Shadowdrake

Make April game mint instantly abandonable (or game optional)

1. You currently get no choice in whether you play the game or not: this means for 24h, you're not allowed to visit biomes without taking a 50/50 (?) gamble on getting a mint.

2. If you get the mint, it takes up a precious eggslot on your scroll for 5 hours, which may be more time than people have to play.

3. So if you don't like the game rewards at all you're still forced to take a coin flip on whether you'll waste 15 seconds or 5 hours on something you know you'll abandon anyway when you just wanted to cave hunt.

Basically make mint optional in some way. Being forced to take egg seems counter to the point of DC.

Edited by Shadowdrake

I actually didn't even realize dragon's dilemma eggs had a 5-hour cooldown. Being from the 'biomes' in a certain way, I guess it's logical they would. But as you said, the non-choice makes this different than simply misclicking and having to wait to abandon. Personally, rather than 'instantly abandonable' I'd rather simply be given a choice whether to accept the egg or not. I can't remember the exact text in the game, but it could instead say something like 'the dragon offers you an egg, do you accept it?'.  This is an interesting topic given that these are the *only* eggs/dragons in the entire game that you are forced to take, without being given an option. 

Of course, simply making the game optional would be good enough I guess.

I was not aware it wasn't optional.  I guess since I wanted to try for it, I just did not know

I really think getting stuck with an egg for 5 hours once a year isn't a huge issue. But sure, make the game optional if people mind that much.

Most people mind far more that they only get one chance.

But it doesn't bother me either way. I like mints. But if others would rather get rid of them, that is also fine.

Don't make it optional - or new players will misunderstand the optional option and use it instead of trying for an upside-down mint. This is much more of a problem (only one chance a year) than having to deal with a 5-hour lock IMHO.

I'm not strictly against changing the event to account for the fact that people might not want to participate for one reason or another, but I do find it interesting that this has only come up after four years of the Dragon's Dilemma. Perhaps that's more a sign that once you've experienced all it has to offer, there's not a ton of value in continuing to interrupt things with an event people have seen over and over.

No no no I need more upsydownsies. PLEASE don't end it ! (and some people have never seen it. There are new players every year.)

SOME of us are breeding specifically from them. and as far as i can see there is only one person in this thread who actually wants it made optional - everyone else is "well, I SUPPOSE it doesn't matter...."

1 hour ago, TJ09 said:

Perhaps that's more a sign that once you've experienced all it has to offer, there's not a ton of value in continuing to interrupt things with an event people have seen over and over.

But before you consider removing it, keep in mind some people are still not done with it and that new players are a thing too.
I was incredibly lucky and got a flipped Mint every year so far (traded them at first while it was still possible, but last year I decided to go for a CB pair to make purebloods and I'm happy I can now, but if I weren't lucky this year again...you know what I want to say) but many probably didn't even get 1 yet, not to mention bigger goals.
Don't make the same mistake again, no more black Sweetlings, pancakes, CB Hybrids, things you can't get if you were either unlucky or found out about the game too late... Don't make PB flipped Mints into another artificially valuable-over-time thing fewer and fewer players can provide (ekhm, PB Hollies, I need 2 of you since I can't have 1 CB female BECAUSE and you EXIST, but I still can't have even one of you 2 no matter what I'd offer, and I would offer ANYTHING and over value. Unfair.). Just don't add more into this mess.

Edited by VixenDra

I need more 2 gen PBs from CB flipped. I need there to be people who can make them for me. I'm only up to 5th gen *sobs uncontrollably* 

3 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Perhaps that's more a sign that once you've experienced all it has to offer, there's not a ton of value in continuing to interrupt things with an event people have seen over and over.

2 hours ago, VixenDra said:

But before you consider removing it, keep in mind some people are still not done with it and that new players are a thing too.
<snip>
Don't make the same mistake again, no more black Sweetlings, pancakes, CB Hybrids, things you can't get if you were either unlucky or found out about the game too late..

I agree wholeheartedly with @VixenDra on this! Please don't discontinue them.

Things that not everyone can have or have a chance at make for hard feelings. This is at heart a collector's game for many of the players here and not being able to have everything in their collection is very disappointing.

There may be a few people who are done with this, but there are many, many more who are eager to collect as many as they can -- even those of us who are primarily breeders! I have only one so far and desperately want a breeding pair!

3 hours ago, TJ09 said:

I'm not strictly against changing the event to account for the fact that people might not want to participate for one reason or another, but I do find it interesting that this has only come up after four years of the Dragon's Dilemma. Perhaps that's more a sign that once you've experienced all it has to offer, there's not a ton of value in continuing to interrupt things with an event people have seen over and over.

It's the best event of the year!  Silly mints and the great sprites!  Breeding fool lineages is so awesome!  I've gotten a fool mint from the AP two years in a row!  I've gotten two from the dillemma and was eaten this year, and I love it!

That fact that it took four years to come up implies to me that the number of people upset by the idea are incredibly small compared to those who enjoy the event. One egg slot for 5 hours once a year IF you get lucky isn't going to kill anyone.

I -just- got my first upside-down mint!  Please please please don't change it because a few (if that) people are upset about possibly losing an egg slot for 5 hours once a year. 

This is my first time even being around to do the event, and I haven't even gotten one yet! I would at least want to have one at some point. I don't think that it should be changed since newer players, such as myself, should be able to try to get it. Having one less egg slot temporarily is not a big deal if you don't want the upside-down mint, since you can just keep it off hatcheries and release it when you get the chance to.

I play DC for few years and honestly I didn't got any upsie-downsie so please, don't remove this event. I want someday to get one.

Anyway, if someone really wants, then it could be optional but personally I don't see it as necessary action to make this event optional.

Edited by Cyberr

1 hour ago, DragonLady86 said:

That fact that it took four years to come up implies to me that the number of people upset by the idea are incredibly small compared to those who enjoy the event. One egg slot for 5 hours once a year IF you get lucky isn't going to kill anyone.

EXACTLY this :) 

If some people want it to be optional, fine....Maybe a better chance for me? 😁  Actually, I'd like them to be tradeable as they were the first year. Whatever gets me more. (yes, I know, the boss says no.)

The tradeable thing would still leave people with the 5 hour wait they seem to be too impatient to handle !

9 hours ago, TJ09 said:

This wasn't suggested out of discontent on my end either, just pointing out what seemed like an oversight. I doubt there are many vocal people upset about it, but the fact that there are cave mints of both results peppering the AP afterwards suggests there are, inevitably, people who would rather it be optional.

Completely stopping production of an otherwise-exclusive dragon feels like a backwards step though, especially given the relatively high chance that someone may still have not managed to get one even if they played the game all years it was available.

(Besides, if we want to talk about delayed suggestions we could talk about how long it took for vampires not having the egg on their action page to get noticed...)

Edited by Shadowdrake

Why not just make the Dilemma the same as event notices? Instead of having to go into a biome for it to activate, have a li'l banner at the top of the main page/user scrolls that direct them to the Dragon's Dilemma page if they haven't played yet, otherwise the cave and everything's available as normal. People who don't wanna play, or don't wanna play yet can ignore the banner to their heart's content.

2 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Why not just make the Dilemma the same as event notices? Instead of having to go into a biome for it to activate, have a li'l banner at the top of the main page/user scrolls that direct them to the Dragon's Dilemma page if they haven't played yet, otherwise the cave and everything's available as normal. People who don't wanna play, or don't wanna play yet can ignore the banner to their heart's content.

This would be a nice change. I don't like that there's no choice to avoid the Dragon's Dilemma, especially since it locks the biomes until you interact with the game. Only way I can avoid the game at this current juncture is to egglock myself for an entire day or get stuck with a Mint (which I don't want) for five hours. 

9 hours ago, Stromboli said:

I like this suggestion the best. This way if a player doesn't want to play it doesn't interfere with gameplay for them.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:41 AM, Shadowdrake said:

Completely stopping production of an otherwise-exclusive dragon feels like a backwards step though, especially given the relatively high chance that someone may still have not managed to get one even if they played the game all years it was available.

I wasn't suggesting removing the event entirely, no. All I said is that people who have participated in the event (multiple times, even) probably get less out of it than people who are seeing it for the first time.