental chorus when Jorath finally descended from the sky, smacking into the ground with a sharp thud before them. The demon didn’t know whether to be relieved at the sight of something between themselves and the raptors or amused at the entry, so they opted instead for the usual head-tilt and smirk as he turned around.

“Ah. L’antiira. Nice of you to drop by.”

Vaz moved to close the gap between the two of them, arm now held out dramatically between the two as their friendly demeanour soured into a stomp.

“Now, remove this wretched thing! I beseech the! As Founder of Forgotten Runes, Keeper of Quills, Consort of Vengeance! CRAFTER OF THE SEALER OF A THOUSAND SINS HERSELF-“

Jorath had grasped the arm and clicked off the chain in one, fluid motion. Like a switch the slightly-deranged glare in Vaz’s eyes died off and they flinched back as though stung, nursing the marks the device had left on their limb. They grumbled an unsavoury remark about the device in Oldspeak as he latched it back onto his waistband, pacing briefly around Jorath to inspect his new getup with a judgemental eye.

“...I suppose it’ll do.”

Vaz sniffed, looking like they were about to reach out and attempt some adjustments before they remembered the ten-foot-high murder machines watching them.

”Ah, right. Now I hope you aren’t completely out of breathe my dear, I’ve promised to walk these fine ladies to the park for a little chat with Argia.”

Edited by Lycanious

While the half-orc was explaining the sun and the moon epidemic, she thought she heard a sound coming from Hrafn. She assumed it was something similar to how a humanoid would sigh in disappointment or sadness. She looked to Hrafn with an empathetic look, knowing what it's like to be alone in a world where almost everything is dangerous and wanting to kill her. She got up and looked at the swing one more time before remembering the swings of those from other human settlements, made of one piece of rope around a tree limb with a couple knots holding a board from the middle. A more crude swing without much support. The differences between the swings made her feel daunted by this world. How advanced was this place? If she's not careful, she can get sick from all this new technology, or what others would call "Culture Shock".

She looked back at the city as Hrafn mentioned sneaking in and sighed. She saw a park nearby and thought that maybe that would be easier. She was starting to get hungry. She held her exposed stomach before looking back at Hrafn. "I feel like trying to enter the city now is not a good idea. I need food and I need a cloak. I didn't think to bring one because I thought the denizens here would be a lot more hospitable. Besides, I feel like if we run into anyone, there won't be a huge mob of them and they may be friendly. Usually, the nicer people tend to stay away from a high concentration of evils, if they aren't already corrupted." She looked back at the city and sighed. So many people, so much demonic presence. This really is hell. A hell stuck in twilight.

Kansif looked back at the large wolf and held a serious face filled with a solemn frown and sad eyes. The state of the city, of this realm, is upsetting. "Come, please join me as I head to the park. Maybe there are items that may aid in making a cloak." 

Edited by Merciless_Medic

Safe. Gabriel let the concept roll around in her head. When had been the last time she'd been safe? The human got up and approached her, then extended his hand. She took it confidently and shook it. "Gabriel." The angel thought for a moment about making a comment about how she was lucky he was in fact a man a science and not some religious zealot. I wonder, even face to face with an angel, how he feels about it actually. Rather than push her luck she returned his smile and simply nodded.

"Oh, this?" she moved the jacket to reveal her torn shirt and and angry looking wound. "I was-" she hesitated for a moment. "-shot earlier... But it seems to be healing on its own okay albeit much slower than it usually does. It probably wouldn't hurt to get it looked at or cleaned. I'm not sure if the bullet even made it out for sure or not." It probably wasn't good to leave bullets in a body but she'd seen humans survive worse. 

--------------

The wolf nodded in agreeance with Kansif as she spoke. "I have a feeling based on what we've seen cloaks have fallen out of fashion here." Getting up she followed after the half-orc. So far there were humans, her, Kansif, and humans mentioning more of 'her kind'. That had to mean there were more like her, or even them, here right? If they were rejected by humans then perhaps their fellow non-mortal kin would be more accepting. "I think there has to be more like us here somewhere. In hiding I bet." As they walked she caught the scent of something she had never smelled before. It was a predator for sure but one that had sort of a reptilian? smell. Odd. There was also the faint smell of death on the breeze which put her on edge. Something was hunting in this territory and not knowing what it was exactly only added to the unease. "We have to be careful," the wolf said cryptically. "I smell something on the wind."

Edited by RavenWolf1010

Argia slowed her pace, examining the silent area. She couldn't see the sources of the lifelines from where she stood on the ground. But, she knew more specifically which direction they were in now that she was closer. Taking in the sight of the trees and the stretch of grass, she stopped at the edge of the park. Argia didn't know how long Vaz would take to catch up. She supposed that would be dependent on Jorath's.... condition? State? Uncertain of what word to use for it, she let it go and picked a bench to sit upon. For a few moments, she stared at the scenery, studying the abandoned play structure and the flora that had clearly grown untamed. Bushes and vines had even started to encroach on the structure's territory, creeping across the sawdust but not yet anywhere near the man-made object. 

Turning her attention to the cards and the quill that Vaz had given her, she examined the cards first. Each of them were simple, possessing a blank side ideal for handwriting and a printed side that merely had Vazithrazuul etched in calligraphic font. Though, each card had a different title. "Keeper of Quills" and "Lady of Silence" were familiar already, but she discovered "Maker of Fortune", "Librarian of Truth", and "Scribe of Memories" as well. She paused, however, at "Consort of Vengeance". Argia puzzled over the title. Vaz had made no response when she accused them of being a zealot seeking vengeance. Could they somehow be involved with how she was brought to the realm? No. It was a ridiculous thought and she started to chastise herself for having it. Still, though, she lingered. It would be best for her to ask about it, to seek an honest answer. Vaz, as they proclaimed, could not lie. 

Reaching for the quill, it looked nearly as simple as the business cards, but no less elegant. Something was inscribed on the hilt and, after a moment of trying to see what it was, Argia mumbled, "Lojaal'O'Ith? Curious...." She didn't know what the word meant, or why it was carved into the hilt to begin with. Perhaps it was another question to ask Vaz when he returned. Gently, she rested the quill and cards in her lap, clasping her hands lightly above them so they couldn't be blown away by the wind. And she waited.

[[Hope you don't mind the additional titles, Lyca.]]

Edited by ValidEmotions

Stephen's eyes went wide for a moment when he saw the wound in Gabriel's shoulder. But he studied it with calm seriousness. 

"You're healing much faster than a human would, I'll tell you that much. But... yes, I'll get the supplies." He turned toward the stairs, pointing to the steps near his stack of books. "Have a seat if you prefer, I'll be back in a minute."

He hurried up the stairs, taking the steps three at a time, and left Gabriel in the semi-gloom of the theatre entryway for a while. (The raptor who had brought her there had left to patrol outside once she was sure Gabriel and Stephen weren't going to fight.)

He returned a while later lugging a heavy frame pack.

"I was on my way to Mongolia when all this happened." He gestured vaugely at the sky. "This was supposed to be my last airport stopover before Beijing. Instead the flight got cancelled and me and all my gear got stuck here." He huffed and swung the pack against his knee, setting it to rest against the staircase banister. "And the raptors... well... that's a long story."

He dug into the pack for a squarish nylon bag.

"I can only do the basics I'm afraid, just cleaning this and try to keep it from getting infected." Before he started to clean Gabriel's wound he moved back behind he 

"Let me look at the back of your shoulder here..." He gingerly moved the jacket off that shoulder.

"Ne exit wound." He winced a little. "Still, you're barely bleeding. You really ought to go to a hospital, but..." He paused, thinking for a moment. "I don't know if it would be safe. Its kind of a mixed bag out there how people feel about magic and people with wings, and hospitals are getting a reputation for making people dissapear just for being around them. Demons and angels and the like, I mean."

He unzipped the nylon case and got out gauze and disinfectant, put on a pair of gloves, and began to clean the wound in Gabriel's shoulder.

"This is probably going to hurt a bit, sorry." He hesitated, then asked. "Do you know what happened out there? Why the sun stopped rising, and all the rest?"

The angel nodded and looked at the stack of books and the area around her before gingerly sitting down. Many of the books looked old and worn, some were even hand written. She began to study the old theater instead, noting small details here and there that might have otherwise gone overlooked. As the doctor returned she removed the jacket entirely and set it down beside her. Her mind turned to Jorath and began spinning as she thought about the deal once again. When the doctor spoke she faced him and let the thoughts fade away to a quiet rumble at the back of her mind. 

At the mention of the sky she avoided his gaze, choosing to instead stare at the pack by the banister. "What were you going to Beijing for? Seems like you were much better suited for here seeing as there's actual raptors running around and such." He pulled out some medical supplies and began to work on her shoulder. It only stung a bit and she winced some but it was nothing compared to the earlier pain of her trying to fly. Then she sensed some hesitation as if he wanted to ask something else. The angel tensed and racked her brain for anything else to talk about before he could speak but she wasn't quick enough. His question hung in the air between them for a few moments, almost extending into an awkward silence. It was finally broken when she inhaled and sighed heavily. "I do not know for sure why the Dawn has gone missing, but I know it has to do with the angels absence from this world. They forsook the humans because of their ignorance and that left no one to defend this realm from falling to demon control. Except me. I stayed behind because my love for humans outweighs my pride, unlike my brothers and sisters." Gabriel winced as he passed over the wound once again trying to clear it of the excess dried blood. "But the problem is immortals aren't so immortal. Demons and angels alike need the belief of others and draw power from it. Demons typically get it from the deals the make or sealing a soul. As angels we used to have a large influence over this realm but when they left almost everyone lost faith in us and thus," she gestured to the wound in her shoulder. "We begin to lose our power and strength and begin to turn mortal ourselves." With another heavy sigh she ran her fingers through her messy hair. "I am trying my best to save this place but I can't do it on my own, not with the state I'm in. And without any influence and being unable to get anymore anytime soon since everyone is angry with my kind well, I am as they say, screwed." She hadn't realized how much she had talked until it was once again quiet. It felt nice to be able to get it all of her chest since she otherwise had not had contact with another person since Jorath. "Sorry," she eventually said. "It wasn't my intent to drop that on you like that. I just... haven't had anyone to talk to since everyone left.

Edited by RavenWolf1010

Kansif grumbled something that sounded like a guttural curse word when the wolf mentioned that the cloaks were not modern enough. She nodded afterwards as Hrafn talked about there being more of them. She had to agree. Why would there just be two of them? But then something sent Hrafn on edge and Kansif didn't know why at first. Then, a warning from the wolf. Smell something? On the wind? Try as Kansif might, she couldn't smell what Hrafn had talked about, but she believed the she-wolf all the same. She drew out her greataxe and held the archaic weapon in both hands, as anyone should. The greataxe's design was simple, but the two blades on the end looked different from each other. One looked more like steel, while the other was a shinier metal. It had the smell of silver.

Kansif wasn't the most astute creature, but she knew danger due to her intuition and gut feeling. Still though, she wasn't as perceptive, and she couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. It was then that, after a bit of walking, she found more play structures and she saw someone. She had a quill and some cards in her hands and was sitting down. She looked to Hrafn with a strange look and something was telling her that there was something about this woman that wasn't normal. It was then that, due to one of the runes engraved in her back and her eyes glowing black for a moment, she saw an aura surrounding this woman. It was strange, and she couldn't exactly describe what she was seeing, but she knew that the woman was magical. The items she was holding had a dark aura, as if blessed by a demon. She didn't know what to make of it, but she knew that the entire person and the quill was magical. Were they hers? But her magic didn't match that of the magical aura that the quill had. In fact, her aura looked like a ghostly flame, but it seemed to flicker and wane as if it was tampered with. Or maybe it had to do with her emotional state. She didn't exactly know why, but she knew that she never had the ability to see the emotional state via their magical aura, so she looked to Hrafn and put away her greataxe. All Kansif knew was that she was going to take her chances with the strange being, and those odds were a lot higher than any other being right now.

She walked up to the strange woman (Argia) and greeted her from afar. "Greetings, strange one. You don't seem or feel human. I am Kansif Bear-Mother, a half-orc that was summoned from a different realm vastly archaic in technology than this realm. This is Hrafn, a she-wolf. Who might you be?"

Edited by Merciless_Medic
Grammar editing

[At the Searchlight Theatre]

"Beijing was just my next layover after I left this country, I was headed for an expedition into Mongolia." Stephen replied, picking up a new peice of guaze and soaking it in disinfectant. "I study dromeosauridae, and Mongolia is one of the better countries to find thier fossils. Took forever to get funding for it, and now..." He gave a defeated, frustrated sigh, but there was no bitterness in it.

"As for the raptors here, there were always cryptid stories around this city, but nobody in the scientific community takes them seriously. I know I didn't until..." he hesitated a little as if recalling a hard memory. "Until I saw a demon... Hunting people. On the street back by the airport hotels. I ran, and I don't know what came over me, but I got a little hysterical and started thinking how badly built its anatomy was, and how any of the dinosaurs I study could have thrashed it in a fight."

He laughed. "I was sure I'd lost my mind when they actually showed up and did just that. Took me a while to feel like I wasn't crazy, but I guess the world is just different now."

One of the raptors had sensed his distress and poked her head through the stair railing, leaning it on Stephen's shoulder. "Yes, thank you." He said, petting her snout with his arm to avoid contaminating the gloves he wore.

He listened quietly to Gabriel's reply to his question, a faint unconscious frown on his face.

The raptor leaning on him raised her head, and looked up for a moment at a crashing sound, and then sirens in the far distance. But he knew well at this point that investigating sounds like that and getting involved could be incredibly dangerous. Askee-ah would warn them if there was danger headed this way.

He pulled out a clean peice of guaze from the pack, and a roll of white tape, and taped a bandage over the wound in Gabriel's shoulder.

He breathed out. "I hope that'll be good enough. The bandage will need to be changed every so often, and let me know right away if it starts feeling hot or hurts more, or if you start getting a fever, you know, feeling your body is hotter than it should be.

"And you don't need to be sorry, thank you for telling me about what you know." He said it a bit grimly. "Askee-ah has adopted quite a few humans but between us, the best explanations I've heard up till now were guesses and conspiracies and nonsense."

All the raptors in the room stood up and came alert, and even though he hadn't seen them, Stephen did at the same time too.

One of the raptors turned to him. ("Stay") She gestured. ("You are protected")

The raptors left quietly, alert but not in a rush that signaled a real emergency.

"Well." Stephen said in the quiet gloom.

"I think we can provide you with help. What I know of the way Askee-ah gets power sounds a lot like what-"

He was cut off as the theatre doors exploded violently inward and slammed against the inner walls with a crack like a gunshot.

Stephen jumped up in panic, but it was only more raptors that had come barreling through, about eight in all flanking one in the middle who was hunched over, partly wrapped in a string of brightly colored flags, smelling strongly of a mixture of motor oil, antifreeze, and smoke, and coated in an odd mixture of debris. Her claws looked odd for some reason-

And then she gave a sudden, jerking hiss and a string of what Stephen knew to be raptor curse words (though they hadn't been translated) and a blurring, liquid silver motion flashed around her and coalesced into a single shining form of a sword. It rang resonantly as it clattered to the floor, pointing directly at Gabriel.

It glowed with a not-quite visible power that seemed... smug.

Stephen stopped gaping, and folded his arms. "What is this?" He demanded. The raptors avoided his gaze and grumbled irritably, and the one in the center spit more curses, extending her power at the end to translate a final unmentionable one, and a very angry call that meant ("I am helping.")

The theatre doors fluttered weakly closed, thier sturdy construction having survived the raptors' entrace (and not for the first time.) A few moments later a vehicle with a siren screamed down the street and then on into the distance.

Edited by AlexisV

The posters went up overnight. Or at least what passed for overnight in a world forsaken by the dawn. Police cars, national guard, fire trucks, even the forces of military branches showed up en masse to paste the five foot high, brightly colored sheets to every wall and big enough visible surface in the city.

They were all identical, black and purple with gold lettering. 

It was topped by a curious seal, the upper half of a rayed sun rising above a horizon, with a complex, striking sigil in the sun's center.

ORDER
SAFETY
PROSPERITY

BY THE DOMINION OF
AURIS DOMNIIR, INC.

Two lists of instructions followed, one in human language:

Report all unathorized demons and supernatural entities to Auris Domniir, inc. agents. Authorized agents will bear the sigil shown above.

Unauthorized reproduction of the sigil will result in death.

The second, in demon script read:

All demons are to hereby acknowledge the dominion of the Dawn Lord. Normal activities and alliances will not otherwise be disrupted for those who cooperate.

You have 48 from this date to comply. Dissenters shall taste the fires of the Dawn.

And a third note at the bottom in the human tongue read:

A bounty of $10,000,000 offered for the capture of any living angelic being, to be turned in to the nearest Auris Domniir, Inc. agent.

As soon as the posters were up, the human law enforcement dispersed.

And throughout the city, beings that looked human but were not, (mostly minor demons) each wearing a kind of very short half-round cape, black or purple with the Auris Domniir company sigil emblazoned on it in gold, began seeking out the known demons of the city and offering terms of employment.

Edited by AlexisV

Gabriel listened intently while Stephen spoke, even though her thoughts were spinning with other things.  "I was confused when I first saw the raptors but anymore things tend to not surprise me anymore." She gave a small shrug and looked at her feet as he finished up. "Thank you for your help. And for lending your ear." Her eyes went to the direction of the crashing sounds and she stood up slowly looking from the raptor beside Stephen to where the sound had originated. Obviously uneasy her wings stretched some before settling against her back, similar to a bird as if it were about to take flight from fear. As the doors flew open and Stephen jumped her wings flared open and shielded him and the raptor next to them. When she realized it was only more raptors she sighed in relief and drew back her wings. Then her sword separated itself from the poor raptor in the middle and skittered across the floor towards her. "You know," she said turning to Stephen. "I spoke too soon when I said nothing much surprised me anymore." Gabriel shook her head and walked forward to pick up her sword. "Ekaitz, quid fecisti?" She asked it in a scolding tone. "Tu melius nosti."  With a heavy sigh she gripped the sword and approached the raptor in the center of the gaggle and unwrapped the flags from her gingerly. "Thank you for returning it to me. I know it can get... carried away when I am not around." The angel could only imagine what the sword had done in her absence. As she scolded it once more under her breath she walked back over to where Stephen was and set the sword down against the banister. "So... what were you saying?" She eyed the doors with suspicion as she wondered how they could have possibly could still be in working order given their age and the abuse they just incurred. 

------

Hrafn walked with Kansif doing her best to not outpace her. She was quite impressed by the weapon she had drawn though the silver made her uneasy. Any weapon could hurt her, but silver tended to have this extra burn to it that other metals did not. As they walked she was constantly scanning around them, her ears would rotate and her nose was continuously twitching as she tracked scents in the air. When they came upon another being the wolf was confused as to why she had sheathed her weapon. Maybe she did not want to appear threatening but for all they knew this was the threat. She lowered her head and folded back her ears, her gaze trained on the other being in a cold stare. Her stance itself was one of wary defensiveness. The wolf's jowls twitched as she fought the urge to bare her teeth. Whatever this being was it did not have a scent of its own. In Hrafn's book that wasn't something you could trust.

The lifelines were so close now, Argia turned her focus away from the quill and to the strangeness of the approaching strangers. They weren't human lifelines, feeling more like the rough hides of creatures--had they been twisted into cords. Someone came into view at last, a looming creature of an origin that Argia had no certainty of. But they looked no less like a supernatural creature. The green-skinned being's eyes glowed black and she lifted her chin faintly under the stranger's apparent regard. "Kansif...." She tested the name in her mouth, wondering if she pronounced it accurately. Whatever a half-orc was, the large wolf was at least something of a familiar shape. "And Hrafn? I am Argia." And because she remembered that it had caused undesired stress when she had not expressed it sooner, she added, "I am a Harbinger of Dark."

Kansif was clearly armed, but she had put her greataxe away, a lacking indication to be confrontational. "You assume correctly--I am not a human." Was a half-orc a kind of demon? Should she ask? The other three demons she knew of all kept a very human appearance. That Kansif didn't bother with one--"Why do you have green skin? Aren't we supposed to be hiding among the humans?" She recalled the one beast-like demon she'd seen when she first arrived here. "Or are you like some of the demons here that do not care about hiding?" It was conflicting information, between Vaz's suggestion she conceal her nature and what she saw in the city. Kansif mentioned being summoned from another realm and Argia hesitated. Up to now, she'd only met beings that lived here already. If Kansif, like herself, was summoned here, could there be more? And did it mean something?

"Zealots?" Argia asked, rising from the bench but careful not to drop the cards and quill. "That is, were you summoned by zealots like I was? Did they change you, too?" Argia frowned, looking over her shoulder and back towards the city. "I am waiting for someone. They should return soon." Hopefully. She wanted to ask Vaz about what she was meant to do with the cards and the quill. They weren't hers, and they all had Vaz's name on them. Did they mean for her to recommend their literary services? Or maybe... Oh. She turned one card over, staring at the blank side. "I am not familiar with business dealings but, I think I am to offer my services with these?" 

She realized she didn't know what she was supposed to do. Her first exchange with Vaz seemed much more straightforward than this because she needed information about the world and they appeared to know the answers. Argia intended to continue getting answers from Vaz, and maybe Jorath as well, but Kansif and Hrafn were likely just as lost as she. What was she supposed to do, now that she was not driven by Fate? No sovereign was demanding her to keep moving, passing from one soul to the next as a ceaseless entity. And faced with beings who likely knew nothing, as well? 

"Do you have a mortal soul I must reap?" she asked, tentatively holding a card out to Kansif and Hrafn. "Or... maybe vengeance you seek?"

Was this what ridiculousness felt like?

[[I'm going to hold off on that recruiter for another post :) ]]

Edited by ValidEmotions

Vaz was quieter than usual as the quartet wandered through the streets of the city. They had opted for a longer route back towards the park, trying to confine the raptors to deserted side-streets and hidden alleyways as much as the journey would allow for. Whenever Jorath seemed to be distracted enough they would glance down at the mark on their wrist and then over at the fellow demon, gaze lingering on their back or the spot just above their head for a moment before it switched back to the road ahead. 

The ancient demon had never been the best at comforting other beings. Though the two held conflicting views on the significance of mortal lives an urge to console him after these incidents still lingered at the back of their mind. Based on previous experience though the phrase ‘So, what kind of sleazy meat-bag did you rid the world of today?’ was unlikely to help matters. Slinging an arm around his shoulder felt like it would be more effective, as per what Vaz themself found oddly comforting, but mortals tended to have all these peculiar little rules about when and where such things were appropriate. Deciphering whether that had any influence on Jorath still was likely to bring on a migraine.

Vaz was half-way through a mental debate as to whether they should say anything at all on the subject, when a flash of smoke and fire demanded their attention up ahead. Green flames rose up from the pavement, scorching a nearby discarded newspaper and prompting Vaz to stop in their tracks. As the flames flew higher they began to wrap into a humanoid shape, and moments later a young woman stepped out into view before them.

“Draal, Krelniir O’Malvorin!”

She announced in a chipper voice as she dismissed the flames behind her, practically bouncing her way over to the group. Despite the chill in the air and the distinct lack of sunshine she dressed as though she had been holidaying on the beach mere seconds ago, sporting a light summer dress and a wide-brimmed hat. The only hint that she even felt the cold surrounding them was a short cape that hung off her shoulders, purple in hue, but even that seemed more for show than for warmth. She twirled on the spot for a moment, proudly displaying the golden insignia of a rising sun on said cape for a second before continuing to close the gap between them.

“Auris Domniir zephyrn ple l’antiirus si-“

Shuffling her sunglasses to the top of her head caused her to pause, stunned, as two giant reptiles greeted her line of vision. The new arrival blinked up at them, a crease formed in their brow, and they fished out a hastily-scribbled note to read off for a moment before they scrunched it up in their hands and tossed it to the side.

“You’re not Smaalvir.”

She announced, with a tone that sounded like she was scolding the ancient reptiles for not eating their greens. Vaz grunted in response, wanting to voice the unflattering commentary in their head but, alas, sarcasm teetered too close to being considered a falsehood and was therefore difficult to properly express towards strangers.

“Are we done here, then...?”

Vaz eventually ventured, motioning to the non-existent watch beneath their sleeve. The woman shook her head in reply, breaking her concentration on Askee-ah to inspect the other demons before her instead.

“No, no, I shall salvage this. Who am I speaking to?”

“Maker of Fortune, Founder of Forgotten Runes, Lord of-“

“Oh!”

The woman clicked her fingers in the air, prompting another grumble from Vaz over the rude interruption.

“Right, of course, Vazithrazuul. Should’ve known from all the eyes and ink-stains.”

Her gaze shifted to the side at that, eyes doing a brief sweep of the demon beside them in hopes they had stumbled across a noteworthy client of the old Scribe of Truth.

“Hm...unkempt. Disorganised aura...No power insignia in sight...Oh. You must be that Jorath bloke, then. How...”

Her perfectly-manicured hand fluttered in his general direction as she struggled for a proper description, a mild look of derision forming on her face.

Amusing. Tell me Vaz, does Skrul know that he’s been replaced with an untitled disaster magnet on your moonlit-strolls yet?”

Vaz’s face cycled through a few complex but aggravated expressions before it settled on a dry glare in her direction.

“That’s not...I haven’t repl- there’s nothing to re- ...Do you have a reason for prolonging this dismal encounter any further?”

A cackle disrupted Vaz yet again, the woman clasping her hands together in delight at having of successfully gotten under their skin in such a short amount of time. Her attention switched back over to Jorath as she tossed a maroon-hued curl of hair over her shoulder and winked at him, wondering if they’d be as easy to fluster as the scholarly being beside them.

“You may call me Zeph’Jaalvir, or just ‘Zoe’ if you find that a bit too complex for that lump you call a tongue. Swift of Wing, Swift of Speech, if you need a message delivered I’m the best there is to offer.”

Green eyes flickered back over to Askee-ah, less disturbed by the remains of a demon splattered all over them and more impressed at the efficiency of the kill. Still, best not to bore such formidable predators. She should get to the point.

‘Zoe’ cleared her throat, and with a click of her fingers a scroll had materialised in her hands with another burst of emerald flames. She unravelled it to reveal the same black and gold insignia of a rising sun as was on her cape as she peered at the words scrawled on the opposite side.

“Esteemed colleagues and noteworthy beneficiaries, we wish to inform you that we are expanding our sphere of influence in the interest of ushering a new era of order and prosperity.”

Began the messenger, translating to Commonspeak for the benefit of the group as a whole.

“We are Auris Domniir, and have noted that you resent your current role as Hellhound fodder. We sympathise. Your talents have no doubt been squandered. But we see you in the role you were destined to play, ever since you first emerged from the flames. Sever your ties with Malvorin, and we shall grant you the wealth and power more befitting of a being of your status.”

Zoe finished with a bow, reminiscent of how Vaz would sometimes finish a long and tedious analysis and expect to be applauded by the end of it. Vaz didn’t oblige, but it did little to deter her from the conversation.

“Loses a bit of the punch in the translation but you get the gist I’m sure. Of course that last bit was for Smaalvir, but I’m sure we could find a nice little incentive for the both of you as well. Power, Fortune...um...overgrown lizard food...all the standard things y’know?”

Lips pursed in thought as she inspected the both of them up and down. Vaz fidgeted on the spot, about to suggest that their usual agreement would do just fine when she piped up again.

“Oh! I’ve got it! How about some new wings eh? I mean...uh...Feathers, I mean. We can’t...I don’t think we can replace the two that, y’know...”

Zoe made a slicing motion across her neck and Vaz visibly bristled, all eyes now boring into the recruiter before them. They tried to repress the reaction with a chuckle a moment later, but it was one of those hollow and borderline threatening ones that the demon used when an indecisive client was starting to get on their nerves. They found themselves taking a step backwards, moving the sore shoulder further from her until it was both tucked behind one of Jorath’s own and closer to their recently-acquired raptor associates.

“I may...consider the offer. But there is no need to torment me with the notion that any hell-born being can reverse what aeiuwn and terruwn hand alike has done to me.”

They twitched their neck to the right of them, motioning for Zoe to take her leave. Despite the clipped tone to their voice though she didn’t seem to be too fazed by them. Instead she just smiled and reached over to pat them twice on the cheek, mockingly, before the taller demon flinched away from her reach and repeated the motion to leave.

“You do not yet comprehend the power Auris Domniir wields. Can’t say I blame you though, if you’ve yet to witness it for yourself. But rest assure, this will be a lucrative agreement for all of us.”

With another puff of smoke, several pamphlets materialised in the air beside her. They hovered diligently beside her as she lazily plucked a few from the pile, forcing one each into Vaz and Jorath’s hands and then tossing a few more in the general direction of the velociraptors behind them.

“Do think wisely about it, gentlemen. Would be a shame to lose such a beautiful mind, and such a lovely face, to the Void.”

Edited by Lycanious
Grammar fixes

[With Vaz and Jorath]

Askee-ah eyed the woman who'd appeared from the green fire uneasily.

Normally she would have darted away at the first appearance of this unknown power, finding a more concealed and advantageous place to watch, and attack if needed. But she glanced to Vaz and Jorath first, and neither seemed especially preturbed by it. It would not do to show undue fear to her new ally or thier companion, so Askee-ah held her ground and waited for an indication to attack, flee, or respond in some other way.

The two raptors stood a little taller, claws and tails twitching as the woman adressed them, and then looked at each other. 

Smaalvir? the name seemed... distantly familiar, like a hint of a scent... Ah. A fluttering scrap of eaten memory came to her. 

A vauge human notion rose in her mind, mingling with her naturally mischevous instincts, and she gave a very low chuckling growl that likely sounded unsettling to humanoid ears.

The woman, Zoe, glanced back towards her at hearing that. Her expression was guarded but not fearful. Askee-ah found herself pleased by that, and relaxed a fraction.

She folded her claws back and listened, unsure whether what Zoe had to say was any concern of hers. What others would have recognized as spoken flattery and enticements seemed like meaningless ways to extend a conversation to her, and she wasn't impressed by such a roundabout and vauge way of proposing what... appeared to be a kind of alliance? She'd done a better job at that, even with the apparent major missteps in protocol.

Askee-ah maintained her polite disinterest until Zoe mentioned something a few moments later that Askee-ah didn't quite follow, but Vaz clearly didn't appreciate.

Vaz was an ally, not a packmate, so she didn't posture and hiss defensively, respectfully leaving them room to show that they were capable of defending themselves. But the gaze and attention she held on Zoe became very, very intent. It was only a slight change, shifting weight, tensing her neck, and spreading her claws a fraction, as if preparing to attack but not wanting to make it obvious. A more subtle and more deadly sort of warning.

A slight growl escaped the throat of one of Askee-ah's raptors as Zoe reached up towards Vaz, but she didn't move.

She sniffed and swept her head sideways as one of the papers Zoe threw in her direction brushed over her muzzle. And then Zoe was gone.

Askee-ah watched the place she had vanished from carefully for a few moments, instinctively half-expecting a surprise attack. She then eyed Vaz in a manner that was half questioning, half expressing a recognition of trouble. She didn't like the lingering threat at the end of Zoe's last words.

Jorath murmured an apology in Oldspeak, a promise to not use Vaz again as best he could help it. Whether the demon heard him or not was uncertain as they uttered quiet swears before proceeding to judge his new clothes. Briefly, it made Jorath conscious of the worry there might still be blood staining him for all the world to see. He reminded himself that there wasn't, that the only blood he had on him was invisible to outsiders. When Vaz seemed mildly satisfied, they spoke and Jorath brought a hand to his face, a huff of laughter escaping. Askee-ah was searching for Argia? "Askee-ah. Word of advice. Instead of beating around the bush and making me suspect you of an ambush on my friend, you should have just told me you were looking for Argia." Someone was going to have to instruct the reptile on how to deal with demons she didn't intend to eat right away. 

Grinning at Vaz, he motioned to the main street. "I'm ready when you are," he said. Vaz seamlessly took point, sort of, and the trio... group of four? Jorath didn't know how to classify Askee-ah's reptiles. Were they all one being or multiple beings with the same name? They all felt the same to his senses and none had given an individual name. Truth be told, he'd originally thought there was just one reptile. Glancing back at the creatures, he mulled over the possibilities of multiple reptiles that looked identical to each other versus his untrained eyes at telling reptiles apart. 

He didn't linger on it, though, even if it made a good distraction from Hailey and Neil, or Vaz's burned arm for that matter. It didn't seem very important, not at the moment at least when Askee-ah presented herself as an ally. If she ever started to present herself as a threat, he'd figure more out then. And leave yourself at a disadvantage? She had Vaz alone and outnumbered. Besides, the only thing that made her an ally was the fact that she hadn't eaten him or someone he knew just yet. No, he needed to correct that because she'd eaten Smaalvir. So, she hadn't attacked yet--not exactly. Technically, she'd attacked Jorath only a little while ago. A faint frown tugged at his lips, gaze drifting to Askee-ah again. "Wh--" 

Fire and smoke attracted his attention and his focus redirected itself to the newcomer. A woman pulled herself free from the flames, approaching their group with a flourish and overly-bright Oldspeak. Jorath smirked as she realized Askee-ah wasn't Smaalvir. Vaz, as was typical for the eloquent demon, was first to begin speaking with the woman. Her tongue, however, seemed quicker than Vaz's and Jorath arched an eyebrow. In his experience, not many had a more silver tongue than Vaz. At her assessment of him, Jorath folded his arms and hummed slightly, stuffing back the grunt that wanted to rise instead. She... wasn't wrong, but the way she addressed him could have been less snooty in his opinion. He tolerated it from Vaz only because it came across as more genuine and teasing (if in the right mood), rather than superior. 

As Vaz became flustered by the woman's apparent skill at wit, Jorath scowled at her flippant hair toss and subsequent wink. Sure, insult him and then try to flirt. How classy. Zeph'Jaalvir. He'd heard that name before, but a long time back and only once or twice. At least Jorath now had a face to pair it with. He thought she'd died or left the city or something. Maybe she'd just gone underground for this Auris Domniir group? She held out a scroll and, while she red, Jorath rolled his eyes. Another demon, or group of demons in this case, looking for more followers in as showy a manner as possible. Not very original, but he gave the woman some benefit for not using song and confete to attract attention. One demon trying to gain traction using festive fanfare was enough. 

Jorath's gaze lowered to the ground. A part of him didn't know how to regard the insight that Zeph'Jaalvir wasn't aware of his ties to Malvorin. It shouldn't surprise him, hardly anyone knew of the details in his bargains if they weren't involved themselves. Most just got wind of the bumbling fallouts as "warnings". "Untitled disaster magnet" sounded even more apt and, ironically, like a title itself. 

He missed what the woman said but registered when Vaz shifted to stand a bit more defensively, pulling Jorath and Askee-ah into more protective positions without touching either of them. Jorath quickly, privately, scolded himself for the self-made distraction, returning to a more alert state as Zeph'Jaalvir conjured up pamphlets to shove at all of them. His fingers curled on the parchment, crinkling the edge. Vaz was uncomfortable, Jorath could see it. It does seem... like something to keep in mind. Almost immediately, he resented the thought. You just don't learn, do you? When the woman left, Jorath began rearranging the parchment in his hands. The inclination to rip it apart entered his mind, but his fingers disobeyed by folding it and stuffing the pamphlet into his back pocket instead. 

"Come on. Let's get to the park," he said, trying to shift from the unplanned encounter to the anticipated one.

[At the Searchlight Theatre]

The raptor who'd returned Gabriel's sword stretched gratefully as Gabriel untangled the flags from around her neck and foreclaws. She grumbled but made a gesture of thanks in return. She gave a final glare and hiss at the sword, and stalked off with a stiff gait and a mild limp, wanting badly to wash all the sticky and bad smelling substances off her scales.

Another of the other raptors made placating gestures and calls to Stephen. ("I gave them a false trail, left them confused and did not lead them here.")

"The police again?" Stephen sighed and pinched a spot between his eyes, pushing his glasses up. "Best not to show yourselves around here. Not for a good long while. They're bound to start beleiving you're real eventually."

He leaned against the banister railing as the raptors dispersed and settled down.

"Oh, yeah." He said, hearing Gabriel's question. "I was going to say, needing belief to be more than mortal sounds a lot like what Askee-ah does. She's here in this world because people believe in what she is, and she goes out recruiting people and defending them to gain... well I guess its more faith than belief at that piont, but it seems to work in a similar way." He got a vaugely uncomfortable, lost look as he spoke, like he was talking about something he wasn't sure would go down well.

"She might be able to help... I don't know, I guess she asked you to join the pack and provide belief in her, but she can probably help you figure something out for yourself."

("Yes.") Askee-ah called.

She had thought better of trying to pronounce Gabriel's name out loud, and Stephen was too agitated to speak to more directly right now, so she tried out a new gesture word she'd made up, it combined 'being' and 'danger-flier' while modifying the 'danger' gesture in the latter. ("Flier-being is a packmate.") She said ("But it wouldn't be right to guard her forever. I can teach. She can make her own pack.")

"Oh?" Stephen asked Askee-ah. "It sounds like people really don't like angels. They believe in them by hating them I guess, but that's not helpful. um." He rubbed his face, then looked to Gabriel. "Forgive me, what did people beleive angels did? Is there anything you can do to rebuild faith people have lost, or prove yourself to the people who don't dislike you?"

("Change.") Askee-ah called, with a tilt of her head to indicate a suggestion.

"Ey?" Stephen said.

("If a being is not one with its surroundings, it must change.") Askee-ah gave Stephen a pointed look, and Stephen found himself aware of a flicker of the spiritual nature of what Askee-ah was. Species evolve, adapt thier nature according to thier enviroment so they might survive. Like a flow of water to suit the shape of a pool that holds it.

Stephen shut his eyes for a moment, unsettled by the expirience of knowing that wasn't his own idea. But he was finding it was getting easier to just accept that deeply strange things were part of his life now.

"Huh." He figured out what Askee-ah was really suggesting fairly quickly. She was smart enough to know that millenia of time and generations wouldn't be helpful here. "Can you teach her that? I know you changed, but I thought that came from how your believers picture you." Most of them, anyway. Even if they're wrong.

Askee-ah sniffed. ("That is just easiest.")

Stephen looked to Gabriel. "Sorry, it takes me a minute to figure out what she's saying sometimes. I think she can teach you to alter your physical appearance."

Askee-ah looked to Gabriel expectantly from the foot of the stairs. ("Yes") she called.

[Near Vaz and Jorath]

Askee-ah glanced at Jorath as he montioned continuing to the park while her other self eyed Vaz. It occured to her suddenly that being coated in demon blood likely didn't constitute a proper appearance for asking for an alliance with Argia, judging by the way Vaz had reacted. 

She poked the other raptor with her snout and spoke quickly, not including either of the demons in the conversation.

Askee-ah caught Vaz's attention. ("Continue. We will catch up to your scent.")

The two raptors dissapeared into the gloom.

She didn't have the time to clean herself properly, so Askee-ah called to her overmind, to two other raptors. And as she waited, she studied the row of tattoo parlors, clubs, and bars spread out on the street below her. Neon in every color was visible in the storefront signs, a somehow tantalizing warm glow that hummed with a strange kind of life and power.

The four raptors met quickly. One was breathing hard form a breakneck run of nearly three miles, but she could rest after catching up to walk with Vaz and Jorath.

The raptors sniffed amd called a quick greeting, and more quickly than that Askee-ah's overmind transferred ideas. 

It didn't take much power, though she could sense, with some irritation, that maintaining the new state would. The two new raptors examined each other closely.

Thier muted stripes and patterns, perfect for hiding in the dappled light of forests and helpful for the deep shadows of the city, were painted and splashed with glowing color like the neon signs below. Red, blue, yellow, and bright green, with speckles of moon-like white. One had picked yellow light for her eyes, the other purple.

It was awfully conspicuous for traveling unnoticed as the two demons had been trying to do, so Askee-ah tried to mute the power she allowed to flow to the lights. Would they snap out like bulbs did when she'd crunched them? ... No. The colored lights faded to a dull smoldering glow, hardly brighter than distant streetlamps on reflective paint. She wouldn't be able to hide in shadows, but turning them off altogether meant another effort to get them going again.

The two raptors quickly raced back towards where she knew the two demons' scent trail would be, and spotted them not long after. She called out a note to signal her return, wondring how surprised they'd be at her new appearance.

Vaz didn’t move straight away after Jorath’s prompt, instead meeting the curious gaze of Askee-ah beside them. Though it had done little to ward off Zoe they appreciated the defensive growl they heard in the background when she had edged too close for comfort. In an odd way the intimidation technique actually made them feel a bit safer with the creatures, knowing that they were capable of recognising the threat but demonstrating restraint. It was a sign of a deeper intelligence there, something tangible that Vaz could actually appeal to.

Continue. We will catch up with your scent.

The not-quite-words of the raptors silenced Vaz as they attempted to thank their new ally for the vocal support. The lively beasts moved far too quick for the tired old demon, who managed only a brief ‘But...?’ before they had merged back into the shadows. Amber eyes settled back on Jorath after a moment of staring off into the mist, silently pleading for some fleeting, precious glimpse of normalcy to take hold tonight.

“Is...is this what dreaming is like...?”

Vaz inquired, looking a little light-headed as they began to move again. The total disregard for predictability and logic certainly felt like how a dream worked based on what Vaz had read about them.

“It’s chaotic. I hate it. If you ever catch me unconscious you have permission to start shoving things into a paper shredder until I rise up in vengeance and destroy us both.”

Needing both a distraction and something more comprehensible to focus on, Vaz began to study the pamphlet before them as they walked. Spindly fingers brushed across the surface of the folded paper, inspecting it for any rips or bumps that seemed out of the ordinary. They detected no aura from it, other than the fading trace of Zoe’s flowery script. As far as Vaz could tell the object was just an ordinary piece of paper, no hidden charms or morphing paragraphs that threatened to spell out your darkest desires and fears if you didn’t comply. Shame really, Vaz enjoyed picking apart the poor craftsmanship of anyone that had the audacity to assume that any written language wouldn’t inevitably bow to their whims.

The contents of the pamphlet itself was a fairly standard affair, lots of stock imagery of smiling office employees and Commonspeak babble about how Auris Domniir was the solution to the horrors that currently plagued this world. Personally Vaz felt that they pushed the rising sun and dawning of a new era symbolism far too much but, well, at least they were smart enough to be forging a brand for themselves early on. Perhaps it would be worth chasing the company up on the offer. Vaz closed the pamphlet and settled their gaze on the insignia emblazoned on its front once more.

“I feel as though I’ve seen this somewhere...”

Mused Vaz, a crease in their brow as they tried to categorise the strange symbol before them. It was meant to be a demon’s mark, that much was obvious, but Vaz couldn’t recall the domain or even the realm it hailed from.

“I shall have to consult The Compendium, once we reach a safer place.”

There was a light waver of reverence in their voice as they breathed the name of their beloved tome. Vaz didn’t expect just anyone to understand the weight of the decision, but they shot Jorath an expectant look as though they had just revealed the meaning of life itself and were waiting for him to be suitably shocked or humbled by it.

“It’s been weeks since I’ve last been asked to summon it, you know. I tell you my dear no one appreciates the work the quills and I put into it on a daily basis anymore. The last client wanted to use it as a coaster. Can you imagine the mind-numbing audacity to even COMPREHEND such a horrific thing-“

Vaz had now shifted gears into their rapid-fire variant of Oldspeak, which even for a native speaker could be hard to follow at times. Throwing in the occasional, garbled aeiuwn phrase certainly didn’t help matters. Nor did pointing out to Vaz that they still dipped into it from time to time.

They were half-way through a scathing, elaborate description of the ‘miserable buffoon’ that had tried to utilise The Compendium in such a way when a flicker of bright colours caught their peripherals. Vaz’s head snapped around to meet it, an unreadable set of emotions scurrying through their mind as two technicoloured, slightly luminescent velociraptors stepped into view. Vaz stared. They opened their mouth. They closed it. They opened it for a second attempt at questioning, paused, and took the time to neatly fold their newly acquired pamphlet into one of their many, many pockets before clamping their hands around Jorath’s shoulders and attempting to shake him back and forth.

“The mind-reading dinosaurs are glowing, Jorath. The PSYCHIC VELOCIRAPTORS. Are now MULTI-COLOURED and BIOLUMINESCENT.”

Edited by Lycanious
Grammar fixes, wording changes