trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

Posted (edited)

@Daydreamer09

Thanks for linking this!

For those who can understand German, here are extensive 1 hour long interviews (including transcripts and links to the studies) with the leading German virologist Prof.Dr.Christian Drosten from the Charité in Berlin (he was in the team that developed the first working Covid-19 PCR test in Mid-January) as podcasts. He's talking about the most recent studies, bleeding edge research, and answers questions from the  public every Tuesday in the NDR:  

https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/info/Corona-Podcast-Alle-Folgen-in-der-Uebersicht,podcastcoronavirus134.html

Edited by Astreya

9 hours ago, olympe said:

So, Brazil's numbers got "corrected" - the new cases for the day before yesterday are (roughly) halved now. Not gonna lie, this doesn't exactly incrrease their credibility.

welcome to a country run by another science-denier.  i'm sure the US's numbers are way more than they really are.  it's kinda scary.

i also saw it's such a very American thing - we're so over it, we're tired of lockdown, so covid is over now too, right? just because we're "done with it" doesn't mean it's done with us.

3 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

Doesn't Trump realize that he's probably gonna be killing off his supporters when they get COVID and potentially die?

of course not.  it's all about Trump.

1 hour ago, trystan said:

welcome to a country run by another science-denier.  i'm sure the US's numbers are way more than they really are.  it's kinda scary.

i also saw it's such a very American thing - we're so over it, we're tired of lockdown, so covid is over now too, right? just because we're "done with it" doesn't mean it's done with us.

Bolsonaro loves Trump. He does pretty much everything Trump does. As to your second paragraph, yes, unfortunately. I live in an area where people take it very seriously, masks everywhere, but I know it's not like that everywhere. I was watching some footage of Trump supporters waiting for the rally yesterday (yes, they were camping overnight) saying the numbers are over-inflated, they won't catch it, and my personal favorite from a gentleman: "The virus should be scared of me!" That's when I muted the TV. No masks anywhere. 

Wait until our death toll reaches Civil War numbers. We're going to get there at the rate we're going.

4 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

I wouldn't be surprised if every single person attending the Trump rally end up with COVID. And pass it on when they return home. Doesn't Trump realize that he's probably gonna be killing off his supporters when they get COVID and potentially die?

He doesn't care. And this part of his base don't care about protecting others, so they're perfectly willing to take it back to their communities.

@AngelsSin Please stay safe. California and Florida are a cautionary tale for re-opening too early with how the number of new cases is shooting up each day. California's now second in the nation with the total number of cases. I worry about you returning to work and mingling with people who will be unmasked and uncaring. 

As long as there are enough people at Trumps rallies to cheer for him, he'll be okay with that. 

And when Trump actually loses the election, it'll be all covid's fault which selectively killed off his followers. Which only proves that the Democrats were the ones to have the virus released. Or maybe they secretly managed to create an antidote/a vaccine and only gave it to their own supporters. Or - le gasp - the election was rigged.

6 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

He doesn't care. And this part of his base don't care about protecting others, so they're perfectly willing to take it back to their communities.

@AngelsSin Please stay safe. California and Florida are a cautionary tale for re-opening too early with how the number of new cases is shooting up each day. California's now second in the nation with the total number of cases. I worry about you returning to work and mingling with people who will be unmasked and uncaring. 

Thanks! I'm worried too about working right now. I've tried to put it off as long as I can, but I do have bills to pay, so I must. I'm trying to choose work that limits my contact with others.

8 minutes ago, olympe said:

As long as there are enough people at Trumps rallies to cheer for him, he'll be okay with that. 

And when Trump actually loses the election, it'll be all covid's fault which selectively killed off his followers. Which only proves that the Democrats were the ones to have the virus released. Or maybe they secretly managed to create an antidote/a vaccine and only gave it to their own supporters. Or - le gasp - the election was rigged.

I've actually seen posts that literally blame democrats. One post says " Hell of a job democrats, you managed to bring back the 1918 pandemic the 1929 depression and the 1968 race riots all at once. And people wonders why I don't vote democrat. "

to which I reply they have It backward.

12 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

I live in an area where people take it very seriously, masks everywhere, but I know it's not like that everywhere.

where i am, i SEE a lot of masks. (i also work in a retail craft store, where all the employees and customers have to wear masks.  and we have plexglass windows on the registers too)  however, there's a facebook group for one of my neighboring townships, were all the Karens are complaining about everything....

@olympe - yeah, you're probably right. i just hope he DOES lose the election.  Biden has a LOT to fix in the next few years.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

I've actually seen posts that literally blame democrats. One post says " Hell of a job democrats, you managed to bring back the 1918 pandemic the 1929 depression and the 1968 race riots all at once. And people wonders why I don't vote democrat. "

to which I reply they have It backward.

Better spell it out and reply "Mr.Trump is President since 2016, so it all happened under his watch, thus he and the GOP are responsible alone as they totally botched the response to each of these national emergencies."

If you write "you have it all backward", they will just think you mean "you managed to bring back the 1968 race riots, the 1929 depression, and the 1918 pandemic all at once."

Edited by Astreya

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Astreya said:

Better spell it out and reply "Mr.Trump is President since 2016, so it all happened under his watch, thus he and the GOP are responsible alone."

If you write "you have it all backward", they will just think you mean "you managed to bring back the 1968 race riots, the 1929 depression, and the 1918 pandemic all at once."

Lol, actually my full response was this "Um, i think u have it backwards since it's Republicans that are in power at this time, pretty sure it's them you should be placing the blame on. But why would I expect a Trump supporter to be logical?"

😁

Edited by AngelsSin

@AngelsSin

Well, that's better for sure. I really think one needs to be as clear and blunt as possible, as the mental capacities of certain persons just don't grasp insinuations. Plus everything that can be interpreted runs the risk to be interpreted in the wrong way.

Besides Trump's big rally today, which has all the earmarks of a "superspreader" (but won't be proven as such until, oh, about 2 weeks from now when all the attendees start getting sick) I was frightened to learn that he has two more such rallies planned in those next two weeks! :o So we can probably count on triple the damage. I cannot believe the man's crass disregard for anyone but himself. And of course none of it will be his fault.

2 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

cannot believe the man's crass disregard for anyone but himself. And of course none of it will be his fault.

of course it's not his fault.

the funny thing is, i've seen on twitter how people have know his character and his MO since the 1980s!  almost none of this should be a surprise... but every time he does something else, there's a basis for it in his past. *sigh*  is it november yet?

Oh, it gets better. Six of his staffers working the rally have tested positive for coronavirus! We may see an uptick in cases from this sooner than the two-week period if people going are already unknown incubators of the virus. Who have those staffers interacted with? How many others are already infected and attending without knowing they are? That reminds me, if anyone heard about the Republican speaker of the house in Pennsylvania who went to work without telling anyone he was infected, he resigned almost two weeks ago. I forgot to mention this amongst the deluge of other news happening lately.

The outbreak in the Tönnies meat plant in Rheda-Wiedenbrück (NRW, Germany) gets worse and worse the more of the workers get tested. By now there are 1029 positive tests, and there are still more workers who need to undergo testing.

This is acerbated by the fact that most of the workers are not able to speak German properly (most are subcontracted by dubious firms that flew them in from Romania, Bulgaria and other low wage EU states and then housed them together in cramped conditions in the area around the plant), and thus it is difficult to make them understand the necessity to be quarantined. It appears that it will be quite a feat to get this outbreak in the Gütersloh area under control.

Source: https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/toennies-corona-fleischindustrie-103.html

5 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

if anyone heard about the Republican speaker of the house in Pennsylvania who went to work without telling anyone he was infected, he resigned almost two weeks ago. I forgot to mention this amongst the deluge of other news happening lately.

one of the other PA House members (D) had posted a video on reddit that went viral, and i shared it as soon as i saw it.  the Democrat  was outraged, with good reason!  i am too... that's my state's government.  i'm glad the covidiot resigned. *whew*

5 minutes ago, Astreya said:

The outbreak in the Tönnies meat plant in Rheda-Wiedenbrück (NRW, Germany) gets worse and worse the more of the workers get tested. By now there are 1029 positive tests, and there are still more workers who need to undergo testing.

This is acerbated by the fact that most of the workers are not able to speak German properly (most are subcontracted by dubious firms that flew them in from Romania, Bulgaria and other low wage EU states and then housed them together in cramped conditions in the area around the plant), and thus it is difficult to make them understand the necessity to be quarantined. It appears that it will be quite a feat to get this outbreak in the Gütersloh area under control.

Source: https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/toennies-corona-fleischindustrie-103.html

Are those workers immigrants? I ask because a number of meat plant employees stateside are immigrant labor. And your line of "dubious firms that flew them in from Romania, Bulgaria and other low wage EU states and then housed them together in cramped conditions" reeks of what employers here do to bring illegal labor in. 

I hope they get the outbreak under control. Meat plants here (looking at you, Tyson) have been experiencing outbreaks for awhile because it's impossible to socially distance in that kind of environment. 

Posted (edited)

@purpledragonclaw

Good question. I don't know how they'd be classed. Many on them have their families in their home countries and they are contracted by companies that hire them to the meat plants using Werkverträge ("contracts for work and labour"), thus they are no real employees of the meat plant and thus they can be paid less than unionised workers.

According to the fact that the EU has the so-called "Single Market" which contains the Four Freedoms, among them the Freedom of Services and Freedom of Labour, EU citizens can easily work in each of the EU countries and move around without the need of visas and stuff. So I'm not sure if they would be "immigrants" or just EU citizens who exercise the freedom of labour/services.

Oh, and by the way - this "Werkverträge" thing will be abolished by the end of the year 2020. The legislation for that is already put into motion, now that these dubious practices came into the spotlight for everyone to see.

Edited by Astreya

Posted (edited)

@AngelsSin

I bet the fact that they would have needed to sign that waiver to attend will have brought it home to the less stupid ones that even

Mr.Trump's people fear there could be infections.

Edited by Astreya

So there are apparently not as many people willing to die for him as he was counting on.

Posted (edited)

I think Google ads has noticed the shift in topic. Got this just now reading the thread. XD

Screenshot_20200620-221740.png

Edited by Daydreamer09

Posted (edited)

I get those all the time now. The Trump campaign must be on a spending blitz with these ads. I also love how many people believe Trump is a "patriot" because of that flag-hugging, it was a big hit at CPAC.

For sports, as leagues get ready to try to resume, I'm wondering when they're going to realize it's not going to happen. I haven't read a solid plan from any league on what to do should there be an outbreak in any team once they resume. In baseball, all the spring camps have shut down due to at least six teams having staff or players with positive coronavirus tests, multiple NFL players have tested positive as well, and the NHL has players and staff testing positive too. After its initial outbreak with Rudy Gobert, Donovan Mitchell, and Kevin Durant, not a lot of new coronavirus cases are being reported out of the NBA. Even playing without fans, this is a perfect storm of coronavirus conditions with all the contact and body fluids that fly between teams. The MLB is at least trying with a new set of rules for players and staff, but given how often these activities happen during the course of one game, these rules aren't going to work. They really should just wait until next year.

Edited by purpledragonclaw

I saw this Trump quote on Twitter. I even watched the video to see if he actually said that. (He did.)

Here's the bad part: When you do testing to that extent, you're gonna find more people, you're gonna find more cases. So I said to my people, 'slow the testing down please!

Why are there people to whom this does not sound stupid?

Wikipedia:

Object permanence is the understanding that objects continue to exist even when they cannot be seen, heard, touched, smelled or sensed in any way. This is a fundamental concept studied in the field of developmental psychology, the subfield of psychology that addresses the development of young children's social and mental capacities. There is not yet scientific consensus on when the understanding of object permanence emerges in human development.

The case numbers are rising here, too: .

Daily update for Oberhausen, NRW, Germany:

As of today, Sunday, June 21, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 12 active cases, while 254 people have recovered. All in all there have been 277 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 3.8.

Currently 3 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 11 persons sadly died. 33 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 402 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

2 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

I saw this Trump quote on Twitter. I even watched the video to see if he actually said that. (He did.)

White House staff were quick to jump in and say he was "just kidding!" Really? I don't think so, it sounds much too much like something he would do!

@purplehaze

Particularly as every sane person would make jokes about denying testing to people who might have a potentially lethal disease and could infect all people in their vicinity...