trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

Update - breaking news from German TV: Dietmar Hopp says that he hopes CureVac will have a vaccine ready by Autumn 2020.

Doesn't mean it's going to happen just then.

Regarding old tech, I don't know much about it. But about herbs and the like. Plus, I have a book or two about healing with herbs. Regarding Corona, I would probably Spitzwegerich and Lungenkraut for the cough and mint for... pretty much everything.

Sorry for using the German terms, I'm on mobile and too lazy to look things up on my phone.

I'm a nurse, and I didn't think it was possible to come up with a vaccine in less than 12 months.  Maybe things have changed, but most news sources are saying 12 to 18 months. 

@olympe

Well, Dietmar Hopp says "he hopes". But at least our Minister of Education and Research, Anja Karlizcek, already said that they are evaluating whether it was possible to speed up the process of approval.

Good against cough (usually as tea):

Eibischwurzel - marshmallow root

Huflattichblätter - coughwort leaves

Süßholz - licorice

Königskerzenblüten - common mullein blossoms

Spitzwegerich - ribwort plantain

Lungenkraut - lungwort

Lindenblüten - lime-tree blossoms

@Classycal

The various vaccine developers have a little head start as there are some groups that already researched possible vaccines for SARS and MERS, which both are corona viruses, too. They said that this research did some ground work they could use. Then it was fortunate that Chinese researchers already could post the Covid-19 virus structure early in January, which also helped to speed up things.

The main time needed are the various phase I to III studies and of course the approval process. As I mentioned it seems that at least in Germany it is considered whether it might be possible to speed up this approval process. It is probably a hard weighing up whether it is more beneficial to release a vaccine after shorter study time that might be not fully safe or letting more people die of the disease when there is no vaccine. I guess a lot depends on the success of slowing down the spread of the disease - the slower it spreads, the more time there is for vaccine development.

Edited by Astreya

BY THE WAY - if shortages mean you start to use kitchen towels. Kleenex and wipes instead of TP - PLEASE do not flush it. Sewers cannot handle it, and will start to back up. Keep a closed bin in the bathroom and put used stuff in there. YES it's no fun - but the alternative is a lot less fun. (At times like this I am so glad we have a septic tank !)

https://globalnews.ca/news/6684851/water-system-clogging-coronavirus/

57 minutes ago, Classycal said:

I'm a nurse, and I didn't think it was possible to come up with a vaccine in less than 12 months.  Maybe things have changed, but most news sources are saying 12 to 18 months. 

You're right. There's the small matter of testing for a start (I used to work in Public Health.)

9 hours ago, Kaini said:

It is truly wild to me just how fragile our system is, seemingly. Things changed quite a bit in less than a week.

I think it was mostly a matter of too much just-in-time and too little being-prepared, in general. Nearly the whole world depends/depended on everything being on the move all the time ...

As for the vaccine studies - I just listened to the RKI presser once more without any work distractions. The RKI president Lothar Wieler warned strongly against rushing the testing processes for a vaccine. He said safety of a vaccine absolutely needs to come first. He expects the first workable vaccines to be available in Spring 2021, but he would love to be shown that he's wrong and there wouldl be a vaccine earlier.

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

BY THE WAY - if shortages mean you start to use kitchen towels. Kleenex and wipes instead of TP - PLEASE do not flush it. Sewers cannot handle it, and will start to back up. Keep a closed bin in the bathroom and put used stuff in there. YES it's no fun - but the alternative is a lot less fun. (At times like this I am so glad we have a septic tank !)

oh i hear you there.... my septic system can't handle anything over 1 ply.  that's especially not fun, when last february we had to have a plumber come out and unclog the septic lines... we'd been using the softer stuff for like 5 years... :blink:

3 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I think it was mostly a matter of too much just-in-time and too little being-prepared, in general. Nearly the whole world depends/depended on everything being on the move all the time ...

Yes. It's amazing the graphs showing the reduced pollution in some areas now.

Two new cases here - https://ewnews.com/two-additional-cases-of-covid-19-confirmed

45576426_2086848688047064_26526396581979

Edited by Lagie

Where in the world did you find that about the flu Lagie?  I love historical things.  The world is definitely making history now.  

All schools closed from Friday here in England (plus Scotland and Wales I think) until further notice. Gotta find things to keep kids amused for however long and try take their minds off it. 

😂 Wish they could! The 6 year old might do a few bits, under protest of course, but the 2 year old, no chance yet! Her version of "helping" with the clothes washing is throwing it at my face or  piling it up after I'd folded.

18 hours ago, Classycal said:

Thanks for the articles PDC.  

You're welcome. :) 

12 hours ago, Classycal said:

Hadn't heard that about the US (which is where I live).  What the news is reporting is toilet paper, paper towels, and hand sanitizer.  I believe the news would have been all over guns if that were true.  We are not all gun toting fools.  

That's hilarious about the Dutch, but surely that can't be true.  

Oh, it's true: gun sales are surging throughout the U.S., even in the more liberal states. 

Also, I just read that the Pentagon is dispatching hospital navy ships to help the coronavirus response. They're not providing treatment for Covid-19, they're providing extra beds for non-covid-19 patients so hospitals on land are freed up to deal with coronavirus cases. I've never seen this in my lifetime, not with SARS, swine flu, bird flu, or ebola. 

Please stay safe, everyone.

Edited by purpledragonclaw

In my hometown, at least one adult daycare (for the elderly and/or otherwise impaired) has been closed without any warning. Yesterday, nobody knew anything, and this morning at almost 8 AM, it was announced to be closed.

ETA: Also, the morning rush hour is not happening any more. At least not within the city. Quite the contrary, traffic has gone down to normal Sunday levels in the wee hours of the morning.

Edited by olympe

the supermarket i shop at sent out an email that they're now having senior hours, and they're really early... like 6 to 7 in the morning.  my mom's a senior, and she hasn't been up that early since she retired! (2011, i think).

4 hours ago, Classycal said:

Where in the world did you find that about the flu Lagie?  I love historical things.  The world is definitely making history now.  

Facebook at the Kelowna page. A friend shared it.

We have three cases now.

My cousin had 48 hours to pack up and move her office (she's a physiatrist sports doctor type doctor) because the building it is in is being used to house the active patients, under defense force guard.

The three cruise ships at the docks turn out to be here because all the U.S. docks are full! 😮

Most of the downtown shops are closed so rush hour is light but there are still tourists about. Not as many but...

Wow!  48 hours isn't much time to pack up a doctor's office.  

Are those US tourists?  So if there is no space in the US for the ships to dock, are they stuck there? 

2 minutes ago, Classycal said:

Wow!  48 hours isn't much time to pack up a doctor's office.  

Are those US tourists?  So if there is no space in the US for the ships to dock, are they stuck there? 

Indeed!IMG-20200318-WA0001.thumb.jpg.d38d2c2070ac4faf3d9f1330990557c2.jpg

I'm not sure where they're from. Not the ships; the ships have only crew.

One of my volunteers has an Air BnB guy from Kenya who seems reluctant to leave.

Of course family members can infect each other - they are humans after all and the virus can be transferred from human to human.

The same goes for religious gatherings - I read a report about the 1918 influenza pandemic a short while ago where a Catholic priest in a Spanish town called the people for a 9-day prayer for God's protection against the epidemic and all of the worshippers kissed some holy relics for protection with the result that the majority of them got infected and many died.

Update - I found the article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/closed-borders-and-black-weddings-what-the-1918-flu-teaches-us-about-coronavirus

Edited by Astreya

On 3/16/2020 at 5:12 PM, Ruby Eyes said:

Another city in NRW, nearly half a million of population XD Kind of between olympe and Astreya, on a certain train line.

Another city in NRW here. :P Some 200 km from y'all, though, and - luckily - much smaller, under 100,000 people. But my little rural community ("Kreis") already has more than 100 confirmed cases.

On 3/18/2020 at 4:58 AM, Kaini said:

A week ago I was happy I finally had enough hours at work to pay my rent and bills comfortably. Now, I'm worried I may not have a job at all tomorrow.

I'm so sorry. Wishing you the best of luck!

We Westfalen really meed to meet up sometime after Corona is over...

By now, I work in outpatient care, which is mostly for elderly. One of our clients had her weekly shopping trip (with help from a colleague) scheduled for yesterday. Only... those trips were cancelled (mandatory measure) and changed to the helpers going shopping for our clients instead. So what did our dear old lady, who is in the high-risk group, do? Of course, she ordereed a cab and drove after our shopper. And, of course, she was also delighted to find most cafés still open. (They should have beem closed since yesterday.)

And, quite naturally, she was very unhappy to be "forced" to pay for a cab. Some people... 🤦‍♀️

Edited by olympe
Spelling sucks.