trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

I am a hugger, too, and had a lot of difficulty while we were still gathering in groups.

I guess that's the advantage of being kind of antisocial: I strongly dislike hugging, or touching people in any other way, and my normal lifestyle is sitting in my room all day anyway, often not leaving the house for days (when I don't have classes to attend). I don't have anxiety or anything like that, I just don't really have any social hobbies and enjoy spending time at home with my own stuff. Or, as my similarly antisocial boss just put it in an e-mail he sent me from home office: "It seems an era of introverts has begun." :D

5 hours ago, ValidEmotions said:

So wait... You're not going to read sources that someone went through the trouble of researching and providing (basically insulting them in the process by calling them untrustworthy without even looking so how do you automatically know?), then complain about how people don't give supportive sources. Followed by making claims and quoting statements without providing your own sources??????? How should we trust that you aren't the one spreading misinformation?

Thank you for that. I used to work in Public Health and researched them all very carefully before posting. But - you do you, Stormbird,.That's fine by me. I am still reeling from hearing that a highly intelligent and well educated adult on line friend from Texas, who has just realised she is infected from reading an article I had posted elsewhere about the only veg left in the local stores being Brussels sprouts. The article happened to include what symptoms to watch for. She had not seen this information anywhere, but realised to her horror that she has almost certainly contracted the virus,  and is now isolating herself while she tries to find some way to get tested.

Now THAT'S what I find really scary.

@purplehaze

Thanks for the interesting link!

I'm fortunately not much of a hugger, either.. I used the Namaste greeting pretty often even before this pandemic (as the Vulcan greeting usually only works for nerds XD).

My home town is currently asking for additional medical personal to sign up so that they can prepare for the upcoming onrush of ill people. While I'm "only" approved as a nature cure practitioner (Heilpraktiker), I decided to sign up there, too, if they want me. I could probably help with telephone duty and thus free other practical people from such stuff. We'll see if they would have me ^^

I see the US asking for medical people who are currently not working for some reason.  I'm a retired nurse, but I'm also on the low end of being a senior citizen, so I don't know if I'd be permitted to help.  I also have a bad back, bad hips, and bad knees, so I really couldn't do patient care anyway.  I, like Astreya, feel like I could help in other ways like insurance work, answering the phone, or doing some of the paper work nurses have to do.  

In the UK they are planning to use "people like you" for triage....

For triage? Really? o_O I think this is ...I don't really know how to call this, I have to admit.

Personally, I think the idea that we won't hug or shake hands anymore after the coronavirus dissipates is ridiculous. The same level of ridiculous I find the tone-deaf celebrities and the people hoarding toilet paper for no reason to be. It's all a product of mass hysteria, something I think my brain is actually incapable of buying into, fortunately. I'm an introvert who, by virtue of being an HSP, likes tactile contact, so I would be none too pleased if we suddenly decided to do away with several thousand years of culture and go against our instincts as social creatures. But, like I said, it's highly unlikely things won't go back to normal after this.

I think as the younger generations, my fellow Millennials as well as Gen Z need to realize it's up to us to prevent our parents and older relatives from being exposed to this virus. This moment in history actually is about us, because we're the last line of defense for the senior population.

I've seen some weird reactions among my clients (I work in outpatient care with focus on the elderly). From "Let's hug anyway," to "Stay 2 meters away from me!". The latter was interesting, as I had to wash that particular lady. I'm not Elastigirl, after all. Or that Italian man who asked me in all seriousness if I didn't have to wear a mechanical filter respirator. Well, we don't have any available, so this is a moot point anyway. All we have is 1.5 small boxes of surgical masks, which won't keep Corona out anyway. 

Fun times. /sarcasm

Well, we've been given a stay at home order in my city. Meaning my workplace has also shut down and I'm stuck here for at least 30 days.

It is bad.

It is bad.  Some people still don't get that.  it's sad.

Edited by Classycal

I had a severe anxiety attack today, related to this situation. Because of that I had delete all the news apps from my phone. It started to feel like all of my limbs were heavy as stones and there was this huge weight over my chest... I felt like I just had to stare at those death rates etc.

Anyways, it's much better now. Probably have to look at the news at some point, though, but there's no point reading them all the time and feeling miserable.

Going to watch some True Blood now :3

12 hours ago, Astreya said:

Here's a great illustration why social distancing and staying at home is so important:

Covid-19-Transmission-graphic-01.gif

Source:  https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/22-03-2020/siouxsie-wiles-toby-morris-what-does-level-two-mean-and-why-does-it-matter/

Great illustration!

2 hours ago, Sashimi said:

I had a severe anxiety attack today, related to this situation. Because of that I had delete all the news apps from my phone. It started to feel like all of my limbs were heavy as stones and there was this huge weight over my chest... I felt like I just had to stare at those death rates etc.

*Zen hugs*

I figured out my overly tiredness today was from no longer having to fret about does my shop stay open or not (our Board didn't make any decisions) and finally being able to relax since the  government made the decision for me.

Wow, the US are getting up there in numbers. Next thing we'll hear from a certain elected person is that this is just another way to make "America first" happen... If this rate is being kept, the US will surpass Italy in about two days (towards the end of the day) and China in three... you guys are starting to scare me.

In Germany we are currently getting very strict regulations about minimising contact between people which are supposed to be enforced by the police with considerable fines. No more than two persons are allowed to get together outside (with slight variations depending on the Bundesland - it might surprise some people, but in Germany, the federal government has little say about health matters as these are in the hands of the 16 Länder (=states)) for the next 14 days. Let's hope this will help and "flatten the curve".

By the way, Bundeskanzlerin Angela Merkel has to self-quarantine now, too, as she got into contact with a guy who was diagnosed with Covid-19 today.

@trystan

David Tennant FTW :D

Edited by Astreya

18 minutes ago, olympe said:

Wow, the US are getting up there in numbers. Next thing we'll hear from a certain elected person is that this is just another way to make "America first" happen... If this rate is being kept, the US will surpass Italy in about two days (towards the end of the day) and China in three... you guys are starting to scare me.

It's amazing how quickly their numbers have spiked, isn't it? And scary, indeed.

the US and that Orange Thing scares me too! and i live in the US.  the Governors are doing more than the Orange Thing.  if you want to know what a real President should sound like in these times, find a daily press briefing from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. (you can actually google "daily press briefing from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo" and get a few hits, too.)

@Astreya - Tom Baker for me. :D 

Wait, what? Within a little over an hour, the numbers for the US have gone down by roughly 6000 new cases? I had my suspicions that the site linked a couple of pages back was't exactly accurate, as - according to them - Germany has had exactly 2 critical cases for several days now (with lots more dying), but this discrepancy seriously takes the cake.

Edited by olympe
Numbers...

@olympe

Where do you go for the stats?

I like to take a look at the MoPo visualisation (they use the data from"Johns Hopkins University CSSE (internationale Daten von WHO, CDC (USA), ECDC (Europa), NHC, DXY (China) und Meldungen der deutschen Behörden (Robert-Koch-Institut sowie Kreis- und Landesgesundheitsämter"): https://interaktiv.morgenpost.de/corona-virus-karte-infektionen-deutschland-weltweit/

@trystan

Not a bad choice either :D

Edited by Astreya