MoonShark

Suggested Updates for Festival of Eggs Event

I'm on board for all the suggestions. I can't think of any negatives from implementing changes such as those proposed.

I agree with all 3 points. Maybe extra days and shorter window time combined make it even too easy, but I'm sure that a good combiantion of both can be found.

In my opinion Ester could be another DC Holiday, alongside Halloween, S.Valentine and Christmas.

3 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Same here.

It won't affect me either way, but honestly the whole 'it won't affect you so why be against it' could really be applied to anything and everything. Why a week for ToT, why not two weeks or even the full month of October? All of the holiday mini-games only last a short while, and I have no doubt there are some people who aren't able to play those in the timeframe too. So, lengthen those times too? I'm not trying to be argumentative or snotty about this, really, just pointing out that every event has a specific length of time and regardless of what that length is there will still be people who miss it (and post about missing it and wishing it were longer). 

(Also, expressing the belief that 7 days is too long is no less valid just because some of us can get them all currently. Regardless of whether it will 'affect' us, we still have opinions.)

I am 100% into the idea of a dynamic timer that decreases the cooldown times as it gets closer to the end. To me that actually sounds better than anything else. (Also, YES to banners for the first year of participation! We've had some awesome banners over the years and it really seems unfair that someone who actually participates in collecting the eggs doesn't get the banner that goes along with it just because it's their first year.)

People aren't arguing for a longer ToT or pulling an arbitrary number of days out of the air. They want more than 3 days to collect FoE things they can NEVER get again. 7 days makes the most sense as it aligns with the time frame given during ToT, which has similar number of treats now - as stated previously in this thread. Whether or not the other holidays should be longer is a whole other topic, but all of those are already longer than FoE. 

If one user got lucky and managed to get an egg every 10 minutes they would still have to spend 10 hours on DC to grab all of the eggs. And considering it takes up to 15 minutes sometimes, that's closer to 12-15 hours total. If spread out evenly over the 3 days, that'd be 4-5 hours on DC daily. I actually can't even think of another holiday that demands that much time to complete it. 

So far, I usually managed to get all eggs (eggs-cept in my first year XD) but it gets more stressful than it needs to be when time is running low.

So, 100% support to all 3 suggestions. The dynamic timer can do its magic in 7 days just like it can do in 3 days.

My gf would be happy for all 3, she's getting crazy with this event, especially if near the end she's still missing a lot of eggs. This year I had to listen to an annoying sound of a browser stoper every 15mins, please, spare me that in next years xD

For your number 1 suggestion, I rather prefer that our FoE remain a minor holiday here, but a little longer wouldn't hurt. I just don't know that I'd like to see a full 7 days. But hey, I'm not going to complain about that either way.

Number 2: letting people get eggs from past years that they don't have? Fully in favor. Though I don't have any I've missed, I came close this year, through no ones fault but my own for not staying on top of collecting.

Number 3: shortening the timer: I kind of like Cort's suggestion of a dynamic timer.

Something I want to comment on though. Right now as things are it takes a maximum of 15 hours total at your computer to get all the eggs. We have 72 hours allotted to hunt. There are people who are working long hours who probably actually wouldn't have had time. But for most of us, it comes down to a matter of how invested are you in the game. How much of a priority was it to remember to flick that refresh button periodically? I had other things on my mind this year, so I came close to not getting them all. If I'd had 7 days to hunt I'd have still likely come close to running out of time because I had other things on my mind. Before you complain about not getting them all, ask yourself how invested you were this year. DC has been doing the egg hunt for a lot of years. "I forgot about it" isn't really a valid reason to ask for more days because you'd have probably still forgotten if we had a month. I'm not saying you can't ask even if your only reason was that you forgot. But whose fault was that really?

Full support. At this exact moment in time, I don't have any work commitments, but even so, I barely made the full set for the first time in three years. The previous two years, I was busy with other commitments and completely missed the event aside from a few stray eggs I managed to grab on the last day. Having that extra time would've made it less stressful and much more fun.

Fully support!  Sometimes it’s not a matter in being invested or not. While a good portion of the world is on lockdown right now, there are also a lot of us who work in the frontlines who are extra busy this year be it they work in the medical field or other essential services that keep us fed.  

On 4/15/2020 at 2:43 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

Yes to collecting eggs from earlier years (if it's easily programmable) but I do think 3 days is enough. I had all mine within about 6 hours total, by just wandering past the machine and hitting f5 from time to time.

Lucky you. This is the first time since ever where my participation didn't result in a complete collection. (There's also one year missing completely since I was on vacation back then - don't know which year it was, but I know it happened sometime around year 3 or so.)

I also support an extension and/or a fixed 5 minute rate for drops. It's so annoying to have to refresh over and over (or just wait 15 minutes to slow down your collecting) in the hopes of *finally* getting an egg. I'm not so sure about the dynamic timer, though. People just might be too busy at the end to make use of it, and will disadvantage them greatly. To me, this feels like preferred treatment, which I think shouldn't happen.

And, yes, please to being able to collect old eggs after you're done with the current year.

I think that TJ has a actually posted a direct "no" to this in years past--but I sure wish that I had the year banner at the top of my Festival of Eggs page.  The year banner doesn't come into play until your SECOND festival.  I think TJ said no divider is needed at the top--but it's so ugly.  It wouldn't be so bad if it was just Festival of Eggs followed by eggs--but there's that ugly "share this page with others" and link at the top.  The page would be so much nicer with the year banner after the share this page link.

51 minutes ago, olympe said:

I'm not so sure about the dynamic timer, though. People just might be too busy at the end to make use of it, and will disadvantage them greatly. To me, this feels like preferred treatment, which I think shouldn't happen.

Why so? It would only affect people who *haven't* been able to get their eggs in the past few days, and it would do so positively.

I would really like if we could have a chance to collect event tokens from past years. I love the satisfaction of completing things, so being able to get all the tokens would be pretty great... And especially now that the events are open to more spriters, everyone is more likely to have friend that has made a token, and might really want to get the ones made by friends!

39 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Why so? It would only affect people who *haven't* been able to get their eggs in the past few days, and it would do so positively.

Well, imagine you only have the first day of the event available to collect. Given you'd have to collect 60 items that drop at an average interval of 10 minutes (which is probably accurate for the last Easter egg hunt), it would take you 10 hours to collect them all. Which is excessive.

Now, imagine you only have the last day left. Imagine further that the average drop interval has gone down to maybe 3 minutes. It'd "only" take you 3 hours to collect them all.

If you were that person who only has day one free to hunt, wouldn't you be pissed you'd have to make much more of an effort? And, after it happens for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time, wouldn't you ask for this to be changes so all people can collect at an equal speed?

In essence: Why ask for a system that people will ask to change again because they got the short straw? Why not make all straws equal? So, yes, I'd rather have a 5-minute interval or even a *new* egg being available on each mini-drop/shuffle, so all five minutes. This way, you'll always know exactly when to look for an egg.

3 hours ago, random_dragon_collector said:

I think that TJ has a actually posted a direct "no" to this in years past--but I sure wish that I had the year banner at the top of my Festival of Eggs page.  The year banner doesn't come into play until your SECOND festival.  I think TJ said no divider is needed at the top--but it's so ugly.  It wouldn't be so bad if it was just Festival of Eggs followed by eggs--but there's that ugly "share this page with others" and link at the top.  The page would be so much nicer with the year banner after the share this page link.

I would point out, that the first festival of eggs did not have a banner so everyone has that above their top eggs. Which is apparently TJs reason why newer people don't need one their first year. I highly disagree on the grounds that the banner art comes out in a paired group with that years eggs and should be available to anyone that has at least one of those eggs.

On 4/16/2020 at 5:59 PM, DragonLady86 said:

I would point out, that the first festival of eggs did not have a banner so everyone has that above their top eggs. Which is apparently TJs reason why newer people don't need one their first year. I highly disagree on the grounds that the banner art comes out in a paired group with that years eggs and should be available to anyone that has at least one of those eggs.

Seconding this as I would definitely like the banner from the year I began! 

I'd enjoy extending the event to a week and having past eggs show up after you have all of the current year's.

On 4/16/2020 at 4:15 AM, schenanigans said:

People aren't arguing for a longer ToT or pulling an arbitrary number of days out of the air. They want more than 3 days to collect FoE things they can NEVER get again. 7 days makes the most sense as it aligns with the time frame given during ToT, which has similar number of treats now - as stated previously in this thread. Whether or not the other holidays should be longer is a whole other topic, but all of those are already longer than FoE. 

If one user got lucky and managed to get an egg every 10 minutes they would still have to spend 10 hours on DC to grab all of the eggs. And considering it takes up to 15 minutes sometimes, that's closer to 12-15 hours total. If spread out evenly over the 3 days, that'd be 4-5 hours on DC daily. I actually can't even think of another holiday that demands that much time to complete it. 

I support this thread, but I do take issue with the conclusion that you're spending "10 hours on DC." For me, I was falling really behind this year so I set 15 minute timers in the evenings. I wasn't playing consistently on the site, simply refreshing and clicking once when the timer went off. That's not really 10 hours of play, that's a couple minutes of play staggered over several hours, which I think is an important difference.

Yeah it's not 10 straight hours but it still is a significant amount of time to spend on a collecting game that doesn't really engage you or require you participate in any extra stuff on the site. With Halloween, there IS other stuff to do, there are exclusive eggs in the AP, trades are popping, you get to breed your once-a-years, sometimes we even get another event on top of the ToT stuff, so the treat collecting time there fits in alright with the additional extra time an average user might spend on the site doing all the exclusive stuff. With Easter there isn't really any reason for people to spend extra time on DC... there are no exclusives, no reason to change your playing habits except to collect (not that i want there to be more easter events, i think just this is fine, just that it should be longer). So with Easter those "10 hours" are both more concentrated and have the egg collecting itself take up a higher % of the time you're spending on DC.. maybe during Halloween I'd be on DC more because I'm scouring the AP more, I'm breeding more of my dragons, I'm doin my zombie stuff, I'm overall spending more time on the site, and ToT compliments that. Definitely not the case with Easter. I would like the event to better compliment the amount of time I am spending on DC without extra festivities and imo a week is satisfactory there.

Just now, Dew said:

Yeah it's not 10 straight hours but it still is a significant amount of time to spend on a collecting game that doesn't really engage you or require you participate in any extra stuff on the site. With Halloween, there IS other stuff to do, there are exclusive eggs in the AP, trades are popping, you get to breed your once-a-years, sometimes we even get another event on top of the ToT stuff, so the treat collecting time there fits in alright with the additional extra time an average user might spend on the site doing all the exclusive stuff. With Easter there isn't really any reason for people to spend extra time on DC... there are no exclusives, no reason to change your playing habits except to collect (not that i want there to be more easter events, i think just this is fine, just that it should be longer). So with Easter those "10 hours" are both more concentrated and have the egg collecting itself take up a higher % of the time you're spending on DC.. maybe during Halloween I'd be on DC more because I'm scouring the AP more, I'm breeding more of my dragons, I'm doin my zombie stuff, I'm overall spending more time on the site, and ToT compliments that. Definitely not the case with Easter. I would like the event to better compliment the amount of time I am spending on DC without extra festivities and imo a week is satisfactory there.

I agree with all of your points. As I said, I'm fully in support of the suggestions being made here. I just thought it was important to draw a distinction there, because the "10 hours" figure felt really misleading to me.

I think it may be important to clarify that it's not always a case of "I forgot this year".  As my basket indicates, I have consistently had trouble getting the easter eggs each year.   It's not like I don't spend a fair amount of time on DC (trust me, I could even point you to a couple folks who are sick of my AP breeding/  I am quite certain they'll vouch for me that I am obviously here WAAYYY too much. ;))  Regardless, as an adult with a full time job, my play style doesn't routinely spread across enough hours to grab all of the eggs in 3 days.  I also suspect that Sunday/Monday/Tuesday aren't real heavy DC days for me.   Like someone else mentioned, Halloween is never an issue for me, as I am constantly on DC doing holiday things... like checking the AP at 3 AM when I happen to wake up to roll over & realize that I likely had eggs hatch while I was sleeping. :D

No, there are a lot of people to whom "I forgot" doesn't apply. There were a significant number in the event thread though complaining that they'd forgotten about the event and wouldn't have time to finish. They were also wishing they had more time. It's for the people who were working long hours that I'd like to see more time added. :)

Absolutely 100% full support to all three points. There are eggs I wasn't lucky enough to get in earlier years that I would kill for (lookin' at you, awesome Homestuck egg). As for the timing, I would like more time, definitely. While I'm fortunate enough to have a desk job now where I can take two seconds to refresh a computer and click on an egg, that hasn't historically been the case for me. I assume any retail workers or students playing who might risk their job or phone to click on pixel eggs would appreciate an extension.