MoonShark

Suggested Updates for Festival of Eggs Event

We're coming upon the end of another wonderful FoE event, and I'm grateful to all of the wonderful spriters and to TJ for making it possible. It's so much fun collecting the eggs and seeing all the new and interesting designs submitted each year.

However, I believe that there are a few updates that could be made to the FoE event to make it even better. I know I'm not the only person who thinks the same.

ONE: Most importantly, I believe we need a longer period of time for egg collection. Easter isn't a holiday for everyone, but it is for a lot of people. Other people have busy work schedules, school schedules, etc. With the number of eggs released each year (60+!!!), it works out to quite the time commitment to hunt them all in three days. Halloween's ToT event gets a full week, since it's tied into the Halloween breeding week, and it's a lot less stressful. I recommend extending FoE's collection time to a full seven days.

• There have been some suggestions of extending the time period by one or two days. Although that would help, I believe a full week, akin to what we have during Halloween's ToT event, would be the most helpful in allowing a comfortable and fun collection time for players.

TWO: Allow collection of eggs from past years. This would have no effect at all on game play, but would allow players who love to "collect them all" a chance to fill out baskets that are missing eggs or even full years' worth. It could be implemented as a "once you collect this year's, random eggs from past years spawn." (This could be applied to ToT as well, but the topic of this thread is FoE.)

• It has been suggested that this be optional for players, in case someone doesn't care about collecting them all and would rather not have sprites bouncing around their screen.

THREE: This one is optional, and related to #1--because of the kind of time commitments people often have around Easter holidays time, it would be helpful if the spawn rates were closer to 5 minutes rather than 5-15. Even a tighter window of 5-10 minutes could cut the collection time by a third for those who have unlucky spawn rates. However, it may not be as necessary with a longer collection period.

• Alternative method: Corteo made the interesting suggestion of a dynamic timer that gets shorter the less time remaining to collect.

Thank you for considering this request, and please, let's keep the discussion in this thread civil. I know there are differing opinions on this topic, but my goal here is to offer options to make FoE more fun and less stress, so we can better enjoy the pretty egg sprites. :D

Edited by MoonShark

I totally agree, and really hope to see this put into play; both an increase to 7days as Halloween is, and finishing previous years! 

Since we have had retired breeds return, CB Halloween limits lifted, etc I don't think this is far fetched, and I'm not sure how coding goes, but I think it would be easy enough, just change the sprites to add previous years?

If nothing else, I do hope a faster spawn rate (10 mins MAX) would greatly help many users finish their collections in time. Working 40hr (more like 50 or 60 with the virus right now) makes it hard to keep up, but I was able to finish this years. The only other year I have completed is 2016, sadly, and would LOVE a chance to finish the rest!

I wouldn't mind this. While I've never had issues collecting all the eggs or treats during holiday events, I don't have huge family gatherings to attend or a romantic partner in need of attention on specific holidays. But I remember the days as a kid where the former was a thing for me and I know that's rather common for people my age now, I'm just weird.

So I'll support this, for those not as free-time-lucky as me. And collecting past years' eggs would be cool. *jelly of all the pretty pre-2017 eggs that she missed because late joiner*

These are all excellent points and I support these suggestions.  I'm sure others will be be much more eloquent in any pros & cons they spot, but all the other holidays have been re-tooled, time-wise, to make it less of a hassle to squeeze in enough time during the day to collect the max of whatever special event item is dropping.  Doing the same for FoE would be much appreciated.

And thank you again to all the spriters, artists, writers, etc. and to TJ, as well, for all the fun these events have brought to the site over the years. We do appreciate all the hard work! :wub:

Edited by Sunrunner

This would be nice. Yes, I am able to currently grab all of them within the first day, but not everyone has the time to get them in three days. It would be nice to have a week, like we get with Trick or Treat, personally.

I wouldn't mind this happening. Seeing that last year's ToT had a week long to collect roughly the same amount of eggs we had for FoE this year, it'd make sense to increase the time to a week for FoE.

I would also love having a chance of getting the eggs I've missed in past years.

This would be so amazing, Once again I got busy with family and then work rush yesterday and then had to sleep...and woke up to the event being over so never finished mine which makes me really sad because I want to be able to appreciate all the hard work the artists and now our users put into these events. I would so support either shorter spawning time or overall longer time period (doesn't affect people who finish early as they have nothing left to appear) and even more so the chance to get older eggs in following years. With the advent calendar we were able to do old Xmas events last year and it was awesome. Please let us be able to do that for the eggies. Maybe make the chance to collect the older eggs tied to some tasks like breeding/growing/picking up eggs or some daily/action-generated "currency" like we had for buying the decorations in the advent calendar?

Edited by Alwerien

Please, yes, to all of this! Especially this year! Something fun and happy like this would... really brighten my day, honestly.

Maybe 2 weeks, maybe a MONTH, to collect every egg ever if you'd missed out on a lot? I know I'd love a chance at that.

I work 4-5 days out of the week at a supermarket- I'm honestly around people, having to YELL at people to back up! I hate it!

I wish I could stay at home with my mom and take care of things but I gotta be the one to make money rn to support us.

Edited by TheDarkLatias

As someone who is inconsistent with this (some years are busier than others), any kind of change would be nice. Sometimes i have a lot more time to collect and it has been that way since i started playing again, this year was different and the fact that i've been having the attention span of a goldfish on top if it all, didnt help much haha

i like everything that was suggested and really would be happy with any/all of them

I fully support all three of those suggestions; I'd love to get the chance to get older eggs and more time to get the current ones since I missed a few this year.

I fully support all three of the suggestions. Implementing them would make the event even more perfect. Extending the event for a full week is such an excellent idea, and a consistent 5 minute drop would  be such a so wonderful. Being able to get the eggs from past Easter Festival of Eggs would just be fabulous. I can't say enough good things about the suggestions.

Full 100% support.

Full support from me. Three days is not enough time for many people to get all of those eggs, especially with all that's going on right now. While I'd be incredibly happy with all three suggestions, even just the first one would make the FoE so much better in years to come.

I honestly don't see the need for a full 7 day FoE, that really feels like overkill. I'd support an extra day, maybe even an extra two days, although I think the better option is just #3, decreasing the 'cooldown' time between eggs. A straight 5 minutes for everyone would be wonderful, and *should* be enough for most people to be able to collect them all. (Actually something even shorter like 2 or 3 minutes would be great, that way even people who miss a day or two wouldn't have to rush!)

edit: And 100% support on #2! I've gotten every egg most years but I think I remember not getting any one year a long time ago, or maybe I just got a couple. Regardless I think it would be wonderful for newer players, and it's be wonderful for all that amazing artwork to be seen by newer players!

Edited by HeatherMarie

I would suggest a dynamic timer that, as the time to finishes, gets shorter (to maybe no shorter than 2/3 minutes at the very end).  I would also support an extra day and backloading at the end with previous years.

Oh by far I am supporting all three suggestions and since collecting doesn't effect game play and is mainly for collecting beautiful art anyways there really shouldn't be any reason why these suggestions shouldn't be approved especially since last Christmas we where able to do the same basic thing evolving past Christmas events!

I would love to be able to get previous years' eggs, I missed basically all of them. 

I support this, but not maybe 7 day long drop but shorter intervals between spawning each egg. I would suggest rather 5 day long event, or 3 day long with short intervals. Like 5 minutes between spawns.

Also idea with dynamic timer would be fine for me.

Gathering eggs from previous year would be great, why not to implement it? This game is about collecting, so if we are able to collect all dragons breeds from all years, then why not apply this to FoE or even ToT?

I support this wholeheartedly. And I'd love to have a chance to get the eggs that I missed! It is such a pity that those of us who either started later, or couldn't collect all for a variety of reasons, won't have a chance to admire the wonderful work of all those spriters and artists that took the time to make these lovely eggs. I often go to the FoE or ToT page when I feel a bit down and look at all the lovely things there and soon it makes me smile again. Bring back our smiles, especially in this troubling time, and let us collect bygone egg treats (and Halloween treats), too. ❤️

It would be epic to let us catch past years' eggs (and treats from the Halloween event!). There are a lot beautiful eggs that were released when I was not a member of this site yet, so this would be a dream come true :wub:

The lasting time of the event for me, this year, was enough, but I see that for a lot of different reasons can make one feel stressed about not being able to collect all the eggs.

I totally support these ideas and hope for their implementation in the next events!!

Yes to collecting eggs from earlier years (if it's easily programmable) but I do think 3 days is enough. I had all mine within about 6 hours total, by just wandering past the machine and hitting f5 from time to time.

5 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I honestly don't see the need for a full 7 day FoE, that really feels like overkill. I'd support an extra day, maybe even an extra two days, although I think the better option is just #3, decreasing the 'cooldown' time between eggs. A straight 5 minutes for everyone would be wonderful, and *should* be enough for most people to be able to collect them all. (Actually something even shorter like 2 or 3 minutes would be great, that way even people who miss a day or two wouldn't have to rush!)

edit: And 100% support on #2! I've gotten every egg most years but I think I remember not getting any one year a long time ago, or maybe I just got a couple. Regardless I think it would be wonderful for newer players, and it's be wonderful for all that amazing artwork to be seen by newer players!

1 hour ago, Cyberr said:

I support this, but not maybe 7 day long drop but shorter intervals between spawning each egg. I would suggest rather 5 day long event, or 3 day long with short intervals. Like 5 minutes between spawns.

Also idea with dynamic timer would be fine for me.

Gathering eggs from previous year would be great, why not to implement it? This game is about collecting, so if we are able to collect all dragons breeds from all years, then why not apply this to FoE or even ToT?

For those of you saying 7 days is too long, I don't understand why that would be an issue. If you finish earlier, there is nothing going on for you, it doesn't affect you in any way. It only helps those people who would use that extra time and be grateful for it, why is that an issue to you?

Support!

First point - tottaly! Mayby 7 days is too much for somebody.. but any one extra day will be helpfull for this who dont have too much time.

About point "TWO" - mayby this could be on in Birthday Event? or other very special day when we have one day to collect few random sprites from previous years (Easter and... Halloween). Or mayby new one-day very special event? "Back to the Past" or "Wayback Time Machine" with past things like easter/hw sprites owo

Seven days long would be nice... that way if you have a few busy days that happen to cluster around the event, hopefully you'll still have at least a couple days still available for catching. The eggs have always been fun, but this time I didn't even catch one.

I support extending the time to 7 days like the Halloween event. I don't see what it would hurt. I have no problem gathering the eggs in time -- if I remember to look -- but not everyone has as much time as I do! If the time can't be extended then I definitely think the interval between eggs should be shortened.

49 minutes ago, Alwerien said:

For those of you saying 7 days is too long, I don't understand why that would be an issue. If you finish earlier, there is nothing going on for you, it doesn't affect you in any way. It only helps those people who would use that extra time and be grateful for it, why is that an issue to you?

Don't get me wrong - I don't care. I just can't see the need.