Autopilot

Keep Platinum Trophy Egg/Hatclhing Limit once earned.

An achievement is way different from a requirement. It's not what it's called, it is a different meaning. Language is important.

I don't care one way or the other if it is changed in the end, but those words will never mean the same.

You may be required to graduate from high school to get a job, but it is an achievement to win a scholarship with an A average.

9 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

An achievement is way different from a requirement. It's not what it's called, it is a different meaning. Language is important.

I don't care one way or the other if it is changed in the end, but those words will never mean the same.

You may be required to graduate from high school to get a job, but it is an achievement to win a scholarship with an A average.

(y) (y)

It's not just about changing words (and changing limits tied to those words), it's about changing the entire *point* of trophies. Trophies are not 'achievements', period. No matter how much people throw around that word, it's just not accurate for the actual trophy function. Trophies were never meant to be 'yay I did this and now I get that forever and ever!'. They are supposed to be 'I own this many dragons, which is what is needed for this benefit, so now I have the benefit'. 

And honestly that's what frustrates me most about this whole thing. While I don't personally care either way about things changing in this area, it's *not* just a matter of 'allow people to keep what they've earned!'. This sort of change would mean completely changing what trophies *mean*, what they represent. What trophies are *supposed* to be. The whole idea behind having trophies on DC. To me, this is basically taking away the 'old trophies' and replacing them with the same icons but completely different mechanics. 

Edited by HeatherMarie

Are trophies not achievements? Do you not get a trophy or a badge for achieving something in real life, as opposed to simply meeting requirements?

No, they are not achievements.. They are markers that you have met requirements. They sit there telling you how many slots you have because of the number of dragons you own, basically. 

On 5/28/2020 at 7:01 PM, Fiona said:

But eggs slots are not an achievement to be earned. Do you see any achievement badges or such here? No. Because the game doesn't use achievements to mark progress.

I was very honored when TJ used my ideas years ago to revamp the egg slot system. That was when the trophies were introduced into the game, when the "bred egg only" slot disappeared and egg slots and hatchling slots were divorced from each other. The idea was that as you raised more dragons and collected more dragons you gained access to more egg and hatchling slots. Yes, there's a thought of "now that you have x many dragons you're able to take care of more eggs" but mainly the thought was that you earned more slots by having more dragons. Having more dragons on your scroll is a qualifier for egg slots, and not a matter of gaining an achievement.

Trophies here are less like other gaming achievements and more like keeping your grades above a minimum to maintain access to a scholarship, the continued education/testing to keep a certification, or making sure your eyesight is still good enough to continue having a driver's license. Drop below the minimum, and it's gone.

Edited by Kith

* Arguments over whether or not it strictly qualifies as an "achievement" are splitting hairs. All badges are achievements, or milestones, or whatever you want to call them. You did something, you get a thing. In almost every case, once you do that thing you keep the marker and all side effects of having done that thing. Trophies are the exception, not the rule.

* There's a lot of tautological arguments of "well the site says it behaves this way so it should behave this way." The help page is structured to explain how things currently behave. Using it to justify not changing things doesn't actually mean anything.

There is truly no real reason why it couldn't change to be more forgiving. So I'll change it. Unfortunately it won't be able to apply retroactively to people who have already dropped enough in count to have lost a given trophy level, but it will apply going forward from when the change happens.

This is exciting news, thank you TJ!! 
While I myself won't be needing it, I'm glad to see it added in this way.

Thank you! Got here late but all I was gonna say was that agree with the OP and with TJ. 

On 5/29/2020 at 3:14 PM, TJ09 said:

* Arguments over whether or not it strictly qualifies as an "achievement" are splitting hairs. All badges are achievements, or milestones, or whatever you want to call them. You did something, you get a thing. In almost every case, once you do that thing you keep the marker and all side effects of having done that thing. Trophies are the exception, not the rule.

* There's a lot of tautological arguments of "well the site says it behaves this way so it should behave this way." The help page is structured to explain how things currently behave. Using it to justify not changing things doesn't actually mean anything.

There is truly no real reason why it couldn't change to be more forgiving. So I'll change it. Unfortunately it won't be able to apply retroactively to people who have already dropped enough in count to have lost a given trophy level, but it will apply going forward from when the change happens.

It's been close to two years. Are there still plans to implement this?

I'm really ambivalent about the direction that this takes.  But, with regard to the argument about the definition of "required", I think it is open to interpretation.  It's just semantics.  You could say that it was simply required to reach that number, or that it was required to be maintained.  Both are valid. However, clearly, TJ's intention is (at least currently) that it means maintained, and that is how it works in practice.

Several posts here suggest that the OP's requested change would upset or confuse newbies.  So, here goes with one newbie's view.

I joined at the end of March and am currently experiencing a form of tunnel vision, as my focus is single-mindedly concentrated on reaching the next trophy (in my case, silver) in order to give me more egg and hatchling slots.   At the same time, whilst picking up short-timer eggs from the AP, I'm pleased if I can pick up a dragon breed that I haven't yet got on my scroll. I'm quite sure that, even with a platinum trophy, I will never have enough egg and hatchling slots! The recent birthday release has left me egg and hatchling locked and I only have one of each of the 6 so far.

So, would it confuse me if somebody with less than 1,000 dragons on their scroll appeared to have the ability to hold more eggs or hatchlings than me?  Well, if I actually took the time to read the text at the top of their scroll which clearly states how many Grown Dragons they have, I might (fleetingly) wonder why they could have so many immature dragons.  Would it bother me?  Not in the least.  On the, frankly, rare occasion that I actually look at, or pay much attention to, the scrolls of other users, my primary reaction is to be gobsmacked by immediately seeing the serried ranks of dozens of the same dragon.  It is highly unlikely that I will take the time to explore beyond their first page.  The only exception to that was a brief spell where I thought I could make the silhouettes in the encyclopaedia become coloured by finding somebody with multiples of dragons and clicking on them one by one to reach 15 views per dragon.  I can confirm that approach quickly became tedious and I gave it up after unlocking as far as Baikala!

If the argument about confusing players is really a worry, then why not add a line at the top of the scroll so that it says:

Stats
Joined on ...
Grown Dragons ...
Growing Dragons ...
Released/Killed Dragons ...
Unique Breeds ...

Thus far, I love the game and am quickly becoming addicted. I've never played Pokemon (and never will), but fully empathise with the "gotta catch 'em all" attitude.  It is so refreshing to find an interesting game that has no aspect of P2W to it and, for that, I'm prepared to work with scroll limitations.

Aesthetically, in an ideal world, there would be somewhere to keep the unwanted or duplicate dragons concealed in a sort of scroll appendix.  We could believe that they are happily frolicking together in a dragon playground - much nicer than killing them!

EDIT: I wrote this when I was half way down reading page 3. Now I see that TJ agreed to change things so that players can retain their trophies.  From reading the final post, I'm not sure if that is now actioned, but still think my suggestion of including a line to record released or killed dragons would be useful. Also, how about that off-scroll playground?

Edited by LadyMadonna
new information