trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

That's going to go over well. A black mayor from the Democrats telling Trumps sycophants that they can't do as they please under Trump's rule? This is a **** show waiting to happen, mark my words.

Aargh. So we open our borders. And of course most of our visitors come from our coronoa hotspot neighbours and now we have more cases:

*headdesks* Stupid, stupid, stupid.

107893965_622343935154254_91916828468719

I work as an RN in the US. Things at the hospitals are rough. We have one face sheild for our CAPRs for the week.( If you don't know a CAPR is like a space helmet looking thing that blows filtered air on your face. Pic attached) Even if we have multiple patients with covid. We ran out of shoe coverings, and were told to use them more than once. And if you know anything about infection control, it's like what's the point? We're using reusable gowns, and putting patients into negative pressure rooms but we're running out of space fast. Most of these poor people in my region are pouring in from the prisons. And the DOC officers are quite frankly giant jerks, who I constantly have to remind to put on a mask, because they think they're faking it some how. I don't know about you, but in my 8 years of experience it's very hard to fake an O2 saturation of 89% on 15 L of O2. 

I'm tired of this, so very tired. 

download (5).jpeg

I'm a bit worried that infections are inching up here again. I guess the problem is that our neighbour town Duisburg is a risk area with a current 7-day incidence of 19.3 infections per 100 000 people.

-------------------

Daily update for Oberhausen, NRW, Germany:

As of today, Friday, July 10, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 18 active cases, while 284 people have recovered. All in all there have been 314 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 5.7.

Currently 1  is treated in a hospital, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 48 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 14 925 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Thursday, July 9.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

13 hours ago, Cup0fDOOM said:

I work as an RN in the US. Things at the hospitals are rough. We have one face sheild for our CAPRs for the week.( If you don't know a CAPR is like a space helmet looking thing that blows filtered air on your face. Pic attached) Even if we have multiple patients with covid. We ran out of shoe coverings, and were told to use them more than once. And if you know anything about infection control, it's like what's the point? We're using reusable gowns, and putting patients into negative pressure rooms but we're running out of space fast. Most of these poor people in my region are pouring in from the prisons. And the DOC officers are quite frankly giant jerks, who I constantly have to remind to put on a mask, because they think they're faking it some how. I don't know about you, but in my 8 years of experience it's very hard to fake an O2 saturation of 89% on 15 L of O2. 

I'm tired of this, so very tired. 

download (5).jpeg

Sorry that people here aren't taking this seriously enough and thank you so very much for your service!

If I thought that not wearing a mask would only affect those refusing to do so, then I'd say 'ok, your life, your choice'. Unfortunately, that's not the way it works - their choices affect a lot of other people, too. I really don't want to get sick because some idiot spreads it around.

Edited by JaneMcAsh

As of today, Saturday, July 11, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 18 active cases, while 284 people have recovered. All in all there have been 314 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 5.2.

Currently 2 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 51 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 15 052 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Friday, July 9.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

US corona virus deaths are spiking. No surprise to anyone but Trump and his lackeys. No, President Trump, the increase in cases was NOT all because of more testing. And the increased deaths can't be attributed to more testing, no matter how you try to twist things!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/10/coronavirus-deaths-tick-up-in-florida-texas-california-arizona.html

After peaking at an average of more than 2,000 deaths per day just three months ago, primarily driven by New York and New Jersey, fatalities in the U.S. have been slowly declining — falling to an average of less than 600 fatalities a day from June 23 through July 8. Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. have declined or remained relatively stable for weeks, even though cases have more than doubled since mid-May. But the daily death toll appears to be on the rise again in the U.S., epidemiologists say.

Covid-19 fatalities have steadily ticked up across the nation with the average number of fatalities a day rising over the last three straight days to over 600 on July 9, based on a seven-day average of daily reported deaths, driven by surges in several hot spots. Epidemiologists say it is cause for concern that deaths are beginning to accelerate again, even if it’s just a few days of data.

U.S. officials and the general public should have seen the rise in deaths coming, Larry Levitt, executive vice president for health policy at the Kaiser Family Foundation, told CNBC. Deaths tend to lag new cases because it can take weeks for a patient to get sick enough to be hospitalized and eventually die. 

“This was predictable. We seem to have had difficulty in this country looking a few weeks in advance,” Levitt said. “But we know the pattern that as more people get infected, more people get hospitalized and ultimately more people die.”

Well, Mr.Trump repeatedly bragged that he doesn't have to listen to experts as his gut feeling is so superior to scientific facts. Only on Friday, the US's top infectious disease expert, Dr Anthony Fauci, told the Financial Times that he had not directly briefed the president in two months. So what do you expect?

Edited by Astreya

@Lagie

Living in one of those hotspot countries, I can't help but feel some partial responsibility for the spikes you guys are having. Hope things don't escalate anymore.

@Cup0fDOOM

You guys are doing so much and it's rediculous the stress you guys are being put under with not having proper protection and taking care of so many patients. All I can say is hang in there and stay healthy! Definitely try to keep yourself safe as much as you can.

@Astreya

I've been pretty suspicious about whether Trump had really been meeting with Fauci at all in the last couple months. It says a lot when the doctor Trump put in charge of the task force can't even give a full update to the guy.

2 hours ago, Daydreamer09 said:

I've been pretty suspicious about whether Trump had really been meeting with Fauci at all in the last couple months. It says a lot when the doctor Trump put in charge of the task force can't even give a full update to the guy.

Well, refusing to take updates from his own expert doesn't look quite as awful as when he puts his fingers in his ears and goes, "Lalala I don't hear you!" And in a couple of weeks Trump can honestly say that nobody told him it was going to be that bad, not even Fauci. :rolleyes:

I'm disturbed by Disney World's reopening. They (those in charge) claim they feel safer going to Disney rather than the grocery store yet their policy for turning away people with a temperature is appalling. They are only turning away someone with a temperature of 104 so in theory a person with a temperature of 103.9 could be allowed entrance. Even if they are slightly more cautious it's still disturbing, a person with a temperature of 104 should be in the hospital as that can lead to brain damage even a temperature of 103 should be taken extremely carefully. I don't see that as safe, not even remotely. The way people are rationalizing what is safe or not is beyond horrifying. All so they can make money. 🤑 🤮 

I live in the Orlando area so this could impact my area.

Edited by AngelsSin

@AngelsSin

And of course this doesn't take account of asymptomatic carriers at all. As particularly kids often show only little symptoms, this is a recipe for disaster.

4 hours ago, Daydreamer09 said:

@Lagie

Living in one of those hotspot countries, I can't help but feel some partial responsibility for the spikes you guys are having. Hope things don't escalate anymore.

Thanks!

But sadly it has. Three more cases identified today. Sigh.

so i posted this in another thread yesterday - 

i work in retail, and i've been told that i can mention to customers about their masks if they're not wearing it over their nose, but be gentle about it.  so i've decided to point to my nose and move my finger downward a little and say "oops, i think your mask slipped?"and point to my nose again.  one guy laughed, joked his nose was too big, but moved it to cover his nose.  i had a lady who, when i mentioned that, gave me a look that said "what does that have to do with the price check i asked for on this item?"  and another lady said she couldn't breathe, and i told her that the masks have a metal strip in them that can fit it around your nose.  but then she says "besides, they're not mandatory."  to which i said, "hmm, i'll have to look that up" - but they ARE mandatory in businesses in my state.  

i had a scheduled dentist appointment today, really the only extra difference from the last time (aside from the masks) was that they didn't use the sonic scaler or the electric polisher when they cleaned my teeth.  my in-laws are only like 5 minutes from the dentist, but even if i had the time i wouldn't have stopped in - they're 78 and 80; and i work with the public three days a week.

my county - not sure when these numbers are from, maybe yesterday?

Total Confirmed Cases: 5,704

Recoveries: 4,039

Deaths: 510

(https://covid19-bucksgis.hub.arcgis.com/)

@Fuzzbucket

There was a "foreign country report" on n-tv yesterday where they showed the situation  in the US and a doctor in an overwhelmed hospital in either Florida or Texas said something along the line that he considered his country people so stupid that he didn't know how they managed to survive their everyday life.

--------------

As of today, Sunday, July 12, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 19 active cases, while 284 people have recovered. All in all there have been 315 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 5.2.

Currently 2 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 45 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 15 053 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Friday, July 10.

Edited by Astreya

23 minutes ago, Astreya said:

@Fuzzbucket

There was a "foreign country report" on n-tv yesterday where they showed the situation  in the US and a doctor in an overwhelmed hospital in either Florida or Texas said something along the line that he considered his country people so stupid that he didn't know how they managed to survive their everyday life.

It was Texas, according to what my mom told me. (She currently watches news channels a lot.)

I just stumbled over an article in the German magazine Spiegel that the antibody count in people who went through a Covid-19 infection decreases rapidly within a rather short time, thus a vaccination will likely not really give any long-term immunity.

Additionally, there are studies that people who went through a mild or asymptomatic version of the disease had a marked decrease of their antibodies against the virus already within two months, hence it appears likely that a re-infection is possible.

Source: https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/corona-infektion-untersuchungen-von-genesenen-daempfen-hoffnung-auf-impststoff-a-6e902a40-f7a2-4a8b-b5c8-3e9c2a358fe1

So we might only be able to get rid of this virus if literally everybody in the whole world complies with necessary precautions until it goes extinct?

Good question. Or there might be the necessity of an anti-Covid jab ever 3 months or so.The pharma companies would be ecstatic.

I don't think it's possible right now. Not everybody will (be ble or willing to) comply with necessary precautions. Not everybody will (be able to) get a shot all 3 months.

Not to mention that the anti-vaxxers are already out in force.

16 hours ago, trystan said:

so i posted this in another thread yesterday - 

i work in retail, and i've been told that i can mention to customers about their masks if they're not wearing it over their nose, but be gentle about it.  so i've decided to point to my nose and move my finger downward a little and say "oops, i think your mask slipped?"and point to my nose again.  one guy laughed, joked his nose was too big, but moved it to cover his nose.  i had a lady who, when i mentioned that, gave me a look that said "what does that have to do with the price check i asked for on this item?"  and another lady said she couldn't breathe, and i told her that the masks have a metal strip in them that can fit it around your nose.  but then she says "besides, they're not mandatory."  to which i said, "hmm, i'll have to look that up" - but they ARE mandatory in businesses in my state.  

I had a customer last week where gently I offered a mask because of the mandate who point blank refused. Said he didn't feel he needed one. I ended up saying that we were required by law to give him one if he didn't have a mask on. That seemed to get the idea across to him. Thankfully my workplace hasn't had any scenes with stubborn customers. The grocery store next to us hasn't been so lucky.

For myself, I'm still trying to get use to remembering to check customers have facemasks. Especially when I'm not focused on it at the moment. It's second nature to look at a face with a nose and mouth visible that I go into auto pilot. Need to work on that.

@Astreya

Another thing that goes into that sort of thing is the memory white blood cells who can reproduce those anti bodies. We'd have to see if there's a limit on that as well.

Edited by Daydreamer09

5 hours ago, olympe said:
5 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Fuzzbucket

It was Texas, according to what my mom told me. (She currently watches news channels a lot.)

i wonder how people manage their every day life here too sometimes.

1 hour ago, Daydreamer09 said:

Thankfully my workplace hasn't had any scenes with stubborn customers.

if we've had any scenes, i wasn't working when they happened.....