trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

37 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

I don't think I've worn a paper mask yet! :)

i've worn a paper mask a few times, and i hated it every time. three of the times were because i was at a hospital for an xray or a procedure, and this way, everyone wears masks that are all the same.  i've made quite a number of fun cotton fabric ones, and a few months ago i added a third layer to my masks.  i feel i can talk through them, but sometimes the customers can't hear me anyway

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, random_dragon_collector said:

I don't think I've worn a paper mask yet! :)

In Germany, "medical masks" (either FFP2 or these papery-style ones) have been mandatory for shopping or public transport for several weeks now. In a way it's a pity as many of the cloth masks look really cool, but it seems the medical ones (even the paper-y ones) are safer than the cloth ones. (Although cloth masks are of course still far better than no masks.)

-----------

As of today, Saturday, March 27, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 562 (+26) active cases, while 7467 (+52)  people are considered to have recovered. 301 (+1) persons sadly died. 1641 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 8333 (+79) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 134.7 (+3.7).

Currently 32 (+4) persons are treated in hospitals, with 7 (+2) of them in intensive care, 5 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 81 803 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen (in general) plus 1822 free fast tests (on Friday).

There have been 22 972 (1st jab) and 10 011 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

10 hours ago, Kaini said:

Getting my second dose tomorrow! Big yay!

Hooray!

My aches and fever started just before 9:30 p.m. The Panadol wore off at 3:30 a.m. It was a rough night. So much for 'I'm feeling fine'. :P

I double mask, cloth over paper. That's part of why I am so conscious of the weight of this spring mask. It's squashing the paper one down onto my nose more. I'm still very happy masks are mandated by law here.

Posted (edited)

@Lagie

I hope this will pass ASAP for you, too. I felt slightly unwell during the whole day after the jab - some shivers, some queasiness, plus pain in the arm, but the day thereafter it was already gone. And IIRC this is actually a good sign as it means that your body realised there was some enemy approaching (in this case a sheep in wolf's pelt) and starts gearing up the defence.

-----------

As of today, Sunday, March 28, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 594 (+32) active cases, while 7494 (+27)  people are considered to have recovered. 301 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1538 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 8392 (+59) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 151.4 (+16.7).

Currently 30 (-2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 9 (+2) of them in intensive care, 6 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 81 803 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen (in general) plus 1822 free fast tests (on Friday).

There have been 23 426 (1st jab) and 10 096 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

Posted (edited)

for a few weeks now, i've been going to the websites of two pharmacies (RiteAid and Walgreen's), to see if there's any open appointments near me.  every so often i'd go to the CVS website as well.  I signed up with the hospital my family doctor is associated with, and two more local hospitals as well. i also put my name on the list for my county's Health Department.  just a few days ago, i went back and checked or updated each site as much as i could.  the CDC does say "Having other cardiovascular or cerebrovascular disease, such as hypertension (high blood pressure) or stroke, might increase your risk of severe illness from COVID-19." (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html) - so i'd check the box for "heart disease" as it was the closest description.  also once a year i do get an EKG at my dr's to monitor my heart, since i am taking medication for high blood pressure.

SO this morning, i have an email from my county's health department, saying i'm eligible to schedule my vaccine!

i go wednesday after work!

i'm not sure if it's a first shot or an only shot, i'll find out when i go!

now, i don't have to say anything to my anti-vaxxer, conspiracy theory loving boss, who thinks covid was released from a lab, and the vaccine is 'gene therapy', but if i do say anything, i'm wondering if i want to tell her i'm getting chipped (another conspiracy theory) or getting my gene therapy.  someone suggested i could say i'm hoping for dinosaur dna XD)

Edited by trystan
typo, of course

They vaccinated people 65 and over in town today. What baffled me was there a notice at the local store announcing it and said to make an appointment. And I know the notice wasn't there Thursday, yet the lot at the senior citizens' center was full. 

9 hours ago, Lagie said:

I double mask, cloth over paper.

I have been doing that, too. Especially if I go places where I expect a lot of people or potentially people without masks.

In what I consider lower-risk situations I just wear the cloth mask. I can't really  get the paper ones to fit as tightly as I would like and feel I am breathing around them instead of through them.

Got my second pfizer :) Sore arm, worth it!

Still some health struggles coming for me ahead, but at least I have this.

I work in a custom garment shop, so I decorate my own cloth masks. Lately I've been wearing a Next Level cloth mask with a Next Level neck gaiter over it. The next level gaiters are 50% cotton 50% poly - I don't trust full polyester coverings.

8 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

I hope this will pass ASAP for you, too. I felt slightly unwell during the whole day after the jab - some shivers, some queasiness, plus pain in the arm, but the day thereafter it was already gone. And IIRC this is actually a good sign as it means that your body realised there was some enemy approaching (in this case a sheep in wolf's pelt) and starts gearing up the defence.

Thanks! Doing somewhat better today though still a bit achy and rather tired.

2 hours ago, trystan said:

SO this morning, i have an email from my county's health department, saying i'm eligible to schedule my vaccine!

i go wednesday after work!

i'm not sure if it's a first shot or an only shot, i'll find out when i go!

now, i don't have to say anything to my anti-vaxxer, conspiracy theory loving boss, who thinks covid was released from a lab, and the vaccine is 'gene therapy', but if i do say anything, i'm wondering if i want to tell her i'm getting chipped (another conspiracy theory) or getting my gene therapy.  someone suggested i could say i'm hoping for dinosaur dna XD)

Yay for getting your vaccine! Hope it goes well! Dinosaur!

1 hour ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

They vaccinated people 65 and over in town today. What baffled me was there a notice at the local store announcing it and said to make an appointment. And I know the notice wasn't there Thursday, yet the lot at the senior citizens' center was full. 

Grapevine? When will you be able to get yours?

21 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Yay for getting your vaccine! Hope it goes well! Dinosaur!

:D 

i was so surprised that i got the email today, when i was just on the site the other day! :blink:

4 hours ago, Lagie said:

Grapevine? When will you be able to get yours?

I'm not in the loop. But then considering the stuff that gets said in the loop, I'm ok with that.

Good question. 

Posted (edited)

Yay! My parents both got their first jab with the BioNTech vaccine earlier today! My Mom was very surprised that she didn't actually feel anything when she was injected as she always watched the numerous reports on TV and never could believe it that the people didn't show any pain when the needles where inserted into their arms, but now she said she could understand it. ^^

-----------

As of today, Monday, March 29, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 559 (-35) active cases, while 7546 (+52)  people are considered to have recovered. 304 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1473 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 8409 (+17) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 154.2 (+2.8).

Currently 41 (+11) persons are treated in hospitals, with 8 (-1) of them in intensive care, 5 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 82 735 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen (in general) plus 1510 free fast tests (on Saturday).

There have been 23 903 (1st jab) and 10 262 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

-----------

As of today, Tuesday, March 30, 10:20 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 563 (+4) active cases, while 7580 (+34)  people are considered to have recovered. 304 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1610 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 8447 (+38) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 149.0 (-5.2).

Currently 48 (+7) persons are treated in hospitals, with 8 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 5 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 82 993 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen (in general) plus 1934 free fast tests (on Monday).

There have been 24 186 (1st jab) and 10 443 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

23 minutes ago, Astreya said:

Yay! My parents both got their first jab with the BioNTech vaccine earlier today!

Very good! And yes, very pain-free, the shot. Small needle, tiny dose.

Wah, the second dose was a lil rough. I was v dead yesterday, but I'm feeling better today. It went by quick. 

2 minutes ago, Kaini said:

Wah, the second dose was a lil rough. I was v dead yesterday, but I'm feeling better today. It went by quick. 

i've heard in some cases the second dose is rougher than the first.  that happened to a friend of my daughter's.  another friend had the reverse - the first dose knocked her flat and the second was no biggie.

i'll find out what my first will be like on wednesday....

59 minutes ago, Kaini said:

I've heard that, too. Given that I'm still recovering from Friday's first dose, I think I may have to schedule time off for after the second.

Hope Wednesday's goes well, @trystan!

We are out of appointment slots so I am glad I had mine. And our case numbers continue to rise.

Posted (edited)

I just became eligible for the vaccine when my state moved to a new phase on the 23rd. Got my first dose today! Honestly it was kind of exciting, it was at the Civic Center which is the 'official health department spot', so unlike my mom (who went to a pharmacy for hers) it was kind of a Big Thing. Multiple long lines, multiple steps and lines to wait through before even getting to the 'wait for shot' line, the entire building was converted into a huge Vaccine Hub. It just felt kind of like 'woah, this is a Big Deal'. 

My 2nd dose is scheduled for April 19th, which might be chaotic and very very difficult... My mom's knee surgery should be around that time (not sure on the date yet) so she'll most likely be in the hospital or rehab on that date. Which means I'll have to ask my peer support lady if she can take me. I guess I could take a cab if really needed, though I'd rather not. The bigger challenge will be keeping my anxiety at a manageable level so I actually can go through the vaccine process, I know from experience how uncontrollable my anxiety can be through the entirety of mom's surgery and rehab. 

As of Friday the total Covid deaths in my city were 819, including 24 new cases and 2 new deaths reported Friday. ..... Yet people still act like we are 'past it' and 'it's fine now'. Ugh.

edit: Also, got a vaccination sticker!

Spoiler

IMG_20210329_133122.thumb.jpg.c96a25813ab9b4de87908be8a752aba3.jpg

Edited by HeatherMarie

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

edit: Also, got a vaccination sticker!

Hide contents

IMG_20210329_133122.thumb.jpg.c96a25813ab9b4de87908be8a752aba3.jpg

Yay for sticker! I thought we were the only ones doing that.

A lot of Bahamians are trying to pretend everything's business as usual when it's not.

@HeatherMarie I LOVE that mask!!

I think I am now eligible for the vaccine, but I'm having trouble navigating/understanding the state/county site. I did submit a survey that is supposed to generate an email to let me know, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Posted (edited)

Pity we didn't get any stickers.

In Germany, the vaccination chaos continues. After there was another case of a 47-year old woman who died from thrombosis after an AstraZeneca two days ago, now the STIKO advice is that only people over 60 are allowed to be vaccinated with AZ as the thrombosis risk mainly appeared with younger persons. (In Germany there were 31 cases of this cerebral venous sinus thrombosis so far, 9 of the patients dying from it).

Of course I'm under 60 and got a first AZ vaccination, and now it appears as if I won't be able to get the 2nd AZ jab as planned, but instead I might get a full new vaccination (1st and 2nd jab) with the BioNTech vaccine. The only drawback is that there is no idea when they will give out appointments for that.

Considering the fact, that my 2nd AZ jab was supposed to be mid-June (AZ works better with the 2nd jab about 3 months later after all), so far nothing changes for me anyway. And who knows - maybe until then there are new study results that will change things once more.

In Oberhausen, hospitalisations due to Covid-19 increase markedly by now:

----------

As of today, Wednesday, March 31, 10:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 578 (+15) active cases, while 7621 (+41)  people are considered to have recovered. 304 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1611 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 8503 (+46) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 149.0 (+-0).

Currently 60 (+12) persons are treated in hospitals, with 8 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 6 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 83 142 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen (in general) plus 2225 free fast tests (on Tuesday).

There have been 24 494 (1st jab) and 10 603 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

----------

As of today, Thursday, April 1, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 555 (-23) active cases, while 7695 (+74)  people are considered to have recovered. 304 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1584 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 8554 (+51) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 127.6 (-21.4).

Currently 59 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (+3) of them in intensive care, 6 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 83 226 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen (in general) plus 2607 free fast tests (on Tuesday).

There have been 25 017 (1st jab) and 10 772 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

19 minutes ago, Astreya said:

now it appears as if I won't be able to get the 2nd AZ jab as planned

On the radio, they said that people who want the 2nd one to be AZ can still get it.

Posted (edited)

@Ruby Eyes

Frankly, I would prefer not to get it as my grandfather died from a stroke (due to a thrombosis in the brain) and my father has a history of blood clotting, too (he is even gets a Marcumar treatment). Thus it is not unlikely that I might have a greater risk for blood clotting stuff, too. Even if jab no.1 seems to have gone okay, why then risk number two if it is not necessary?

Edited by Astreya

10 minutes ago, Astreya said:

and my father has a history of blood clotting, too (he is even gets a Marcumar treatment)

As does mine - he says he'll take AZ though since he already is on said medication, and he believes it would prevent that type of issues for him.

Naturally, I don't believe he has talked to a doctor about that yet.

(His 70th birthday will be in December - I wonder what will happen earlier: that his *current* priority group gets him the jab, or that he turns 70 and thus "qualifies" for the higher priority group's jab.)

@Ruby Eyes Medication against blood clotting is certainly not the worst thing to prevent the thrombosis stuff. The drawback is that normally any i.m. injection is not allowed. Fortunately the vaccination needles are so thin that they pose little risk. My dad put his INR to 2.0 for the vaccination, which the doctor in the vaccination centre appreciated.

so in 3-1/2 hours i get my first (?) jab of a vaccine. based on what someone on one of my other forums said, for her county (which is two counties over from me) is seems that the county heath departments seem to get the Pfizer, the pharmacies get the Moderna, and the J&J goes to educators.  if that's accurate for my county, i'd get the Pfizer.

since i've no idea what kind of side effects i'll have or not have, and since Murphy's Law is a thing, i did end up telling my boss that i was "getting the covid jab" - didn't call it a vaccine, didn't need to hear her tell me it's "gene therapy" - because i have things that have to get done tomorrow. BUT, for as behind in tech as my office is (we use Access from Office 2000 and a WinXP server), the information i need tomorrow is available online! yaay!  so, if i take home the information to get what i need - i'll be fine and will be into work tomorrow. XD

also, i'm feeling a little anxious about the jab too. (i was the same way with my previous flu shot and shingles vaccine #1, too...)