Shadowdrake

Make April game mint instantly abandonable (or game optional)

I get all excited and hopeful EVERY YEAR ! (I only have two CB invertmints myself. I live in hope.)

Personally I would rather see it still continue and not be optional. It is after all, just one slot for 5 hours 1 day  a year.  And it makes more of them dropped to the AP later on which gives people who want them a chance to catch some.

@Fuzzbucket, I plan on breeding for you in a few hours 

50 minutes ago, 49ER said:

And it makes more of them dropped to the AP later on which gives people who want them a chance to catch some.

I don't think it's fair to force other people to take an egg just so someone else will have a chance to benefit. It may be one slot for 5 hours once a year, but the holiday is also once a year and maybe someone else wants a cave thing that is born on April 1st and not a mint.

I think it makes sense to make this optional - get a choice either to skip the event altogether or to return to it at some point later, and go to the regular biomes first. We've been doing this for a few years, not everyone who has been here or will be here for multiple years will want to keep participating. As a recurring event I don't think it needs to be mandatory.

Can they even be abandoned? I haven't tried... I know the option isn't greyed out on hatchlings, though. (Saw it when I was naming my hatchling.)

3 minutes ago, olympe said:

Can they even be abandoned? I haven't tried... I know the option isn't greyed out on hatchlings, though. (Saw it when I was naming my hatchling.)

Of course. Every year a few days after April 1st, they pepper the AP and people go absolutely mad attempting to hunt them. Similarly trade-locked dragons are also abandonable (market dragons, prize dragons).

I really don't think it is that big a deal.  If someone wanted to catch cb April 1st cave eggs, they can come on at midnight, do the dilemma, and then come back 5 hours later to drop the egg they got if they got one.  In the meantime, they STILL have 3 to 7 other slots to hunt with.  And I get the feeling that if anything, if there are all these complaints, TJ will just discontinue it, which I think will make a lot more people unhappy.

Posted (edited)

TJ has given his thoughts in this thread already and it didn't look like he was threatening to discontinue it. I don't think it's fair to dismiss people's thoughts based on that possibility.

Gotta keep in mind that not everyone's schedule is that flexible. We don't all get the chance to play more than once a day or even every day. A 5 hour wait for some people means giving up hunting for the rest of the day completely.

This suggestion isn't making it a big deal, it's just asking for a way to opt out of a small event. It's not a big change.

An additional option like "Maybe next year (skip this event)" would work just fine.

Edited by Dew

11 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

I don't think it's fair to force other people to take an egg just so someone else will have a chance to benefit. It may be one slot for 5 hours once a year, but the holiday is also once a year and maybe someone else wants a cave thing that is born on April 1st and not a mint.

And you have the other 19 hours to get one. And the rest of your egg slots too. It would only take up ONE egg slot.

9 hours ago, Dew said:

Gotta keep in mind that not everyone's schedule is that flexible. We don't all get the chance to play more than once a day or even every day. A 5 hour wait for some people means giving up hunting for the rest of the day completely.

This suggestion isn't making it a big deal, it's just asking for a way to opt out of a small event. It's not a big change.

An additional option like "Maybe next year (skip this event)" would work just fine.

I don't understand how this is any different than a miss-click. Its ONE egg slot. It is not preventing you from hunting or breeding.

Misclicks are player mistakes, random chance from an unskippable event is not. Player mistakes have a place in games.

This is not the end of the world by any means, but I don't really understand the resistance to it, since allowing people to skip wouldn't be a disruption to anyone who wanted to play.

Since you know April 1st is coming, you could plan around it. Like *not* entering a biome unless you're locked. (I don't know for sure, but as long as you're hunting commons, you should be able to abandon an egg and grab the common without triggering the event...)

eh, i don't think users need to be made to jump through hoops to avoid an event if they don't want to play it. imo, i don't think the event HAS to be triggered by entering the biomes, it was a fun surprise the first time but now it's become a regular April Fools' thing with an announcement and all... i'd sooner just give it a little event banner like the bigger events get, than frustrate folks who aren't interested in the game and the mints.

Agreed. It's a simple quality-of-life change to make things easier. Is it really losing anything to move the event from the biomes to a banner or otherwise make it a choice?

I feel like the way it works now is very much in keeping with the spirit of the holiday. It's like the cave is playing a prank on the players. If someone wants to play an April Fool's prank on you you don't just opt out. It's all in good fun.

I love the mints and it is SO cool when some people abandon them, I'd be disappointed if it were made optional and there were less of them in the AP. Do it for those of us who love them and lost! ❤️ ❤️❤️ It's only 1 slot... If it locked you up completely with mints, I can understand why people would get upset, but 1 slot, come on.

(Ooooooooh, did I just come up with a new prank for next year? Locking up the entire scroll with mints if you win an egg? No idea if it can be done code-wise, but if there was some way of making it look like that happened, but all except the 1 actual egg went away if you clicked them or refreshed, that would be a cool prank... Evil. :D :D :D TJ??)

I support making it optional or at least allowing getting rid of it instantly as it takes up valuable scroll space for 5 hours and is currently unavoidable as there is no option to avoid an egg at all unless rng decides that you don't get one. 

Maybe the egg could count as an abandoned egg and be auto-abandonable, but I really don't think that or the fact that it occupies biomes is a big deal. I mean, it's once per year. Surely there's nothing else you're doing on DC that MUST be done on April 1st.

Anyway, I'm a longtime player and only got my first upside-down Mint this year. So while I'm open to tweaks, it still has value to older players.

6 hours ago, cbussiere said:

Maybe the egg could count as an abandoned egg and be auto-abandonable, but I really don't think that or the fact that it occupies biomes is a big deal. I mean, it's once per year. Surely there's nothing else you're doing on DC that MUST be done on April 1st.

This, exactly. It's five hours out of 8,760. (OH the things being locked down get me doing...)

Posted (edited)

I'd like for this to be optional or the Mint be instantly abandonable. The upside-down Mints are fun, but I've got three now, I don't really want any more. So I wouldn't want to get a slot taken with something I don't want.

Edited by KrazyKarp

On 4/26/2020 at 11:07 PM, cbussiere said:

Anyway, I'm a longtime player and only got my first upside-down Mint this year. So while I'm open to tweaks, it still has value to older players.

These are my thoughts on this as well. I also got my very first upside down mint this year too. I'd prefer that if any changes have to be made, users can opt out or the egg is insta-abandonable if not.