trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

@Lagie

Yeah, Ibuprofen shouldn't make a difference. By the way, the doctors here advise that people should take some Paracetamol before getting the AZ jab as it prevents some of the reactions to the jab. Sadly I'm allergic to about all free painkillers, so there's neither Paracetamol nor Ibuprofen nor Aspirin, nor Diclofenac for me. *sighs*

9 hours ago, Astreya said:

By the way, the doctors here advise that people should take some Paracetamol before getting the AZ jab as it prevents some of the reactions to the jab.

Interesting. A few people here (non-medical ones) have said take a couple after, but no one's suggested before. I guess it's worth a try. Sorry you can't take any, though. I hope your shot goes well.

Well, it's a pill, so it takes a little time to start working on whatever it is supposed to work on.

@Lagie

So, I did get the jab with AZ, and they assured me it should be okay for me. As I didn't get an anaphylactic shock, they were obviously right so far - but in Germany the people are monitored for 15 to 30 minutes after the jab anyway, so I felt sufficiently safe. Other than that I'm 100% fine so far. (5 hours after getting the vaccine.) Let's see how things will look tomorrow...

By the way, my brother and sister-in-law who were vaccinated two weeks ago, did kind of a !placebo-controlled test! with paracetamol, that is, my brother took paracetamol before the jab and had no side-effects, while my s-i-l didn't take any and got shivers, headaches and stuff during the night and following day. So in their case taking paracetamol was the better option.

-----------

As of today, Wednesday, March 24, 13:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 422 (+-0) active cases, while 7355 (+40)  people are considered to have recovered. 301 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1531 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 8078 (+40) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 108,7 (-7.5).

Currently 36 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 6 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 3 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 81 494 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen (in general) plus 1046 free fast tests (just on Tuesday).

There have been 21 729 (1st jab) and 9921 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

My cousin-the-doctor who was going to check on me on Friday (but now can't as I have been told I have to reschedule to the other location) has a theory that people with a more severe reaction to the vaccine may in fact have had Covid and not known they had it. This seems to have been borne out with our staff as three of them had their shots yesterday and the only one still feeling like death warmed over today is the only one we know who actually had Covid. So my cousin's theory may be correct.

10 minutes ago, Lagie said:

My cousin-the-doctor who was going to check on me on Friday (but now can't as I have been told I have to reschedule to the other location) has a theory that people with a more severe reaction to the vaccine may in fact have had Covid and not known they had it. This seems to have been borne out with our staff as three of them had their shots yesterday and the only one still feeling like death warmed over today is the only one we know who actually had Covid. So my cousin's theory may be correct.

ooh good theory!

i'll mention it to my mom, who's going to visit my brother and his family this weekend. my mom is vaccinated, and never had side effects.  my brother is also vaccinated, but he was sick last year (about this time last year?) and by the time he was able to get his antibodies checked in June 2020, he didn't have any... but there's the possibility that he'd had a mild case of covid last year (just shortness of breath and ....a fever, i think was all he had.  or was it a cough?)  so.... i'll ask my mom to find out if he had any kind of more severe reaction than usual.

meanwhile, i'm still checking the walgreens, rite aid, and cvs websites.  the vaccine appointments are always all booked up.

@Lagie

That's an interesting theory! So far I don't feel anything from the vaccination after 10 hours. Not even the area where I was pricked feels any different. My temperature which was 36.4°C earlier is now 36.9°C which for me is pretty high. But as I don't usually get fever (which is actually not a good thing), we'll have to see how things develop.

Edited by Astreya

yep, this is an anecdotal thing as of now~

this was in one of my links in my HuffPost email from yesterday - https://www.huffpost.com/entry/covid-vaccine-side-effects-predict-symptoms_l_605a09dcc5b66a80f4eb23c0

There have been reported cases in which those who previously had the virus endured harsher side effects after they received their vaccines.

“Anecdotally, it does appear that people who may have had COVID-19 before their vaccine do tend to have those longer duration of symptoms,” Kelley added. “But we’re still gathering additional scientific data to really support this.”

In this morning today, my temperature was 37.8°C after getting up, which is pretty high for me. About 3 hours later I was back to 36.3°C though. Since then my upper arm hurts a little - one can't see anything, not even a swelling, but it feels as I someone punched me there. Other than that I'm fine.

-----------

As of today, Thursday, March 25, 13:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 467 (+45) active cases, while 7375 (+20)  people are considered to have recovered. 302 (+1) persons sadly died. 1532 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 8144 (+66) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 106.8 (-1.9).

Currently 28 (-8) persons are treated in hospitals, with 6 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 3 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 81 604 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen (in general) plus 1010 free fast tests (just on Wednesday).

There have been 22 297 (1st jab) and 9781 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

I have had no reaction whatsoever to my vaccination, which I got on Monday. I expected at least an achy arm, but so far none.

So the first hospital called me to say 'no, you can't come here, we're only doing employees' to which I said the website where you register told me to go to a hospital because of the drug allergy. Tough, go to Loyola Hall like everyone else. So my boss, who set this up, calls his cousin who is the head nurse at the Loyola Hall setup and she says basically 'oh heck no, she HAS to go to a hospital, we DO NOT  want to see her here'. So he then calls a friend at the other hospital who initially says 'no, it's only employees' just as the first did, but when my boss repeats what the website said and what the head nurse at Loyola Hall said, the other guy says 'fine, send her here' so I will be having my shot as scheduled tomorrow morning though not at the hospital where it was originally scheduled (shame as I have relatives who work at the first one). 

4 minutes ago, Lagie said:

So the first hospital called me to say 'no, you can't come here, we're only doing employees' to which I said the website where you register told me to go to a hospital because of the drug allergy. Tough, go to Loyola Hall like everyone else. So my boss, who set this up, calls his cousin who is the head nurse at the Loyola Hall setup and she says basically 'oh heck no, she HAS to go to a hospital, we DO NOT  want to see her here'. So he then calls a friend at the other hospital who initially says 'no, it's only employees' just as the first did, but when my boss repeats what the website said and what the head nurse at Loyola Hall said, the other guy says 'fine, send her here' so I will be having my shot as scheduled tomorrow morning though not at the hospital where it was originally scheduled (shame as I have relatives who work at the first one). 

Phew!  At least you're getting the shot, yeah!

Just now, random_dragon_collector said:

Phew!  At least you're getting the shot, yeah!

Yes, that is definitely the plus side of that rather rambling post. :D

@Lagie

I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for you that everything works out fine!

Ouch. Cases really seem to explode now in Oberhausen, too. I'm really glad that my parents' vaccination finally will be on Sunday morning - that's no day too soon!  So far the hospitalisation stay even, but that won't last as that number follows the infections by 1-2 weeks.

-----------

As of today, Friday, March 26, 13:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 536 (+69) active cases, while 7415 (+40)  people are considered to have recovered. 303 (+1) persons sadly died. 1625 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 8354 (+90) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 131.0 (+24.2).

Currently 28 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 5 (-1) of them in intensive care, 5 (-2) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 81 666 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen (in general) plus 1004 free fast tests (just on Thursday).

There have been 22 495 (1st jab) and 9866 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

21 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for you that everything works out fine!

All went well! (Though the hospital system is s...l...o...w... People at the other location take about 45 minutes. I was at the hospital two and a half HOURS. :rolleyes: ) I didn't even feel it.

And we get stickers. :D

Screenshot_20210326-135958.thumb.png.ab88f4e65693622ee615c92d82b7cd01.png

Our case numbers are increasing, too, which is worrying. There are rumours floating around that we will be locked down over Easter weekend (which, frankly, I would enjoy - an extra couple of days off!).

I'm getting glances for wearing a mask when others aren't. And, damn it, I read the list of who can get vaccinated right now in this state and who is still ineligible. Most of the glances are coming from ineligible people. *fumes*

Same as it ever was. I'm on the wrong side of things even if it's the right side to be on.

Mask wearing is still political.

@Lagie

The sticker fits nicely with your outfit XD

As for the time needed for the vaccination - on my information leaflet they wrote one should expect 60-90 minutes time, but in my case it went so smoothly that I only took 45 minutes including the monitoring time afterwards. Looks like the local vaccination centres are good for something at least.

In Germany, the MInisterpresident conference of the Bundesländer (plus Angie+Jens) last weekend wanted to set up a strict lockdown over Easter, but they set up things so stupidly, that they had to retract the whole idea (and Chancellor Angela Merkel decided to shoulder the whole blame and apologised publicly - but then, she will step down in Autumn and doesn't have to worry about voters anymore). Let's hope people will stay cautious anyway, but I fear the worst.

@Long_Before_Sunrise

That's sad indeed. I really hope you'll stay safe until you get vaccinated!

Edited by Astreya

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

The sticker fits nicely with your outfit XD

In fact it blended so well, most people didn't notice it! XD Though the cashier at the food store did ask questions about how it had been.

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

@Long_Before_Sunrise

That's sad indeed. I really hope you'll stay safe until you get vaccinated!

Agreed! Stay safe and stay masked!

18 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

Nice sticker, @Lagie, nice mask, too! :D

Thanks! The mask was made by the mother of a friend of mine. She also made the snowman one I wore from Christmas till Monday. This is from her spring line. Oddly, it's a slightly heavier fabric than the winter one was. I feel like I really have to enunciate to be heard through this one.

I have a couple I bought online that are that way--almost too heavy for anyone to hear me.  I bought one set that I've used a lot where the makers donated as many as I bought to health centers, etc.  I also have a friend who made me some really cool ones with different fabrics, including one with bats for Halloween.  When did all this start?  Over a year ago?  I don't think I've worn a paper mask yet! :)

Edited by random_dragon_collector

Getting my second dose tomorrow! Big yay!

Directed a friend to get theirs today - I still closely follow openings and I caught a mass site that had 200 doses left that expired in two hours. Sent him on his way and he made it!

37 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

I don't think I've worn a paper mask yet! :)

i've worn a paper mask a few times, and i hated it every time. three of the times were because i was at a hospital for an xray or a procedure, and this way, everyone wears masks that are all the same.  i've made quite a number of fun cotton fabric ones, and a few months ago i added a third layer to my masks.  i feel i can talk through them, but sometimes the customers can't hear me anyway

9 hours ago, random_dragon_collector said:

I don't think I've worn a paper mask yet! :)

In Germany, "medical masks" (either FFP2 or these papery-style ones) have been mandatory for shopping or public transport for several weeks now. In a way it's a pity as many of the cloth masks look really cool, but it seems the medical ones (even the paper-y ones) are safer than the cloth ones. (Although cloth masks are of course still far better than no masks.)

-----------

As of today, Saturday, March 27, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 562 (+26) active cases, while 7467 (+52)  people are considered to have recovered. 301 (+1) persons sadly died. 1641 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 8333 (+79) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 134.7 (+3.7).

Currently 32 (+4) persons are treated in hospitals, with 7 (+2) of them in intensive care, 5 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 81 803 Covid-19 PCR tests in Oberhausen (in general) plus 1822 free fast tests (on Friday).

There have been 22 972 (1st jab) and 10 011 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya