trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

26 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:
47 minutes ago, trystan said:

i'm surprised DeVos is still around, actually....

Since her job requires her to hurt as many people as possible under her purview (the cruelty is the point in this administration), and she's doing it very well (her track record is horrible and too long to post here), she's not going anywhere. Heck, DeVos got coronavirus bailout money!

unfortunately, you're right... and of course she did.

26 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Disney World is also set to re-open this Saturday. You also don't get masks for free for attending, though they'll be available for a cost. 

of course you don't get them for free, this is Disney, where even the masks will be overpriced. *sigh*

25 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

I don't know how Trump got to that conclusion he tweeted that death rates were on the decline then in all caps said the U.S. has the lowest mortality rate in the World.

because he has no clue what he's doing.  and these things he tweets make him sound good?

Edited by trystan
so i didn't double-post

50 minutes ago, trystan said:

because he has no clue what he's doing.  and these things he tweets make him sound good?

Didn't Trump say once that all he needs to do is "say happy words" or something? (Might be misquoted as it's re-translated from the German translation I saw a couple of months ago.) Speak happy words, make happy people, happy people are happy voters, happy voters make the President happy...

1 hour ago, AngelsSin said:

But we should all understand by now that while death rates right now might be low depending on your perspective, it rises after a surge in New cases.

That's not how it works, actually. The total number of death rises when there's more people infected, but not necessarily the death rate (number of deaths divided by total cases that ended - one way or another). As a matter of fact, unless something goes horribly wrong (like hospitals reaching capacity, doctors getting sick and so on), the death rate should decline a little with more cases. Because it seems like a common phenomenon that the death rate is the highest at the start of the pandemic (no matter which country) and declines later on. Whether that is because doctors and nurses learned to better care of covid patient or because covid gets diagnosed before the patients are in critical condition or something else altogether  is anybody's guess.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

For Trump and Pence and anyone else who believes the lie that most Covid-19 cases are mild and therefore harmless:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/06/coronavirus-covid-19-mild-symptoms-who

Let it also be noted that the U.S. has begun the formal process to withdraw from the WHO. During a raging pandemic. With no end in sight. And over 130,000 Americans dead from it.

1 hour ago, olympe said:
2 hours ago, trystan said:

Didn't Trump say once that all he needs to do is "say happy words" or something? (Might be misquoted as it's re-translated from the German translation I saw a couple of months ago.) Speak happy words, make happy people, happy people are happy voters, happy voters make the President happy...

i don't know if he did or not, but that DOES sound like something he'd say, to be honest

3 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Let it also be noted that the U.S. has begun the formal process to withdraw from the WHO. During a raging pandemic. With no end in sight. And over 130,000 Americans dead from it.

yep, we're totally f'd.

Edited by trystan
so i didn't double-post

6 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

The really mind-boggling thing about this is that Mr.Trump claims it would "make America great" if he withdraws from all the multinational entities when in fact it just gives China and Russia more leverage. So either Mr.Trump is really stupid or he is in fact in the pockets of China and Russia (or both).

3 minutes ago, Astreya said:

So either Mr.Trump is really stupid or he is in fact in the pockets of China and Russia (or both).

my vote is for both.  he also withdrew from the Paris Agreement, and i believe there's only like 2 other countries who haven't signed it.  see, he can PAY for clean air and water somewhere, and he has an entourage around him that gets tested for covid, and he gets tested too, cause he can PAY.  it's good to be the king, eh?

@trystan

Actually they can test him all they want - if he really gets Covid-19 it will likely not matter how much money he has as he looks pretty much as if he is a member of the risk group.

1 minute ago, Astreya said:

@trystan

Actually they can test him all they want - if he really gets Covid-19 it will likely not matter how much money he has as he looks pretty much as if he is a member of the risk group.

good point. he looks pretty risky already, actually XD 

My opinion (imagination) Not speaking for anyone else.

Right now, I have an image in my head of bulldozers pushing bodies into mass graves with our president flashing the Victory sign to the news cameras saying, "We're lucky. They were Democrats."

I keep waiting for him to wake up, or hoping I'm having a nightmare.

Warning of serious brain disorders in people with mild coronavirus symptoms

UK neurologists publish details of mildly affected or recovering Covid-19 patients with serious or potentially fatal brain conditions

Neurologists are on Wednesday publishing details of more than 40 UK Covid-19 patients whose complications ranged from brain inflammation and delirium to nerve damage and stroke. In some cases, the neurological problem was the patient’s first and main symptom.

The cases, published in the journal Brain, revealed a rise in a life-threatening condition called acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (Adem), as the first wave of infections swept through Britain. At UCL’s Institute of Neurology, Adem cases rose from one a month before the pandemic to two or three per week in April and May. One woman, who was 59, died of the complication.

(...)

“We’re seeing things in the way Covid-19 affects the brain that we haven’t seen before with other viruses,” said Michael Zandi, a senior author on the study and a consultant at the institute and University College London Hospitals NHS foundation trust.

(...)

The cases add to concerns over the long-term health effects of Covid-19, which have left some patients breathless and fatigued long after they have cleared the virus, and others with numbness, weakness and memory problems.

Full article:  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/08/warning-of-serious-brain-disorders-in-people-with-mild-covid-symptoms

10 hours ago, RainDear said:

My opinion (imagination) Not speaking for anyone else.

Right now, I have an image in my head of bulldozers pushing bodies into mass graves with our president flashing the Victory sign to the news cameras saying, "We're lucky. They were Democrats."

I keep waiting for him to wake up, or hoping I'm having a nightmare.

What a time to live in the land of the free. It's a dark image, but living in the US right now kind of feels that way. I'm kicking myself for never trying to move abroad before all this went down.

14 hours ago, olympe said:

To me, this sounds more like a publicity stunt than anything. SMH. 66 k (and counting) Brazilians were not so lucky.

How did he come up with this one? I just did the maths (or let excel do it, to be honest), and this is the result for mortality rates when you only take cases into account that already had an outcome. (Source for the raw numbers: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ (for easy copy&paste)

Country                Fatality Rate (in percent)

World 7.39
USA 9.07
Brazil 5.81
India 4.32
Russia 2.21
Peru 5.17
Chile 2.34
Spain ???
UK ???
Mexico 16.31
Iran 5.45
Italy 15.33
Pakistan 3.46
Saudi Arabia 1.29
Turkey 2.76
South Africa 3.27
Germany 4.74
France 27.82
Bangladesh 2.68
Colombia 7.71
Canada 11.09

Both Spain and UK didn't give out the numbers of recovered nor active cases, so I cannot give you a result from either nation. However, Spain has managed to flatten the curve quite successfully, and my guess is that (at least) 90% of all people infected are through with it. If you want to go with it and also estimate that the death toll will rise by the number of critical cases, we'll get a number a little below 10%.

Slightly shocked by Canada :(

But there is pretty solid under-reporting in the US, too. (And in the UK - but you will never get a straight answer out of their current administration; they are as bad as Trump, just mercifully less powerful.)

At least in my area things are calming down again. By the way, for those who can understand German, ntv has a very good Covid-19 overview that is of course German-centric, but also has Europe and World data, too: https://www.n-tv.de/infografik/Coronavirus-aktuelle-Zahlen-Daten-zur-Epidemie-in-Deutschland-Europa-und-der-Welt-article21604983.html

-----------------

Daily update for Oberhausen, NRW, Germany:

As of today, Wednesday, July 8, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 9 active cases, while 284 people have recovered. All in all there have been 305 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 1,9.

Currently 2 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 45 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 14 612 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Tuesday, July 7.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

@RainDear.

The image in my head is of Trump after he dies and is in hell, facing the Devil and saying " I did good, didn't I? " And the Devil saying " yes, you did great my son! "

It very much feels like we are living in some warped alternate reality. A dystopian reality. Only this is all too real.

Florida's number of new cases is back up to 10,000 again, well just a few shy of that.

I know I've been talking a lot about kids and school. But I'm gonna talk about the teachers and staff right now. I've seen a lot of concern from teachers and teacher's unions about going back to school and they made a very good point which I will get to. But they've raised a lot of concerns saying while everyone including them want kids back in school they want it done safely not just for the kids but themselves and their families as well. That it is irresponsible to do so with limited safety measure or nothing concrete during a pandemic and when numbers are spiking. That some teachers fit into the older category, some have underlying health issues. Some have to go home and take care of elderly parents or have a sick or immune compromised kid. What happens to schools being open if the teachers and staff end up sick or dying. That many teachers are going online asking how to go about setting up a living will. Schools will have to close again in a short time if their teachers and staff all start getting sick, there won't be anyone to teach them in person if that happens. We need to protect the kids and all those involved with running the schools. Or when this is finally over we won't have enough teachers to teach at that point. They understand education is important but not at their lives and their kids expense. They want it to be done safely and currently don't feel like they and their kids are being protected.

@AngelsSin

Can't quote you since I'm on my phone, but that is pretty accurate to the biggest concern most people have which is for the adults in schools. And the fact teachers have to worry about spread not only happening to themselves, but to their families as well echoes the issues healthcare workers have been dealing with. Our education system sucks with a one-size fits all teaching method and this whole covid19 pandemic has torn that apart.

CNN CNBC did a report recently on issues international college kids are facing in the US. Pretty much that if they take online classes only, their visas get revoked. Which brings up the important question, WHERE ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO GO? Travel to and from the country is banned for the most part.

Edited by Daydreamer09

8 minutes ago, Daydreamer09 said:

CNN CNBC did a report recently on issues international college kids are facing in the US. Pretty much that if they take online classes only, their visas get revoked. Which brings up the important question, WHERE ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO GO? Travel to and from the country is banned for the most part.

my morning email from the Hill mentioned that Harvard and MIT are suing Immigration about this - https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/08/888871130/harvard-mit-sue-immigration-officials-over-rule-blocking-some-international-stud

Edited by trystan
linkie!

from ABCnews.com: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-coronavirus-mortality-rate-lowest-world-trump-claim/story?id=71647615&cid=clicksource_4380645_4_three_posts_card_related

The mortality rate is the number of deaths from COVID-19 relative to the overall population.

As of Tuesday, the United States had the ninth-worst mortality rate in the world, with 39.82 deaths per 100,000 people, according to Johns Hopkins University.

The case-fatality rate is the number of deaths from COVID-19 relative to the total number of confirmed cases, shown as a percentage.

The U.S. also measures poorly in terms of its case-fatality rate. On Tuesday, it was in the middle of the pack relative to other countries, with a rate of 4.4%, according to Johns Hopkins.

In other words, the U.S. finds itself on a shortlist of countries that have the most coronavirus deaths proportional to both its total population and to its confirmed cases.

In absolute terms, the United States also has the greatest number of overall deaths from coronavirus, with nearly twice as many as Brazil, which ranks second, according to Johns Hopkins.

Is this any surprise? They have the subtitle "The president has made false statements about the virus's mortality rate." in that article, but I guess you might better write "The president has made false statements" in general...

30 minutes ago, JaneMcAsh said:

The case-fatality rate is the number of deaths from COVID-19 relative to the total number of confirmed cases, shown as a percentage.

The U.S. also measures poorly in terms of its case-fatality rate. On Tuesday, it was in the middle of the pack relative to other countries, with a rate of 4.4%, according to Johns Hopkins.

This measurement doesn't make sense at all, since more than half the cases in the US didn't have an outcome yet. But, yeah, getting more and more people infected will definitely lower the case-fatality rate for a long while. 😕 Just get more people infected very quickly, and your rate goes down significantly. This measurement is a cheat.

Properly done, you can only measure the case-fatality rate *after* the pandemic is over once and for all. Or... you could use cases that already had an outcome (total cases - active cases) as a basis for a prognosis, instead of total cases (of which a good amount will still die).

My hubby had a doctor appointment today and while we were talking the doctor made the comment that he doesn't recognize the country we are living in right now. I have to agree. :(

Meh. There are 7 new infections here as of today:

Daily update for Oberhausen, NRW, Germany:

As of today, Thursday, July 9, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 16 active cases, while 284 people have recovered. All in all there have been 312 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 4.7.

Currently 2 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 51 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 14 748 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Wednesday, July 8.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

It turns out Trump's Tulsa rally most likely lead to a spike in new cases in Tulsa County, surprising no one who follows the science for how this virus spreads. 

For an update on the RNC, set to be held in a state that has one of the highest infection rates right now, Florida, it turns out some Republicans and donors are worried about infection and skipping it altogether. The venue holds 15,000 where the RNC will be held in Jacksonville, and unlike the Tulsa rally, will most likely be full. I guess some aren't willing to die from this "hoax" no matter what their leader says.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner has instructed the Houston First Corporation to cancel the Texas Republican Party's convention slated to be held in person in Houston next week, the mayor announced on Twitter and in an afternoon press conference.

https://www.chron.com/coronavirus/article/Texas-GOP-convention-in-Houston-is-canceled-15395032.php