trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

2 hours ago, trystan said:

the US and that Orange Thing scares me too! and i live in the US.  the Governors are doing more than the Orange Thing.  if you want to know what a real President should sound like in these times, find a daily press briefing from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. (you can actually google "daily press briefing from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo" and get a few hits, too.)

@Astreya - Tom Baker for me. :D 

Maryland's governor, Larry Hogan is doing a great job of keeping people informed, too, and making the tough decisions when they need to be made. There was actually a push last year for him to run in the Republican presidential primary against Trump, but he decided against it and I am glad because sadly it would have been a losing battle that would have distracted him and we need him here offering the sensible, responsible leadership that we are not getting from higher up.

14 minutes ago, Hanelli said:

well where can we go for updated stat counts then?

Why do we need to hang on the numbers? It does us no good to know the exact numbers and only makes us more anxious.

Edited by purplehaze

29 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Why do we need to hang on the numbers? It does us no good to know the exact numbers and only makes us more anxious.

agree.

i have a webpage for my county bookmarked that has a lot of good links that keep me updated.  my governor Tom Wolfe has done some good things too, including the response to the virus.  better than You Know Who...

2 hours ago, trystan said:

the US and that Orange Thing scares me too! and i live in the US.  the Governors are doing more than the Orange Thing.  if you want to know what a real President should sound like in these times, find a daily press briefing from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. (you can actually google "daily press briefing from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo" and get a few hits, too.)

Your NY guy is amazing. Calm, levelheaded, concise. Exactly what you need at a time like this. 

2 hours ago, olympe said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ Apparently not a good site. Do not recommend.

Really? I've found them to be good.

But I like the one you linked, @Astreya. Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Your NY guy is amazing. Calm, levelheaded, concise. Exactly what you need at a time like this. 

my PA guy isn't too bad either, he doesn't have daily briefings that i'm aware of, but the Governors are really in control of this thing, and the Orange Thing doesn't like being upstaged. boo hoo. XD 

My Kentucky governor is also doing good things.  He has closed all non-essential businesses starting tomorrow evening.  He is making daily briefings.  

I heard news weeks ago that my aunt-in-law was in self-isolation due to she worked in hotspot. And I just heard she got positive. Oh my...

On 3/21/2020 at 12:50 AM, StormBirdRising said:

I didn't read your links because there is so much information regarding the COVID 19 that is being spread that is inaccurate. One person says it, ten people repeat it, and then it shows up in print as if it is a fact, with the legendary "sources say" or "experts say" without naming the sources or the experts. Similar to the unsubstantiated and baseless rumors about the US President trying to "poach" formulas and scientists working on a vaccine for the COVID 19, even after German pharmaceutical company CureVac insists it did not receive any offer from U.S. President Donald Trump to secure exclusive rights to a potential coronavirus vaccine, despite the German government and the company's main investor saying it did.

CureVac deputy CEO Franz-Werner Haas said on Tuesday “there was and is no offer" from Trump "or any governmental organizations" to take over the company or "to have manufacturing slots reserved" for exclusive vaccine production for the U. S. market. The Tübingen-based company on Sunday and Monday rejected all reports that Trump had attempted to snatch up exclusive rights to the firm's coronavirus vaccine, which is currently being developed in cooperation with a taxpayer-funded German Institute.  CureVac CEO Franz-Werner said he had heard the rumors but had no idea where they came from.

I left you a link a few days ago that addresses your first paragraph. Did you read it? The Guardian is a very reputable source. There are other sources out there that corroborate that account as well, that's just the one I chose to use. If you choose not to read it, I accept that, but to state you're not reading links because of all the misinformation happening is very strange. You still use the internet, despite all the misinformation on it, right? I would also like to see sources, please, for your second paragraph. 

8 hours ago, trystan said:

California's governor, Gavin Newsom, has also been excellent about this: communicative and not sugar-coating when this will end. 

Edited by purpledragonclaw

1 minute ago, purpledragonclaw said:

California's governor, Gavin Newsom, has also been excellent about this: communicative and not sugar-coating when this will end. 

all the governors have been excellent in this crisis.

1 minute ago, trystan said:

all the governors have been excellent in this crisis.

Florida's governor, Ron DeSantis, has been dragging his heels responding to this, as the number of cases in Florida grows. I would single him out as having one of the worst responses, and it certainly hasn't been excellent.

2 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Florida's governor, Ron DeSantis, has been dragging his heels responding to this, as the number of cases in Florida grows.

good point there.  i briefly saw an article saying the people on the beach (some? all? most?) ended up testing positive for the virus.

okay, most of the governors are being excellent in this.

Australia has no officially gone into lockdown 😪

Fortunately my workplace being a Martial arts, is super innovative- we've moved to online training! Hopefully our shutdown isn't too long though :( 

We've got just over 1700 confirmed cases, with my state being at the low-ish end of the total amount. Our Prime minister is doing ok-ish, not the best, but not the worst I think.

My husband's work is paying staff 10% on top of wages, providing gloves. SUpermarket is paying 15% extra and installing sneezeguards for staff - limiting shoppers. and we are trying to move house in 1.5 wseeks (stress levels extreme)

we have to find out the travel restrictions between provcinces. We intend to QT for 14 days upon arrival regardless.

Edited by Starscream

That's nice that they are paying extra.  

12 hours ago, purplehaze said:

This. What it is leading to is people saying "well, there's no cases in MY town, so I can go out...."

Wherever you are - stay home if you can and wash your hands very often. The nearest (known) case to me is 25 miles away; I am not scared - just have no interest in catching any bugs -  and that's what I'm doing.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I'm rather embarrassed about how we're handling things here in the UK. Mass gatherings, hoarding and hospital staff being attacked. What the fudge happened to 'keep calm and carry on'? 

On the flip side, I'm being strangely more productive while working from home. I think it's because I can listen to music via Youtube while I work now. 

Sigh. Finnish people aren't taking the restrictions and recommendations seriously enough so now our goverment is preparing additional orders. They're most probably going to close restaurants and forbid public meetings (at the moment gatherings of ten persons or less are still allowed) and perhaps even isolate the area where I live since it's the centre of the epidemic here. I doubt that we could be all quarantined, though. I'm not upset because of these possible changes but because of the fact that people are still going to shopping centres and spending their nights at bars.

@Fuzzbucket

I think the numbers are interesting as they might show in areas that the measures taken actually have effect. While there might be some people who'd take that as incentive that they can go out again, the other effect could be that people see "Oh it works" and thus comply even better.

E.g. if you look at the numbers of cases in my home town (population 211 000) which already tested pretty intensively, we have the following confirmed Covid-19 numbers:

- 13 March: 8 confirmed cases, 60 persons quarantined

- 3 mobile teams are sent to people at home to test them on doctor's orders

- 14 March: 10 confirmed cases, 139 persons quarantined

- A drive through was set up where 100 person per day could be tested on doctor's orders, mobile teams additionally test people who aren't mobile

- 15 March - all cultural facilities (theatres, museums, libraries, swimming pools etc) were closed by the city

- 16 March - all schools and kindergartens closed, all people coming from holidays were ordered to self-quarantine for 14 days, further contact reducing measure were set into motion.

- The second largest shopping centre (Bero-Zentrum, 100 shops) mostly closed down (only food markets and pharmacies stayed open)

- 17 March: 13 confirmed cases, 204 persons quarantined

- The largest shopping centre (CentrO, 250 shops) was forced to close as they didn't heed the recommendations by the town.

- 18 March: 18 confirmed cases, 236 persons quarantined

- 19 March: 26 confirmed cases, 193 persons quarantined, 77 people could leave quarantine

- 20 March: 35 confirmed cases, 247 persons quarantined, 108 people could leave quarantine

- Armin Laschet (Minister president of NRW) recommends that people stay at home and have fewer contacts

- 21 March: 36 confirmed cases, 295 persons quarantined, 108 people could leave quarantine

- 22 March: The German government government recommends even stricter contact limitations

- 23 March: 37 confirmed  cases, 363 persons quarantined, 133 people could leave quarantine

I think this looks pretty good, and thus it makes even more sense to continue with everything that was decreed. As you can see that my home town started with the contact limitation measures about a week ago, so here the new infections seem to get fewer by now.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

Personally, I'm a numb3rs person. And seeing the numbers does a number of things for me:

• It gives me a way to estimate what's going on. Because I don't really trust other people's analysis if I can look at the data myself. Like... I heard (from my mom who has it from some news channel) that one of our politicians was positive because our new cases were lower over the weekend. However, that's like a cultural thing here. It's pretty easy to get access to a doctor during the week - but at the weekend? Not without hours of waiting during normal times. As a consequence, people avoid seeing a doctor on the weekend if at all possible.
  • It will also show me when there's a positive trend. Which is something I'm looking and totally hoping for - in a week or two. Which is the likeliest timeframe right now. (Due to... other numbers. Like estimated incubation period.)
  • Looking at the death tolls tells me that our health system is still working quite well. Yes, we've lost a number of people. But, compared to some areas, the numbers are still low. This totally gives me hope.
  • Numbers don't usually lie. (Save for when they get "corrected" downwards by 6000 or things like that.)
  • Looking at the number of recovered people vs. death toll and/or number of confirmed cases gives me a good estimate about where in the pandemic a country is. We Germans are still in the pretty early stages, so it's bound to get worse before it gets better. Which, again, gives me an idea of what to expect for the near future. Seeing China's stats in that regard tells me that, no matter what, the death rate can be kept to 5% - which is still a lot, but much less than the current global average. I doubt the rest of the world will be able to keep it to that level, but that's an entirely different cup of tea.

My mom is working as an ICU nurse for Covid patients; she hasn't done bedside nursing in years, she became a nursing educator, but her hospital has been pulling any and all nurses that have experience working in the ICU to help with coverage. My mom isn't an alarmist kind of person; she can roll with punches at the drop of a hat. But when I talked to her about this pandemic, she straight up told me she was scared. A lot of ICU nurses are worried. There just isn't enough equipment to go around-- now they're having to REUSE protective equipment, that could be potentially contaminated, just so they have something to use. She's concerned that our situation will soon devolve into Italy's situation where they will have to pick and choose who lives and dies simply because there is not enough medical equipment to save everyone (due to the uptick in infections, the lack of social distancing in many populated areas, and the panic buying of medical equipment by people who really don't need it) if the hospitals become overwhelmed. 

The social distancing is not to prevent the spread, but to slow it down so our hospitals and medical staff can keep up. There's a very good chance the vast majority of our population WILL contract the virus, but we need to reduce the amount of cases that pop up at a time so that people can be treated, otherwise a lot of people will die due to lack of available resources. 

No kidding, protective gear is rare. Like seriously rare. I'm working in outpatient care. My only protection: Hand disinfectant and gloves. Period. I've been asked a couple of times by now if I wasn't required to wear "a mask". They mean the virus-blocking thingies, which we don't have at all. Zero. Nada. My company has 1.5 boxes of surgical masks. We are not supposed to wear them unless we're working with a confirmed COVID case. (Not that that will do us any good. By then, we'll have worked with the infected person for two weeks - and no gear worth mentioning.)

Our stock of hand disinfectant is shrinking at an alarming rate. The virus-killing stuff we had is already almost gone. At least I saw the ladies working for a neurologist, of all doctors, wearing some of those anti-virus-masks - with thumb-wide gaps left and right. :rolleyes: I have no words for this level of crazy.

Fun times. /sarcasm

Well the UK is on lockdown now....hope all those people who went to the beeches etc yesterday are happy because them not following the social distancing guidelines are likely the reason this was bought in now.

3 hours ago, smokeytripod said:

Well the UK is on lockdown now....hope all those people who went to the beeches etc yesterday are happy because them not following the social distancing guidelines are likely the reason this was bought in now.

A lot of our people are also congregating at the beaches, and the police who should be enforcing things are just driving on by, apparently.

UPDATE: Our beaches are now closed, airports and ports, too, unless it's cargo. My shelter is still essential services but we have to call the 'command centre' before we set off for work so we don't get stopped. Still only till March 31st, though. So far...

Edited by Lagie
Updating...

Well looks like our President of South Africa has declared that our whole country is on a lock down for 21 one days starting this Friday.