trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

That doesn't sound good, @Astreya.

62 new cases yesterday from 704 tests (positivity rate 8.8%!), 45 of those on my island, for a new total of 10,773. One additional death makes 212 now. :( The latest death is a woman my exact age on my island.

Edited by Lagie

@Lagie

If you look at the numbers, there are still 220-230 persons who die from Covid-19 every day in Germany.

While it's less than between December 2020 and March 2021 (or several other countries right now), this is still too much as every person is dearly missed by his or her friends and loved ones. Sadly for many people this seems to become a mere number. I bet people would  be more shocked if they would imagine it is the equivalent a large Boeing 737-Max or an Airbus A321neo every day.

Spoiler

Covid-19 deaths in Germany from the beginning of the pandemic until today:

covid-death.png

The thick black line is the 7-day average. Grey are the exact numbers per day. [Source]

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

bet people would  be more shocked if they would imagine it is the equivalent a large Boeing 737-Max or an Airbus A321neo every day.

:o

Sometimes people do need something to help them visualize. That is a lot of people. :(

I got my second dose today! My arm is sore, and I did get really tired mid-afternoon, with some light-headedness and mild headaches, but so far, so good. The real test will be tomorrow, which is when the effects can really kick in for some people.

My canton will start giving appointments to all adults regardless of risk status mid-May (soon!), going by the order they signed up.  I still have no idea where I am in the waiting line, but it seems possible that, maybe, I could get the first dose in June. My parents should be fully vaccinated by then, so if the first dose already provides some protection, it should be okay to... I don't know... visit? Be in their house and maybe not even wear a mask? Hug them? I don't even normally want to hug them (or anybody except for my husband), but... would be nice to know I could? (Like using that dish soap for bathing a baby, in case anybody here knows/remembers that commercial.)

Switzerland's case numbers are high, but seem to be declining (slowly) even though some possibly risky decisions were made (e.g. restaurants can open the outdoors sections). Some official said it's nice to be pleasantly surprised, and that it's probably because people have learned to be careful, plus some vaccination effect. I don't know what to think of that, it sounds a little clueless, but I guess I'm getting indifferent about what other people do (including the government). Of course I'm lucky I can stay home most of the time. Although I recently realized that sometimes I would actually like to be able to meet more people. It was a rather unexpected insight.

Congratulations to all the vaccinated DC'ers! 

@Confused Cat

Well, it still is a matter of risk assessment as you will never get 100% safety.

If both your parents are fully vaccinated with the BioNTech/Pfizer mRNA vaccine, they will be about 95% safe from severe illness or death.

Additionally, this vaccine also offers protection against both B.1.1.7 (Kent variant, 87-89.5%) and B.1.135 (South Africa variant, 72-75%). [Source] One can assume that the other mRNA vaccines will have a similar efficacy. [Another study that also considers the Moderna vaccine; The CureVac vaccine is still in Phase III studies (approval projected for June/July 2021), but expected similar effective.]

So far there are no solid numbers for the question how infectious a person can be if they contract Covid-19 after being vaccinated, but the current observations point to the fact that vaccinated persons don't carry as many viruses as persons who contract Covid-19 without being vaccinated, thus they will be less infectious.

So while one cannot give you 100% assurance, maybe you should ponder the following question. When there is flu season and you are not vaccinated, would you then hug your parents? While influenza is somewhat less dangerous than Covid-19, there is also always the risk of severe infection and even death, and the reproduction value of seasonal influenza strains can be up to 2. The R-value of SARS-CoV-2 is about 2.4-3.4 for the wild type and probably twice that for B.1.1.7.

But the vaccination for Covid-19 has a much higher efficacy than that for seasonal influenza. Mind you, even the AstraZeneca vaccine is much more effective against Covid-19 (average 70.4%, up to 90% with the regime of lowered second dose*) than your average influenza vaccine against the flu (which have an efficacy of 40-60% against flu illness).

So no one will give you a 100% all-clear, but I think this should help you making a decision for yourself a bit clearer (I hope).

*) This study was actually behind the problems why the AstraZeneca vaccine was originally causing some question marks with scientists and regulators.

Edited by Astreya

5 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

My canton will start giving appointments to all adults regardless of risk status mid-May (soon!), going by the order they signed up.  I still have no idea where I am in the waiting line, but it seems possible that, maybe, I could get the first dose in June. My parents should be fully vaccinated by then, so if the first dose already provides some protection, it should be okay to... I don't know... visit? Be in their house and maybe not even wear a mask? Hug them?

Well, you can always get tested before you visit for extra safety. :)

57 new cases yesterday from 352 tests (positivity rate 16.2%!), 42 of those on my island, for a new total of 10,830.

For comparison, Australia had 2 cases and went back into full lockdown. We've had 68+58+50+74+8655+63+66+40+64+66+30+27+26+57+52+62+57 (since April 20th)... and not a peep from our government or health officials.

My volunteer whose husband has Covid had to take him to the hospital today. :( I hope he'll be okay.

The increasing positivity rate in your place is worrisome! I'll keep my fingers crossed that the husband of your volunteer will recover ASAP.  It is always worse if one knows a person who is affected - that puts the naked numbers in perspective.

In Germany originally (several months ago, that is) it was planned that things could only re-open when we hit an incidence of 50 (or better 35) new infections per 100 000 people. Now after the numbers pretty much exploded, this threshold was raised to 100 (or even 165 in he case of schools). Very ingenious, that...

----------

As of today, Saturday, May 8, 11:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 534 (-19) active cases, while 9667 (+44)  people are considered to have recovered. 334 (+3) persons sadly died. 1333 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 535 (+34) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 116.2 (-16.2).

Currently 40 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 16 (+1) of them in intensive care, 14 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 93 573 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 68 461 (1st jab) and 17 423 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

----------

As of today, Sunday, May 9, 10:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 534 (+-0) active cases, while 9704 (+37)  people are considered to have recovered. 335 (+1) persons sadly died. 1242 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 573 (+38) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 117.2 (+1.0).

Currently 38 (-2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 15 (-1) of them in intensive care, 12 (-2) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 69 072 (1st jab) and 17 637 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

On 5/2/2021 at 2:55 PM, soullessheartofsteel said:

God, yeah, like I've been seeing headlines about vaccination rates slowing down because now most of the people who haven't gotten at least one dose at this point are the people who don't believe in the vaccine. And we hoarded millions of doses for this?

Ugh that is so irritating. I actually got into a mild argument with my BIL who said we're living in fear, blah blah. I said no, we're living in empathy, and making sure we don't potentially infect anyone else, and that we're also using common sense and trying to not get it ourselves. He just blustered, and now he and his family aren't speaking to us, lol. 

From talking to friends/family in different states, some of the scheduling and sites are an issue, as they all seem to be set during 'regular' working hours, and some people are having a difficult time getting the time off to get vaccinated.
   I'm hoping that once vaccines get released to local pharmacies, and walk-ins are allowed (like the flu shot) more people will have access.

(PS: Thank you for the Khalsa Aid info!)

AngelsSin, I hear you, and really feel for you. Can you talk to your doctor or pharmacist to see how to deal with anticipating a possible reaction? Your willingness and determination to get it, despite your deep fear of needles and worry over a reaction, is courage indeed.

Yay for all the first and second shots happening in here. It's wonderful to read!

Lagie and Astreya, It's shocking to see your numbers! It's frustrating and disheartening that we can't get a handle on it. The situations in India and Brazil are heartbreaking and I'm angry that not enough is being done to help.

I am so happy I was allowed to sign up for my shots due to medical reasons now. I've got 3 seperate medical issues that sum up enough for a hightened risk according to the german governement issue on vaccines.

My doc handed me the paperwork today and I promptly signed up, since the according group was cleared for signups today. On the waiting list now and will get an appointment automatically as soon as there is a free time slot; in my federal country (Germany, Niedersachsen), you sign up at a central "waiting area" and fill out a form with all possible weekdays and time slots that you are able to come in to the center and when there's a matching opening and it's your turn on the list it is automatically book for you and you get a notification via phone or email. :)

Edited by Nalyua

@Uther_Pendragon

It's really sad that your BIL and his family are so ignorant about the problem! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you and yours loved ones will stay safe.

In Germany there are now some model experiments where vaccination buses are sent to hot spots to reach people who would probably not have gone to a GP or vaccination centre. It appears that they get quite some positive feedback as there are often people who have problems getting information as they don't really speak much German or live in a bubble where they don't get proper information.

At the moment the numbers in Germany are going down, but unfortunately this is always the sign that people start to call for the easing of the restrictions. I really wonder when people will get it into their heads that the number are going down because of the restrictions and that they will go up again right away when people put down their guard!

@Nalyua

Congrats and good luck for an early appointment!

----------

As of today, Monday, May 10, 11:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 483 (-51) active cases, while 9761 (+57)  people are considered to have recovered. 335 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1242 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 579 (+6) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 115.3 (-1.9).

Currently 38 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 15 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 12 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 69 710 (1st jab) and 17 795 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

@Astreya Thanks, actually I was super lucky. My GP advised me to stalk the central booking page (where you also sign up for waiting list) because cancelled appointments are being put online every couple of hours. I was really lucky and snagged one for this week's friday. :)

Apparently a professional DCer knows how to stalk homepages for stuff. 😁

@Nalyua

Sounds perfect!  Then I wish you a successful and side-effect free vaccination!

3 hours ago, Nalyua said:

Apparently a professional DCer knows how to stalk homepages for stuff. 😁

Good skill to have! Glad you got an appt!

32 new cases Saturday from 274 tests (positivity rate 11.7%!), 26 of those on my island, and 46 new cases yesterday from 313 tests (positivity rate 14.7%!), 35 of those on my island, for a new total of 10,908. Two additional deaths, one each day, takes that total to 214. :( And still silence from our government.

25 new cases yesterday from only 124 tests (positivity rate 20.1%!), 23 of those on my island, for a new total of 10,933. And still silence from our government.

I am booked for my second vaccine on Monday!

@Lagie

Great that you'll be soon fully vaccinated! *boogie*

The 7-day-incidence per 100 000 people is still over 100 here, which means the "emergency brake" is still active. Other parts of Germany already managed to get under 100. On the plus side, 34% of the citizens in my town have gotten their first jab by now. The number of fully vaccinated people is only at 8.4% at the moment, though.

----------

As of today, Tuesday, May 11, 12:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 442 (-41) active cases, while 9817 (+56)  people are considered to have recovered. 337 (+2) persons sadly died. 1203 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 596 (+17) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 119.1 (+3.8).

Currently 41 (+3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 13 (-3) of them in intensive care, 10 (-2) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 94 609 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 71 616 (1st jab) and 18 036 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

----------

As of today, Wednesday, May 12, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 397 (-45) active cases, while 9876 (+59)  people are considered to have recovered. 338 (+1) persons sadly died. 1091 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 611 (+15) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 112.4 (-6.7).

Currently 44 (+3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (-2) of them in intensive care, 10 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 95 009 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 72 359 (1st jab) and 18 306 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

7 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

Great that you'll be soon fully vaccinated! *boogie*

The 7-day-incidence per 100 000 people is still over 100 here, which means the "emergency brake" is still active. Other parts of Germany already managed to get under 100. On the plus side, 34% of the citizens in my town have gotten their first jab by now. The number of fully vaccinated people is only at 8.4% at the moment, though.

Pretty much like my place, then (just that our website has the absolute numbers and not percentages, and I don't want to do the exact Maths 😆).

@Lagie: Yay for your second appointment! Hope it goes well for you.

I may or may not have a first jab in about 10 days.

Theoretically, I'm in priority group 3, as defined by government law. That's how I was able to sign up for that appointment.

Unfortunately, I'm not part of the eligible subgroups (police, groceries etc) as defined by Northrhine-Westfalian ministers. Who needs IT, after all? Besides all those groceries etc that depend on IT to run, I mean.

Will see if I get sent home without a jab or not.

The crazy thing is, I'm one of the last few in the company to get it. Since nobody decides to work on mainframes these days, I'm the youngest - and above 40 already.

That means, everyone else is either old enough or with various preconditions that got them their jabs earlier.

My brother got it for having multiple sclerosis, his wife for psychological issues, my father, my GF ... everyone but me.

Kind of JUST like everyone else who works in a freaking office is allowed to do home office EXCEPT the people in our company because our boss doesn't trust us.

I am very frustrated.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I hope you are able to get yours, @Ruby Eyes!

My volunteer's husband is still in hospital and still testing positive for Covid. :(

33 new cases yesterday from 235 tests (positivity rate 14%!), 25 of those on my island, for a new total of 10,966. One additional death takes that total to 215. :(And still silence from our government.

@Ruby Eyes

I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything will work perfectly for you!

@Lagie

The positivity rate in your place sounds worrisome! Here it's slowly sinking again. At the moment we have 10.3% when last week it was 11.2%.

----------

As of today, Thursday, May 13, 10:45 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 413 (+16) active cases, while 9908 (+32)  people are considered to have recovered. 339 (+1) persons sadly died. 1010 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 660 (+49) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 111.5 (-0.9).

Currently 36 (-8) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (-1) of them in intensive care, 9 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 95 064 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 76 402 (1st jab) and 19 168 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

19 minutes ago, Astreya said:

The positivity rate in your place sounds worrisome! Here it's slowly sinking again. At the moment we have 10.3% when last week it was 11.2%.

Very! Yesterday's was 11.6% again.

58 new cases yesterday from 498 tests (positivity rate 11.6%!), 56 of those on my island, for a new total of 11,024. One additional death takes that total to 216. :( And still silence from our government.

5 hours ago, Lagie said:

58 new cases yesterday from 498 tests (positivity rate 11.6%!), 56 of those on my island, for a new total of 11,024. One additional death takes that total to 216. :( And still silence from our government.

What's that denominator for the 216? I'm always cautious of "x number of people in y place have died from covid in z amount of time" when the denominator isn't mentioned. Examples: 216/300 is scary, 216/1 million is reasonable - and I'd say incredibly optimistic - with the virus.

Edited by KrazyKarp

8 hours ago, KrazyKarp said:

What's that denominator for the 216?

Our population is just under 400,000, if that's the denominator you mean. Or do you want the total number of cases there (11,024)?

First time in ages, our 7-day-incidence is below 100. If that keeps for a few more days, they will lift the emergency brake here. (In Germany they do this per "Kreis" (=district) or "kreisfreie Stadt" (=city that doesn't belong to a Kreis, but has the same rank), of which we have 401 (294+107), not for the whole country, which makes things a bit chaotic at the moment.)

----------

As of today, Friday, May 14, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 356 (-57) active cases, while 9986 (+78)  people are considered to have recovered. 339 (+-0) persons sadly died. 962 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 681 (+21) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 85.9 (-25.6).

Currently 37 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 9 (-1) of them in intensive care, 8 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 76 975 (1st jab) and 19 964 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya