trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

@Caius I'm so glad to hear your test came back negative!

@Uther_Pendragon I'm so glad your father and your husband are now fully vaccinated, and congrats on getting your first dose! It's so heartening to read this thread now, compared to where we were in the world last year, and see so many people posting that they and their loved ones are getting vaccinated.

I got my first shot of Pfizer today! My arm is sore, but it's comparable to the pain I feel after the flu shot. 

Speaking of Pfizer, the Pfizer CEO said a third booster shot will probably be needed 6-12 months after the second dose.

Honestly I think this is gonna be just like flu shots that you have to get like every year.

I had a super sore throat last week just the day I was supposed to get my blood sampled so I can get a doctor's order against Vector-Vaccinations (I got a high risk for thrombosis but the original like 15 year old documents proving that are gone, most likely lost during a move, the practice that did those bloodworks after my thrombosis doesn't exist anymore and my copy was gone). So the doc said I should just come anyway but stay outside and get tested (since Covid causes thrombosis as well), thankfully negative so they went ahead with the bloodwork.

Not that I'm gonna get a vaccination anytime soon but here we cannot choose the type of shot you get and in case they revoke the Astra only above 60 and introduce any other Vector-Vaccine without age limits we wanted to get the proof that disqualifies me for those ready. Unfortunately in Germany no one has any idea when we younger people will acutally getting their shots.

Posted (edited)

@Nalyua

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can get vaccinated with an mRNA vaccine ASAP! It appears that for the future the EU wants to concentrate on acquiring more of the mRNA vaccines anyway after all the trouble with AstraZeneca and now Johnson&Johnson. (Plus it appears that there are doubts about the quality of Sputnik V, and the efficacy of Sinovac appears to be less than originally announced.)

----------

As of today, Saturday, April 17, 10:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 641 (+34) active cases, while 8452 (+34)  people are considered to have recovered. 311 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1431 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 9404 (+68) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 144.7 (-3.8).

Currently 82 (+2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 17 (-1) of them in intensive care, 14 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration. (Currently 15.0% of the ICU beds in Oberhausen are still available [Source])

All in all there have been 90 811 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 40 557 (1st jab) and 13 480 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far. (The big jump in first vaccinations is due to the fact that reports from GPs came in with delay.)

----------

As of today, Sunday, April 18, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 683 (+42) active cases, while 8496 (+44)  people are considered to have recovered. 311 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1401 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 9490 (+86) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 163.2 (+18.5).

Currently 74 (-8) persons are treated in hospitals, with 18 (+1) of them in intensive care, 15 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 41 226 (1st jab) and 13 771 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

----------

As of today, Monday, April 19, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 720 (+37) active cases, while 8500 (+4)  people are considered to have recovered. 311 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1498 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 9531 (+41) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 173.7 (+10.5).

Currently 71 (-3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 18 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 16 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 41 900 (1st jab) and 14 021 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

----------

As of today, Tuesday, April 20, 09:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 688 (-32) active cases, while 8556 (+56)  people are considered to have recovered. 313 (+2) persons sadly died. 1581 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 9557 (+26) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 158.0 (-15.7).

Currently 75 (+4) persons are treated in hospitals, with 19 (+1) of them in intensive care, 16 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 91 544 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 42 667 (1st jab) and 14 193 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

----------

As of today, Wednesday, April 21, 10:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 668 (-20) active cases, while 8620 (+64)  people are considered to have recovered. 313 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1770 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 9601 (+44) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 137.6 (-20.4).

Currently 67 (-8) persons are treated in hospitals, with 17 (-2) of them in intensive care, 16 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 91 678 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 43 775 (1st jab) and 14 371 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

Screenshot_20210417-184238.thumb.jpg.df5fd57923bef66a0339e7f2b2b843ed.jpg

Yup. Cases definitely on the rise here. The number of cases in one day has tripled, yet almost 100 fewer tests were done, so the percent positive is rising. And from none in ICU to two, now we're at 4. :( And 3 additional deaths to 184. :(

16 hours ago, Lagie said:

Screenshot_20210417-184238.thumb.jpg.df5fd57923bef66a0339e7f2b2b843ed.jpg

Yup. Cases definitely on the rise here. The number of cases in one day has tripled, yet almost 100 fewer tests were done, so the percent positive is rising. And from none in ICU to two, now we're at 4. :( And 3 additional deaths to 184. :(

Hugs!  I saw your post in the CPA about starting a house-sitting gig, hopefully that will provide some distraction, though if the neighbors party, a bit too much distraction.  Fingers crossed for a peaceful time. :)

So, I got my second Covid-19 vaccine this past Thursday and yesterday evening I started feeling a little flu-ish. And my left arm where it was given and the lymph nodes in that armpit are a little swollen and really sore. Which apparently is an immune response. Other than that I'm okay. Just tired. LOL

Posted (edited)

Germany just passed a tightened version of the Infektionsschutzgesetz ("infection protection law") via Bundestag (German parliament) and Bundesrat (the legislative body that represents the sixteen Länder/states) in record time to try and get the infection numbers down again. This amendment finally allows the Federal government to set restrictions etc on a federal level. Let's see if the states will obey and see to it that we finally get the same rules in the whole of the country.

Germany-wide, the percentage of positive results from the Covid PCR tests has risen to 12.41% now - add this to the fact that the number of tests has risen too, this indicated that the dark number of cases is growing, too. At least by now 21.6% of the population got at least one covid jab, with 6.9% of the population being fully vaccinated (and since last Sunday my parents gladly belong to this group, too).

In Oberhausen, the number of patients needing artificial respiration has been worryingly high for quite a while now - about a quarter of those that need hospital treatment. According to DIVI we currently only have 8 free ICU beds in the whole city, that is 10% of the capacity..

----------

As of today, Thursday, April 22, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 679 (+11) active cases, while 8701 (+81)  people are considered to have recovered. 314 (+1) persons sadly died. 1815 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 9694 (+93) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 145.7 (+8.1).

Currently 65 (-2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 16 (-1) of them in intensive care, 15 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 91 799 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 44 529 (1st jab) and 14 545 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

----------

As of today, Friday, April 23, 09:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 726 (+47) active cases, while 8764 (+63)  people are considered to have recovered. 314 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1906 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 9804 (+110) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 154.2 (+8.5).

Currently 63 (-2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 17 (+1) of them in intensive care, 15 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 92 073 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 46 942 (1st jab) and 14 559 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

----------

As of today, Saturday, April 24, 10:15 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 769 (+43) active cases, while 8798 (+34)  people are considered to have recovered. 314 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1970 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 9881 (+77) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 168.8 (+14.2).

Currently 52 (-11) persons are treated in hospitals, with 15 (-2) of them in intensive care, 14 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 92 169 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 47 841 (1st jab) and 14 763 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

----------

As of today, Sunday, April 25, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 809 (+40) active cases, while 8841 (+43)  people are considered to have recovered. 314 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1972 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 9964 (+83) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 186.0 (+17.2).

Currentl 48 (-4) persons are treated in hospitals, with 17 (+2) of them in intensive care, 15 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 48 561 (1st jab) and 14 950 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

so, almost 19 hours after jab 2, all is well except for the sore upper arm and the occasional little headaches, but i have generic tylenol for that. we'll see how today progresses - i have things to this afternoon and tonight XD

58 cases from 408 tests yesterday, 42 on my island, taking our total to 9,926. Our hospitalizations are way up. Yet there are still a great many Covidiots out there who refuse to take the vaccine as it's 'the Mark of the Beast' (the preachers that are still spouting that idiocy need to be defrocked) or it's Bill Gates funding the vaccines so he can microchip the world, expanded to say the microchip will go straight to your brain and stop you from thinking for yourself (that ship has already sailed).

Screenshot_20210422-171326.thumb.jpg.a54a005716e826f6e46bf85b37c0f2da.jpg

Yeah, yeah - the "federal emergency break" that sets in when a municipality surpasses a 7-day-incidence of 100 per 100 000 population for 3 days and more had to be activated  for the majority of Germany. My hometown is currently aiming for an incidence of 200 right now, so here we have to endure another curfew from 22:00 to 05:00 plus more shops have to close again, and the schools have to return to online education again.

I'm so annoyed that the carelessness of quite a lot of people who prefer to demonstrate without masks and distancing or who need to party like there is no tomorrow catapults the numbers up and thus of course only extends the time we have to endure stricter measures. I really wonder why it doesn't get into these people's heads that they are the main drivers of the infections by their stupidity and that we likely would already have far more freedom if they wouldn't have worked so hard on spreading the virus so much further!

On the plus side, the speed of the vaccination campaign increases and there are almost 25% of people who got at least one jab and a bit over 7% who are now fully vaccinated.

On the minus side, the ICU beds are still filling up with Covid-19 patients, and currently there are 5122 people in ICUs, 2905 of them needing invasive artificial respiration.

In my hometown, there are currently only 3 free ICU beds available (of 79 ICU beds in the hospitals here). Admittedly, only 25% of these beds are used for Covid patients, but you have to keep ICU capacity free for heart attacks, strokes, accidents, and other things too.

----------

As of today, Monday, April 26, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 789 (-20) active cases, while 8971 (+56)  people are considered to have recovered. 314 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1940 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10000 (+36) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 193.6 (+6.4).

Currently 57 (+9) persons are treated in hospitals, with 18 (+1) of them in intensive care, 15 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 49 343 (1st jab) and 15 125 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Astreya said:

I'm so annoyed that the carelessness of quite a lot of people who prefer to demonstrate without masks and distancing or who need to party like there is no tomorrow catapults the numbers up and thus of course only extends the time we have to endure stricter measures. I really wonder why it doesn't get into these people's heads that they are the main drivers of the infections by their stupidity and that we likely would already have far more freedom if they wouldn't have worked so hard on spreading the virus so much further!

Yes. We are having widespread partying and masklessness, too, combined with not willing to take the vaccine stupidity, and our cases are rising like crazy. We're now over 10,000 and the hospitals are full. The vaccine in now available to anyone 18 and older but so many people are still prevaricating or refusing.

But... it is a nice change to see this in the news:

IMG-20210426-WA0003.thumb.jpg.acb99dea722b006973fe208a71573eec.jpg

About time the police did their jobs.

Edited by Lagie
Adding image

Posted (edited)

@Lagie

Indeed!  I really think the police need to be more strict against people who don't follow the measures, and that way there would be a bigger chance to curb the virus spread. Unfortunately here you find more and more people who whine around that "their right are taken away" and that particularly they have a right to walk around as they want and infect as many people as possible. Welcome the Masque of the Red Death!

Frankly, if it was just for them, I would say let them apply for their personal Darwin Award, but unfortunately they fill up the hospitals and infect other people who might no have the choice.

----------

As of today, Tuesday, April 27, 11:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 711 (-78) active cases, while 9008 (+111)  people are considered to have recovered. 316 (+2) persons sadly died. 1940 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10035 (+35) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 183.6 (-10.0).

Currently 59 (+2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 18 (+1) of them in intensive care, 13 (-2) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 92 356 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 50 394 (1st jab) and 15 289 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

63 cases today (only 294 tests) = 10,283; 51 of those on my island. :(

Posted (edited)

I meant to post this before, but I got my first dose (Pfizer) two weeks ago, and they gave me a cute little button! My arm hurt a good bit for a day or two, but I didn't have any other side effects. So I expect my second dose will be awful. :lol: My husband got his the day after mine and ended up super nauseous, so hopefully he'll be fine for his second. It seems unfair to get side effects twice!

I'm also incredibly relieved that my parents and grandparents have all had their second doses. I've been so worried for my grandparents through all of this.

Button:

Spoiler

Covid Button 1.jpg

Edited by GhostMouse

38 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

I got my first dose (Pfizer) two weeks ago, and they gave me a cute little button! My arm hurt a good bit for a day or two, but I didn't have any other side effects. So I expect my second dose will be awful.

not necessarily!  i had pretty much the same side effects for both my doses, the only real difference being with my second dose, my upper arm was a little sore a day longer and the lymph nodes under my arm were a little tender for about a 1/2 day.  that was it.  i had upper arm soreness both times, and little (annoying) headaches from time to time throughout the few days my arm was sore. (2 days for the first dose, 3 days for the second.)

i got a sticker when i got my first dose, but no sticker or button after my second XD 

12 minutes ago, trystan said:

not necessarily!  i had pretty much the same side effects for both my doses, the only real difference being with my second dose, my upper arm was a little sore a day longer and the lymph nodes under my arm were a little tender for about a 1/2 day.  that was it.  i had upper arm soreness both times, and little (annoying) headaches from time to time throughout the few days my arm was sore. (2 days for the first dose, 3 days for the second.)

i got a sticker when i got my first dose, but no sticker or button after my second XD 

I was mostly joking, but this is reassuring! I'm not dreading it or anything, just preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

Stickers are cool, too! I imagine I won't get a second button, but I guess we'll see. My clinic even had a selfie wall. I skipped it the first time (no one else there used it, so it felt too awkward) but maybe I'll go for it next time, lol.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

I was mostly joking, but this is reassuring! I'm not dreading it or anything, just preparing for the worst and hoping for the best

yeah, i get that XD 

i was kinda nervous both times, actually. but i'm glad i didn't experience any of the major side effects i've heard about.

edit to add - handy-dandy chart of the CDC's updated mask guidelines~

Spoiler

CDC-Safe-activity-list-April-27.jpeg?w=595

Edited by trystan

10 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

I meant to post this before, but I got my first dose (Pfizer) two weeks ago, and they gave me a cute little button! My arm hurt a good bit for a day or two, but I didn't have any other side effects. So I expect my second dose will be awful. :lol:

My parents got their second BioNTech/Pfizer jab last weekend and they only experienced some pain in the arm both times, nothing worse.

I still wait for my second jab as I got AstraZeneca the first time, and this means I only get the second jab in mid June. As things stand it will be the BioNTech or Moderna vaccine then as people under 60 currently don't get AZ anymore unless they explicitly want it.

----------

As of today, Wednesday, April 28, 13:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 684 (-27) active cases, while 9071 (+63)  people are considered to have recovered. 316 (+-0) persons sadly died. 2123 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10071 (+36) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 156.1 (-27.5).

Currently 59 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 16 (-2) of them in intensive care, 11 (-2) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 92 474 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 51 441 (1st jab) and 15 431 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

11 hours ago, Astreya said:

I still wait for my second jab as I got AstraZeneca the first time, and this means I only get the second jab in mid June.

Me, too. June 6th ish.

+ 66 cases yesterday (in 489 tests) for a total of 10,349; 53 of those on my island. No new deaths reported.

I'm thinking about how life used to be, now. It's been long enough I'm actually kind of forgetting, when masks just weren't a thing anybody considered wearing. No fear going out. Sad that this has gone on long enough for me to have nostalgia for the good old days.

Posted (edited)

@Lagie

June 16 here.

I wonder of it might not even be better to get the AZ jab and then an mRNA one as the AZ vaccine has proven to give a better cellular (T cell) response (31% vs 12% for BioNTech), while the latter gives a better antibody response (97% vs 93%). The data was collected for people over 80 years of age, but I doubt it is too different for younger people.  [Source]

----------

As of today, Thursday, April 29, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 690 (+6) active cases, while 9140 (+69)  people are considered to have recovered. 317 (+1) persons sadly died. 2136 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 147 (+76) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 148.5 (-7.6).

Currently 61 (+2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 18 (+2) of them in intensive care, 15 (+4) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 92 568 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 52 214 (1st jab) and 15 583 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

40 news cases yesterday, from 415 tests, 35 on my island for a total now of 10,389. No additional deaths.

On 4/28/2021 at 8:42 PM, Kaini said:

I'm thinking about how life used to be, now. It's been long enough I'm actually kind of forgetting, when masks just weren't a thing anybody considered wearing. No fear going out. Sad that this has gone on long enough for me to have nostalgia for the good old days.

Same. There was even a drawing assignment in art class of “draw something you miss”. I did pre-covid life

6 hours ago, TsunamiFlame said:

Same. There was even a drawing assignment in art class of “draw something you miss”. I did pre-covid life

:(

64 new cases yesterday, from 439 tests, 40 on my island for a total now of 10,453. One additional death, for a total of 199. :(

@Lagie

In Oberhausen they mainly test the people they suspect to have the virus, so here the positivity rate from the tests is pretty high. The German average is 12.47%. But from the rapid tests fore non-symptomatic people, it appears as if the number of hidden infections isn't that high here (3525 rapid tests with 11 positives that need to be verified via PCR test), so it seems as if the doctors really manage to target the right people with the proper PCR tests.

Still our 7-day-incidence is over 100, so we are under lockdown with a curfew from 22:00 to 05:00 and non-essential shops closed. On the plus side, 27.1% of the populate here got their first jab, and 7.4% are fully vaccinated. We're edging forward...

----------

As of today, Friday, April 30, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 706 (+16) active cases, while 9205 (+65)  people are considered to have recovered. 318 (+1) persons sadly died. 2086 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 10 229 (+82) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 147.6 (-0.9).

Currently 64 (+3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 19 (+1) of them in intensive care, 15 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 92 862 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 55 812 (1st jab) and 15 617 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.