trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

2 hours ago, Astreya said:

But from the rapid tests for non-symptomatic people, it appears as if the number of hidden infections isn't that high here

The hidden numbers here are suspected to be very high, sadly. (I wish I'd photographed the graph when it was in the paper last week.)

In the past 7 days here, 448 cases. That's a lot of known cases! :blink:

@Lagie

It seems that the numbers are pretty bad in quite some areas that took down the guard for even a very short time.

We can but hope that the vaccine producerd will ramp up their production even faster so that they can ship it truly world wide. After all, all areas where the virus is left unchecked will produce even more mutations additional to the horrible suffering of the people.

----------

As of today, Saturday, May 1, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 738 (+32) active cases, while 9236 (+31)  people are considered to have recovered. 318 (+-0) persons sadly died. 2034 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 292 (+63 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 151.4 (+3.8).

Currently 63 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 19 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 15 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 92 900 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 56 634 (1st jab) and 16 096 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the good thoughts!

I got the 2nd Pfizer a couple days ago! The soreness wasn't as heavy, and it's easing faster. I had only a mild tiredness. I was expecting it to be worse than the first, but was pleasantly surprised. It's interesting how the vaccine effects, like covid itself, are so individual.

I've been so grateful for all of you! Reading here has helped me feel like I wasn't alone, and the info, personal stories, and wisdom shared has helped so much. It's been reassuring and validating to 'see' people who have been taking covid very seriously all along.

I'm in TN, and the governor is opening everything fully around May 15th. No covid restrictions at all and, from my understanding, is also removing mayoral authority to set mask mandates for individual cities.
   It's irresponsible, when not enough people are yet choosing to be vaccinated. (Of course TN is 48th for adult vaccinations, and one of the worst states for infection rate. Gah, it's ridiculous. Leadership at its worst) I am very worried about more mutations cropping up.

It's maddening that not enough is being reported about the fact that you can still catch (and still possibly die!), or silently transmit, even after vaccination. Popped out for groceries today, and was the only person, of about 50-60, wearing a mask. It is infuriating that so many seem to only care about their own comfort or desires, instead of the community as a whole. (Thankful I'm in a very rural spot, and don't have to see other humans very often!)

I have so many questions about covid that I realize simply can't be answered yet. I look forward to the data dumps as more is collected, studied, and examined from different angles.

Sending you all good thoughts! Please, please be safe.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/covid-investigations/tennessee-records-some-of-countrys-worst-covid-19-vaccination-rates-cdc-data-reveals

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/gov-bill-lee-to-make-announcement-at-capitol

Edited by Uther_Pendragon

Posted (edited)

@Uther_Pendragon

I absolutely agree that it is so infuriating when people gnore the seriousness of the situation in so many places! While I can understand the problems others face as the lockdown is bad for the economy, IMO letting a pandemic rip through the world is also bad for the economy - plus lives lost cannot be rebuild, other than businesses.

If you have any questions, just ask. I always try to stay at the bleeding edge of information and research, and maybe I ran into explanations for you somewhere.

----------

As of today, Sunday, May 2, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 754 (+16) active cases, while 9262 (+26)  people are considered to have recovered. 318 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1873 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 334 (+42) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 151.8 (+0.4).

Currently 62 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 19 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 15 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 57 467 (1st jab) and 16 206 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

8 hours ago, Astreya said:

It seems that the numbers are pretty bad in quite some areas that took down the guard for even a very short time.

Very. In fact, just yesterday we had 104 cases. And nothing has been done towards ramping up restrictions again (though some of the private schools have switched back to virtual or hydrid learning).

Posted (edited)

My sympathies go out to India, as cases are exploding right now. Like in the US, their government has hollowed out their healthcare system, with the added difficulty of being an extremely dense nation with sparser infrastructure, and not getting first dibs on vaccines as "first world" governments hoard more doses than they need and companies refuse to release patents. Khalsa Aid is a trusted humanitarian organization in India, independent of the government and have recently been aiding farmers during their protests against Modi's push to privatize the industry. I am very far from rich by American standards, but a little goes a long way as US/EU currency is far stronger than the rupee. $10 here is worth more than a day's wages in India, and given that the US just recently emerged from its own COVID nightmare, I felt compelled to do something.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/apr/28/crime-against-humanity-arundhati-roy-india-covid-catastrophe?utm_source=pocket-newtab

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/indias-sudden-coronavirus-wave-is-not-a-far-away-problem/2021/04/23/f363bda2-a3a3-11eb-85fc-06664ff4489d_story.html

Obviously my country has a lot of big things to worry about, and juggling another nation's problems on top of our own can sometimes be too much to ask. But it infuriates me to see the same old patterns of inequality play out yet again in the middle of a catastrophe that should have united us and made us realize how vulnerable each of us are and how much we depend on one another. "First world" nations ignore the plight of India and Brazil at their own peril. Labs in India are recording new variants in Bengal, which have mutations that may reduce vaccine efficacy. Even if we disregard the human suffering in India, allowing these variants to spread unchecked will bring dire consequences to the wealthy nations whose governments chose to ignore them. (And those consequences will largely affect the most disadvantaged within those wealthy nations, and not the leaders themselves, who made the decision in the first place).

Edited by soullessheartofsteel
forgot to finish a sentence lol

I was thinking about the situation in India today while I was out. One place I stopped was asking people in the store if they needed a vaccine since they had two that were set to expire and they just wanted to use them without throwing them away. People in India are dying in the streets and we have vaccines that are being thrown out because of expiration. It's maddening. 

If there's one thing we should have learned from this, it's that we're all in this together as a planet. If we don't as a world get this under control it will never be under control. Cutting off travel between these countries won't be enough, they need to have as much PPE and vaccine access that wealthier countries have. 

God, yeah, like I've been seeing headlines about vaccination rates slowing down because now most of the people who haven't gotten at least one dose at this point are the people who don't believe in the vaccine. And we hoarded millions of doses for this?

Not everyone who hasn't gotten the shot is anti vaccine. I haven't gotten my shots yet.

Part of that is that my biggest phobia is needles. And it is easier for me to have blood taken than to get a shot. The other part is I do know I don't always react well to vaccines.

I got really sick as a baby after my mom got me vaccinated for Small Pox. I was sick for about a month. So I have concerns more about my reaction to the vaccine, and my fear of needles, than fear of the vaccine itself. Now I will get the vaccine and likely soon, but I have to work myself up to that point. Also there is no telling if these vaccines will be effective against all variations. And if this is a yearly thing I don't think I could handle doing that every year.

The situation in India is really awful from what I see/read in the news. I'm doubly livid as it was obviously aggravated by the fact that the Indian government decided to downplay things, refused to listen to scientists about the upcoming new waver and didn't prepare, instead talking down numbers and encouraging mass events.

I really wish that there will be a reckoning for the politicians that failed their people after the pandemic, from Trump over Bolsonaro to Modi via some other populist autocrats.

----------

As of today, Monday, May 3, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 729 (-25) active cases, while 9296 (+34)  people are considered to have recovered. 318 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1834 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 343 (+9) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 147.6 (-4.2).

Currently 58 (-4) persons are treated in hospitals, with 20 (+1) of them in intensive care, 14 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 58 301 (1st jab) and 16 315 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

I'm scheduled for vaccination tomorrow - finally! Keep your fingers crossed for no side effects, I need to teach one more class afterwards.

2 hours ago, Fly-by-Night said:

I'm scheduled for vaccination tomorrow - finally! Keep your fingers crossed for no side effects, I need to teach one more class afterwards.

Yay! And side effects seem to come a few hours later so you should be okay to teach immediately after.

27 new cases on Sunday, from 234 tests, 23 of those on my island, for a total of 10,576. Ten 'under investigation' deaths were reclassified to Covid deaths and one additional death as well makes 210 deaths now. :(

6 hours ago, Lagie said:

Yay! And side effects seem to come a few hours later so you should be okay to teach immediately after.

My class starts four hours later, at 3:45pm... Let's see how this works out.

Posted (edited)

@Fly-by-Night

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything works out nicely for you!

----------

As of today, Tuesday, May 4, 08:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 638 (-91) active cases, while 9395 (+99)  people are considered to have recovered. 321 (+3) persons sadly died. 1855 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 354 (+11) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 137.6 (-10.0).

Currently 65 (+7) persons are treated in hospitals, with 20 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 16 (+2) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 92 956 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 58 774 (1st jab) and 16 425 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Fly-by-Night

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything works out nicely for you!

Thanks! I'm actually totally fine (arm's a bit sore, but who cares). *knocks on wood* Maybe my brain supplies me with the correct forms of the indefinido a tad faster on normal days, but that may just be down to the excitement, not the shot itself. 😄

Tonight, I dreamt that Michelle and Barack Obama were visiting me, so clearly my subconscious knew something special was about to happen. 😆

@Michelle Obama: I'm really sorry I couldn't help ypu with your laundry; I really don't understand why my washing machine was frozen solid.

Edited by Fly-by-Night

8 hours ago, Fly-by-Night said:

Thanks! I'm actually totally fine (arm's a bit sore, but who cares).

Yay for fine! :)

26 new cases yesterday from a mere 131 tests (positivity rate 19.8%!), 19 of those on my island, for a new total of 10,602. One additional death brings that total to 211. :(

I got my second shot today! The nurse who helped me was so enthusiastic and excited that I was in for my second dose. It was a really pleasant experience. The shot itself was much less painful, too (maybe this nurse was more skilled?), and my arm has been slightly sore, but it's nothing at all compared to the first dose. I've had worse flu shots. It's been a little over 8 hours so I know there's still a chance for side effects, but right now I feel good. I'm so glad to finally be fully vaccinated!

6 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

I got my second shot today! The nurse who helped me was so enthusiastic and excited that I was in for my second dose.

The nurse who vaccinated me was excited about "seeing so many young people today" (there were several people who were allowed to come for job-related risks, among them most of my colleagues). I had to smile, as I'm over 40. :D But I guess that IS young compared to those over 80 and over 70, who've been vaccinated in the past weeks.

@Fly-by-Night

That's really cool! Looks like now you'll be fully vaccinated before me even though I got the first jab earlier XD

When is your second appointment? I have to wait until mid-June still.

I really hope that there will not be too many people who adamantly refuse getting vaccinated in the end. I saw a report some days ago that the trade with faked vaccination passes is starting to flourish, which is awful as these people endanger vulnerable people around them who can't be vaccinated for various reasons.

2 minutes ago, Astreya said:

@Fly-by-Night

That's really cool! Looks like now you'll be fully vaccinated before me even though I got the first jab earlier XD

When is your second appointment? I have to wait until mid-June still.

Mid-June as well. :)

Posted (edited)

@Fly-by-Night

Hey, cool! Then we can celebrate a virtual "being fully vaccinated party" on Summer solstice! chaka.gif

----------

As of today, Wednesday, May 5, 09:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 578 (-60) active cases, while 9482 (+87)  people are considered to have recovered. 324 (+3) persons sadly died. 1783 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 384 (+30) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 136.6 (-1.0).

Currently 63 (-2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 19 (-1) of them in intensive care, 13 (-3) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 93 044 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen. From 2825 rapid tests yesterday only 2 were positive.

There have been 59 274 (1st jab) and 16 523 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

----------

As of today, Thursday, May 6, 13:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 556 (-22) active cases, while 9552 (+70)  people are considered to have recovered. 325 (+1) persons sadly died. 1620 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 433 (+49) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 141.4 (-4.8).

Currently 46 (-17) persons are treated in hospitals, with 15 (-4) of them in intensive care, 13 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 93 100 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 64 015 (1st jab) and 16 814 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Astreya said:

I really hope that there will not be too many people who adamantly refuse getting vaccinated in the end. I saw a report some days ago that the trade with faked vaccination passes is starting to flourish,

We have one staff member who's flat-out refusing, but I suspect he'll give in eventually as he likes to travel and with the vaccine, that's a lot simpler inter-island here.

And yes, we're having the same faked documents issue here, sadly.

Edit to add:

The leader of our opposition has delusions of grandeur, it seems.

Screenshot_20210505-081953.thumb.jpg.db7095218365e1b72a126f39d1b07df3.jpg

He's not even a scientist or a doctor yet he makes it sound as though he single-handedly discovered the Covid variants. (Our PM actually is a medical doctor. I know which of the two I trust more right now.)

Edited by Lagie
Adding image

i am now fully vaccinated - dose #2 was two weeks ago :D

younger daughter (19) just got dose #1 yesterday afternoon (pretty sure it was Pfizer), and hubby gets dose #2 in 10 days (Pfizer). :)

8 hours ago, trystan said:

i am now fully vaccinated - dose #2 was two weeks ago :D

Yay!

57 new cases yesterday from 459 tests (positivity rate 12.4%!), 51 of those on my island, for a new total of 10,659. 

Got my first dose today (Pfizer) about 4 hours ago. Doing fine thus far, my arm's just barely sore.

Second dose scheduled - keeping fingers crossed that it doesn't bother me too badly, as the appointment is set for earlier the same day my other half is scheduled for a procedure on his eyes, which means I need to be well enough to drive him and wait around while he's in having it done. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to put of my second dose for a day, due to the way the place I went to has their appointments running. As it is, I had to plead with them to get my appointment earlier in the day so that I'll be done before I have to play taxi service. They wanted me to come in at the same time as his procedure.