Caitmonster

A cap on freezing? :/

Okay, so since when was there a hard cap on the number of hatchlings one can freeze? I've never hit a limit before and I've gone on freezing binges to complete sprite sets in the past. I decided to try and finish up a couple more and now all of the sudden I'm capped?

I'm a little puzzled as to why a cap on frozen hatchlings needs to even be a thing. Even if someone is ditching hatchies in the AP and someone grabs mass quantities of them to freeze, isn't that sort of their right once they own it on their scroll? And even if they're doing it to increase their scroll numbers, I can't really see it being a problem. Hatchies that are frozen can't breed or provide any other benefit except numbers. Some people might even be hoarding frozen hatchies for zombies come Halloween. So uh... any reason why this can't be changed?

There is a cap to stop people freezing loads and loads just to get trophies, and just to empty the AP. I've been here since 2010 and there has always been a cap. It goes away in time though.

From the help section:

Freeze

Can be performed on: Unfrozen hatchlings.
Usage Limitations: Can be performed 18 (10 + 2 per trophy level) times per 2 weeks.

The Freeze action allows you to prevent a hatchling from becoming an adult. A frozen hatchling will cease to accumulate views, unique views, and clicks.

Maybe you just never actually hit the cap before ?

Yes, since frozen hatchlings count for trophy goals there has to be a limit. Also, same reason why we can't just have infinite eggs or hatchlings even as plat member. I've always remembered it existing, and even the action page tells you there's a cap on freezes every time you visit:

Freeze

Permanently prevent the hatchling from maturing into an adult. (You can use this action 17 more times before you must wait for a few weeks).

The actual link to the freeze help page lists out dragons that you have frozen recently, to help keep track of when your next slot will return.

https://dragcave.net/help/actions#freeze

CaityG started the same year as me and while we didn't have trophies back then... I honestly can't remember if we had freezing limits then either. :blink: But yes, these days we have scroll Trophies that have in-game benefits and frozen hatchlings count towards those trophies so whether or not we had a limit back in the day, we have one now.

Edited by Terces

There were no limits years ago. I don't remember when the limits started, but it was way after Black alts started. I froze a ton of alt fails.

17 minutes ago, PrincessLucy said:

There were no limits years ago. I don't remember when the limits started, but it was way after Black alts started. I froze a ton of alt fails.

Black dragons were one of the original. Black alts started "after the fog" when the original game sprites were replaced. And there has been a limit since early 2009 at least, because that's when I joined. Over half my scroll is frozen. That limit has always been there.

Edit: I cant prove it was there in 2007-2008. But I also cant find anything that says it wasn't. And the wiki is pretty good at timeline stuff. But I'm fairly confident that the limits been around since the beginning.

Edited by DragonLady86

I started in January of 2009 and I don't remember there not being a limit.

36 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Black dragons were one of the original. Black alts started "after the fog" when the original game sprites were replaced. And there has been a limit since early 2009 at least, because that's when I joined. Over half my scroll is frozen. That limit has always been there.

Edit: I cant prove it was there in 2007-2008. But I also cant find anything that says it wasn't. And the wiki is pretty good at timeline stuff. But I'm fairly confident that the limits been around since the beginning.

No, there were no limits in the beginning.

When limits started, I was freaking out, as I had frozen way over 100 in a week, and I thought it would be months before I could freeze again. I froze a lot in June 2009. Actually, looking quickly at my frozen group, I froze 500 between June 19, 2009 (my first frozen, not sure of freeze date, but that was hatch date) and around Sept 10 (the hatch date for frozen #500).

I have over 4,600 frozens.  https://dragcave.net/group/117358  They are currently sorted by date, but I am way too lazy to check and see when my freezing became limited.

Edited by PrincessLucy

The trophies were added 3rd of May 2010 so I suspect the freeze limit was added around then as well.